Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Closed Thread

Old 22 Mar 2009, 09:07 (Ref:2421860)   #1701
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide View Post
Which team is likely to improve enough or hit the ground running well enough to challenge Vauxhall?
That's the worrying thing... you've a well funded works outfit with an extensively developed car and possibly the world's greatest touring car driver as a team leader against a plethora of underfunded privateers. It could be a total walk over... and if it isn't Vauxhall will need to start fielding some probing questions.

In terms of the grid size/quality... let's not loose sight of the fact that we're in the throes of the worst economic conditions in 70 years. Starting the year with 20 cars is a very positive sign... we'll do well to hang on to that many as the season progresses.
Old 22 Mar 2009, 09:28 (Ref:2421880)   #1702
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I get a feeling, and it's not just from the times at the media day, that Turkington could well step up to the fore and finally become a realistic challenger this year.
Old 22 Mar 2009, 12:11 (Ref:2421981)   #1703
MikeH
Racer

Scotland
Perth
MikeH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Loving the black cars - Shedden's colourscheme makes that egg-shaped Civic look 100 times better than when it was orange. The Techspeed Integras are the best looking schemes so far though.
#68 - 2009 SMRC Scottish Legends Championship.
Old 22 Mar 2009, 14:04 (Ref:2422038)   #1704
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm interested to hear if anyone's take on a particular scheme is different having been at media day.
A lot of the schemes look a bit hap-hazard in the photos, but might be better in the flesh.
Regularly, schemes that look good on paper don't appear to good when seen for real, and vice-versa.
Old 23 Mar 2009, 00:41 (Ref:2422359)   #1705
c8nay
Rookie

United Kingdom
Kent, England
c8nay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I'm interested to hear if anyone's take on a particular scheme is different having been at media day....
I think most of what people have been saying about the liveries are true when seeing them for real. VXR is an improvement but still lacks something (I thought the team trucks looked better really) Jordans Pirtek logo needs thicker black highlighting though, Team Dynamics is one of the best if not the best (Pinkneys one should look even better), Both Integras, that were there, looked good. The Astra might of followed the teams previous colour scheme, but the red ketchup stripe doesn't do it any favours. As for the AirwavesBMW.... it really does look like the scrap heap dealer only had a blue donor vehicle to take the doors from. I liked the CVRCZR's they looked great and very bright (might be different after Race 3 though!).
Old 23 Mar 2009, 09:48 (Ref:2422554)   #1706
Minicross424
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ashford Kent
Minicross424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i expect i will get shot for this but i love the green and yellow on the seat leons
Old 23 Mar 2009, 19:45 (Ref:2422987)   #1707
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
just looked at Tempus' website and saw their championship table. It just lists four drivers as having 0 points. Giovanardi, Vaulkhard, Shedden and Plato. Seems a bit of a random collection of drivers really, but is Plato's presence on that list a hint perhaps?
Old 24 Mar 2009, 09:36 (Ref:2423424)   #1708
RIXGE
Racer

RIXGE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In all reality, I think the privateer teams on a tight budget, deserve a pat on the back for actually taking part this year given as mentioned previously, the financial climate.....Then again, advertising plays a strong roll and as we will see, some strong paint jobs this year influence this.
Roll on a great season....
Old 24 Mar 2009, 14:53 (Ref:2423672)   #1709
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Testing today at Brands. No CWCZR present. I don't think they have done any testing apart from the few laps at Rockingham, have they? Not ideal preparation surely.

Nice to see the Airwaves BMW has a slightly revised livery, that suits the blue doors better.
Old 24 Mar 2009, 16:15 (Ref:2423710)   #1710
snowen250
Veteran

snowen250 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Went down to Brands this morning, met all the drivers and got loads of autographs
Testing was going well, Macmillan either had an off or a brakedown as his car came back on a truck at one point.
as already said CZR were absent, as was Hughes. While Bell was there O'Neil wasnt, Bell said he was in spain on business.
Pinkney seemed confident about his pace, saying his best time was 3/10 off of Sheddens.
Chilton remarked that his Focus was slow in the straights, seemed quite downbeat about it, but his times looked ok to me when i was their.
Motorbase seemed very confident with Mr Bartrum on the phone telling somone they were pegging back and not showing their hand, running with ballast on, i believe as much as 30kg on Collards car.
Marytn Bell and John George both seemed confident as did Harry Vaulkhard. Warren Hughes was also their and said that he would love to be in the second Tempus car, but sadly its all about ££. I didnt see the Chevvy actually run apparently it had brake problems.
Both RAC men seemed confident, especially Jelley. As did Shedden.
Jordan also seemed confident, with plently of tail out action round Graham Hill bend from both him and Neal. And as for Gio in the words of one other (integra) driver "F**k me he's quick." Says it all really.
The new guy in the Astra whose name escapes me also seemed good as did Macmillan before his incident/break down.

Big thanks to all the drivers who i spoke to today and who signed my DVD/cars. Cheers!

I would recommend going to testing to anyone really good place to see how a team works and meet the drivers, with Team Dynamics inviting me in to have a closer look!
If anyone wants any info on a particular team or colour scheme ask me i dont have photos but i did get a good look at all the cars bar the Focus.

Simon
Old 24 Mar 2009, 16:37 (Ref:2423728)   #1711
Minicross424
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ashford Kent
Sounds Like a great day.
Is there a way of finding out when btcc team are testing in advance?
Old 24 Mar 2009, 16:49 (Ref:2423736)   #1712
Minicross424
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ashford Kent
where do you find out about test days coming up?
Old 24 Mar 2009, 17:08 (Ref:2423749)   #1713
Jimeth
Racer

Jimeth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Official BTCC homepage.
Old 24 Mar 2009, 17:56 (Ref:2423787)   #1714
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Impressive performances from Collard and Adam today, Motorbase seem to have the car sorted well. Good to Shedden getting into the top 5 this afternoon too, I'd like to see him up there challenging for the title this year. Looks like Arena still have plenty to do to get the Focus on the pace though...
Old 24 Mar 2009, 18:17 (Ref:2423799)   #1715
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minicross424 View Post
where do you find out about test days coming up?
www.tsl-timing.com

However the testing ban has now come into effect so there won't be any more BTCC tests outside of race weekends until July 7th at Snetterton. All the other dates listed are for support race testing.
Old 24 Mar 2009, 18:46 (Ref:2423826)   #1716
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregc View Post
Looks like Arena still have plenty to do to get the Focus on the pace though...
It's the first car I believe has been developed solely with Chilton as the only driver. To me they badly need another driver (like Morrison) for his valuable input too.
Old 24 Mar 2009, 18:50 (Ref:2423827)   #1717
Minicross424
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ashford Kent
thanks for all info guys
Old 24 Mar 2009, 19:02 (Ref:2423839)   #1718
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
It's the first car I believe has been developed solely with Chilton as the only driver. To me they badly need another driver (like Morrison) for his valuable input too.
From the speed traps I assume Arena had an engine problem. Chilton's best over the start line was 116.5mph, over 4mph slower than the next car (John George) and nearly 8mph down on Harry Vaulkhard.
Old 24 Mar 2009, 19:21 (Ref:2423850)   #1719
snowen250
Veteran

snowen250 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When i spoke to Chilton he seemed at a loss over why his pace in a straightline was off, he would have mentioned an engine issue i am sure, in a "straight line pace is down, engine issues" sort of way.
Simon
Old 24 Mar 2009, 21:51 (Ref:2423975)   #1720
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
Good point - and looking back over his history he's only been involved with a new car once before, and that was the Vectra which was (so I understand it...) pretty much developed around Gio so Chiltons input was probably minimal.

Regarding the straightline speed issue - weren't they having engine problems at media day? Sounds like it could be more of the same.
Old 24 Mar 2009, 23:26 (Ref:2424051)   #1721
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
They boasted about doing 14 test days before the season opener so I'm confused if they are still having engine trouble.
Old 25 Mar 2009, 00:08 (Ref:2424072)   #1722
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
Race team in ambitious statement shocker!

More seriously - at Rockingham I overheard a conversation where a driver pretty much stated that all the engine builders are, shall we say, less than 100% reliable with the exception of Neil Browns crew. As with all paddock rumours take it at face value, but it's an interesting insight.
Old 25 Mar 2009, 00:26 (Ref:2424080)   #1723
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On a bit of a sidenote, does anyone know how many 888 Vectras's have been built? Seems odd there are no privateer ones at all when you think back to how many Astras there were.
Old 25 Mar 2009, 06:44 (Ref:2424192)   #1724
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregc View Post
Race team in ambitious statement shocker!

More seriously - at Rockingham I overheard a conversation where a driver pretty much stated that all the engine builders are, shall we say, less than 100% reliable with the exception of Neil Browns crew. As with all paddock rumours take it at face value, but it's an interesting insight.
Langford engines (in the Arena car) haven't exactly been reliable in the past from what I can remember. Didn't they keep detonating when they were in Mark Proctor's Civic?
Old 25 Mar 2009, 07:15 (Ref:2424205)   #1725
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Come on guys, lets not be too critical on Arena/Langford.
A team with the factory backing of SEAT last season were plagued with engine troubles all season long.
Closed Thread

Tags
2009, btcc, entries