Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 27 Jun 2009, 15:25 (Ref:2491626)   #151
bjwedgemtu
Rookie

bjwedgemtu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it could be done. Engineers are weird people, i know because i'm going to school to be one. If we want to build something then it will be built. If panoz comes out with an front engine LMP1 i'm sure it will be a very well built piece of machinery
Old 27 Jun 2009, 22:09 (Ref:2491747)   #152
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I was wondering how much work would have to be done to the old car to make it eligible in the P1 rules? I know the rear wing would have to be redone, but how about other aspects that I can't think of? I checked Mike's site, and the physical size of the car seems to be within bounds, but what else would it need to be "competitive" with the likes of Autocon and Intersport?
Old 27 Jun 2009, 23:14 (Ref:2491771)   #153
Cuttlefish
Racer

United States
Seattle, WA
Cuttlefish should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, for one thing, it would need to have the undertray and splitter completely redone to comply with the 2004 regulations.
Old 27 Jun 2009, 23:31 (Ref:2491777)   #154
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjwedgemtu View Post
I think it could be done. Engineers are weird people, i know because i'm going to school to be one. If we want to build something then it will be built. If panoz comes out with an front engine LMP1 i'm sure it will be a very well built piece of machinery
Like the LMP07 was?
Old 28 Jun 2009, 02:31 (Ref:2491804)   #155
bjwedgemtu
Rookie

bjwedgemtu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the LMP07 was not the fastest car but had some improvements over the LMP1...which is the reason it was built.
Old 28 Jun 2009, 06:04 (Ref:2491829)   #156
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjwedgemtu View Post
the LMP07 was not the fastest car but had some improvements over the LMP1...which is the reason it was built.
in theory anyway.. shame theory doesn't always work out in real life.
Old 28 Jun 2009, 15:52 (Ref:2492766)   #157
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttlefish View Post
Well, for one thing, it would need to have the undertray and splitter completely redone to comply with the 2004 regulations.
Nor could it pass a crash test. (It didn't the first time, except for some "slight-of-hand" that won't be allowed this time around.)
Old 29 Jun 2009, 20:51 (Ref:2493538)   #158
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Flyin Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No love for my catamaran idea?
Old 30 Jun 2009, 02:37 (Ref:2493648)   #159
Ted bennett
Racer

England
Derbyshire
Ted bennett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Ryan View Post
I should have replied earlier to your catamaran post, sorry. I can't really visualise what you mean by it so a sketch would be handy.
Old 30 Jun 2009, 02:59 (Ref:2493651)   #160
yamato
Racer

yamato should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think he means with the driver in one of the side pods????
Old 30 Jun 2009, 05:53 (Ref:2493674)   #161
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
No ..... you should be burned alive for conjuring up such revolting and repugnant images in ones mind !!!
Old 30 Jun 2009, 14:43 (Ref:2493938)   #162
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
if they are just thinking of bolstering alms grids, then they could just add a prototype invitational class & let non-aco legal cars run (if they performance balanced them to fill the gt1 void then i doubt anybody would object)
Old 30 Jun 2009, 16:51 (Ref:2494001)   #163
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted bennett View Post
I should have replied earlier to your catamaran post, sorry. I can't really visualise what you mean by it so a sketch would be handy.

Not necessarily for you. I'm from the coast so I know what it is but I don't know if everyone does. A catamaran is a double hull boat where each hull is on the sides and provides the main structural support for the inner part. On most catamarans, there's nothing in the middle touching the water and what ones do is usually less structural and more ascetic.

For a racecar, as I'm visualizing it in my head, your "hulls" would be the width of the tires and would run down the full length of the cars. That structure then would hold the central structure of the driver, cockpit, engine, and transmission. The connections between the side hulls and the cockpit/engine/transmission could be analogous to suspension A-arms. I suppose in a way it'd have a passing resemblance to an open wheel car/single-seater, just with covered tires and running hulls down the side. The reason I think this has potential is because of all the tricks you could do in regards to air handling after Mulsanne Mike was saying that was one of the inherent difficulties of roadsters. You don't have to flow the air over the car, you can instead just have the air go right on by and not hit anything, reducing your frontal friction coefficient, and what air you can capture you could have a good-sized tunnel by having no car structure there, and that will direct it to the rear wing.

I suppose the cars in a way now are catamarans (the only things touching the ground are the tires), but I was thinking more in visual terms for reasons of air flow. I'll have to see if I can make a picture on my ProE and post it here.

Potential problems:

-Can the central weight be held up by the sides? In an oval car you might be able to shift the weight more toward the car's left, but in a road racing car the weight would have to be in a more neutral position. This would also have to have a smaller engine that would likely be turbocharged.
-Crash test. If there's a well-designed frame, this can be done though I think.
-How much air does it really help direct?
-Depends on design, but could be a higher cg.
Old 30 Jun 2009, 19:19 (Ref:2494083)   #164
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Not like this catamaran car then?

http://www.racingsportscars.com/phot...-07-04-010.jpg
Old 30 Jun 2009, 22:51 (Ref:2494180)   #165
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
AndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
lol, that is one funny looking car.

Aren't there landspeed record cars that look like catamarans?
Old 1 Jul 2009, 00:33 (Ref:2494224)   #166
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Well to do the catamaran concept means a full width monocoque which means an inability to move air efficiently through the car. Sure, you could put air through the center part but you forget, you have an engine up front that precludes this from happening. Additionally, while I can't see anything in the regulations that states a maximum distance laterally (there is a minimum) for the width of the safety structures, I think the ACO would take issue with the driver effectively being the first thing that would be hit in a side impact collision.
Old 1 Jul 2009, 01:11 (Ref:2494230)   #167
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Quote:
Originally Posted by MulsanneMike View Post
Well to do the catamaran concept means a full width monocoque which means an inability to move air efficiently through the car. Sure, you could put air through the center part but you forget, you have an engine up front that precludes this from happening.
No. Not through. Over and under. The arms that connect the side hulls to the central body would be thin and flat and take up only as much space length-wise as necessary structurally.

Quote:
Additionally, while I can't see anything in the regulations that states a maximum distance laterally (there is a minimum) for the width of the safety structures, I think the ACO would take issue with the driver effectively being the first thing that would be hit in a side impact collision.
The hulls would have to be structurally better to be able to support the central weight, and the driver and cockpit crash structure would be located centrally. Once I finish my current project, I'll see if I can do a concept on ProE and pass to you. Nothing will come of it, it's just for giggles.
Old 1 Jul 2009, 17:37 (Ref:2494621)   #168
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
No. Not through. Over and under. The arms that connect the side hulls to the central body would be thin and flat and take up only as much space length-wise as necessary structurally.

The hulls would have to be structurally better to be able to support the central weight, and the driver and cockpit crash structure would be located centrally. Once I finish my current project, I'll see if I can do a concept on ProE and pass to you. Nothing will come of it, it's just for giggles.
I understand your idea, and thought of it myself when the rumor was first introduced at Sebring. I did a quick look at the old LMP and my drawing and realized that the concept in some way already was used in the LMP, and that the engine and driver monoque takes up too much room the allow efficient air to pass thru. Remember there must be room for "2" people in the car!
Old 1 Jul 2009, 19:39 (Ref:2494672)   #169
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Quote:
How much room do you think is between the bottom of the tub and the floor pan?

Remember, you want to keep the CG as low as possible...
Old 2 Jul 2009, 01:44 (Ref:2494823)   #170
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
||||---++++++--||||
||||=={{{{{{{==||||
||||--{{{{{{{---||||
||||--{{{{{{{---||||
||||--{{{{{{{---||||
||||<<{{{{{{{>>||||
||||<<\vvvvv/>>||||
||||---\vvvvv/---||||
||||---\vvvvv/---||||
||||---\xxxxx/----||||
||||---\xxxxx/----||||
||||===\xxx/====||||
||||%%%\/%%%||||

Looking from Top, very rough

*** Rear wing
||| Side hulls (tires underneath)
{{{ Cockpit
+++ Roll hoop structure behind driver
=== Driveshafts
xxx Transmission
vvv Engine
\\\/// Represents cowling that goes over engine/transmission and guides the air to the side of the cockpit
<<>> The central weight support, only thick enough to support the cars weight, does not cover the full height of the car, for fun we can have louvres on top or it can guide the air in a certain way to the rear wing
--- Empty space
%%% Front splitter, air cover for front driveshafts and transmission
Old 2 Jul 2009, 02:26 (Ref:2494826)   #171
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
so if there is a P1 Panoz run by PTG next year I guess that is the end of the GT2?
Old 2 Jul 2009, 05:14 (Ref:2494843)   #172
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Its a sad turn of events to see that an old car will be brought forward...
Old 2 Jul 2009, 10:32 (Ref:2494953)   #173
cdsvg
Racer

Australia
cdsvg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
||||---++++++--||||
||||=={{{{{{{==||||
||||--{{{{{{{---||||
||||--{{{{{{{---||||
||||--{{{{{{{---||||
||||<<{{{{{{{>>||||
||||<<\vvvvv/>>||||
||||---\vvvvv/---||||
||||---\vvvvv/---||||
||||---\xxxxx/----||||
||||---\xxxxx/----||||
||||===\xxx/====||||
||||%%%\/%%%||||
So the idea would be to have three 'hulls', one each covering the left/right wheels, and one in the center housing the driver and drivetrain - with as little structure as possible in the two channels in between? Interesting, but what about cooling? I guess that channel area on conventional cars is normally used for the radiators.
Old 2 Jul 2009, 11:15 (Ref:2494970)   #174
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
so if there is a P1 Panoz run by PTG next year I guess that is the end of the GT2?
Is that the latest rumour ?
Old 2 Jul 2009, 15:18 (Ref:2495077)   #175
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
||||---++++++--||||
||||=={{{{{{{==||||
||||--{{{{{{{---||||
||||--{{{{{{{---||||
||||--{{{{{{{---||||
||||<<{{{{{{{>>||||
||||<<\vvvvv/>>||||
||||---\vvvvv/---||||
||||---\vvvvv/---||||
||||---\xxxxx/----||||
||||---\xxxxx/----||||
||||===\xxx/====||||
||||%%%\/%%%||||

xxx Transmission
vvv Engine
You want the transmission before the engine!?. How would you make that work with rear wheel drive.
Besides, with all that empty space, where would you generate downforce for the front?.
But like i wrote earlier, there really isn't any space for the air to run thru sufficiently, look at how little room Audi was able to make around the rear wheels on the R15.