Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

View Poll Results: What is one extra nation you'd like to see on the '14 schedule?
Spain (Catalunya, Jerez, Aragon...) 3 3.23%
Italy (Monza, Mugello, Imola...) 38 40.86%
Malaysia (Sepang) 4 4.30%
South Korea (Yeongam) 1 1.08%
Australia (Phillip Island, Bathurst, Eastern Creek...) 10 10.75%
Germany (Nurburgring, Hockenheim, Oschersleben...) 17 18.28%
Canada (Montreal, Mosport, Mont Tremblant...) 10 10.75%
Portugal (Estoril, Portimao...) 3 3.23%
UAE (Dubai, Yas Marina...) 2 2.15%
Other (please specify...) 5 5.38%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 6 Sep 2013, 20:19 (Ref:3299979)   #126
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/109677 8Star looking to reenter WEC LMP2 next year. Optimistic or what?
Old 7 Sep 2013, 01:16 (Ref:3300058)   #127
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
I work with a number of multi-lingual people, people of great intelligence, and it frequently amazes me that people much smarter than I cannot control their own pride enough to admit that their grasp of English idiom is less than perfect.

As I result I have seen some truly horrendous translations, things which a semi-literate 12-year-old would catch.

But "Sox Hours of" might not be a sign of that---it might be an even greater arrogance, on which says that the English-speaking market can put up of buzz off. Look at the WEC home page---"Discover, Follow, Vibrate"?

And below that "Boutique Officielle." Hmmm ... slick translation. Not quite up to Google's exacting standards, though.

"These Americans, what do they know? They don't even speak real English, and as for the English? Who cares?"

What cracks me up (and simultaneously depresses and nauseates me) is that FIA has the example of F1 to follow, if it wants to know how to market a racing series around the world.
It shouldn't really nauseate anyone to see a racing series be successful...

As far as the website and general marketing goes, they need to rethink things completely. Have some serious sponsors like Emirates and Rolex and advertise heavily on television. Also, I'd like to suggest expanding the full, live, 6 hour coverage to the US and Canada, also.

And to one of your points, I feel quite fine exposing my weaknesses in language. I'm (obviously) fluent in English as it's my first language and can get along in simpler conversation en francais but that's just about it. :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
While we're speculating on many things, we have the second confirmed date for a WEC race next year: the race at Interlagos is scheduled for the weekend of Aug 29-31.

https://www.facebook.com/EnduranceIn...51855666655428
Great news! I was a bit unsure about that, since Interlagos is supposed to have a pit lane relocation sometime in the near future.

I really love that track...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Stuff like that is really off putting, but the homepage has gotten a bit better, at least it now feels like someone is actually writing the news stories instead of just translating them.

Another sign of this is regularly putting a space between the last letter and exclamation mark (which is ok in French?). Like this ! It does not look professional ! Really !
I'm going to start posting like that... !

I've never seen it used in France myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/109677 8Star looking to reenter WEC LMP2 next year. Optimistic or what?
Optimistic? Yes! Stupid? YES!!!

OK, let's look at it this way:

2 full season DPs in the USCR
2 full season P2s in the USCR
1+ full season Ferrari in the WEC
1+ full season P2 in the WEC

Mr. Potolicchio has to be somewhat off his rocker...
Old 7 Sep 2013, 08:10 (Ref:3300118)   #128
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If 8Star move up to P2 in the WEC then they will ditch the Ferrari most likely.
Old 7 Sep 2013, 08:23 (Ref:3300120)   #129
morningview66
Racer

morningview66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmorningview66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
Optimistic? Yes! Stupid? YES!!!

OK, let's look at it this way:

2 full season DPs in the USCR
2 full season P2s in the USCR
1+ full season Ferrari in the WEC
1+ full season P2 in the WEC

Mr. Potolicchio has to be somewhat off his rocker...
Apparently they must have discovered the whole country of Venezuela is made simply of oil.
Old 7 Sep 2013, 08:35 (Ref:3300124)   #130
avvelenamento
Racer

avvelenamento User had had their licence endorsedavvelenamento User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
If 8Star move up to P2 in the WEC then they will ditch the Ferrari most likely.
Actually the 458 of 8star motorsport is managed by AF Corse, very likely Potolicchio is not the owner of the car.
Old 7 Sep 2013, 08:48 (Ref:3300129)   #131
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by avvelenamento View Post
Actually the 458 of 8star motorsport is managed by AF Corse, very likely Potolicchio is not the owner of the car.
No, but he's paying for the car to be run, so it's still his money going into that car.
Old 7 Sep 2013, 08:52 (Ref:3300130)   #132
avvelenamento
Racer

avvelenamento User had had their licence endorsedavvelenamento User had had their licence endorsed
of course he pays, AF corse is not caritas for rich am driver
Old 7 Sep 2013, 12:00 (Ref:3300153)   #133
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think the least we can expect is 28 cars full season in 2014. It's never been lower than that before and we're getting more firm interest. There are still so many gaps to fill though (note this is who I personally expect to see next year and it's probably inaccurate)

2 Audis
2 Porsches
2 Toyotas
2 Rebellions

2 OAKs (minimum)
1 8Star Entry of some description
2 ADR/G-Drive
2 AMR
2 AF Corse

I make that 17 entrants I consider certain...or, rather, "certain" in endurance racing terms. It's an entry lacking Porsches, Corvettes, Domes, a couple more Orecas and HPDs and you'd expect a Lola or Lotus in there too.

All speculation of course (as per thread title) but I'm expect around a dozen or so more entry confirmations and it will be interesting the see the cars and classes of the entries.
Old 7 Sep 2013, 12:15 (Ref:3300154)   #134
avvelenamento
Racer

My bet:

LMP1
2 audi (third at spa and le mans)
2 porsche (third at spa and le mans)
2 toyota
1 rebellion r-one (maybe a second chassis at le mans or selected rounds)
1 strakka HPD coupè

LMP2
2 or 3 oak morgan
1 pecom oreca 03
1 8star oreca 03
1 or 2 adr delta / G-drive oreca 03
1 krohn racing oreca 03 ?
1 or 2 dome ?
1 or 2 adess ?

GTPRO

2 af corse
2 AMR
1 felbermayr or manthey 991

GTAM, beyond af corse, imsa and proton is too much hard to predict so far.

Honestly I can't expect other lmp1 for le mans. Maybe just kodewa/kolles/adess stepping up to lmp1, but very unlikely
Old 7 Sep 2013, 12:15 (Ref:3300155)   #135
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Manthey have already said they will be back have they not?
Old 7 Sep 2013, 16:34 (Ref:3300216)   #136
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FstrthnU View Post
http://speedblog.speed.com/speed/spo...-wec-notebook/

RAM Racing taking a look at moving up to WEC with their Ferraris
We are forgetting this in our speculative entry lists, gentlemen.
Old 7 Sep 2013, 16:48 (Ref:3300223)   #137
avvelenamento
Racer

Yeah, they own a 2013 chassis if am I not wrong. 1 entry for GTAM is sure.
Old 7 Sep 2013, 18:09 (Ref:3300236)   #138
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Yeah, they own a 2013 chassis if am I not wrong. 1 entry for GTAM is sure.
I'd love to see RAM in the WEC. If they could update one car and run a Pro + Am I think that would be a good solution for them.
Old 7 Sep 2013, 21:00 (Ref:3300285)   #139
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
I'd love to see RAM in the WEC. If they could update one car and run a Pro + Am I think that would be a good solution for them.
Yes, maybe Johnny Mowlem, Guy Smith, and Matt Griffin in the Pro car and Jeannette and Montecalvo in the Am car. Sounds like a good lineup to me.
Old 7 Sep 2013, 21:17 (Ref:3300288)   #140
avvelenamento
Racer

Their 2013 car could be used in gt-am, but I don't know if the 2012 model could be updated to 2014 spec. Or maybe they could update to 2014 the 2013 spec and run in GT-AM with the 2012 spec updated with the 2013 parts taken from the other car. Don't know, but in my opinion they will run in gtam because in WEC and LM nowadays gtpro class is work/official teams playground, no chances for private teams. Jaime Melo (if is free to leave brazil because of his trouble with the law) could be a good third driver for the am line-up.
Old 7 Sep 2013, 21:54 (Ref:3300301)   #141
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Their 2013 car could be used in gt-am, but I don't know if the 2012 model could be updated to 2014 spec. Or maybe they could update to 2014 the 2013 spec and run in GT-AM with the 2012 spec updated with the 2013 parts taken from the other car. Don't know, but in my opinion they will run in gtam because in WEC and LM nowadays gtpro class is work/official teams playground, no chances for private teams. Jaime Melo (if is free to leave brazil because of his trouble with the law) could be a good third driver for the am line-up.
Oh I forgot about Mr. Melo - a bit of a shameful individual it seems but a cracking good driver, that's for certain. I wouldn't mind seeing him return if he behaves himself.
Old 10 Sep 2013, 06:30 (Ref:3301348)   #142
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Interesting 8Star story in Racer (already posted in the USCR thread). They certainly don't lack ambition. Entering LMP2, DP and LMPC in that series and continuing in WEC with their 458 by the sound of it. Also likely to become either Morgan or ORECA agent in US.
I also found Enzo's observation of the strengths of USCR vs WEC interesting. USCR has Daytona, Sebring and Petit LM. WEC 'only' has Le Mans. In other words, the other rounds of the WEC lack the cachet of those other long running events. With the casual fan, and big sponsors, in mind, I think he has a point. Yay, let's go back to Bahrain!

http://www.racer.com/8star-planning-...rticle/310929/
Old 10 Sep 2013, 16:34 (Ref:3301538)   #143
pablocomics
Racer

Spain
Madrid
pablocomics should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aren't you forgetting about the OAK lmp1?
Old 10 Sep 2013, 16:43 (Ref:3301541)   #144
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
Interesting 8Star story in Racer (already posted in the USCR thread). They certainly don't lack ambition. Entering LMP2, DP and LMPC in that series and continuing in WEC with their 458 by the sound of it. Also likely to become either Morgan or ORECA agent in US.
I also found Enzo's observation of the strengths of USCR vs WEC interesting. USCR has Daytona, Sebring and Petit LM. WEC 'only' has Le Mans. In other words, the other rounds of the WEC lack the cachet of those other long running events. With the casual fan, and big sponsors, in mind, I think he has a point. Yay, let's go back to Bahrain!

I get the point that USCR has Daytona, Sebring and PLM. Having said that, most would agree that since becoming a National event, with lesser cars, the value of Daytona has greatly diminished. Now Sebring and PLM will also be faced with these lesser cars, so it would seem from an International Calendar perspective, attendance count and attractiveness for sponsors, will become lesser events. Even though they have been relatively big events in our sport, they are both small niche events to big sponsors and reduction in quality makes them less attractive.
Old 10 Sep 2013, 16:47 (Ref:3301544)   #145
avvelenamento
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablocomics View Post
Aren't you forgetting about the OAK lmp1?
I fear that OAK racing too forgot about their lmp1 project
Old 10 Sep 2013, 17:02 (Ref:3301553)   #146
carsten66
Veteran

Germany
Heidelberg, Germany
carsten66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post

The strengths of the USCR...? That remains to be seen. As always it depends on ones viewpoint. You can look at it like old hat or get ecstatic about it. I agree, Daytona, Sebring and Petit LM sounds great but all races will be without P1's and how many P2's we will be seen on the grid that's so far extremely questionable. Some big teams like Enzo obviously seems to have deep pockets and therefore no problems with buying big time new cars like a shot in the dark. But I think the no-rule-situation puts many teams in a precarious financial situation. Maybe I'm wrong but I see some teams migrating to the WEC. Honestly I hope the best for the new series and all worked out well, although I'm not a big fan of all that DP stuff.

Old 20 Sep 2013, 22:03 (Ref:3306818)   #147
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
The 2014 FIA WEC schedule is about to be released in a press conference at Circuit of the Americas!
Old 20 Sep 2013, 22:12 (Ref:3306822)   #148
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
And it's identical to this year.
Old 20 Sep 2013, 22:15 (Ref:3306824)   #149
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
THE UNOFFICIAL 2014 FIA WEC CALENDAR:

Official Test at Paul Ricard HTTT - March 28-29
Round 1 - Silverstone - April 18-20
Round 2 - Spa - May 9-10
Le Mans Test - June 1
Round 3 - Le Mans - June 14-15
Round 4 - Interlagos - August 29-31
Round 5 - COTA - September 19-21
Round 6 - Fuji - October 10-12
Round 7 - Shanghai - October 31-Nov 1
Round 8 - Bahrain - November 13-15

Glad to see that Spa is still on the calendar after a few silly season rumblings...
Old 20 Sep 2013, 22:17 (Ref:3306827)   #150
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Stability-induced yawn.