Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 27 Jun 2013, 18:27 (Ref:3270737)   #151
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
In the biggest shock in motorsport for some time it was announced today that several F1 journalists had got a story completely wrong.

Reports are now coming in of minor injuries in the F1 press room as colleagues are being repeatedly struck by toys being thrown from a number of baby carriages as Mark Webber confirmed what everyone apart from the ‘most respected voices in Formula One’ had already been saying for ages, that he’ll be leaving the FIA WEC’s feeder series to join the big show from 2014.

Mark Webber’s PR representative has reportedly been expelled from an until now undisclosed secret society “The Gravy Train” for failing to disclose the story “exclusively” to all of its members at the same time.

Webber, one of the most popular drivers in the F1 paddock (shouldn’t that read the only popular driver in the F1 paddock? Ed) is looking forward to changing his career completely from Formula One driver to Racing Driver.

In many ways this will involve Mark taking a major step back in his career though he is expected to rapidly re-learn the skills of overtaking, spontaneous smiling and driving for more than three laps without pitting for tyres, reasonably quickly.

Sebastien Vettel’s response is expected to be an excitable bound onto the orange box he keeps with him at all times to practice podium celebrations before getting cross when he realises that Webber’s replacement is likely to be someone whose career prospects will be transformed by the simple process of driving one of the three cars on the grid capable of winning a race (Four if you count anything Alonso is driving).

From DailySportscar
Old 27 Jun 2013, 18:51 (Ref:3270747)   #152
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Free chips in sportscar racing too.

Great news BTW!
Old 27 Jun 2013, 19:09 (Ref:3270760)   #153
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great news. I like Mark, a no-nosense man in the F1 circus.
Old 27 Jun 2013, 21:18 (Ref:3270891)   #154
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breitling24 View Post
Good news, even though it was being denied by the main principals a few months ago.
In fact last time only a week ago (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/108151). Typical.
Old 27 Jun 2013, 21:53 (Ref:3270907)   #155
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Webber was conveniently present at the British GP's thursday press conference (mostly repeating what was already in the markwebber.com Q&A):
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlin...3/6/14709.html

Announcement was a surprise to Horner:
http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/...ursday-morning

Dietrich Mateschitz then again knew:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/108324

Last edited by deggis; 27 Jun 2013 at 22:12.
Old 28 Jun 2013, 02:36 (Ref:3271006)   #156
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Mateschitz is a fan of Webber and he will continue to carry Red Bull backing for a few years yet.

Some people are already pointing to Red Bull backing Porsches LMP1 effort but it wont be a major livery, Porsche just like Audi and Toyota would rather their brand name be prominent on their cars and no one else.
Old 28 Jun 2013, 03:05 (Ref:3271019)   #157
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Porsche just like Audi and Toyota would rather their brand name be prominent on their cars and no one else.
I'm very reluctant to believe in this. It probably tells more about the interest of WEC from title/major sponsorship point of view, and that simply no one has offered Audi or Toyota large enough bag of money vs. this use of their own subbrands (they aren't really that prominently and there aren't that many of them in the car anyway). I don't understand what kind of manufacturer by default would spend their own money if they can spend someone's money.

And indeed, Peugeot didn't, Total title sponsorship was quite considerable (20M eur from the total 75M budget in 2011).
Old 28 Jun 2013, 04:05 (Ref:3271027)   #158
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Certainly it's not unheard of that factory teams take significant sponsorship, but it is also true that the factory efforts we've seen over the last decade or more have not had liveries driven by sponsors save the P2 cars in the ALMS. BMW, Audi, Peugeot and Toyota - and even the last Porsches - have sometimes carried logos of sponsors who were not also suppliers (or ones who were) but they've tended towards corporate identity first and foremost.

I agree that they want to spend other people's money, but they're interested in selling their cars, not other people's. Look at the true factory teams in F1 over the same period and again branding has been manufacturer first, sponsor second.
Old 28 Jun 2013, 07:19 (Ref:3271046)   #159
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I seem to remember the factory Porsche cars always carried significant sponsorship branding, much more so than say Audi & Toyota are today.

In Group C they were either totally Rothmans or Shell branded, then Martini and DHL in later years. I imagine Red Bull will be just as prominent.
Old 28 Jun 2013, 07:23 (Ref:3271047)   #160
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not really surprising, as Porsche was always a smaller company with restrictive budgets. That's why it was always so important for them to make a "business" out of their racing programs.
Old 28 Jun 2013, 09:56 (Ref:3271118)   #161
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk View Post
I agree that they want to spend other people's money, but they're interested in selling their cars, not other people's. Look at the true factory teams in F1 over the same period and again branding has been manufacturer first, sponsor second.
Not sure what you mean, as most of them have (had) title or major sponsorship but usually mixed with the corporate colors (e.g. Mercedes/Petronas, Toyota/Panasonic, Renault/ING). Shouldn't this just prove you can have both (major sponsor and own corporate colors/identity) at the same time.

Also Peugeot ended up being mostly black, albeit that's not Total's color (I guess "Total" being in the official team name more than compensated then).
Old 28 Jun 2013, 12:01 (Ref:3271174)   #162
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Really slow site right now, so copy-pasted:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FstrthnU View Post
From DailySportscar
I thought you couldn't copy paste articles on this forum. Copyright infringement is what I was told?? Resulting in your post being deleted, and an infraction.
Old 28 Jun 2013, 12:03 (Ref:3271175)   #163
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't think Graham will be that upset at having his amusing piece reproduced here - but if he was (as he is a member here), he would no doubt ask for it to be removed. In any event, issues of moderation are for the moderators......
Old 28 Jun 2013, 12:29 (Ref:3271188)   #164
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post
I thought you couldn't copy paste articles on this forum. Copyright infringement is what I was told?? Resulting in your post being deleted, and an infraction.
Rarely seen a post being removed and I post a lot of excerpt from articles (always giving the source link). But what I posted now was a press release by Porsche, not an article. Technically copyrighted but there is no disclaimer in the and by nature press releases are intended to be reproduced.
Old 28 Jun 2013, 13:03 (Ref:3271210)   #165
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I don't think Graham will be that upset at having his amusing piece reproduced here - but if he was (as he is a member here), he would no doubt ask for it to be removed. In any event, issues of moderation are for the moderators......
Graham posted that articles on Facebook as well so it wont be an issue
Old 28 Jun 2013, 13:04 (Ref:3271211)   #166
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Webber was conveniently present at the British GP's thursday press conference (mostly repeating what was already in the markwebber.com Q&A):
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlin...3/6/14709.html

Announcement was a surprise to Horner:
http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/...ursday-morning

Dietrich Mateschitz then again knew:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/108324
I love it how the word "retirement" is being used here. He's not leaving motorsport, just changing disciplines... ¬_¬'

As for Mateschitz, I would not be surprised if he decides to try a sponsor the Porsche LMP1 effort if he and Webber get on. I think it was Helmut Marko who Webber did not get on with.

Last edited by I Rosputnik; 28 Jun 2013 at 13:10.
Old 28 Jun 2013, 13:23 (Ref:3271214)   #167
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Rosputnik View Post
I love it how the word "retirement" is being used here. He's not leaving motorsport, just changing disciplines... ¬_¬'
But it just typifies how some people view F1 as the be-all and end-all of motorsport, when it's clearly not the case - and a lot of people, MW obviously included, have already woken up to that fact......
Old 28 Jun 2013, 15:32 (Ref:3271256)   #168
porman
Veteran

porman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
But it just typifies how some people view F1 as the be-all and end-all of motorsport, when it's clearly not the case - and a lot of people, MW obviously included, have already woken up to that fact......
What is this heresy you speak!
Let me enlighten you on how F1 is indeed the only form of Motorsport that is of importance.

It has always amazed me that people prefer F1 over our beloved racing let alone think that it's actually better. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, even if they are wrong.

At least some of us know the truth.

Old 30 Jun 2013, 09:41 (Ref:3271820)   #169
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There aren't many current F1 drivers who have the right talent mix for endurance racing. But Webber is one of them and I can see huge success for him and Porsche. It's the right move at the right time. He's gonna need a bigger trophy cabinet.
Old 30 Jun 2013, 13:50 (Ref:3271895)   #170
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Judging from today's British GP, Mark still has a lot of fire in his belly. Porsche has made a good choice. Mark has made an excellent one too.
Old 30 Jun 2013, 15:33 (Ref:3271931)   #171
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think we'll see a rejuvenated Webber for the rest of the season. No pressure, no contract worries.
Old 30 Jun 2013, 16:15 (Ref:3271944)   #172
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
I think we'll see a rejuvenated Webber for the rest of the season. No pressure, no contract worries.
What did he say after that last safety car? 'Gonna happen, mate!'
Old 30 Jun 2013, 16:54 (Ref:3271962)   #173
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
Judging from today's British GP, Mark still has a lot of fire in his belly. Porsche has made a good choice. Mark has made an excellent one too.
As long as WEC does not adopt standing starts
Old 30 Jun 2013, 17:38 (Ref:3271985)   #174
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
And is it right that Vettel is signing for Krohn Racing......?

Naa , that's a wrong rumour ..... he has signed for a Tiga/Ferrari P2 with Newton-Erdos .....
Old 30 Jun 2013, 19:12 (Ref:3272058)   #175
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Good move! Great gearboxes.......

Tags
formula 1, le mans, webber