Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 15 Feb 2011, 03:45 (Ref:2831379)   #1501
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola T70 View Post
Let's not get over excited about California, I do not think Merc and BMW sell more cars in the USA never mind CA than at home in Germany.
So you're calling me a liar are you? Its true I wouldn't have said it if it wasn't, I was surprised to hear that myself. In the 2009 model year both Benz and BMW sold more cars in the United States than at home, the bulk of those to California residents which still was more than home sales.

This is why BMW has plant in South Carolina and Benz has one in Georgia and they are thinking about expanding that.

This is fact not hearsay or fable.
Old 15 Feb 2011, 03:47 (Ref:2831380)   #1502
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Quote:
Mercedes Benz sold 265,000 cars in Germany and 216,400 in USA in 2010.
http://www.daimler.com/dccom/0-5-717...0-0-0-0-0.html
I was talking about 2008 and 2009 not the current model year (2010) its was on Autoblog, it was mentioned by Autoline Detroit.
Old 15 Feb 2011, 03:47 (Ref:2831381)   #1503
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxracefan View Post
Veering slightly off topic.
They always veer off topic when there arguments don't stand up on their own merit...
Old 15 Feb 2011, 03:55 (Ref:2831383)   #1504
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Back on Topic -

The Long Beach GP is very important to all those involved because of car sales, period end of story. You can make up any trivial BS you want about its a street track or its a 100 min race, the fact remains the ALMS is under contract to come out here and we're glad to have them (twice over if you count Laguna Seca).

Nobody went to two or three times Grand Am was out here. I think it was three times, once with CART and twice by themselves at California Speedway.

I suppose a full season ALMS announcement is forthcoming from Highcroft, that would put the full season prototype number at five. The Field's have not confirmed for a whole season, are just on the Sebring entry list. This is 2009 repeated, just no Drayson to break it up this time. Is this the type of P1 racing you want???

They did focus quite a bit on the GT2 class in both the Laguna Seca and Mid Ohio streams. So I guess I can stand it for another season.
Old 15 Feb 2011, 06:27 (Ref:2831399)   #1505
Lola T70
Racer

Lola T70 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4monie View Post
So you're calling me a liar are you? Its true I wouldn't have said it if it wasn't, I was surprised to hear that myself. In the 2009 model year both Benz and BMW sold more cars in the United States than at home, the bulk of those to California residents which still was more than home sales.

This is why BMW has plant in South Carolina and Benz has one in Georgia and they are thinking about expanding that.

This is fact not hearsay or fable.

Why do you ask if I am calling you a liar when I was just pointing out that what you stated was wrong and that is fact, not hearsay or fable".

California has never sold more BMW's and Merc's than are sold in Germany, fact.

I may not know much as much as you about motor racing but I do know a little about the car industry. Saying that I agree totally with your post it is slightly irrelevant to the auto industry about race length, steer track or not etc as opposed to "we racing at Long Beach". They dictate this one, racing fans get Road America.
Old 15 Feb 2011, 08:37 (Ref:2831433)   #1506
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Ford did not take a TARP bailout from the US government and so not under state admin, that was GM which has paid back the loan in 2010. Ford have very good liquidity right now.

I agree a proto will not come anytime soon but hope they come with something...
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMUCarGuy View Post
Ford are not in any way under "state administration". They took no bailout money and have been largely profitable for about 2 years now.
Yes they did, although under "different" terms:
Quote:
Ford's Bailout Proposal

Ford requested a $9 billion line-of-credit from the government, and a $5 billion loan from the Energy Department. Ford pledged to accelerate development of both hybrid and battery-powered vehicles, retool plants to increase production of smaller cars, close dealerships, and sell Volvo. Ford is in better shape than GM or Chrysler because it had already mortgaged its assets in 2006 to raise $24.5 billion. Although Ford didn't need, and didn't receive any funds, it also didn't want its competition to get the upper hand thanks to the government bailout.
http://useconomy.about.com/od/critic...to_bailout.htm
Ford was smart and lucky, as they could, and did sell off more or less profitable marques which could help them finance the new production layouts.
Ford is healthy right now, but they know that there is still problems ahead, and so does the government. Therefor i do not see the government being keen on letting Ford use larger amounts on Le Mans LMP racing, when that money could be used to produce small cars and hybrid/electric vehicles.
But it's an conclusion on my own, and basically just me making sensible guesses.
Old 15 Feb 2011, 08:39 (Ref:2831436)   #1507
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Quote:

Why do you ask if I am calling you a liar when I was just pointing out that what you stated was wrong and that is fact, not hearsay or fable".

California has never sold more BMW's and Merc's than are sold in Germany, fact.

I may not know much as much as you about motor racing but I do know a little about the car industry. Saying that I agree totally with your post it is slightly irrelevant to the auto industry about race length, steer track or not etc as opposed to "we racing at Long Beach". They dictate this one, racing fans get Road America.
Fine you won, you want a shake and a cookie? There is no such chant called "Beat New York", its "Beat LA"

Have a nice day from SUNNY LOS ANGELES

Signed

California Native, been to all 50 States (most them suck, people missing teeth, etc), Canada, Mexico and Europe Passport Stamped...
Old 15 Feb 2011, 08:43 (Ref:2831437)   #1508
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post

Ford was smart and lucky, as they could, and did sell off more or less profitable marques which could help them finance the new production layouts.
Ford is healthy right now, but they know that there is still problems ahead, and so does the government. Therefor i do not see the government being keen on letting Ford use larger amounts on Le Mans LMP racing, when that money could be used to produce small cars and hybrid/electric vehicles.
But it's an conclusion on my own, and basically just me making sensible guesses.
Ford was not lucky, CEO did the same "magic" with Boeing years before.

The Government doesn't give too shhh (it really doesn't care about Black People but that's another thread) about anything and is waiting for Wall St to magically come up with some new get rich quick scheme to jump start hiring.
Old 15 Feb 2011, 17:01 (Ref:2831679)   #1509
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post

While Ford has taken loans from the US Government under energy department programs, they are small relative to the TARP-type "bailouts," do not grant the government any equity position (as did the stakes taken by the government and union in the GM bankruptcy).

"The government" did not and has not become a decision-maker in regard to Ford operations as a result of the loans. They have no ability to "let" (or not) Ford do something, no seat on the board, no opinion, and no interest. They are a lender, no different than a bank loan, other than the fact that the energy department loans are for specific areas of technology development.
Old 15 Feb 2011, 17:14 (Ref:2831688)   #1510
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Flyin Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Ford was lucky in the sense that golden child William Clay Ford Jr. realized the top job was above him and went and fired himself to go get Mulally.

Quote:
The Government doesn't give too shhh (it really doesn't care about Black People but that's another thread) about anything and is waiting for Wall St to magically come up with some new get rich quick scheme to jump start hiring.
Cut the race crap. For some reason you've seen fit to routinely notify us under no prompting from any of us on a faceless message board. We don't care if you're white, black, Mexican, or Arab; people's opinions are judged based on the merit of what they post. We're here to discuss auto racing.
Old 15 Feb 2011, 19:58 (Ref:2831779)   #1511
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Ford was lucky in the fact that they sold the brands when they did. If they had waited 6 months later, they wouldn't have found buyers (at least not quickly), had no liquidity, and would have been in the same boat with GM & Cerberus.
Old 15 Feb 2011, 21:04 (Ref:2831818)   #1512
porman
Veteran

porman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

[QUOTE=dj4monie;2831437

The Government doesn't give too shhh (it really doesn't care about Black People but that's another thread) about anything and is waiting for Wall St to magically come up with some new get rich quick scheme to jump start hiring.[/QUOTE]

Do you ever stop to think about why you were banned before? You obviously have a huge chip on your shoulder.

Please take it elsewhere!!!!
Old 16 Feb 2011, 04:00 (Ref:2831945)   #1513
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Has there been any announcements on Highcrofts plans for ALMS (if any), I saw that they are on the LM entry list but as for ALMS?
Old 16 Feb 2011, 05:15 (Ref:2831956)   #1514
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sebring for sure, the rest up in the air. Bear said 50/50 and if it were to get better, that will occur imminently. Sadly, it seems money does not grow on agave plants like it once did, and is distinctly trickier to procure.
Old 17 Feb 2011, 15:27 (Ref:2832761)   #1515
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Good article on SPEED from John on CORE Autosport.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...e-autosport/P1

Seems like the team is adopting the Level 5 blueprint and looks odds-on to graduate up to LMP2 for 2012. Le Mans seemingly the ultimate aim. Best of luck to them.
Old 17 Feb 2011, 19:13 (Ref:2832893)   #1516
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hopefully they move up in 2012 as both Core and Jeanette were eyeing P2 this year.
Old 17 Feb 2011, 19:50 (Ref:2832912)   #1517
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Hopefully they move up in 2012 as both Core and Jeanette were eyeing P2 this year.
I agree. It is too bad though that Gunnar couldn't get their own program together for this season. The article made it sound like they weren't planning on having pay drivers around, but now that they do they are pretty well suited in the money department. One thing I didn't see though was any mention of a sponsor for either car other than Mr Bennett's own company.
Old 17 Feb 2011, 22:43 (Ref:2833028)   #1518
Danny_GT2
Veteran

Ireland
Lucan, Ireland
Danny_GT2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Meant to ask this ages ago but do I need to pay & subscribe to ESPN3.com to get the race coverage?? Hope not.
Old 17 Feb 2011, 22:49 (Ref:2833037)   #1519
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_GT2 View Post
Meant to ask this ages ago but do I need to pay & subscribe to ESPN3.com to get the race coverage?? Hope not.
Supposedly you will be able to watch it on the official ALMS website, without needing an ESPN3 affiliated ISP.
Old 17 Feb 2011, 22:53 (Ref:2833040)   #1520
Danny_GT2
Veteran

Ireland
Lucan, Ireland
Danny_GT2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanza View Post
Supposedly you will be able to watch it on the official ALMS website, without needing an ESPN3 affiliated ISP.
Oh I see! alms.com will show it on the site with ESPN commentary! That's cool, saves me from having to view it on justin.tv & have to deal with those wretched interactive ads!
Old 17 Feb 2011, 23:01 (Ref:2833046)   #1521
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanza View Post
Where's this supposedly coming from?

The deal is signed.
Old 18 Feb 2011, 02:10 (Ref:2833110)   #1522
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_GT2 View Post
Oh I see! alms.com will show it on the site with ESPN commentary! That's cool, saves me from having to view it on justin.tv & have to deal with those wretched interactive ads!
No,not with ESPN commentary, they are using their own... as yet to be announced. (Go Hindy)
Old 18 Feb 2011, 02:12 (Ref:2833111)   #1523
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Where's this supposedly coming from?

The deal is signed.
The supposedly is that many things upon introduction on the ALMS site have not worked properly at first....
Old 18 Feb 2011, 04:11 (Ref:2833130)   #1524
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
The supposedly is that many things upon introduction on the ALMS site have not worked properly at first....
Like? All streaming worked for me. Laguna Seca and Mid Ohio

Are you using IE9 (Resource Hog), Firefox (not as light as Chrome) or Google (Sky Net) Chrome?

All support Flash 10.2 which if you have a recent vintage Nvidia or AMD/ATI graphics this will be no problem of things "working properly".

I see questions like this a basic questioning of the move to the internet by the ALMS and lack of general knowledge about the internet beyond Cats riding Roombas, saying ridiculous stuff on ALMS Facebook (I can only imagine the e-mails that hit Scott's desk) site or cleaning out your email box of all that junk mail that a decade ago you didn't believe what happen to snail mail would happen to internet mail.

It will just work, Doubting Thomas' can go to the back of the bus and it won't cost you anything, that is if you like sitting in front of you're 19" PC display or 15.6 Laptop display, to get it off there you'll have to spend at least $6....
Old 18 Feb 2011, 04:16 (Ref:2833132)   #1525
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Like?
Like most of the 'improvements' ever devised for online timing and scoring over the years.