Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Closed Thread

Old 17 Jun 2013, 20:12 (Ref:3263972)   #1626
Dodge_Swinger
Racer

United States
International Space Station
Dodge_Swinger should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDodge_Swinger should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Are 2014 regs REALLY 90 days from now? I thought there was supposed to be an announcement during Le Mans. Just more wishful thinking? I can't believe that even USCR would wait to mid-September 2013 to release regulations for 2014. Unless, of course if USCR wants to pretty much guarantee an all DP grid.
Old 17 Jun 2013, 20:21 (Ref:3263980)   #1627
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Pretty sure USCR management is barely managing to keep the current seasons running, and the added burden of managing all the headstrong, selfish, highly competitive teams that will make up the new series is way more than they can manage.

I doubt the new management really wants to take Way Too Long to release the regs, because even they know it will negatively impact the next season. I'm just not sure they can do anything about it---way over their heads and trying to learn to swim while drowning.
Old 17 Jun 2013, 23:38 (Ref:3264059)   #1628
Dodge_Swinger
Racer

United States
International Space Station
Dodge_Swinger should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDodge_Swinger should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wonder if USCR management even considered bringing in someone from outside NASCAR/GRAND-AM/ALMS?

I'm not certain he's the guy for the job, or if he's qualified, or if he was even interested at age 71, but someone like Derek Bell would be a good "consultant". He has the sports car resume. Basically, they could use someone with credibility among drivers, owners and fans, but is relatively independent. USCR needs someone whose ego is not tied up in yesterday's "vision" (GA and ALMS). If they really want to incorporate the best of both series, then they need someone who can take an unbiased look at the past and present and pick the best to use in the future. I think it's pretty difficult to look at your "baby" and give an honest critique of what worked and what didn't.

There's way too much political intrigue for what is now a regional racing series.
Old 18 Jun 2013, 05:18 (Ref:3264136)   #1629
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I would heartily second Dodge-Swinger's suggestion, except that the ALMS side of things would demand some New-Age marketing consultant who would charge a million dollars to hand them a list of marketing phrases, and the GA side probably doesn't know there are series outside of NASCAR.

They would need to9 hire a consultant to hire a consulting firm to help them choose to hire someone to pick a consultant.

Before you think that is overstatement, look at two things: how long it is taking them to write rules, and the handful of crap handed them by the "marketing expert" who provided the logo.

I dearly wish the two sides could find an independent and experienced ex-driver or series organizer who could come in, analyze the situation, and say, "Do this whether you want to or not, or just fold it all up now because you are going to fail," but I really can't see any of them both swallowing their pride and giving up any degree of control.

Ahhhh, don't sweat it,. 2014 regs will be fully worked out in time for the first race of the season ... the 2015 season, of course.
Old 18 Jun 2013, 14:39 (Ref:3264370)   #1630
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
I dearly wish the two sides could find an independent and experienced ex-driver or series organizer who could come in, analyze the situation, and say, "Do this whether you want to or not, or just fold it all up now because you are going to fail," but I really can't see any of them both swallowing their pride and giving up any degree of control.
I really don't follow the details that closely, I mostly just read this thread for entertainment purposes!

However, to the point about outside consultants. I think in a highly politicized environment, that even the selection of the consultant can be paralyzing. Because to some degree they know that "who you pick" will define "what they recommend". I think if they were able to listen to and trust an honest and impartial outside consultant, they would like likely figured this out on their own already.

Richard
Old 18 Jun 2013, 17:23 (Ref:3264427)   #1631
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Yes, if you wanted someone in a more formal role, I would recommend either Derek Bell or Mario Andretti. For a more peripheral role, maybe you could get someone like Dan Gurney to provide guidance.

(Bell is as knowledgeable about Sportscar racing as anyone out there, I should think. However, Gurney and Andretti have raced every type of vehicle at the top echelons of motorsport in their era, which would give them a more diversified perspective. It just depends whether you think you want/need that narrower focus, or a broader sense of the racing landscape.)

We'll have to see how this week, as well as next, plays out. If nothing substantive surfaces in that window though, my expectations definitely will NOT go in any sort of positive direction.

EDIT: As to track selection and field congestion, yes, some amount of what happens is certainly in driver hands, but I wouldn't exactly call it an intelligent decision to put 50 cars at a time on a track of less than two miles in length. You have to be somewhat realistic about physical constraints, and what drivers, who are inherently very competitive people (at least on the track), are going to do. A system that requires a "perfect" world in order to function properly simply will not work in practice, no matter how stiff you make the penalties for doing something "wrong".

As I stated earlier, any of the major road courses that are three miles or more to the lap ought to work pretty well for the full USCR field. Realistically, I think the list of possibilities there will include the following:
1. Road America- 4.048 miles
2. Sebring Int'l- 3.700 miles
3. Daytona Int'l- 3.560 miles
4. Austin- 3.427 miles
5. Watkins Glen- 3.400 miles
6. VIRginia- 3.270 miles

(Again, both longer configurations of Miller were tried, and dumped, by both the ALMS and GA. I don't really see USCR going back there.)

Last edited by Purist; 18 Jun 2013 at 17:43.
Old 18 Jun 2013, 17:53 (Ref:3264440)   #1632
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wait a minute, so that means Road Atlanta would not get 45 or more cars, despite being a major race called Petit Le Mans? Man, I feel that the race will have split grids then.
Old 18 Jun 2013, 18:03 (Ref:3264443)   #1633
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post
Wait a minute, so that means Road Atlanta would not get 45 or more cars, despite being a major race called Petit Le Mans? Man, I feel that the race will have split grids then.
It could, it's been done before. Just gets busy.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 18 Jun 2013, 18:05 (Ref:3264444)   #1634
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I didn't say that, but I don't think tracks under three miles are necessarily automatic dead-ringers for having the full grid running together.

Yes, Road Atlanta has PLM; however, starting more cars than they were planning to in 2011 (53) probably isn't the best idea. I do know that the 1983 500km race there had 59 starters, but I wouldn't recommend doing that today.
Old 18 Jun 2013, 19:03 (Ref:3264465)   #1635
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
They aren't going to split grids in the #2 endurance race in the US behind Sebring.
Old 18 Jun 2013, 19:33 (Ref:3264495)   #1636
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMan View Post
They aren't going to split grids in the #2 endurance race in the US behind Sebring.
No, no one is talking about splitting the grid at Daytona.

In all seriousness, grid size is a big issue going forward. For reference, the full-season car counts this year are about 34 ALMS + 26 GA. No, I don't expect all 60 of those cars to be back next year but having between 45 and 55 full-season entries in 2014 is quite likely.

Based upon track length, the place where it will be the biggest problem will be at PLM, because you can’t split the field.

Long term, the best solution may well be quality over quantity — somewhat smaller grids of higher quality cars.

Daytona will be the series’ second biggest race (maybe even biggest in car count), as because of when it happens, it (like Sebring) can attract WEC/ELMS cars as well as drivers from just about any series. The creation of the WEC has effectively reduced the importance and prestige of PLM.
Old 18 Jun 2013, 20:17 (Ref:3264521)   #1637
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Daytona is probably going to be easy. Full season entrants get priority, then you can apply from there and be accepted or not.
Old 18 Jun 2013, 21:51 (Ref:3264592)   #1638
jeast
Racer

jeast User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Like NASCAR will let Sebring be bigger than Daytona... It will be forced to be #2.
Old 18 Jun 2013, 22:12 (Ref:3264596)   #1639
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeast View Post
Like NASCAR will let Sebring be bigger than Daytona... It will be forced to be #2.
This is business, with USCR in the business of trying to grow the sport. And that means increasing the attendance and prestige of both the 12 Hours of Sebring and Rolex 24 at Daytona.
Old 18 Jun 2013, 22:32 (Ref:3264601)   #1640
BullMan
Veteran

I guess everyone missed the fact that I was talking about PLM, but whatever.
Old 18 Jun 2013, 22:53 (Ref:3264609)   #1641
TheMightyM
Veteran

Quote:
I guess everyone missed the fact that I was talking about PLM, but whatever.
No, I didn’t miss that you were talking about PLM and actually addressed PLM in my reply. Essentially, PLM will be the series’ third most important USCR race, after Sebring and Daytona. And there will, unfortunately, be a big gap between the importance of Sebring and Daytona as compared to PLM going forward just because of the realities of the schedule — Daytona and Sebring happen well before the WEC and ELMS start up, and can thus easily attract cars and drivers from those series. Unless ELMS blows up again, that just isn’t the case at PLM going forward.

Given Road Atlanta's shorter track length, having somewhat fewer cars at PLM is probably a good thing.
Old 19 Jun 2013, 00:52 (Ref:3264628)   #1642
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
No, I didn’t miss that you were talking about PLM and actually addressed PLM in my reply. Essentially, PLM will be the series’ third most important USCR race, after Sebring and Daytona. And there will, unfortunately, be a big gap between the importance of Sebring and Daytona as compared to PLM going forward just because of the realities of the schedule — Daytona and Sebring happen well before the WEC and ELMS start up, and can thus easily attract cars and drivers from those series. Unless ELMS blows up again, that just isn’t the case at PLM going forward.

Given Road Atlanta's shorter track length, having somewhat fewer cars at PLM is probably a good thing.
Honestly, I could see USCR pushing PLM to #5 behind Watkins Glen and Laguna Seca...maybe even Road America actually. USCR needs to attract more fans and having two races (Sebring and Daytona) is plently for the south. 1000 miles at Road Atlanta may very well end in favour of the 6 hours of Watkins Glen/Laguna Seca/Road America.
Old 19 Jun 2013, 01:02 (Ref:3264632)   #1643
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
Honestly, I could see USCR pushing PLM to #5 behind Watkins Glen and Laguna Seca...maybe even Road America actually. USCR needs to attract more fans and having two races (Sebring and Daytona) is plently for the south. 1000 miles at Road Atlanta may very well end in favour of the 6 hours of Watkins Glen/Laguna Seca/Road America.
I can see "The North American Endurance Championship" being 5 rounds. Daytona, Sebring, Wakins Glen, Indy, Road Atlanta. The rest being 2:45 or shorter for the (yet to be determined) TV deal. Those events will have the most cars because the teams can't put together a full season budget. With all the different support series you will still have non-stop cars on track at the other events.
Old 19 Jun 2013, 01:08 (Ref:3264634)   #1644
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I am really hoping that USCR finds a way to go back to Portland International Raceway, it sounds like a good track and would help capture the Northwest market.
Old 19 Jun 2013, 01:40 (Ref:3264645)   #1645
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
As they now own Road Atlanta, I don't see any of that happening. Sebring and Daytona are plenty for Florida but a loooong way from the South.
Old 19 Jun 2013, 03:52 (Ref:3264669)   #1646
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Then, how about a knock-out format at the qualifying round at PLM. Well, TheMightyM said about quality over quantity right?

Speaking of Road Atlanta, I wonder if IMSA plans to expand USCR across borders like Canada, Mexico, Brazil, etc.
Old 19 Jun 2013, 04:09 (Ref:3264671)   #1647
BullMan
Veteran

Quote:
Then, how about a knock-out format at the qualifying round at PLM. Well, TheMightyM said about quality over quantity right?

Speaking of Road Atlanta, I wonder if IMSA plans to expand USCR across borders like Canada, Mexico, Brazil, etc.
Uh, Grand-Am (until this year, in favor of the awesome Kansas ROVAL!) goes to Montreal and ALMS goes to Mosport every year. With Mosport's infrasturcture imporvements and a NASCAR truck race there, it would not be much of a stretch to see the new series there.
Old 19 Jun 2013, 04:21 (Ref:3264676)   #1648
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
As they now own Road Atlanta, I don't see any of that happening. Sebring and Daytona are plenty for Florida but a loooong way from the South.
True, I forgot about the new ownership. But wouldn't you agree that at some point in the near future (in the next 10 years), the distance/time of RA will decrease.
Old 19 Jun 2013, 04:24 (Ref:3264677)   #1649
BullMan
Veteran

Quote:
True, I forgot about the new ownership. But wouldn't you agree that at some point in the near future (in the next 10 years), the distance/time of RA will decrease.
Not if they want to **** off the fans that attend the race. Of both series, it's the second most attended race behind Sebring. Of course, with the end of P1 cars at Road Atlanta and lowered international significance, the crowds will most likely be much lower in the future. I'd be willing to bet the Mitty becomes Road Atlanta's most attended event in a few years.
Old 19 Jun 2013, 08:59 (Ref:3264728)   #1650
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I see all this talk of "PLM", but how are they going to keep that name when only one class will be related to LeMans? In all seriousness, lmp2 will be cut back and there probably won't be many if any teams wanting to run in that class anymore. So what would be this Petit LeMans? IMO it won't be.
Closed Thread