Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 18 Jan 2021, 16:07 (Ref:4029871)   #1676
WestHam92
Rookie

European Union
WestHam92 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
A slippery slope to where?
To not being able to criticise anyone for doing something that we either don't want to do or are unable to do.

Quote:
We have a full grid, drivers and teams that have a desire to compete but have been unable to secure a place, a variety of marques represented and new machinery being built all the time. All in a championship that allows drivers to bring their own funds to secure a drive with no reference to merit - where drivers/teams are content to continue with multiple-year entries with minimal silverware - where exposure for sponsors is marketed as being one of the championships' strongest features.
You are Alan Gow and I claim my five pounds
Old 18 Jan 2021, 16:13 (Ref:4029874)   #1677
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
Osborne just won't be in an MB Motorsporr Focus, there are still 2 other Fords being run under the Motorbase banner 😉
Makes sense The Motorbase side of the garage will struggle then if it's Osborne and Neate / Jackson. Though I've not heard much from Jackson to suggest he will or won't be back?
Old 18 Jan 2021, 16:13 (Ref:4029875)   #1678
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is this a 2021 thread or a 1995 thread?
Old 18 Jan 2021, 16:16 (Ref:4029876)   #1679
WestHam92
Rookie

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Makes sense The Motorbase side of the garage will struggle then if it's Osborne and Neate / Jackson. Though I've not heard much from Jackson to suggest he will or won't be back?
I think I read on here a few weeks ago that Jackson and/or his family are now involved with Mountune. If that's true, I doubt he wouldn't be driving for the team they supply engines for.
Old 18 Jan 2021, 16:17 (Ref:4029877)   #1680
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Double race winner Ollie Jackson? Struggle?
Old 18 Jan 2021, 16:20 (Ref:4029878)   #1681
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Marriott View Post
Is this a 2021 thread or a 1995 thread?
Exactly. This thread - https://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155878 - was created so this thread could stay on the 2021 topic.
Old 18 Jan 2021, 16:20 (Ref:4029879)   #1682
WestHam92
Rookie

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
The car was one of the best on the grid last season...
Old 18 Jan 2021, 16:23 (Ref:4029880)   #1683
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Keeping OT for a while, the suggestion was made that the grid in ST days contained 'not quite top quality' drivers in factory cars, and you asked who they were.
I hadn't initially wanted to name names, as I felt it would be an unfair reflection on those drivers' efforts, however I would suggest the following may be considered in that bracket:

Laurence Bristow, Gary Ayles, Kieth O'dor, Mark Hales, James Kaye, Patrick Watts, Eugene O'Brien, Harry Nuttall, Bobby Verdon-Roe, Tim Sugden, Simon Harrison, Steve Robertson and there are many more.

Why is this relevant for 2021?
We have seen suggestions that certain drivers this season are 'wasted seats' - along with suggestion(s) that the grid should be determined on merit.

Even in the heady days of ST, with multi-million pound entries backed by manufacturers, the selection of drivers was not always based entirely on merit. This is something that was recognised by JP during the establishment of the KX Akademy, which included equipping drivers with social media and reputation management skills, tools and tips through to best practice in attracting and working with sponsors.

Negotiating deals, securing funding and managing your media profile is as much a part of being a touring car driver as having the ability to race fast in 2021. Drivers need to provide the full package to a prospective team, and those on the grid in 2021 are those who have done that the best.

What's a bigger waste of a seat -
A) a fully-funded driver generating commercial interest and enhancing the profile of the series

B) a part-funded driver who picks up a few early season wins then is missing from the grid for the latter half of the season?
Fair Kopp although I don't think Bristow or Kaye drove factory cars
Old 18 Jan 2021, 16:24 (Ref:4029881)   #1684
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
has anyone considered Ollie Jackson to Speedworks ? as he drove for them years ago
Old 18 Jan 2021, 16:29 (Ref:4029882)   #1685
Overboost
Racer

Overboost should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOverboost should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
has anyone considered Ollie Jackson to Speedworks ? as he drove for them years ago
Ollie will be in a Focus still.
Old 18 Jan 2021, 16:32 (Ref:4029883)   #1686
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestHam92 View Post
My problem isn't necessarily with the drivers themselves, but more with the championship being set up in such a way that getting good sponsorship deals is more often than not the only way to get into it. I'm also not particularly keen on drivers who are well backed being in cars far better than their talent warrants or staying in the championship year on year when they're clearly not good enough.
I get your point. This is quite an unpopular opinion because it may be called complaining/disrespectful/deluded etc. But I have the same opinion on that and I'm aware of tough economic situation, of how expensive motorsport is and that everyone who's on the grid does a bloody good (and tough) job to actually be on the grid.
But it still doesn't change the fact that I'd like to see more 'high-level' drivers in the BTCC whereas unfortunately, in current setup we can't dream of seeing supertalented young guns such as Harry King in the BTCC. Or we can't see BMW juniors at WSR and so on and so forth. That's quite a pity because BTCC would be even more exciting. It's nobody's fault, it is how it is and good, let all the drivers have the ride. But as a motorsport fan you may be disappointed with certain drivers, driver-team combinations etc. I feel only BTCC fans try to be very correct in not labelling anyone "not good enough" for a certain seat. And yes, probably most of us would be a lot worse than Andy Neate is but forum is for discussion and it's better when people express their opinions about sports they are passionate about, isn't it?
Old 18 Jan 2021, 16:41 (Ref:4029885)   #1687
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
He's not a number one driver. Paired up with Hill, that's a solid 2 car team. Paired up with Osborne or Neate, "Motorbase" will be near the bottom of the team's tables.

Ollie did surprise me last season and really did seem to have stepped up - but I think had as many good weekends as bad ones.

The Autosport article also says he is expected to stay in a Ford.
Old 18 Jan 2021, 16:41 (Ref:4029886)   #1688
WestHam92
Rookie

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
I get your point. This is quite an unpopular opinion because it may be called complaining/disrespectful/deluded etc. But I have the same opinion on that and I'm aware of tough economic situation, of how expensive motorsport is and that everyone who's on the grid does a bloody good (and tough) job to actually be on the grid.
But it still doesn't change the fact that I'd like to see more 'high-level' drivers in the BTCC whereas unfortunately, in current setup we can't dream of seeing supertalented young guns such as Harry King in the BTCC. Or we can't see BMW juniors at WSR and so on and so forth. That's quite a pity because BTCC would be even more exciting. It's nobody's fault, it is how it is and good, let all the drivers have the ride. But as a motorsport fan you may be disappointed with certain drivers, driver-team combinations etc. I feel only BTCC fans try to be very correct in not labelling anyone "not good enough" for a certain seat. And yes, probably most of us would be a lot worse than Andy Neate is but forum is for discussion and it's better when people express their opinions about sports they are passionate about, isn't it?
Absolutely
Old 18 Jan 2021, 16:44 (Ref:4029888)   #1689
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
meanwile no driver confirmed at WSR, hopefully this doesn't mean no Turkington as h one of the few drivers who could beat Sutton
Old 18 Jan 2021, 17:25 (Ref:4029902)   #1690
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Interesting Team Parker want to come back sometime in the future. They probably see the BTCC as unfinished business
Yeah. No doubt Parker will be back and a million and one other tinpot ex teams. It's gobshiteing to a journalist. Parker were massively out of their depth and were dismal throughout their time, full stop. I expect we'll see SJ top ten consistently in his WSR car.

Last edited by Alfisti; 18 Jan 2021 at 17:33.
Old 18 Jan 2021, 17:28 (Ref:4029903)   #1691
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Oooh, Kopp. Is this a cryptic hint about a Gentleman of Scouseness?
Old 18 Jan 2021, 17:31 (Ref:4029904)   #1692
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Quote:
Ollie I think is very good. He has been in BTCC a good few years but in not the best equipment for most of that career up to joining Dave Bartrum. In his years at Motorbase he has come on in leaps and bounds. I think he is more than good enough at BTCC, I think he will be visiting the podium many many more times.
Old 18 Jan 2021, 18:01 (Ref:4029907)   #1693
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
His family have bought Mountune, so I imagine he will want to drive a car with their engine...?
Old 18 Jan 2021, 18:09 (Ref:4029908)   #1694
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
MB Motorsport info...

https://www.autosport.com/btcc/news/...remain-in-btcc
Old 18 Jan 2021, 18:11 (Ref:4029909)   #1695
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jake and Ollie in Blundell Focii.
SamOs and Neate in Motorbase Focii.
Old 18 Jan 2021, 18:27 (Ref:4029912)   #1696
Daverb
Rookie

Daverb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Motorbase needed Neate for the money last year. Hopefully not the case now?

Plus I can’t see racers like Hollamby and Brundell being involved with him?
Old 18 Jan 2021, 18:35 (Ref:4029914)   #1697
Petoli
Racer

United Kingdom
Petoli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
James Kaye drove a factory Toyota in 1993 as well as a Factory Honda in 1995 and 1996
Old 18 Jan 2021, 19:19 (Ref:4029919)   #1698
Robshillito1990
Racer

Robshillito1990 is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
Jake and Ollie in Blundell Focii.
SamOs and Neate in Motorbase Focii.
Hope they tell Neate to sling his hook this year. One driver that does not deserve a place on the grid.
Old 18 Jan 2021, 19:40 (Ref:4029920)   #1699
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
andy neate will be in whatever car he pays to be in, no team owner will turn town a large wodge of hard cash
Old 18 Jan 2021, 19:41 (Ref:4029921)   #1700
Pdh
Racer

Pdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robshillito1990 View Post
Hope they tell Neate to sling his hook this year. One driver that does not deserve a place on the grid.
Looks like your going to be disappointed then