Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 20 May 2014, 21:26 (Ref:3408409)   #151
Alessio
Racer

Italy
London
Alessio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Egor Orudzhev will drive for Carlin in the car Alice Powell drove in Rockingham.
Old 21 May 2014, 14:33 (Ref:3408690)   #152
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Sorry for arriving at the party late, but I just settled down to watch the opening round of F3 which I had recorded off TV. Oh my my word. I'm shocked - 7 cars. Usually F3 is one of the hilights of the british calender along with BTCC. What a shame. Formula Ford ain't what it used to be, and now F3 is dieing too.
Old 22 May 2014, 01:20 (Ref:3408844)   #153
wsrgo94
Rookie

India
Calcutta
wsrgo94 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Formula Ford ain't what it used to be
You mean with wings and stuff?
Old 22 May 2014, 09:08 (Ref:3408917)   #154
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsrgo94 View Post
You mean with wings and stuff?
I think he means the pervasiveness/popularity/competitiveness rather than the addition of wings.
Old 22 May 2014, 13:08 (Ref:3408983)   #155
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
Veggie

Formula Ford or 4?...Some seek the comfort of loved ones. And some try to keep away the gloom by painting things bright.

Perhaps it is time for FOTA/SRO to bring the old chaps back, starting from Performance and T-Sport.
Old 22 May 2014, 13:13 (Ref:3408985)   #156
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
Perhaps it is time for FOTA/SRO to bring the old chaps back, starting from Performance and T-Sport.
Maybe I'm developing dyslexia but every time I read the title of this thread I keep seeing 'Silly 2014 British F3 Season'. The whole thing's a farce and should be stopped now.
Old 22 May 2014, 13:19 (Ref:3408988)   #157
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
Are you suggesting to cancel the series after one event? So it seems to be.
Old 22 May 2014, 13:26 (Ref:3408993)   #158
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Are you suggesting to cancel the series after one event? So it seems to be.
No, I'm suggesting that it's championship status be withdrawn. What we have this year is not worthy of the title 'British F3 Championship'.
Old 23 May 2014, 09:05 (Ref:3409294)   #159
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
Can you specify why? Is it cause there are 50% chances of being a Chinese to win the British crown?
Old 23 May 2014, 13:07 (Ref:3409382)   #160
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Can you specify why? Is it cause there are 50% chances of being a Chinese to win the British crown?
I think it's fairly obvious why... and it's nothing to do with nationality of the competitors.
Old 23 May 2014, 17:15 (Ref:3409490)   #161
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
The five regulars and this week's two one-offers covered by 10 seconds in qualifying. Sounds like some thrilling racing in store around the 5+ km track!
Old 23 May 2014, 18:33 (Ref:3409509)   #162
wsrgo94
Rookie

India
Calcutta
wsrgo94 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
The five regulars and this week's two one-offers covered by 10 seconds in qualifying. Sounds like some thrilling racing in store around the 5+ km track!
Well, British weather. These things happen.
Old 24 May 2014, 16:23 (Ref:3409878)   #163
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Only 3 cars finished race 2 at Silverstone.
Old 24 May 2014, 16:39 (Ref:3409884)   #164
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
Only 3 cars finished race 2 at Silverstone.
It's not inconceivable that there'll be a 'race' with no finishers ! Shame on the MSA for allowing this farce to carry on.
Old 25 May 2014, 10:50 (Ref:3410219)   #165
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
Veggie

davyboy, when the when the going gets tough, the tough get going. But now that you have a Chinese leading far in front of the quickest Brit I wouldn't be surprise MSA would pull the plug.
Old 26 May 2014, 16:10 (Ref:3410927)   #166
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Sorry, but stop it now. This is not British F3 and is an insult to the former champions that the winner of this farce will be acclaimed as the BF3 Champion!

As davyboy says where are the MSA, I thought they were supposed to be clamping down on series that had virtually no cars on the grid?
Old 26 May 2014, 16:42 (Ref:3410946)   #167
Alessio
Racer

Italy
London
They can't stop it now, it's too late. Drivers have organised their funding and paid etc.

Way too late now. I reckon they'll wait until the winter off-season and see the interest in the championship before SRO decide whether to close up the BF3 or keep it going.

Incredible that of all the F3 series, British is somehow doing the worst.
Old 26 May 2014, 17:31 (Ref:3410962)   #168
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessio View Post
They can't stop it now, it's too late. Drivers have organised their funding and paid etc.
They can stop it any time they want. The MSA has cancelled series in a similar predicament to this in the past - c.f. British F2 and Formula Renault.
Old 26 May 2014, 18:55 (Ref:3410992)   #169
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
They can stop it any time they want. The MSA has cancelled series in a similar predicament to this in the past - c.f. British F2 and Formula Renault.
From memory British F3000 and Formula Renault UK (in addition to a host of club championships that were canned mid season) were cancelled by the organising club as opposed to the MSA. Although the MSA sets minimum grid sizes for the retention of championship permits there are exceptions to this for competitions that are of significance (e.g. history, international recognition or local status). This meant that in the early 2000s, the BTCC retained its championship status.
Old 26 May 2014, 19:45 (Ref:3411007)   #170
Alessio
Racer

Italy
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Budgets are quite a bit higher in British F3.
Old 26 May 2014, 19:56 (Ref:3411009)   #171
BtccLee
Veteran

BtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Sorry, but stop it now. This is not British F3 and is an insult to the former champions that the winner of this farce will be acclaimed as the BF3 Champion!

As davyboy says where are the MSA, I thought they were supposed to be clamping down on series that had virtually no cars on the grid?
I never remember the MSA saying anything about grid sizes although, A:I probably missed it and B: It would be logical. Does that count for just MSA backed championships like Brit F3 or other series like the Porsche Carrera Cup of Great Britian?
Old 27 May 2014, 07:29 (Ref:3411168)   #172
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BtccLee View Post
I never remember the MSA saying anything about grid sizes although, A:I probably missed it and B: It would be logical. Does that count for just MSA backed championships like Brit F3 or other series like the Porsche Carrera Cup of Great Britian?
I believe that originally the MSA set a minimum grid size of 18 cars for championship status to be maintained, but as mentioned above with the usual caveats, I'm sure the MSA don't fancy tapping on Porsche or Renault's door and canning their championships...

Similarly for BF3, no doubt the heritage of the championship allows it to continue, although this is the very thing that is damaged by the current situation.
Old 27 May 2014, 17:22 (Ref:3411400)   #173
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
I'm sure the MSA don't fancy tapping on Porsche or Renault's door and canning their championships...
To be fair, the MSA did issue the SEAT Cupra Championship with a 'yellow card' (i.e. a last warning with regards to the lack of cars); so the MSA has some degree of previous in taking action against more high profile championships. However, as the SEATs were canned fairly soon after (by the organiser), it is open to conjecture as to how far the MSA would have pursued this one.
Old 3 Jun 2014, 18:50 (Ref:3414894)   #174
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To be honest, I'm hoping that with the economy slowly finding its feet and the reintroduction of a British-based FR2.0-or-equivalent series (in BRDC F4) with a good grid, we can get a grid of 10+ cars for the 2015 opener. Just look at how many FR UK drivers entered British F3. As soon as that series was canned, the shock would be felt at the next highest tier after 2 seasons - 2013 - which is when it was. Given that 2 seasons is the minimum, expect the grids to slowly grow, even if the series is unimportant on a global scale.
Old 18 Jun 2014, 19:46 (Ref:3423550)   #175
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sam MacLeod will return for Snetterton, and Motopark will run their 3 German F3 drivers at Spa.

Couple that with Tincknell and Lynn's Thruxton cameos and maybe there is a future, but it relies largely on talented drivers making one-offs...