Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 29 Apr 2014, 10:16 (Ref:3399596)   #151
Biggy G
Veteran

Biggy G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it his?! Owned by silver fern helicopters, but obviously Kim has use of it, he's definitely got money....

Old 29 Apr 2014, 22:02 (Ref:3399843)   #152
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
lol kim dotcom?? it would kinda makes sense.. if he is the one behind the new team.
Old 29 Apr 2014, 22:52 (Ref:3399852)   #153
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What?! That is a bit out of left field.

Super Black Racing; SBR? Doesn't that kind of cross over to Stone Brothers, or is that no more now that they are run under Erebus?

Speaking of Erebus AMG Mercedes, and assuming Kim.com is backing the Kiwi team, will the team be looking at running Mercedes cars as well? Kim.com is a bit of a fan to say the least, plus he is German. I would imagine Mercedes would want to keep even further away from him than they do Betty, but maybe this is the reason we haven't seen dealer support with Erebus yet.. because they have committed to this new team?

Old 29 Apr 2014, 23:58 (Ref:3399862)   #154
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
V8SC Looking to Reduce Air Freight Costs

...maybe this is the smokescreen to getting a 2nd NZ round up & running....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 30 Apr 2014, 00:01 (Ref:3399863)   #155
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikuni View Post
What?! That is a bit out of left field.

Super Black Racing; SBR? Doesn't that kind of cross over to Stone Brothers, or is that no more now that they are run under Erebus?

Speaking of Erebus AMG Mercedes, and assuming Kim.com is backing the Kiwi team, will the team be looking at running Mercedes cars as well? Kim.com is a bit of a fan to say the least, plus he is German. I would imagine Mercedes would want to keep even further away from him than they do Betty, but maybe this is the reason we haven't seen dealer support with Erebus yet.. because they have committed to this new team?

They have a FB page Here

That;s the sign of a real deal isnt it?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 30 Apr 2014, 00:16 (Ref:3399867)   #156
raymond
Racer

New Zealand
Palmerston North
raymond should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwhk View Post
Why not something simple like New Zealand Racing - NZR? Says it all, doesn't sound cheap and over done, and contracts nicely.
NZR over here means NZ Railways from the past. it was a Govt owned venture that was possibly inefficient, but at least provided jobs for huge numbers that are now on benefits! Not sure this is the image-baggage they need???
Old 30 Apr 2014, 01:01 (Ref:3399872)   #157
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Biggest question is where is the money coming from?
Well it is not coming from the NBA

Last edited by Just Do It!; 30 Apr 2014 at 01:08.
Old 30 Apr 2014, 01:03 (Ref:3399873)   #158
Samwhk
Racer

New Zealand
Samwhk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking at the Facebook page, the cover pic is of an all black Falcon with 'Only Domains' on the rear flank. The director of which is apparently an investor in Mega...
Old 30 Apr 2014, 05:09 (Ref:3399899)   #159
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
V8SC Looking to Reduce Air Freight Costs

...maybe this is the smokescreen to getting a 2nd NZ round up & running....
Isn't there a rule (or agreement) stopping them being allowed to run a second NZ round?
Old 30 Apr 2014, 05:50 (Ref:3399904)   #160
Biggy G
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo1 View Post
Isn't there a rule (or agreement) stopping them being allowed to run a second NZ round?
Have read that somewhere, but thought that now they were "International V8 Supercars" they'd be ok? Wasn't it only an issue when they were the "Australian V8 Supercars"?
Old 30 Apr 2014, 07:21 (Ref:3399921)   #161
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Was the issue part of the contract relationship with Hamilton? Which would be gone now

Or maybe its part of the deal with the current NZ round.

Its not an issue with the texas round
Old 30 Apr 2014, 07:54 (Ref:3399929)   #162
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Was the issue part of the contract relationship with Hamilton? Which would be gone now

Or maybe its part of the deal with the current NZ round.

Its not an issue with the texas round
No, I believe it is or was an agreement with NZ motorsport governing body that they will not run more than 1 round so as not to compromise the NZ touring car series'.

It's a recollection of something I read, so the reasoning may not be accurate, but there was definitely a previous restriction on them running more than one round. So wondering if that restriction was still in place.
Old 30 Apr 2014, 09:10 (Ref:3399948)   #163
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
No, I believe it is or was an agreement with NZ motorsport governing body that they will not run more than 1 round so as not to compromise the NZ touring car series'.

It's a recollection of something I read, so the reasoning may not be accurate, but there was definitely a previous restriction on them running more than one round. So wondering if that restriction was still in place.
V8 Supercar drivers call for second NZ event

Quote:
The sport's governing body, the FIA, currently only allows there to be one V8 Supercars race in New Zealand each year - something that would need to be sorted out.
Old 30 Apr 2014, 22:47 (Ref:3400183)   #164
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Old 1 May 2014, 04:14 (Ref:3400213)   #165
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Yep, that was it. Nice work.

I think I think the only way forward for a second event is for the NZ governing body to give permission for V8s to have a second event and then the FIA would rubber-stamp it.

One thing on the comments, all of the rationale seems to be around having the two NZ rounds back to back. NZ's a small place - would it really be commercially viable to have two rounds back-to-back, even if they were on separate islands?
Old 2 May 2014, 08:55 (Ref:3400658)   #166
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Chris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yep, that was it. Nice work.

I think I think the only way forward for a second event is for the NZ governing body to give permission for V8s to have a second event and then the FIA would rubber-stamp it.

One thing on the comments, all of the rationale seems to be around having the two NZ rounds back to back. NZ's a small place - would it really be commercially viable to have two rounds back-to-back, even if they were on separate islands?
I would think some people would go to both rounds with one-off spectators picked up at both venues. It may reduce the Pukekohe crowd but I would think overall the freight costs would be better defrayed with hopefully both venues still making a profit.

I think it would be good for the local V8 categories to be exposed to much bigger crowds and to 'live' Australian TV coverage, as was the case last weekend with V8 Super Tourers.
Old 2 May 2014, 09:02 (Ref:3400661)   #167
Biggy G
Veteran

I actually think two back to back rounds in NZ might struggle, we're a fickle bunch us Kiwis, easily put off attending an event "Live" especially with such extensive coverage on TV. One at Puke and the other at a renovated HD or Taupo? Big Gamble. Have one at Highlands and I think you'd have a better chance, bit more of a "spectacle" to be had down there.
Old 2 May 2014, 09:10 (Ref:3400670)   #168
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They'd be mad not to run at Highlands.
Old 2 May 2014, 09:14 (Ref:3400671)   #169
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggy G View Post
I actually think two back to back rounds in NZ might struggle, we're a fickle bunch us Kiwis, easily put off attending an event "Live" especially with such extensive coverage on TV. One at Puke and the other at a renovated HD or Taupo? Big Gamble. Have one at Highlands and I think you'd have a better chance, bit more of a "spectacle" to be had down there.
Having a second meeting a week or two later at Hampton Downs (only 30 minutes from Pukekohe) or Taupo (around 3 hours from Pukekohe and without a major city within 2 hours) would be suicide for both meetings.

The second meeting would have to be in the South Island, or at least at Manfeild to try and draw a Wellington crowd.

If the second meeting was in the South Island it would have to raise the question of whether it still makes economic sense to freight everything down there. Auckland to Queenstown (for example, if using Highlands Park) is about a 2hr flight, so surely almost as costly as simply sending the cars back to Aus?
https://www.google.co.nz/maps/dir/Au...!2d-45.0311622
Old 2 May 2014, 10:27 (Ref:3400685)   #170
JC Ohope
Racer

New Zealand
Wellington
JC Ohope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJC Ohope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikuni View Post
Having a second meeting a week or two later at Hampton Downs (only 30 minutes from Pukekohe) or Taupo (around 3 hours from Pukekohe and without a major city within 2 hours) would be suicide for both meetings.

The second meeting would have to be in the South Island, or at least at Manfeild to try and draw a Wellington crowd.

If the second meeting was in the South Island it would have to raise the question of whether it still makes economic sense to freight everything down there. Auckland to Queenstown (for example, if using Highlands Park) is about a 2hr flight, so surely almost as costly as simply sending the cars back to Aus?
https://www.google.co.nz/maps/dir/Au...!2d-45.0311622
Knowing Queenstown airport - It's also very unlikely that you'd get their freight planes into there, I'm pretty sure it can't take anything significantly bigger than an A320 and there's not really any major airports nearby. I'm sure they wouldn't fly to Christchurch or Dunedin and then truck them the remainder of the distance as that would be even more costly....

It's a shame as I'd actually be tempted to fly down for an event at Highlands - it looked to be a pretty awesome facility when I was there last year.
Old 2 May 2014, 10:32 (Ref:3400692)   #171
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Chris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggy G View Post
V8 Super Tourers have live coverage, do they not? If so, that could partly prove your point as those events are sadly under patronised. But then there are several events to go to during the year, as opposed to theoretically only two V8 Supercar events a year.

I seem to remember two consecutive non-championship events held in NZ in the early days of V8 Supercar and weren't events held on consecutive weekends or thereabouts back in the Group A 'Nissan - Mobil' endurance series days? Maybe that's already been mentioned in this thread, my apologies if so.
Old 2 May 2014, 12:11 (Ref:3400721)   #172
Biggy G
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris - Melb View Post
V8 Super Tourers have live coverage, do they not? If so, that could partly prove your point as those events are sadly under patronised. But then there are several events to go to during the year, as opposed to theoretically only two V8 Supercar events a year.

I seem to remember two consecutive non-championship events held in NZ in the early days of V8 Supercar and weren't events held on consecutive weekends or thereabouts back in the Group A 'Nissan - Mobil' endurance series days? Maybe that's already been mentioned in this thread, my apologies if so.
V8 Supertourers have and haven't had live/same day coverage. But you are right in that the crowds have been disappointing for the series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Ohope

Knowing Queenstown airport - It's also very unlikely that you'd get their freight planes into there, I'm pretty sure it can't take anything significantly bigger than an A320 and there's not really any major airports nearby. I'm sure they wouldn't fly to Christchurch or Dunedin and then truck them the remainder of the distance as that would be even more costly....

It's a shame as I'd actually be tempted to fly down for an event at Highlands - it looked to be a pretty awesome facility when I was there last year.
I actually thought trucking from CHCH or Dunedin to Highlands would be a decent idea? Would be more costly but if they go AKL>CHCH and then truck it couldn't be too bad could it?

I think where you put the crowd at Highlands would be another issue, they had 5000~ for the "Highlands 101" weekend with the Australian GT, I don't know where they'd put another 15,000 people.
Old 8 May 2014, 03:12 (Ref:3403602)   #173
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Red Bull signed with Holden til end of 2016 and end of the local Commode
Old 8 May 2014, 06:27 (Ref:3403634)   #174
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Red Bull are until the end of 2015
Old 8 May 2014, 08:10 (Ref:3403667)   #175
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Red Bull are until the end of 2015
Speedcafe story says: Although previously contracted in three year instalments, the new Triple Eight deal is thought to be for two years, aligning with the end of local manufacturing.

Assuming by your little wink icon you've got some different info?