Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Mar 2016, 11:47 (Ref:3622108)   #1626
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Fundamentally, nothing's changed. It's the same qualy, just singular elimination as oppose to group elimination. It puts the drivers under more pressure, which is fantastic!

I don't see the concept of the slowest driver being eliminated every 90 seconds as particularly hard to grasp. People make it sound like rocket science!

Perhaps we're just programmed to complain at the thought of anything new.

I like this concept, and definitely willing to give it a whirl. If it flops, bin it!

Selby
Old 11 Mar 2016, 11:51 (Ref:3622109)   #1627
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
I think this is the plan, create as much controversy and outrage as possible, and hopefully the motor racing press buys into it!

F1 finally goes WWF.

Perhaps they should get a bear pit and get the drivers to sort out their grievances amongst themselves after qualifying.
I've been saying this for ages! WWE and F1 are 'sports entertainment'. I think the quicker people get on board (no pun intended) with that, the more comfortable we'll be about many things, right or wrong, in F1.

Do I like it? No. But I love professional wrestling lol I'd rather the sport remain a sport, but while someone as whacky as Bernie is in charge, this is the way it is.

IF it does end up being the stewards re-arranging the grid, then yeh, this is too sports entertainment for my liking. The current concept however, i'm totally fine with.

Let's let it play out, and see where it goes.

To be honest, the neverending engine/gearbox penalties irritate me more. As a viewer, they just feel completely irrelevant, and made qualifying seem a little pointless.

Selby
Old 11 Mar 2016, 15:34 (Ref:3622156)   #1628
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
agreed. while the change may have been unnecessary and contains some manufactured drama, it wont be difficult to follow whats happening and if it throws up some more mistakes/driver errors then that is really a good thing.

and if the battle is only going to be between Nico and Ham this year then we are basically going to get a one lap shoot out/winner takes pole between the two of them at the end of each Q3...thats exciting imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
To be honest, the neverending engine/gearbox penalties irritate me more. As a viewer, they just feel completely irrelevant, and made qualifying seem a little pointless.
indeed. that was an issue last year.

what are the new grid penalty/engine rules?

i know the allotment is up to 5 units this year but will the grid penalties work the same way as last year if a 6th engine/part is used?
Old 11 Mar 2016, 15:42 (Ref:3622159)   #1629
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpolinski View Post
I'm not sure if someone has already suggested this, but I can see that the qualifying change will indeed increase the spectacle and mix up the grid, just not in the way they were expecting. I can imagine the spectacle as post-qualifying steward's meeting taking longer than qualifying itself as the line of drivers argue that they were eliminated because driver X held them up on a fast lap. And the grid will be mixed up as the penalties are applied and the starting grid shows little resemblance to the order in which they finish qualifying.
that could be an issue particularly from drivers who have been knocked out and run a cool down lap as they have to make their way all around the track to get back into the pits.

i wonder if it doesn't make more sense to move the time line/start finish line a couple of corners back to before the pit entrance (just for quali) so drivers who are knocked out can more quickly get off the track.
Old 11 Mar 2016, 18:06 (Ref:3622192)   #1630
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I think this is the plan, create as much controversy and outrage as possible, and hopefully the motor racing press buys into it!

F1 finally goes WWF.

Perhaps they should get a bear pit and get the drivers to sort out their grievances amongst themselves after qualifying.
The WWF reference might work if the proposed system didn't put the driver who was fastest in the session on pole. It does.

Please bear in mind I wouldn't have this, or the previous system, and just let it be the fastest over practice sessions. However I can see how the people running the show get confused the feedback from the fans is so exaggerated.
Old 11 Mar 2016, 19:51 (Ref:3622224)   #1631
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post

i wonder if it doesn't make more sense to move the time line/start finish line a couple of corners back to before the pit entrance (just for quali) so drivers who are knocked out can more quickly get off the track.
Old 11 Mar 2016, 20:24 (Ref:3622233)   #1632
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That's a good idea.
Old 11 Mar 2016, 21:27 (Ref:3622252)   #1633
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't know about current F1 motors but a lot of race engines don't like going from working temperature to cold rapidly and this might be an issue but I suspect F1 teams have a means to cool their cars at the desired rate in the garage.
Old 11 Mar 2016, 22:45 (Ref:3622262)   #1634
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
The WWF reference might work if the proposed system didn't put the driver who was fastest in the session on pole. It does.

Please bear in mind I wouldn't have this, or the previous system, and just let it be the fastest over practice sessions. However I can see how the people running the show get confused the feedback from the fans is so exaggerated.
This is my concern with the new system as expressed by Chillibowl above:

that could be an issue particularly from drivers who have been knocked out and run a cool down lap as they have to make their way all around the track to get back into the pits.

Chillibowl

The slowing drivers will create a super dangerous situation and a random moving roadblock.

Hope we don't get another Gilles Villeneuve type accident from this problem.

In a lot of ways the theory is no different from the 3 quali sessions we have at present, which, I might suggest is just the new system designed to prevent a car on a full out qualifying lap tripping over a car on an in lap.
Old 12 Mar 2016, 14:10 (Ref:3622331)   #1635
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:

The slowing drivers will create a super dangerous situation and a random moving roadblock.

Hope we don't get another Gilles Villeneuve type accident from this problem.
They are literally playing with people's lives here.
Old 12 Mar 2016, 17:36 (Ref:3622359)   #1636
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
while im worried about the movable chicane issue in qualifying i have to admit my excitement at seeing how drivers manage it with the hopes that the better drivers will be rewarded for working out the spacing in their heads and can pass while on a fast lap overrides my desire to see a safety first approach.

but if it does present considerable safety issues, i would prefer to see sensible measures taken to correct it.

im also a fan of the MotoGP format where the bottom half (determined by times set in practice) run in Q1 with the top two riders being allowed to move onto Q2.

modified for f1, they could split the field into 2 groups, with half running in Q1 and the other half running in Q2, with the top 5 from each session advancing to Q3.

of course we will know more after we see this in action but there are really a lot of ways to skin this apple.
Old 12 Mar 2016, 18:49 (Ref:3622365)   #1637
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I like idea of moving the timing line. Why not, although it'll confuse people and hence be seen as another example of F1 going down the pan.

However is it a significant issue? Putting aside the melodrama from a few posts ago, the qualifying sessions have always had this situation, except often you can have more than one driver being slow. The slow driver has to keep out of the way. Same same.
Old 12 Mar 2016, 19:07 (Ref:3622367)   #1638
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
true true. at most it may be a potential issue but certainly not a significant one. the drivers will figure it out as they always do.
Old 12 Mar 2016, 19:51 (Ref:3622374)   #1639
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
The more I think about it, the more I think it should be single-lap qualifying, running in reverse championship order. If you screw up, you screw up. Eliminates any problems of drivers being held up, and gives the smaller teams better TV exposure.
Old 12 Mar 2016, 20:11 (Ref:3622378)   #1640
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
The more I think about it, the more I think it should be single-lap qualifying, running in reverse championship order. If you screw up, you screw up. Eliminates any problems of drivers being held up, and gives the smaller teams better TV exposure.
Except when they tried it, it proved to be very unpopular with drivers, teams, promotors, spectators and TV viewers. That is why it was dropped, and after some tweaking, the non-musical chairs system was introduced. This has proved to be fairly popular with all concerned, and one really has to wonder why you need to meddle with something that is working.

In answer to the slowing down on an in lap or out lap, I do believe that all cars have to maintain a minimum speed and minimum lap time; this was introduced for the very reason that cars on a hot lap were being baulked by cars on an in or out lap. Drivers tend, on the whole, to observe this nicety as they won't want it to happen to them. Having said that, I am sure that there will be occasions that cars will probably get in the way accidently, as has been the case since qualifying started so many years ago.
Old 12 Mar 2016, 20:24 (Ref:3622380)   #1641
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How many of the current circuits have a lap time of over 1m30s?

There may be occasions in qualifying where a driver crosses the line just as the time for the current slowest driver to be eliminated passes. If the lap time is over the 90 seconds, they don't have time to improve their time before the next elimination and risk having their time beaten by those crossing the timing line after them and being the next one out.
Old 12 Mar 2016, 20:33 (Ref:3622383)   #1642
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
From following this discussion the reason for the change to qualifying was instigated at the stratagy group by one BCE. You may have notice he has been bad mouthing F1 again saying the format must change. He wanted to have some form of a qualifying race on the Saturday. However the teams said ask the circuits and TV companies (they would have a bigger potential interest in changes than the teams). Bernie did this and the result was a definite NO. C4 for example has there commercial breaks built around qualifying as there will be no adds in the race. As a result result Bernie had to push through some changes to save face. The new qualifying format is the result.

http://plus.autosport.com/premium/fe...494.1448115426

Did he ever hear about if it ain't broke don't fix it.
I suspect the new 2017 rules will end up with a similar result and less overtaking.
Old 12 Mar 2016, 20:48 (Ref:3622384)   #1643
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaholic View Post

There may be occasions in qualifying where a driver crosses the line just as the time for the current slowest driver to be eliminated passes. If the lap time is over the 90 seconds, they don't have time to improve their time before the next elimination and risk having their time beaten by those crossing the timing line after them and being the next one out.
Should have driven quicker, earlier

It's an issue if the track is improving, especially if it is a dying track. However track position and timing had always been an issue. A slightly different thing to think about.

The main issue is not likely to be poor timing, or even that it makes it more likely someone might die, but rather everyone sets their fastest time in the first few minutes and then no one improves in the last few minutes.
Old 12 Mar 2016, 21:17 (Ref:3622389)   #1644
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaholic View Post

Quick bit of Google research suggests Spa, Bahrain, Suzuka, Sepang, Shanghai and Abu Dhabi. It will depend on weather at some tracks
Old 13 Mar 2016, 01:56 (Ref:3622414)   #1645
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Should have driven quicker, earlier

It's an issue if the track is improving, especially if it is a dying track. However track position and timing had always been an issue. A slightly different thing to think about.

The main issue is not likely to be poor timing, or even that it makes it more likely someone might die, but rather everyone sets their fastest time in the first few minutes and then no one improves in the last few minutes.

So if someone sets the pole lap on their first lap, they are guaranteed to be in for the whole hour?
No resets for each stage?

Seems like a big hole!
Old 13 Mar 2016, 02:23 (Ref:3622416)   #1646
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The times reset for each part of Qually

I think what was meant was at the start of each part of qually before the eliminations begin.
Old 13 Mar 2016, 18:30 (Ref:3622524)   #1647
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Yep.
Old 14 Mar 2016, 20:06 (Ref:3622794)   #1648
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
follow up question as i have just read some comments from Lauda. link here.

"It will mean you have to go out immediately with new tyres so you set your time," he said.

"In Q3 this could mean that there are no cars on the track in the last eight minutes," Wolff warned, "because by then you will have only used tyres left.

i guess i was under the impression that the lap times were effectively reset for each lap so after the initial 5 minute (or whatever) warm up period when the knock out phase begins, every 90 seconds the slowest driver based on their last completed lap would be knocked out.

Lauda's quote would suggest otherwise.
Old 14 Mar 2016, 21:33 (Ref:3622817)   #1649
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I share the same interpretation as Niki Lauda; in each qualifying session, you only need to set the fastest time just once, and then you are reliant on whatever tyres you have available. Based on times set during testing, this may well give Mercedes a fairly hefty advantage as they seemed to be able to achieve lap times equal to other cars, but on a harder compound.

I think that we may well see Mercedes, and possibly Ferrari, come out and post their quick laps and then go and disappear in their garages.
Old 14 Mar 2016, 21:56 (Ref:3622824)   #1650
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
So what happens when on the "in lap" an eliminated car breaks down and the yellows come out?