Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Who should have been given victory?
Giancarlo Fisichella (Jordan) 76 74.51%
Kimi Raikkonen (McLaren) 26 25.49%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 7 Apr 2003, 16:09 (Ref:561785)   #126
Hungary 89
Racer

England
Midlands (England)
Hungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am probably repeating myself but I feel really uncomfortable with a set of rules which allows a driver to lead across the start finish line, for the race to be subsequently stopped and he not be declared the winner

To be honest I don't feel comfortable thinking that a driver who is clearly leading the race when a race is stopped should be awarded anything other than first place but I can see reasons why that should be.

Maybe the answer is to start using the intermediates as well as the start finish line for classification in these unusual circumstances

Any thoughts on that idea?
Old 7 Apr 2003, 16:21 (Ref:561803)   #127
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
rules is rules
Old 7 Apr 2003, 16:30 (Ref:561826)   #128
Hungary 89
Racer

England
Midlands (England)
Hungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by alesi95
rules is rules
Accepted but we had a rule last year that allowed a driver to hand victory to another driver an the finish line of a GP that was soon changed when it was seen that it was clearly unfair

I consider my self a bit of a fanatic and am willing to accept a number of the foybles that this sport has but I found it a little difficult to explain to a number of work colleagues How a car clearly leading the race at the end should be classified second

PS Alesi Canada 1995 Superb!!!!
Old 7 Apr 2003, 16:31 (Ref:561829)   #129
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
rules is rules
But what rule? there are 2 (that have been posted by others) that contradict one another.
Old 7 Apr 2003, 17:04 (Ref:561859)   #130
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I recall that in Canada in '97, (another race Coulthard should have won) Panis' accident stopped the race and the winner was declared. There was no celebration on the Podium despite Jacques' famous "What's the big deal, he's not dead comment?"

My wife and I are both Kimi fans (but miss Mika) and felt that Kimi's public face was not Comme il faut.
Old 7 Apr 2003, 18:24 (Ref:561930)   #131
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Um.... yes."
Old 7 Apr 2003, 18:42 (Ref:561953)   #132
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
rules is rules
Exactly, and by the rules The race ended on lap 56 so the results are based on lap 54
Old 7 Apr 2003, 19:07 (Ref:561976)   #133
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
count back rule has been there for years. Nothing new. I think the 2laps may be new.
Old 7 Apr 2003, 19:47 (Ref:562046)   #134
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Hungary 89
To be honest I don't feel comfortable thinking that a driver who is clearly leading the race when a race is stopped should be awarded anything other than first place but I can see reasons why that should be.

Maybe the answer is to start using the intermediates as well as the start finish line for classification in these unusual circumstances
Agreed, it's unfair; but they have to draw the line - including so that they can draw a full set of results for the archives - somewhere. Imagine "Laps Complete, 54, sector2"

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr v
But what rule? there are 2 (that have been posted by others) that contradict one another.
This what you're on about?:
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
164 is about accidently throwing the chequered early not about reds IIRC. So it is 154 that counts.

Check out O'Scucmacher's post in this thread http://tentenths.com/forum/sho...&&postid=560407
I think that there's one thing that we can agree on from this - no matter where the red flag fell - there's ambuguity in the rules; and it need clearing up!
Old 7 Apr 2003, 20:01 (Ref:562068)   #135
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Tristan
The rules DO make sense, but I'm not sure how "fair" they are (if that makes any sense).
Yes, to me your statement does makes sense.

I think it is impossible to have a set of rules that covers every possible scenario in a way that is considered to be fair by the majority of the public and the majority of the officials and the majority of the teams/drivers.

So ultimately you could choose between:
(1) - a rigid set of rules, which may be unfair in some circumstances.
(2) - a championship which is decided by votes by some kind of jury.
(3) - some sort of compromise between option (1) and option (2)

Personally, I think that option (1) gives us the biggest chance to have a championship which is decided on track.
Old 7 Apr 2003, 20:59 (Ref:562144)   #136
Hungary 89
Racer

England
Midlands (England)
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Asp
[B]Agreed, it's unfair; but they have to draw the line - including so that they can draw a full set of results for the archives - somewhere. Imagine "Laps Complete, 54, sector2"

Good point well made

I was just looking for someway around this problem where by someone can take the lead fair and square yet still not be declared the winner

But I can't disagree you do have to draw the line somewhere
Old 8 Apr 2003, 06:45 (Ref:562416)   #137
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
During lap 52, a member of the Jordan crew sugested to a dutch pit reporter that Fisichella might be able to complete the race without masking a further pit stop.
Old 9 Apr 2003, 17:10 (Ref:564164)   #138
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Closed thread. So that we can find the current discussion thread!Now that we, er, know that the FIA, er, may, er, change the result!

The current thread of discussion can be found here

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=36213