Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 7 Sep 2012, 10:19 (Ref:3132430)   #151
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Just seen a genuine Checker Yellow Cab being used as a wedding car in Bangor. Or do they build replicas these days?

Nice to see something other than a Daimler D420 or ghastly Beauford kit-car.
Old 8 Sep 2012, 09:56 (Ref:3132842)   #152
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
As well as a black Ferrari 550 or 575, (didn't get a good look), I saw something I didn't know existed - a white Porsche 944 Carrera. At least that's what it said on the huge script decal on the side - of course it could have been a recreation based on a stock 944. But it looked the part, very butch and purposeful.
Old 8 Sep 2012, 20:38 (Ref:3132965)   #153
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Couple of classics spotted on the way to Silverstone this morning: an Alvis TE21 saloon on the outskirts of Newmarket & a Citroen Traction Avant near Wellingboro.
Old 9 Sep 2012, 05:31 (Ref:3133072)   #154
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaholic View Post
Couple of classics spotted on the way to Silverstone this morning: an Alvis TE21 saloon on the outskirts of Newmarket & a Citroen Traction Avant near Wellingboro.
The Traction Avant survival rate seems to be remarkably good judging by the number that turn up at classic car gatherings here. Somebody we know has two - one black, one cream - & they served as wedding cars for some friends' wedding 2 or 3 years ago.

I still haven't worked out all the different variations & models produced over the years - I need a Traction Avant spotter's guide.

Found myself following a Renault 5 Turbo yesterday afternoon & it didn't swap ends at all!
Old 9 Sep 2012, 07:30 (Ref:3133103)   #155
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
I saw something I didn't know existed - a white Porsche 944 Carrera.
https://www.google.com.qa/search?q=p...w=1277&bih=624
Old 9 Sep 2012, 10:33 (Ref:3133166)   #156
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Coo....Must be rare as hen's teeth in my neck of the woods, though.
Old 11 Sep 2012, 17:46 (Ref:3134347)   #157
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
Just seen a genuine Checker Yellow Cab being used as a wedding car in Bangor. Or do they build replicas these days?

Nice to see something other than a Daimler D420 or ghastly Beauford kit-car.
They just went bankrupt a couple of years ago.
Old 12 Sep 2012, 17:25 (Ref:3134911)   #158
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Snapped this in Key West a couple of weeks ago

Old 25 Sep 2012, 19:09 (Ref:3141595)   #159
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Two unusual Lancias spotted today. On the way into town I spied an absolute minter of a Lancia Beta Monte Carlo parked in one of the villages. Then, on the way home I met a Dedra, although admittedly I regularly see that one.

Also a passed a very smart Renault 10 - for some reason the survival rate of these seems to be worse than the earlier R8.
Old 28 Sep 2012, 16:17 (Ref:3143289)   #160
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I saw another Karma and a B7 Alpina
Old 29 Sep 2012, 03:24 (Ref:3143511)   #161
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
I saw a different B7 Alpina today. Weird seeing as how I've never seen one.

The car on the roll back is a 612 Scaglietti. It has been debadged and painted matte black... and the wheels... oh my. Not that I'm a big 612 or ferrari fan, but this proves that those that can afford to buy them shouldn't be allowed to.

Old 4 Oct 2012, 17:03 (Ref:3146180)   #162
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
I saw a 348 Spider today. Still a very pretty car.
Old 5 Oct 2012, 01:50 (Ref:3146431)   #163
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I saw a 348 Spider today. Still a very pretty car.
Yes.

Strangely enough the 348 with a roof never really worked and it was not the best Ferrari in terms of it's driving dynamics.

But I remember when the Spider came out. I scrounged up a few bucks and had bought a Dupont Registry magazine. It had an ad in there for the new Spider. I spent a lot of time looking at the photo and eventually put it on my wall, vowing one day I would own one. These days they are around $40-$50K, not an unreasonable cost.

I have a friend that owns a 348. He bought it for $33,000. Beautiful car but they need to be driven to keep them up. It sits in a carpeted heated garage all the time and is driven maybe twice a year. A waste of a decent car.
Old 5 Oct 2012, 18:13 (Ref:3146716)   #164
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
Yes.

Strangely enough the 348 with a roof never really worked and it was not the best Ferrari in terms of it's driving dynamics.

But I remember when the Spider came out. I scrounged up a few bucks and had bought a Dupont Registry magazine. It had an ad in there for the new Spider. I spent a lot of time looking at the photo and eventually put it on my wall, vowing one day I would own one. These days they are around $40-$50K, not an unreasonable cost.

I have a friend that owns a 348. He bought it for $33,000. Beautiful car but they need to be driven to keep them up. It sits in a carpeted heated garage all the time and is driven maybe twice a year. A waste of a decent car.
I don't even like the Spider's with the roof up. Looks too much like a Lotus Elan (I guess it would be the other way 'round). That's the only Ferrari with the side "strakes" that works for me. The problem with owning a modern classic exotic car is maintenance. Even if you can do the work yourself the cost of parts is insane.

The car on my wall was a yellow Lotus Esprit Turbo S4. Do kids even do that anymore?
Old 6 Oct 2012, 09:10 (Ref:3146991)   #165
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down

Coming out of the local MOT station last night, a Riley 9 Monaco, fabric Weymann body , in BRG. Surprised to see one that hadn't been turned into a special or Brooklands replica.
Old 6 Oct 2012, 14:37 (Ref:3147112)   #166
lemansfan
Veteran

Germany
westernmost District of Germany
lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lemansf...57631369064736

3 Weeks ago during my Holidays in Austria a very rare Maserati MC12
Old 7 Oct 2012, 06:02 (Ref:3147390)   #167
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I don't even like the Spider's with the roof up. Looks too much like a Lotus Elan (I guess it would be the other way 'round). That's the only Ferrari with the side "strakes" that works for me. The problem with owning a modern classic exotic car is maintenance. Even if you can do the work yourself the cost of parts is insane.

The car on my wall was a yellow Lotus Esprit Turbo S4. Do kids even do that anymore?
I've seen some of those S4's up for sale at what I remembered as a reasonable cost, but they didn't make many of them. It seems the 88-91 models are more common.

I think my friend paid $102 for an air filter for his 348. He does some of his own maintenance and he has access to a former Ferrari tech that worked directly for Ferrari. The problem with that car and the 355 is for some of the major services the engine has to come out and the bill is over $5K.
Old 11 Oct 2012, 09:05 (Ref:3149828)   #168
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Spotted a Panhard 24CT out enjoying yesterdays' glorious sunshine on the coast.

Such a tiny engine for the size of car...
Old 22 Oct 2012, 16:56 (Ref:3155947)   #169
lemansfan
Veteran

Germany
westernmost District of Germany
lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lemansf...57631828589826

Yesterday at Circuit Zolder : Bugatti Veyron
Old 23 Oct 2012, 10:48 (Ref:3156412)   #170
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
I'm not really a bike man, but I just parked next to this in Conway Square. Can't be that many in Northern Ireland, and it was secured by a chain on the front wheel that James Coburn could easily have dealt with using his "The Great Escape" cutters.

Buell XB9SX
Old 29 Oct 2012, 08:43 (Ref:3159390)   #171
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Saw an Aston Martin DB5 or 6 stopped on the side of the freeway heading into town last week - what do you think, stopped for a phone call or broken down?
Old 29 Oct 2012, 11:36 (Ref:3159470)   #172
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875 View Post
Saw an Aston Martin DB5 or 6 stopped on the side of the freeway heading into town last week - what do you think, stopped for a phone call or broken down?
Waiting for a British agent to parachute out of the sky, land through the open sunroof, kiss the beautiful girl, and then roar off to save the world from the evil clutches of Bernie Ecclestone.
Old 1 Nov 2012, 23:10 (Ref:3161296)   #173
FastDB2s
Veteran

England
Solihull, West Mids
FastDB2s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Broken down - rotor arm u/s
Old 2 Nov 2012, 14:13 (Ref:3161586)   #174
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
It is a car you can be proud to break down in.
Old 2 Jan 2013, 12:34 (Ref:3183796)   #175
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
Passing my local Renault dealer and there on the forecourt was a new Dacia Sandero. It was only a quick glimpse, but I have to say it didn't look too bad at all. Not handsome, not chic, but at £6k for a brand-new 5-seater family car, you can't have it all.

OK there's minimal luxury equipment for the base price, but for those who want the satisfaction and peace of mind that comes with a new car, it appears to be a bargain. If Renault have instigated modern quality-control at the plant, and the steel is of a better standard than Eastern-Bloc products of the miserable past, then they could be onto a winner. Just right for those who just need transport from A to B, a trip to the supermarket or the garden centre.

Not for me, though (!)