Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 14 Oct 2013, 09:31 (Ref:3317630)   #151
kimbo
Rookie

England
West Sussex
kimbo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l View Post
I am disappointed at the speed of the marshals response to the Neal incident. The standard of marshals has declined in recent years but everybody is too scared to criticise them.

The MSA and marshals clubs need to look at the training. Experienced marshals are leaving in droves and there are too many inexperienced marshals on post now, partly due to the recruitment drive in recent years. There are too few experienced marshals to pass on and guide the new marshals and the training is inadequate.
The only clip I've found on t'internet has marshals on the scene with extinguishers within 12 seconds of the car coming to rest (or at least the drivers door opening, and I don't think he would've been hanging about) and the fire out within 20 seconds, so pretty slack then.

From this post and an earlier thread ( http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139418) you've obviously got an axe to grind, so why not come out with it? Or are you Steve Neal??

As you will have gathered I'm a marshal, and proud of the work we do. Obviously it's important that if & when mistakes are made that we learn from them and in every case that I can personally vouch for, there would be a thorough debrief on post, pointing out where any improvements could have been made.
Yes, there are inexperienced marshals, some more (like me) with 4 or 5 years and many more with 10 years plus, but we've all got to start somewhere, and unless you know of a shedload of 10 year marshals we can parachute in whenever we need them, thats how its going to stay.
Perhaps we should be asking WHY all these experienced people are 'leaving in droves'.
Back on thread, well done to Andrew Jordan, mr consistancy (and possibly the only Honda not to have caught fire this year).
Kim

Oh and this was us yesterday
Old 14 Oct 2013, 10:54 (Ref:3317665)   #152
adstubbs
Racer

United Kingdom
Glamorous Hemel Hempstead
adstubbs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marshal response looked OK to me, not helped by Neal being overly keen to raise the bonnet. Fire + sudden influx of air = bigger fire. That's why we're told not to fling open the bonnet, but to lift it slightly in order to get an extinguisher hose in there. More worryingly, how many fires have Dynamics had in the last two seasons?
Old 14 Oct 2013, 10:58 (Ref:3317668)   #153
psq43
Veteran

psq43 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just watched the footage on spewtube and it actually went whoosh good and proper as he went for the second bonnet clip so suspect there were other things going on under the hood rather than the sudden influx of air.

All rather dramatic really, Gows scriptwriter excelled themselves this year.
Old 14 Oct 2013, 11:36 (Ref:3317689)   #154
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thoroughly deserved by Andrew Jordan and many congrats to him. Superb drive by Goff.
Old 14 Oct 2013, 12:13 (Ref:3317703)   #155
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
The foam extinguisher marshall did a good job. The water extinguisher marshall just stood there looking confused, like he did not know what to do with the big red thing in his hands whilst the Honda burned away. Hence the criticism (that was take on it at the time, although I have not watched it back)
Old 14 Oct 2013, 12:19 (Ref:3317710)   #156
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Criticise the marshalls at your peril. I think they do a marvellous job.
Old 14 Oct 2013, 12:51 (Ref:3317734)   #157
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
The foam extinguisher marshall did a good job. The water extinguisher marshall just stood there looking confused, like he did not know what to do with the big red thing in his hands whilst the Honda burned away. Hence the criticism (that was take on it at the time, although I have not watched it back)
That was a powder extinguisher - water is not used at any trackside incident.

It looked to me like the thing simply wouldn't fire. It happens, despite checks indicating that everything is fine. And when Neal tried to take it himself, the body language between the two was definitely of the "oh cack" type rather than "do you know what you're doing?".
Old 14 Oct 2013, 12:52 (Ref:3317736)   #158
Andrew Abbott
Racer

England
Shrewsbury
Andrew Abbott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
but both Honda drivers have expired contracts now but I wouldn't be surprised if they get both again, Shedden would be utter fool to leave voluntary

I somehow can't see Newsham staying with Speedworks, it seems like his talent is wasted there , he actually achieve far less than he did with ES Racing
Neal said that he already has a deal in place for 2014 - http://www.touringcars.net/2013/10/n...h-the-swallows

Also, from speaking to Newsham at the weekend, he is hoping to stay at Speedworks.
Old 14 Oct 2013, 17:23 (Ref:3317814)   #159
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If HARD survive the off-season and get some good development works on those Insignias, Goff could be a winner. The rain is a great leveller, and that, coupled with Silverstone's boost issues, probably made the Insignia look better than it really is.
Old 14 Oct 2013, 17:27 (Ref:3317818)   #160
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndySpeed View Post
Neal said that he already has a deal in place for 2014 - http://www.touringcars.net/2013/10/n...h-the-swallows

Also, from speaking to Newsham at the weekend, he is hoping to stay at Speedworks.
And from that interview, I presume it means two Civics available for someone who wants to emulate the Jordans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
If HARD survive the off-season and get some good development works on those Insignias, Goff could be a winner. The rain is a great leveller, and that, coupled with Silverstone's boost issues, probably made the Insignia look better than it really is.
The cars will be back, whether it's HARD or not is another matter. As we all know, it's owned lock stock and barrel by Warren Scott now.
Old 14 Oct 2013, 17:51 (Ref:3317825)   #161
TimRTC
Racer

TimRTC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
True but the gap he pulled on the Airwaves cars was real and the fact he held onto Shedden for so long without punting him off is real skill. Hopefully along with Tordoff a new generation of BTCC drivers who can overtake without impact.
Old 14 Oct 2013, 18:10 (Ref:3317836)   #162
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimRTC View Post
True but the gap he pulled on the Airwaves cars was real and the fact he held onto Shedden for so long without punting him off is real skill. Hopefully along with Tordoff a new generation of BTCC drivers who can overtake without impact.
Perhaps you could argue that somebody with a slightly larger budget could have stuck the nose inside at some point?
Old 14 Oct 2013, 18:28 (Ref:3317845)   #163
simmo151
Rookie

England
Cheltenham
simmo151 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
And from that interview, I presume it means two Civics available for someone who wants to emulate the Jordans.

The cars will be back, whether it's HARD or not is another matter. As we all know, it's owned lock stock and barrel by Warren Scott now.
When did Warren Scott buy out HARD, must have missed that some how. I knew he moved to drive a passat, but didnt realise it went further.
Old 14 Oct 2013, 18:42 (Ref:3317852)   #164
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndySpeed View Post

New car? Does that simply mean fresh builds of the Civic or is it actually a "brand new" car?
Old 14 Oct 2013, 19:02 (Ref:3317861)   #165
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
New car? Does that simply mean fresh builds of the Civic or is it actually a "brand new" car?
the KIA roumor perhaps
Old 14 Oct 2013, 19:24 (Ref:3317865)   #166
Jiiiiiiim
Veteran

England
Devon
Jiiiiiiim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
the KIA roumor perhaps

New Civic's, that is All!

Last edited by Jiiiiiiim; 14 Oct 2013 at 19:25. Reason: Typo
Old 14 Oct 2013, 19:51 (Ref:3317873)   #167
BtccLee
Veteran

BtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiiiiiiim View Post

New Civic's, that is All!
Exactly. Although there is a rumour that suggests it may not just be the same size of Civic...
Old 14 Oct 2013, 21:08 (Ref:3317925)   #168
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmo151 View Post
When did Warren Scott buy out HARD, must have missed that some how. I knew he moved to drive a passat, but didnt realise it went further.
It was reported in Motorsport News before Silverstone that he'd bought the whole BTCC team and would be relocating, but with Tony Gilham still in charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I'd assume they're going to build new cars which are even better, with the knowledge of the car from the past two seasons. A better one than Eurotech as well, need to beat them somehow!
Old 14 Oct 2013, 21:49 (Ref:3317941)   #169
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Yea, I heard the rumor of the Civic estate too.
Old 17 Oct 2013, 18:51 (Ref:3319099)   #170
simmo151
Rookie

England
Cheltenham
simmo151 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
It was reported in Motorsport News before Silverstone that he'd bought the whole BTCC team and would be relocating, but with Tony Gilham still in charge.
Thanks Craners I rarely see Motorsport News around where i live, which sucks!