Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 24 Jul 2015, 19:00 (Ref:3560641)   #126
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Said Talbot, in the rain.
Love that Gary.

Maybe Silverstone is not such a "challenged" photographic locationc after all. Just needs the sprinklers turned on.
Old 24 Jul 2015, 19:07 (Ref:3560642)   #127
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands View Post
The SC should be on pole of a couple of races
Still hammering down, last qually appears to have restarted. Have given up and returned to the campsite.
If the weather continues as is the SC may lead and win a few events over the weekend.
Old 24 Jul 2015, 19:39 (Ref:3560645)   #128
percy
Racer

percy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A few pics from today

Old 24 Jul 2015, 22:12 (Ref:3560663)   #129
Normal Bloke
Rookie

Normal Bloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Although it was flattering to have a lot of people gazing at our cars, there were too many public in the garages today.....I know it was wet and they had to shelter from the rain but one of them trod on my hand whilst I was changing a wheel FFS
Old 25 Jul 2015, 05:17 (Ref:3560680)   #130
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
The whole thing is letting the public in and get close to cars.
With the weather as it is the promotors could be in for GBH of the wallet and the paying public provide the margin.

It's something that we all have to live with.
You already have people posting that they are baracaded off from some cars in the wing but always thought that paddock was definitely inferior to the national paddock!
The problem is that by 1 pm today the old paddock wil be clearing and by 2 pm tomorrow empty .So the days the public arrive the paddocks are clearing or empty.
That Goodwood lot know a thing or two about keeping the punters happy.
It's a difficult one to manage.
Old 25 Jul 2015, 05:30 (Ref:3560682)   #131
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
After finally getting dried out, have got to feel sorry for the organizers, they have spent the last 6-7 months hyping the event up then to have such poor weather for possibly 2 out of the 3 days is a real shame.

Looking forward to better weather today so hopefully can see the cars get a proper run.

Anyhow here my vid from Fridays action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t39Df3yQ08
Old 25 Jul 2015, 05:43 (Ref:3560683)   #132
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
There are days when you wonder why you go motor racing, and yesterday was one of them! Don't think I've ever been so cold and wet in mid July...... (But probably have, and probably in UK!)

Agree with both previous posts re garage access. There are times, when changing a DFV in an HF1, for instance, when you need more space than being given by curious onlookers. But just fencing 'your' garage off the instant you have set up is not good form IMO.

Yesterday's weather made a complete farce of many qualifying sessions, several being run completely under SC. Some two driver races consisted of 3 laps, SC then in with train, driver change and another 3 laps. Still no idea how grid positions will be calculated!

The Marshal's Social at Delta base camp was very quiet, but amazed any turned up at all after the day they had endured!

And thanks but no thanks to whoever it was blasting music out of the PA system just after 5am this morning!
Old 25 Jul 2015, 05:50 (Ref:3560684)   #133
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Interesting You Tube

Practise continued whilst the marshals were dragging another broken car from awkward position with large tractor.

What's the feeling of the marshals as they seem to be putting themselves in harms way ?
Old 25 Jul 2015, 07:10 (Ref:3560697)   #134
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With the 356 not completing a timed lap, it doesn't look like we have made it onto the qualification list. Will need JR to charm our way onto the back of the grid!
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 25 Jul 2015, 07:38 (Ref:3560699)   #135
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Yesterday was just horrible, I gave up at about 5pm.

Was freezing cold, wet and windswept. I hung around just long enough to see the Group C cars, but I quit after about 10 minutes and went home. I didn't see the Silk Cut Jag out either.

Having said all that, ive been going to Silverstone since 1991 and I think I can count the number of actual rainy days on the one hand. Maybe I don't go to that many meetings though!
Old 25 Jul 2015, 08:04 (Ref:3560707)   #136
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sadly not going to make it now (first time for years) but I must confess that the above posts re conditions has somewhat alleviated my disappointment. I hope that things improve and that all Tenthers, and indeed all other competitors go well and get to enjoy themselves.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 25 Jul 2015, 08:46 (Ref:3560710)   #137
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Will get my report in early . Started p33 up to p25 first lap best start ever then gear linkage broke lap 2 . Bit scary as I was coming d
Round woodcote in third went for fourth got second spun heading for pit wall missed that then facing the wrong way looking at 20 or so juniors missing me . Phew!!!!
Old 25 Jul 2015, 09:10 (Ref:3560713)   #138
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oh no! I wondered why you didn't come past Maggots 2nd time round. Lost interest in the race and went back to the stand.

I know Silverstone is expensive but yesterday proved why. They had enough staff to keep toilets clean and working on the camp site, the walkways are well drained and today you'd barely know just how bad it was yesterday from what I've seen (unless you know better!). Bit quiet trade wise so far, but my feet are warmer than they've been for 24 Hours! I may regret wearing these Nomex lined boots later but just now it's luuurvly.
Old 25 Jul 2015, 13:48 (Ref:3560736)   #139
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great to see and hear a 38 car grid of F1 cars this afternoon. Looking forward to more good racing during the day and hope this is a passing shower.
Sunshine greeting the SuperTCC
Old 25 Jul 2015, 14:55 (Ref:3560758)   #140
YorkshireLad
Veteran

United Kingdom
skipton, north yorkshire
YorkshireLad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Expected to see the whole grid in the GT session. No merc, no Ferrari etc
Old 25 Jul 2015, 20:58 (Ref:3561018)   #141
jodi
Racer

United Kingdom
Northants
jodi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's been a great weekend for us so far! We're the last race of the day tomorrow, keep an eye out for #26 and #127 in Battle of Britain. We're also set up in international paddock in the overflow section
Old 25 Jul 2015, 22:17 (Ref:3561046)   #142
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Enjoyed the racing and the weather today.
Big crowds at the northern end of the circuit and things seemed to go to plan on track apart from several oil spills around Luffield.
The F1 and big bangers were great and lots of GTs were also good to see.
Forecast isn't too clever for tomorrow so a covered grandstand appears to be the plan.
Old 25 Jul 2015, 22:41 (Ref:3561052)   #143
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Ive never seen Silverstone as full as I did today. Despite that, a lot of the grandstands were less than half full, strange.

Great atmosphere though without doubt.
Old 26 Jul 2015, 06:23 (Ref:3561093)   #144
brands
Veteran

Day three has dawned bright, forecast is dire.
Hope the rain isn't as bad as Friday, seen too much of the SC already this meeting.
Old 26 Jul 2015, 08:37 (Ref:3561128)   #145
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Starting to rain now. If anyone is buying food here go to the Paddock Diner. Just had a great hot breakfast for 2/3rd the price of a pasty!

My friends back home tell me it is wet, I fear it's on its way.
Old 26 Jul 2015, 08:52 (Ref:3561143)   #146
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
The BBC weather radar shows a massive band of rain from now until about 17:00 - 18:00
Old 26 Jul 2015, 09:03 (Ref:3561154)   #147
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
went for a run at 7am in Sunny Sussex, its now dark and wet, glad I'm not there!
Old 26 Jul 2015, 09:06 (Ref:3561157)   #148
brands
Veteran

Rain blowing several rows into the Club grandstand, the joys of motorsport.
Simon's car control through Club is amazing.
Old 26 Jul 2015, 09:13 (Ref:3561165)   #149
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Delta fixed his gear linkage and is sitting in the collecting area as we speak. Fingers crossed he has a good race!

I've loaded up everything that could be before the rain started. The Delta built E Type is out after lunch, guess the rainX will be a certainty!

Old 26 Jul 2015, 10:14 (Ref:3561188)   #150
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Delta fixed his gear linkage and is sitting in the collecting area as we speak. Fingers crossed he has a good race!

I've loaded up everything that could be before the rain started. The Delta built E Type is out after lunch, guess the rainX will be a certainty!

Hmm.

Watching the live timing and listening to the commentary it might have been better if Iain had had an incurable gear linkage problem?