Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 16 Dec 2011, 21:43 (Ref:3001001)   #151
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guessed she was about to announce a full time/part time ride somewhere, i was just curious as to weather any of you guys knew who with, also who are her sponsors likely to be, its to obvious to link her to Go Daddy isn't it? Anyway, i have always had a soft spot for Katherine, hardly a world beater i know but she is more than competent and very quick indeed on occasion, add to that she has always come across as a lovely girl so couldn't be more pleased for her.

Last edited by cds_uk; 16 Dec 2011 at 21:45. Reason: Bloody hell Jacques, your post wasn't there when i started writing mine, :)
Old 20 Dec 2011, 16:17 (Ref:3002299)   #152
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Looks like Conway will be confirmed at Foyt shortly.
Old 20 Dec 2011, 16:53 (Ref:3002313)   #153
DanicaFan
Veteran

United States
Stuckeyville
DanicaFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down F0rce View Post
Looks like Conway will be confirmed at Foyt shortly.
He already is. This should give the team better results on the road/streets. Since thats about all the tracks that are left, it probably makes sense to put a better road course driver in the #14 car.
Old 21 Dec 2011, 04:52 (Ref:3002528)   #154
DanicaFan
Veteran

United States
Stuckeyville
I will first list the confirmed drivers and teams and then a list of speculations. Feel free to add any new developments or updates here too.

Target Chip Ganassi Racing - (Honda Engines) Scott Dixon, Dario Franchitti, G2(satellite team) - Graham Rahal, Charlie Kimball

Team Penske -(Chevrolet Engines) Helio Castroneves, Ryan Briscoe, Will Power

Andretti Autosport - (Chevrolet Engines) Marco Andretti, Ryan Hunter-Reay

Panther Racing -(Chevrolet Engines) JR Hildebrand

Sam Schmidt Racing -(Honda Engines) Simon Pagenaud

HVM Racing -(Lotus Engines) Simona De Silvestro

Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing - Josef Newgarden

AJ Foyt Racing -(Honda Engines) Mike Conway

KV Racing Technology -(Chevrolet Engines) Tony Kanaan

Ed Carpenter Racing - Ed Carpenter

Bryan Herta Autosport -(Lotus Engines) Alex Tagliani

Teams with unconfirmed drivers at this time are..

Dreyer & Reinbold Racing -(Lotus Engines) Rumor has Katerine Legge driving for them with Truecar.com as the sponsor.

Dale Coyne Racing - Hopes to return with 2 full-time cars. James Jakes & Sebastien Bourdais highly probable.

Michael Shank Racing -(Lotus Engines) Plans unknown.

Conquest Racing -(Lotus Engines) Plans unknown.

Dragon Racing -(Chevrolet Engines) Plans unknown.
Old 21 Dec 2011, 05:30 (Ref:3002531)   #155
DanicaFan
Veteran

United States
Stuckeyville
There are quite a few drivers still in the hunt...

Justin Wilson - Could be back with Dreyer & Reinbold, he is sought after pretty strong rite now.
Oriol Servia
James Hinchcliffe
Ana Beatriz
Pippa Mann
Paul Tracy
Vitor Meira
Tomas Scheckter
Jay Howard
EJ Viso
Sebastian Saavedra
Takuma Sato
Townsend Bell
Old 21 Dec 2011, 05:30 (Ref:3002532)   #156
DanicaFan
Veteran

United States
Stuckeyville
Also Ryan Briscoe will be bearing the #2 on his car next season, not the #6.
Old 25 Dec 2011, 00:59 (Ref:3004074)   #157
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Methinks Rahal Racing is not on your list, and they are rumored to be hot after Honda engines and Sato as their driver.

Merry Xmas
Old 3 Jan 2012, 22:32 (Ref:3006932)   #158
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
James Hinchcliffe confirmed today in the GoDaddy.com car for AA. Good for him, I suppose.

I know he's one of the "personalities," but he's also so fake.

He was the one throwing so much hate toward the IRL and the Indy 500 and the reunification when it was convenient to him. Then his job prospects changed and he needed to go over to the other side, and suddenly he loves oval racing and the Indy 500 and is buddies with all these drivers he used to poke fun of and driving for owners he used to be angry with.

He's allowed to have whatever opinions he wants, but he's taken both sides depending on what his job prospects were. When it helped him to win the support of the Champ Car community, he was throwing the hate. When he needed to impress the IRL side to advance his career, he does a full 180°.

I let things slide with reunification; I'm fine if drivers said "let's put this all in the past" but when the series unified, Hinchcliffe didn't. He was right to Facebook or Twitter or wherever making comments about how awful reunification was (and I'm not saying I agree or disagree). It was totally okay for him to make those comments and have that opinion...

...until you see he was just saying that out of bitterness that he didn't have a ride in the new merged series, and as soon as he could, he was off in Indy Lights.

The guy will say anything depending on who his audience is. It's all about getting ahead, and he does it by putting on his fake little act and winning everyone over as "let's make him the face of the sport!"

Yep, the face of the sport that spent years trashing the Indy 500, only to change his opinion when he had no other option but to race in it.

Oh well, good for him.
Old 3 Jan 2012, 23:30 (Ref:3006951)   #159
W.A Trichlorostyrene
Veteran

W.A Trichlorostyrene should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, Hinch did a great job commentating in CCWS in 2007, but I didn't know he was such a CCWS die-hard fan

I do like him TBH, he seems to be a nice guy. I didn't know he's had these comments, but I fail to have any hard feeling it, it feels like everyone and his dog has been bashing the IRL one moment in his life. Remember Paul "I'll never drive any of these crapwagons" Tracy?

Are any of his IRL/500 related quotes still to be found somewhere on the net BTW? Just curious.

Glad he got the drive anyway.

Last edited by W.A Trichlorostyrene; 3 Jan 2012 at 23:35.
Old 4 Jan 2012, 02:12 (Ref:3006981)   #160
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yeah, he's certainly not the only one, but I guess he just comes across as really fake to me...like he as just trying to appease the CCWS die-hards when he wanted a career in CCWS (and even the year after when he was in Atlantics after CCWS ceased), and then when his job took him to Indy, he started to say entirely different things. He just seems like he'll say anything depending on what kind of audience he has, and that irks me.

The comments were either on his Facebook or Twitter. You would have to dig back to February 2008 when they merged for the ones about the merge, and then even further for ones pre-merge. This is assuming he hasn't gone back and deleted them. Wish I could provide concrete quotes for you.

He is a funny guy and a good personality, though. Not convinced he's the next champion given he could never get it done in Atlantics despite his vast experience over weakening fields, but...hey. He did well last year.
Old 4 Jan 2012, 05:57 (Ref:3007004)   #161
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Rabbit View Post
Yeah, he's certainly not the only one, but I guess he just comes across as really fake to me...like he as just trying to appease the CCWS die-hards when he wanted a career in CCWS (and even the year after when he was in Atlantics after CCWS ceased), and then when his job took him to Indy, he started to say entirely different things. He just seems like he'll say anything depending on what kind of audience he has, and that irks me.

The comments were either on his Facebook or Twitter. You would have to dig back to February 2008 when they merged for the ones about the merge, and then even further for ones pre-merge. This is assuming he hasn't gone back and deleted them. Wish I could provide concrete quotes for you.

He is a funny guy and a good personality, though. Not convinced he's the next champion given he could never get it done in Atlantics despite his vast experience over weakening fields, but...hey. He did well last year.
You don't have to waste your time digging all that up as he was firmly in the Champcar camp and it doesn't really matter what people's opinions were 5 or 6 years ago about this or that anyways in terms of exact quotes.

A lot of people back then on the CCWS side were really into his podcasts and commentary and big supporters of his. Honestly I never really paid anything but superficial attention to him, wasn't a fan, wasn't an anti fan, just never thought him as interesting as he seemed to think he was.
Old 4 Jan 2012, 12:07 (Ref:3007100)   #162
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I remember 'dinger bashing NASCAR as well.

I don't really expect drivers to hold true to old opinions, stay in poverty/obscurity if madame fortune beckons. It's not an easy game to be making a living out of in the best of times, it'd be saintly to refuse opportunities at stardom.
Old 4 Jan 2012, 12:35 (Ref:3007103)   #163
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
This is pretty much my opinion of him. I thought he was brilliant at doing commentary, but he never struck me as anything truly special as a driver during Atlantics and Indy Lights. Frankly he should have done more in those five seasons. As such his IndyCar season was way better than I expected and genuinely impressive, but I guess time will tell if he can prove he's a championship contending driver.
Old 4 Jan 2012, 16:25 (Ref:3007185)   #164
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
I remember 'dinger bashing NASCAR as well.

I don't really expect drivers to hold true to old opinions, stay in poverty/obscurity if madame fortune beckons. It's not an easy game to be making a living out of in the best of times, it'd be saintly to refuse opportunities at stardom.
Oh, I completely agree. I don't think Hinchcliffe should be blacklisted or only eligible to race in CCWS. He's obviously done what he needed to do to line up a top ride, and you have to give him credit for sticking around so long even when he's not been a champion in Atlantics or Indy Lights when he really had the experience, equipment, and weak fields to seal the deal. He's doing something right.

I just bring it up as a reason why I'm not as high on him as the "face of the sport" as many other fans are, but it's certainly nothing against his driving or his getting a new ride.

I've always liked the Hélio Castroneves approach. He said in his CART days he wouldn't insult the other series because he never knew when he'd have to race in them. Now, I can write a dissertation on why I'm not a fan of Mr. Castroneves, but I always respected that at the very least. But hey, Hinch was young, the IRL was a joke at the time, the merge was a bit messy (to be fair any merge would have been), so good for him being able to find a drive and all that.
Old 4 Jan 2012, 16:42 (Ref:3007198)   #165
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
AFS Racing
Ordered a car, probably a rotation of Schmidt drivers (Cunningham, Plowman, Tung, etc).

A.J. Foyt Enterprises (Honda)
14. Mike Conway
Still working on a second car; could be a part-time effort with Bertrand Baguette.

Andretti Autosport (Chevrolet)
26. Marco Andretti
27?. James Hinchcliffe
28. Ryan Hunter-Reay
Fourth car not likely.

Bryan Herta Autosport (Lotus)
x. Alex Tagliani

Chip Ganassi Racing (Honda)
9. Scott Dixon
10. Dario Franchitti
38. Graham Rahal
83. Charlie Kimball
Had been rumors of a fifth car for Takuma Sato, but not strong ones.

Conquest Racing (Lotus)
They insist their LMP2 effort is in addition to their IndyCar one, but I'm less than convinced. Ride-buyers like Esteban Guerrieri (who is actually talented), Gustavo Yacamán (who is not), etc. will flock to this ride if it exists; could easily be a rotation of many.

Dale Coyne Racing
Possibility of a Justin Wilson/Bill Pappas reunion at DCR in the 19 as Sébastien Bourdais opts to run for the WEC. James Jakes expected to return, but seat still open to others. Had heard Jay Howard's name here, Katherine Legge as well. Either way, Brits all around for them more likely than not.

Davey Hamilton Racing
Nothing concrete here, but some type of limited schedule with Brandon Wagner is talked about from time-to-time.

Dragon Racing

They ordered a car. Nothing else to say.

Dreyer & Reinbold Racing (Lotus)
Believed to be Katherine Legge in the second car with TrueCar sponsorship. Justin Wilson may return to the first car; they want him back. If he goes to Coyne, no idea, but I suspect Lotus could have a say and try to fit James Rossiter in (pure speculation there; I know he is looking for an Indy ride though but never heard where).

Ed Carpenter Racing
20. Ed Carpenter

HVM Racing (Lotus)
78. Simona de Silvestro
Second car for Jean Alesi at the Indianapolis 500 possible.

KV Racing Technology (Chevrolet)

11?. Tony Kanaan
59?. E.J. Viso
Third car will either be Esteban Guerrieri or a European driver.

MSR Indy (Lotus)
No word on who will drive the 60 car; could be Justin Wilson, but doesn't seem probable. They want someone with experience.

Panther Racing (Chevrolet)

4. J.R. Hildebrand
Working on second car; Ana Beatriz, Pippa Mann, and Oriol ServiÃ* all linked to it.

Team Penske (Chevrolet)
2. Ryan Briscoe
3. Hélio Castroneves
12. Will Power

RLL Racing (Honda)
Takuma Sato is a leading candidate. Also talking with Oriol ServiÃ*. Jay Howard has a ride, #66, with Service Central sponsorship. No word if full-time or part-time, but apparently it has to do with RLL.

Sam Schmidt Motorsports (Honda)
77. Simon Pagenaud
May run a second car of rotating drivers, at least part-time, but they may just use another team (i.e. AFS or Dragon) to do that.

Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing
67. Josef Newgarden
Old 4 Jan 2012, 17:11 (Ref:3007218)   #166
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Oh, I completely agree. I don't think Hinchcliffe should be blacklisted or only eligible to race in CCWS. He's obviously done what he needed to do to line up a top ride, and you have to give him credit for sticking around so long even when he's not been a champion in Atlantics or Indy Lights when he really had the experience, equipment, and weak fields to seal the deal. He's doing something right.

I just bring it up as a reason why I'm not as high on him as the "face of the sport" as many other fans are, but it's certainly nothing against his driving or his getting a new ride.

I've always liked the Hélio Castroneves approach. He said in his CART days he wouldn't insult the other series because he never knew when he'd have to race in them. Now, I can write a dissertation on why I'm not a fan of Mr. Castroneves, but I always respected that at the very least. But hey, Hinch was young, the IRL was a joke at the time, the merge was a bit messy (to be fair any merge would have been), so good for him being able to find a drive and all that.
For me what people choose to do with their lives is not up for us to judge, although obviously we can criticize or be opinionated about it, especially when fandom is involved. As I said back when Champcar folded it's cards, you can't demand loyalty to a defunct business organization. If mechanics or whoever felt they needed to feed their families and work in the irl, so be it. It's not a personal choice I would make myself, as I feel there are other opportunities and choices out there.

I don't put a lot of stock in what people said 5 years ago because people change, lives change, circumstances change. There are probably a lot of big tony george supporters that years later now see the errors of their ways and wished they had never backed his stupidity.

And there was no merge, there was a buy out/payoff. The 4 Champcar owners could not agree on key issues, so KK did a deal on his own and the irl and tony george bought off teams to switch to fill the irl field which was looking pretty short at the time. There wasn't a sufficient number of other cars to fill a Champcar field, so the other Champcar owners pulled the plug and said enough is enough. It was just a long continuation of the team owners being in the middle of a tug of war between two patronage parties using money and goods to get people on their side. The team owners played it well, but it squeezed the sport of all it's capital and public interest and now it's all but dead.
Old 4 Jan 2012, 18:59 (Ref:3007275)   #167
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A very fair summary of a sad situation.
Old 4 Jan 2012, 23:41 (Ref:3007452)   #168
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quite a few cars still without an announced engine package...
Old 5 Jan 2012, 12:20 (Ref:3007651)   #169
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Just listening to the 'Trackside' podcast...

Apparently, the Dallara showroom in Speedway has 18 of the old cars sprayed up in NFL team colours proudly on display....

Please please please don't tell me that Randy didn't see Superleague Formula???
Old 5 Jan 2012, 16:47 (Ref:3007750)   #170
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
Just listening to the 'Trackside' podcast...

Apparently, the Dallara showroom in Speedway has 18 of the old cars sprayed up in NFL team colours proudly on display....

Please please please don't tell me that Randy didn't see Superleague Formula???
Promotional thing for the Superbowl this year being held in Indianapolis...
http://www.indianapolissuperbowl.com/super-cars/
Old 5 Jan 2012, 16:58 (Ref:3007752)   #171
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wilson back at Coyne...
Old 5 Jan 2012, 18:15 (Ref:3007772)   #172
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting interview with Pippa Mann in todays "I", she talked about the Vegas crash, injuries and recovery and also said she is very close to raising the $4 million needed for a seat this year.
Old 5 Jan 2012, 21:44 (Ref:3007886)   #173
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
I'm still a bit confused if Katherine Legge or Pippa Mann ended up with the TrueCar sponsorship. It was reported to be between the two (they are only sponsoring female drivers this year in all of the series they compete in), then said to be Legge, but she never announced her exciting news, so now I have to wonder...

Wilson to DCR isn't a surprise, but it is a shame that Sébastien Bourdais will not be participating in the 2012 season by the looks of it. I know the factory Peugeot drive in the WEC means a lot to him, so I do understand why he chose to do that. Still, I had hoped he would be able to be a serious contender with the new car.

As for Wilson, it's time to get the results he's supposed to! We all know he can, but it just hasn't worked out for him for so many reasons at all the teams he's been with. Bourdais could run well in DCR equipment, and now with the new car and Bill Pappas, they can do that much better.
Old 5 Jan 2012, 22:20 (Ref:3007902)   #174
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
I'm still a bit confused if Katherine Legge or Pippa Mann ended up with the TrueCar sponsorship. It was reported to be between the two (they are only sponsoring female drivers this year in all of the series they compete in), then said to be Legge, but she never announced her exciting news, so now I have to wonder...

Wilson to DCR isn't a surprise, but it is a shame that Sébastien Bourdais will not be participating in the 2012 season by the looks of it. I know the factory Peugeot drive in the WEC means a lot to him, so I do understand why he chose to do that. Still, I had hoped he would be able to be a serious contender with the new car.

As for Wilson, it's time to get the results he's supposed to! We all know he can, but it just hasn't worked out for him for so many reasons at all the teams he's been with. Bourdais could run well in DCR equipment, and now with the new car and Bill Pappas, they can do that much better.
The whole Truecar thing there is reason to be skeptical as basically it's an internet startup that is running on a $200 million dollar blob of financing. There are already similar companies or options out there, so we will see if they are able to create success out of what they have.

Bourdais didn't sound too impressed with some of the stuff that went down last year and with the new car being a total dud, if I was him I'd keep his factory job, race sportscars, get an enduro drive in V8SC, and enjoy life. It's a waste of time to come over here to race for pennies in a sketchy car with sketchy talent around you on track with a sketchy schedule on some sketchy tracks.
Old 5 Jan 2012, 23:25 (Ref:3007943)   #175
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
With Indycar 2012 being a gigantic, lumbering Frankenstein experiment, how could sticking with Peugeot be anything other than a no-brainer for Bourdais?