Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 10 May 2011, 22:23 (Ref:2878456)   #1701
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
Brutal. Plus they kept the low, ugly, long nose of the current Dallara. Yuck! Oh well, at least they listened to the fans and have done away with multiple body kit manufacturers .
The road course version is the least ugly of the two. They look awfully slow and draggy. I was considering attending the 500 next year - not anymore. I wonder if Lotus (maybe Chevy) will use the lack of propietary bodywork as an excuse to back out of this mess?
What about Honda backing out?

Chevy is a lock because that's penske's deal and all they are doing is badging the covers.

Lotus we know how shifty they are and everyone knows dany bahar's scarface routine only has a scarce chance of surviving. Good luck with that.

Champcar rolled out the panoz dp 01 from start to finish in months and that was a beautiful car. These irl guys couldn't organize a rodeo in texas. How long has this new chassis thing been dragged out? For years. And still all they have is "artist's impressions". They selected dallara last june and here we are a year later.
Old 10 May 2011, 22:27 (Ref:2878459)   #1702
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I expected better from Tony Cotman. Use the Panoz DP-01 for inspiration, Cotman! Come on... the interlocking of wheels should be regulated out of the sport with horsepower and aero, not bespoke pieces of bodywork that make the cars uglier, and likely draggier. Does that bodywork even address the back-breaker gearbox? Pretty failed effort if you ask me. That nose might look a little uglier than it will next year because it is the current Dallara tub that bodywork is hung on, isn't it? And the fact that the ugly air-intake bodywork still exists tells me it must be a result of the tub that stuff is hung on... surely that won't stay the same. Hopefully there will be at least two bodywork options next year, and these aren't near final. Oh well, ugly work in progress thus far.

Chris
Old 10 May 2011, 22:42 (Ref:2878471)   #1703
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I know these are concepts of the new car but it hasn't gone down well. They should open the series up to other constructors, like Swift and Lola. Then teams can have a real choice of chassis and engine packages rather than piddling around with aero kits.
Old 10 May 2011, 23:10 (Ref:2878480)   #1704
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, that's a bit of an anticlimax. When you design a car for a spec series there's no excuse to make it ugly. Especially when you run a series where the look of the car has been detested by (most) fans for quite a long time. It looks anything but purpouseful. Why Dallara? The contract was theirs from the start, especially with the Indiana factory to sweeten the deal. But hey, at least the Delta Wing is long buried and forgotten
Old 10 May 2011, 23:19 (Ref:2878486)   #1705
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson View Post
Why Dallara? The contract was theirs from the start, especially with the Indiana factory to sweeten the deal.
A big mistake. The Iconic committe should have gone for the big play rather than playing it safe. As it is the new car, which is meant to be ready for testing in August, is being built at Parma.
Old 11 May 2011, 00:40 (Ref:2878499)   #1706
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
A big mistake. The Iconic committe should have gone for the big play rather than playing it safe. As it is the new car, which is meant to be ready for testing in August, is being built at Parma.
I suspect there were both local politics with the Indiana factory and previous relations behind the decision. It was (or should have been) obvious to any one that Swift and Lola has the same ability to produce a safe, effective race car on schedule based on their previous track record. If the choice had been between Dallara, DW & BAT I'd be more sympathetic but as it is I can't see how they're going to justify throwing away another decade (looking at their chassis cycle) of the sport just like that. I'm usually not a doom and gloomer and do not see IndyCar failing in the very near future but I can't see this chassis taking us all the way to 2021.
Old 11 May 2011, 00:54 (Ref:2878502)   #1707
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
I suspect there were both local politics with the Indiana factory and previous relations behind the decision. It was (or should have been) obvious to any one that Swift and Lola has the same ability to produce a safe, effective race car on schedule based on their previous track record. If the choice had been between Dallara, DW & BAT I'd be more sympathetic but as it is I can't see how they're going to justify throwing away another decade (looking at their chassis cycle) of the sport just like that. I'm usually not a doom and gloomer and do not see IndyCar failing in the very near future but I can't see this chassis taking us all the way to 2021.
You make some good points. Regarding the new car and the negative response it's been met with both Dallara and IndyCar really need to re-consider their approach. If this is going to go to 2021, then they will also need to consider an alternative chassis manufacturer or manufacturers.
Old 11 May 2011, 01:22 (Ref:2878507)   #1708
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I'm not going to rehash my posts from last year but it was all about lining the irl's pockets to keep revenue coming in.

And all this is why the sport doesn't need to be in the hands of those in indianapolis. We've gone full circle back to the usac days of the 70's where the only thing that mattered was indy and the rest of the races were filler minutiae the series couldn't be bothered with. And where did that end up?
Old 11 May 2011, 03:55 (Ref:2878521)   #1709
Empty Box
Rookie

Empty Box should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Uhhhh, All in favor of reviving the DP01 say I!

I!

I often wonder why they just don't find the blueprints for a late 90s Reynard. By far some of the absolute best looking cars that lack fenders. No coincidence once they dried up the series went with em!

Anyways, the road course car doesn't look that bad. Looks bad, but not bad enough to run away from the IRL yelling and screaming alone. The Oval kit however..... Something that ugly requires jet propulsion. Can't be that ugly and not have a jet engine in the back. lol

Bolt the current wings back on please, atleast those are positively ridiculous. Ugly cars drive away fans, look at how bad NASCAR got slammed for the CoT. Now, the old NASCAR cars weren't exactly sexy, but neither is the current Dallara.

Am I the only one who sees a Modern LMP missing the front bodywork and floor? Only instead of being good looking.... it's ugly as sin.
Old 11 May 2011, 04:37 (Ref:2878528)   #1710
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty Box View Post
Uhhhh, All in favor of reviving the DP01 say I!

I!

I often wonder why they just don't find the blueprints for a late 90s Reynard. By far some of the absolute best looking cars that lack fenders. No coincidence once they dried up the series went with em!
Hey, back when the irl started it's long death march years ago to this clapped up mock up, they asked that boss at toyota if toyota would come back to the irl and he told the writer he had informed the irl if they brought back 1994 CART rules with modern safety updates, toyota was in. And the irl never got back.
Old 11 May 2011, 15:53 (Ref:2878782)   #1711
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hate both of these efforts! I was hoping for something much better than that. The main reason I was first attracted to American open wheel racing was that the cars looked different. They were low, wide and aggresive. They looked huge at the front & tapered away to the rear...or at least thats how they looked to me...& I was hoping for something either like that or really radical, which they could have had from either Swift or Lola. Instead we're going to be stuck with something that looks like an ugly attempt at a lower tier European formula car with a spindly nose & a fat, heavy looking backside. I was hoping we might see some inventiveness rather than a car covered with gimmicks, but no....and we still have that awful airbox, but now it's a fake one! Why!? I'd actually rather keep the current car than go to this new one. At least I wouldn't be disapointed every time I saw it race. I know this isn't the finished product but the core of the car is & that core comes from completely the wrong starting point IMO.... Just yuck!

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 11 May 2011, 17:50 (Ref:2878854)   #1712
Félix
Veteran

MagnetON
Québec
Félix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFélix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The scary thing is that the Dallara survival cell is mandatory, and that probably included the crash-tested nosebox... and right now it's ugly as sin and it makes it pretty much impossible to design a pretty car.

At first I didn't realise the rollhoop air intake didn't need to be there since it's turbo... some marketing guy probably decided that avoiding a naked rollhoop was cooler than twin sidepod-mounted turbo inlets but I beg to differ!!

And what's up with the rear wheel cowling?? It looks like an LMP design that was not allowed to look like it has enclosed rear wheels and had bits erased in 5 minutes. If you want to be safe and efficient, the rear wheels will be covered. If you want to stay true to your (draggy) open-wheel roots... well design something better than that!

It's amazing, just when the IRL looked like it had momentum to get out of a very deep hole with THREE engine manufacturers, THIS happens!!!
Old 11 May 2011, 19:41 (Ref:2878924)   #1713
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Félix View Post
It's amazing, just when the IRL looked like it had momentum to get out of a very deep hole with THREE engine manufacturers, THIS happens!!!
Exactly!

I am amazed that they're letting this happen, I know they say this isn't the final version but they are obviously happy enough with it to make it public.

I actually thought that IRL had a chance to create something good with the teams, drivers and of course the interest from engine- and aero maufacturers but if they don't stop this I don't think there's anyway the series is going to evolve into something even half decent.
Old 11 May 2011, 19:59 (Ref:2878936)   #1714
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
I can only hope Randy Bernard is listening to the fans because this has been nothing but a complete PR failure.
Old 11 May 2011, 20:35 (Ref:2878950)   #1715
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I can only hope Randy Bernard is listening to the fans because this has been nothing but a complete PR failure.
If he follows trackforum, there are a lot of people over there who like it, according to a poll they started yesterday.

Personally, I do not like it at all.

But this excercise was to show how different the "concepts could be, and likely will not be what the Dallara kits will look like in their final form

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 11 May 2011, 20:40 (Ref:2878951)   #1716
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it isn't showing off the new cars so much as proof of concept. The current ugly dallara can be made 3 ways ugly with different aero kits.
And the next dallara will be similar in that it will look different 3 ways around a fat slow awkward racing chassis.
the DP01s went to superleague or A1 didn't they? So as a spec series superleague and A1 are IRL sporting equivallents... randy you goofed not allowing other manufacturers
Old 11 May 2011, 20:51 (Ref:2878961)   #1717
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt View Post
If he follows trackforum, there are a lot of people over there who like it, according to a poll they started yesterday.

Personally, I do not like it at all.

But this excercise was to show how different the "concepts could be, and likely will not be what the Dallara kits will look like in their final form
Well, there's no counting for taste.

I'd be interested to see the poll and read the various posts.

True, it is to show the different concepts but knowing Dallara's history, at the top end of open wheel racing, I have my doubts.
Old 11 May 2011, 21:22 (Ref:2878977)   #1718
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
There certainly are some interesting comments on Trackforum and someone has removed the airbox from the road/street course car and quite a few people like it. Someone has e-mailed the pic to Ropin' Randy.

I quite like it myself; more in keeping with what I think fans expect to see. However Dallara could do more.

Old 11 May 2011, 21:32 (Ref:2878982)   #1719
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Far better instantly by removing that fake airbox.
Old 11 May 2011, 21:35 (Ref:2878983)   #1720
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondownunder View Post
Far better instantly by removing that fake airbox.
It would also create drag if they were to use it.
Old 11 May 2011, 23:17 (Ref:2879020)   #1721
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Panoz DP01 did indeed go to Superleague and 2nd generation A1. I saw a Champ car Panoz racing at Donington last weekend they really are nice looking cars unlike the total ****e i've being looking at here. Really have these guys got any sense or brain???
Old 11 May 2011, 23:29 (Ref:2879022)   #1722
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
What's interesting about reading the posts on Trackforum regarding these concept cars and the posts here, is the Trackforum people accept these are concepts and not the final version but they are better than what's being raced now.

The biggest dislike most people have on Trackforum is the airbox. Without the airbox, it would be inkeeping with US open wheel racing as the engines were always turbos, with the exception of the IRL after they opted for normally aspirated engines, which despite the various denials, suggests race fans would like the cars to resemble those before the split.
Old 11 May 2011, 23:31 (Ref:2879024)   #1723
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundersports View Post
The Panoz DP01 did indeed go to Superleague and 2nd generation A1.
I don't think the Panoz DP01 had anything to do with the 2nd generation A1GP "Ferrari"??

But certainly the Superleague car shared the same DNA.
Old 11 May 2011, 23:55 (Ref:2879029)   #1724
christcc2
Rookie

christcc2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
bjohnsonsmith you're right. If you mention you like the characteristics of the Reynards from 1995-1999, you're scolded over at TrackForum.

That said, everyone is clamoring for a car (without outright admitting it) that has cues from what we know worked mechanically and aerodynamically (and looked fast), with an evolution to 2012.

Reynard, Lola, Swift and Penske knew what they were doing in the late 1990's. They were able to produce chassis' that out performed anything that IICS is using now.

Think about that. Over a decade ago, the cars performed BETTER than they do now.

Doesn't that seem backwards?
Old 12 May 2011, 00:11 (Ref:2879032)   #1725
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondownunder View Post
I don't think the Panoz DP01 had anything to do with the 2nd generation A1GP "Ferrari"??

But certainly the Superleague car shared the same DNA.
The Superleague cars (DP07) are pretty much the DP01's with an airbox for the V12. I think (unless I'm grossly missremembering) that the DP01's went to a private owner who was going to start a new series in the States for them? Guy who owned the Atlantic series when it sunk perhaps, Green Grand Prix or something maybe?? But yes, the A1GP car has between zero and nothing to do with the Panoz. Was designed by a new team in the UK (A1GP Technologies) next to the carbon business that built the tubs. Design process greatly simplified by borrowing a five-year-old Ferrari F1 design to start off with.