Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 26 Sep 2013, 05:29 (Ref:3309462)   #151
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic Z View Post
I thought the exact opposite! The WEC looked pretty amateur, IMO. It probably had something to do with the cars hitting the orange pyramids so often!
Not really a big fan of the WEC streaming, either, but it's nice to have it.
I don't have cable, so I'm not sure about the ALMS ESPN2 broadcast, but the ESPN3 broadcast was pretty good, almost completely focused on the epic GT battle!
How many cars hit the orange pyramids in the whole 6 hours? It was far from "so many".

Seems like this turned into an alms vs. wec thread. The GTE cars were slower in ALMS. Maybe from the difference in the timing line? Same with Rebellion being a good deal faster than Pickett.
Old 26 Sep 2013, 16:10 (Ref:3309652)   #152
nkoske
Racer

United States
Bay Area, CA
nkoske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I went to the race. First time to Austin and have to say it is a pretty cool town. We definitely got lucky with the weather (excluding the deluge on Friday). Humidity was manageable for this wimpy Californian. Saw the bats, walked down 6th, visited the capitol building, ate some great food (The Salt Lick is SOLID, anywhere you can saddle up to a table with booze you brought from home in a winner in my book), etc...

The track is cool, good amount of elevation change and cool spots to watch from. Like all of the other F1 tracks I've been to, taking photos is challenging with all of the catch fencing. At least there weren't militant ushers and such not allowing people to stand on the bridge and take photos and the grandstands were open to all so you could get high enough to get over the fence. It was pretty impressive to stand on the bridge over the esses and watch the speed the prototypes through that area.

The race was a good one and the fans seemed to be into it. Lots of cheering during the GT battle at the end. Sure wish Dyson and Rebellion hadn't given up the season to MM.

Decent crowd on Sat. Hopefully next year for the race is not on the same weekend as a UT home game. I'd say 2/3 of the weekend crowd was there on Sat. visibly less people on Sun for the WEC race. Had to sit in some minor traffic Sat. going back to Austin. There was zero traffic on Sun. If you're a one day casual motorsports fan Sat. was the day to go, as you got to see all of the cars. 6 hour races are tough for people to get. To me a 6 hour race during the day on a Sunday doesn't make a ton of sense. Put it on a Sat and go into the dark, make a spectacle of it. In my opinion all endurance races (4, 6, 10, 12, 24) should go until it's dark.

Will I go back to Austin? Maybe some day, but I have Road America, Road Atlanta and Sebring still to check off the ole list.
Old 26 Sep 2013, 17:20 (Ref:3309684)   #153
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
How many cars hit the orange pyramids in the whole 6 hours? It was far from "so many".
Fair enough, there was three on the broadcast. I'm wondering if perhaps the 98 Aston hit one as well, but that's just speculation.

Quote:
Seems like this turned into an alms vs. wec thread. The GTE cars were slower in ALMS. Maybe from the difference in the timing line? Same with Rebellion being a good deal faster than Pickett.
That wasn't my intent, sorry if it was taken that way.

As for the speed differential, I'm guessing that if all the GT cars were a on track at the same time, speeds would probably be about the same, because in the test sessions, I believe the ALMS cars were a bit quicker. More rubber on track and cooler track temperatures may be the speed differential in the two races.
Old 26 Sep 2013, 20:00 (Ref:3309755)   #154
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
According to some on twitter, the timing lines were different. But not sure how that would make the variations. The best wec GTE car was in the 2:04.2's. The best alms GTE was a 2:05.0
Old 26 Sep 2013, 21:25 (Ref:3309798)   #155
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
According to some on twitter, the timing lines were different. But not sure how that would make the variations. The best wec GTE car was in the 2:04.2's. The best alms GTE was a 2:05.0
Didn't the Risi Ferrari set a 2:04.1 during one of the practice sessions?
Old 26 Sep 2013, 23:22 (Ref:3309831)   #156
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Times for the weekend in all classes are pretty meaningless since the conditions change so much from hour to hour and day to day.
Old 27 Sep 2013, 01:39 (Ref:3309852)   #157
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRspitfirefan View Post
Didn't the Risi Ferrari set a 2:04.1 during one of the practice sessions?
I believe that was in morning warm up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb
Times for the weekend in all classes are pretty meaningless since the conditions change so much from hour to hour and day to day.
Pretty much sums it up.
Old 27 Sep 2013, 02:48 (Ref:3309869)   #158
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
ALMS teams in GTE still running the older generation Michelin tires? I know that the LMP2 teams got the WEC-spec hard compound tires for the first time that weekend.
Old 27 Sep 2013, 03:12 (Ref:3309876)   #159
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I don't believe it was a huge difference. According to the alms saturday pit notes, the track was 105º F and air was 85º F at the start of the race. Then compare the WEC temps were 104º F in the 2nd part of the race.
Old 27 Sep 2013, 04:06 (Ref:3309883)   #160
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Do you really believe that both series are running under the same BoP?
As well as the track conditions, and weather differences.

L.P.
Old 27 Sep 2013, 04:21 (Ref:3309885)   #161
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
The question is why were ALMS GTE cars slower than the WEC GTE cars. BOP is slightly different between the two series, and, as far as I know, ALMS GT teams are still running the 2012 spec Michelin tires, while the WEC GTE teams have the newest generation tires from Michelin. I believe, if that's the case, that tires are probably the biggest difference. Track conditions were very similar on both days.

Series specific BOP, and especially series specific tires are probably the bigger difference makers.
Old 27 Sep 2013, 17:29 (Ref:3310149)   #162
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
The question is why were ALMS GTE cars slower than the WEC GTE cars. BOP is slightly different between the two series, and, as far as I know, ALMS GT teams are still running the 2012 spec Michelin tires, while the WEC GTE teams have the newest generation tires from Michelin. I believe, if that's the case, that tires are probably the biggest difference. Track conditions were very similar on both days.

Series specific BOP, and especially series specific tires are probably the bigger difference makers.
Like was said above, I'm pretty sure Risi ran a 2:04.1 in ALMS warm up on Saturday. I have no idea where to find this info, but I'm pretty certain I saw it on Timing and Scoring.
Old 27 Sep 2013, 21:47 (Ref:3310236)   #163
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
Do you really believe that both series are running under the same BoP?
As well as the track conditions, and weather differences.

L.P.
Dont know where I "same bop". But usually the GTE cars in both series are very close. I already said the track temps were only 1º difference. You can find that information on their websites. I'm questioning the timing lines that was mentionedm
Old 27 Sep 2013, 22:21 (Ref:3310245)   #164
Ginaro Zukovsky
Racer

Ginaro Zukovsky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ALMS http://www.imsaracing.net/2013/alms/...IN%2013-26.pdf
WEC http://www.fia.com/sites/default/fil...BOP-190713.pdf

Make of it what you will...