Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 8 May 2014, 15:15 (Ref:3403793)   #151
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
This weekend it's the Rally Argentina.

The WRC has 40 entries:

o- 11 WRC - Ogier, Latvala, Mikkelsen (VW); Meeke, Ostberg (Citroën); Hirvonen, Evans, Kubica, Prokop (Ford); Neuville, Sordo (Hyundai).
o- 19 WRC-2 - Protasov, Ketomaa, Al-Attiyah, Fuchs, Bertelli, Rendina, etc.
o- 10 WRC-3 - Argentine and Chilean racers only.

The Argentine / Codasur has 75 entries, featuing 19 Maxi Rally:

o- Ford: Federico Villagra (1st in 2013 Argentine championship), Claudio Menzi (3rd), Gerónimo Padilla (4th), Nicolás D*az (8th), Lucio Álvarez (5th in 2012 Dakar), Raúl Mart*nez.
o- Chevrolet: Marcos Ligato (2nd in 2013), Claudio López, David Nalbandian (ex ATP!).
o- Peugeot: Alejandro Cancio (5th), Miguel Baldoni (9th), Daniel Oliveira, Luciano Preto.
o- VW: Alejandro Menéndez, Rubén Machado, Augusto D'Agostini, Alexandre FIgueredo.
o- Citroën: Fernando Scarlatta.
o- Fiat: Luciano Bonomi.
Old 9 May 2014, 08:33 (Ref:3404033)   #152
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I saw some bits and pieces from the shakedown - looks like times were pretty close (no indicator of true pace I know but it's hopeful for a good fight). I have to admit I like rally Argentina - some very good stages and cracking scenery.
Old 10 May 2014, 17:11 (Ref:3404587)   #153
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Standings after stage 7:

1. Jari-Matti Latvala (Volkswagen)
2. Sebastien Ogier (Volkswagen) + 21.2
3. Kris Meeke (Citroën) + 2'29.9
4. Andreas Mikkelsen (Volkswagen) + 5'20.8
5. Robert Kubica (Ford) + 5'26.8
6. Elfyn Evans (Ford) + 5'43.3
7. Martin Prokop (Ford) + 6'01.5
8. Thierry Neuville (Hyundai) + 6'08.9
9. Nasser Al-Attiyah (Ford) + 10'28.1
10. Diego Dominguez (Skoda) + 16'14.9
Old 13 May 2014, 09:21 (Ref:3405769)   #154
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brilliant drive by Jari Matti and Miika Antilla, even Jari's interviews were a joy to listen to. He doesn't hide anything does he? I guess Ogier is heading back to the factory to have his chip reset!

Where on earth did Mikkelsen and Hirvonen find their post-crash speed from? Great to see Meeke keep it on the road, likewise Kubica!
Old 13 May 2014, 09:38 (Ref:3405775)   #155
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg7aa View Post
Where on earth did Mikkelsen and Hirvonen find their post-crash speed from? Great to see Meeke keep it on the road, likewise Kubica!
Yeah, Meeke needed a finish, on the podium was a nice way to do it!
Old 13 May 2014, 14:12 (Ref:3405878)   #156
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Championship standings after 5 races:

1. Sébastien Ogier (Volkswagen), 112
2. Jari-Matti Latvala (Volkswagen), 88
3. Andreas Mikkelsen (Volkswagen), 48
4. Mads Østberg (Citroën), 48
5. Mikko Hirvonen (M-Sport Ford), 40
6. Kris Meeke (Citroën), 32
7. Thierry Neuville (Hyundai), 31
8. Elfyn Evans (M-Sport Ford), 26
9. Martin Prokop (Czech Ford), 22
13. Robert Kubica (RK Ford), 8
Old 13 May 2014, 15:35 (Ref:3405892)   #157
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
That shows what a huge advantage VW have doesn't it? Slim pickings for everyone else really.
Old 13 May 2014, 22:39 (Ref:3406045)   #158
Alex Langheck
Racer

Alex Langheck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And how long do VW hang around for? They look capable of winning every round.
Old 15 May 2014, 15:12 (Ref:3406655)   #159
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Its a damn shame

But I am not complaining too much. the boredam and predictablity surrounding the last 10 or so years of WRC is rallycross's gain.

Adn thankfully the poeple behind world rallycross are realising what Solberg found out a couple of yeras ago, there is an alternative.
Old 22 May 2014, 09:34 (Ref:3408929)   #160
Alex Langheck
Racer

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114036

I fear more of the same - boring Euro-boxes. They really need cars with that' X Factor'..... but the current Manufacturers will hold sway.
Old 22 May 2014, 12:12 (Ref:3408970)   #161
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Noticed a few days ago on Autosport that some of the drivers have been commenting on their lack of enthusiasm for this last day shoot out idea. Reading between the lines it sounds like there may be a bit of discord between what the organisers want and the drivers views. Mika H is wanting the drivers to have more say and that they have ideas of their own. Ogier has also been grumbling about the lack of media coverage.

As regards Euro Boxes, well that just seems to be what the FIA wants in any form of Production based motorsport. They could 'Pimp' them up a bit more though! Much as the WTCC bores me to death they seem to be allowing them to make a bit more of an effort as regards the looks of the cars. Hopefully, they can do the same in WRC. Enjoyed Rally Argentina by the way, great stages.
Old 25 May 2014, 08:55 (Ref:3410171)   #162
Alex Langheck
Racer

Sort the media coverage out - no need for gimmicks. It really is not rocket science.

In an ideal world you'd have better more spectacular cars, plus 8-10 proper WRC events; instead if 3 short loops around a service park. Even DR has almost admitted the current 'clover-leaf' isn't working.
Old 25 May 2014, 17:59 (Ref:3410459)   #163
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
the sniper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Langheck View Post
Even DR has almost admitted the current 'clover-leaf' isn't working.
I don't know if he's quite conceded that. He's spoken to Autosport recently:

Quote:
"People say: 'We lost everything because the format of rallies changed and rallies only go around in circles now with centralised servicing - it's not what it was and it was far better when it went across country.' I wonder, why has it stayed like that?" he said.

"That was an evolutionary process and people need to understand we went that way for two reasons, the first of which was safety.

"People so readily forget the days when rallying almost stopped dead and was made illegal by governments because we couldn't control the people, the crowds and the safety. We had to consolidate to make sure there were enough marshals to ensure safety.

"The second reason was because the media needed to cover events on a regular basis. We couldn't get mainstream media in because you had to be an expert map reader to get yourself around the countryside just to find out what the hell was going on.

"Since then, we have sorted the safety out and media-wise, we've got better-than-ever communications, so we could run a linear route and do things differently."
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114082

On the last paragraph, arguably you could do the old RAC again now because there are so many fewer spectators and the media don't care enough to turn out at all anymore...
Old 27 May 2014, 07:59 (Ref:3411183)   #164
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
I saw that article by DR. Interesting read. I never knew one of the reasons for shortening events was because of safety. I don't recall it being given as a reason at the time, I seem to recall a lot of PR guff about the events being shorter and more flat out now. Why not just give people the real reason, I for one would have found it easier to accept and understand. Instead I've spent the last how ever many years grumbling about it.

I think controlling the crowds could still be an issue. I seem to remember there being some problems with a stage in Wales last year because of the crowd. In the UK for example, can you imagine the traffic chaos if they tried to run the old route again. There's just so much more traffic on the roads now.

Point to point events would be interesting and it would be nice to see more of a mixture of event lengths and formats.
Old 5 Jun 2014, 07:45 (Ref:3415602)   #165
Alex Langheck
Racer

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114264

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114272

Disappointing news regarding RallyGB’s Thursday Night stages – and all because of the clueless Promoter. Making the event even more compact is NOT the way to go. And people wonder why the event and WRC stumbles from crisis to crisis….. it’s like the blind leading the blind.

As for Kris Meeke’s comments – someone in the WRC speaking common sense. Stop chasing TV, and changing the sport to suit. RedBull have their own web TV station – just what are they doing?
Old 5 Jun 2014, 12:00 (Ref:3415700)   #166
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
There seems to be more and more voices of descent coming from the drivers. That's three or four in the last month that has expressed their displeasure at various things including media and format changes. Maybe one of the genius' at Red Bull ought to listen to some of them. It increasingly looks like Red Bull Media thought they could get away with doing the bare minimum while the cash rolled in. It seems to be back firing on them some what.
Old 5 Jun 2014, 13:03 (Ref:3415723)   #167
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have not seen them do a damn thing?

There doesnt seem to be any branding, the only thing you see is actual car and team sponsorship.

They are probably quite happy VW are winning and dominating most events, but in realty the domination does little for any series. But if they are the actual runners of the series they seem to be doing absolutely nothing.

And rallycross is starting to creep up on them with better racing, quicker racing, more diverse fanbase and an opening to markets that WRC can only dream of.
Old 8 Jun 2014, 12:08 (Ref:3416885)   #168
Alex Langheck
Racer

I'm not sure what RBMH have done - apart from selling rights to PayTV, which isn't too hard. In terms of actually promoting the WRC...Nothing....Zero.

I've watched UCI World Cup MTB, Felix Baumgartner's Dive both live on RedBullTV - so I thought that's were the WRC would be.

Where are all the WRC tweets on Twitter from RedBull.... Nothing...Yet they'll tweet endlessly about the Wings for Life events. What is going on??

And now, I believe they're behind this ridiculous 'shoot out' concept.....

In the UK, the WRC has coverage on BTSport, MotorsTV & ITV4....... And people aren't happy.
WEC is live on MotorsTV, some coverage on Eurosport but no terrestrial highlights coverage, yet that's okay? Am I missing something?
Old 9 Jun 2014, 07:34 (Ref:3417352)   #169
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Langheck View Post
I'm not sure what RBMH have done - apart from selling rights to PayTV, which isn't too hard. In terms of actually promoting the WRC...Nothing....Zero.

I've watched UCI World Cup MTB, Felix Baumgartner's Dive both live on RedBullTV - so I thought that's were the WRC would be.

Where are all the WRC tweets on Twitter from RedBull.... Nothing...Yet they'll tweet endlessly about the Wings for Life events. What is going on??

And now, I believe they're behind this ridiculous 'shoot out' concept.....

In the UK, the WRC has coverage on BTSport, MotorsTV & ITV4....... And people aren't happy.
WEC is live on MotorsTV, some coverage on Eurosport but no terrestrial highlights coverage, yet that's okay? Am I missing something?

Nothing wrong with the level of TV coverage in the UK, most people will have access to at least one of those channels. The problem is nobody knows its there because as you've pointed out there's zero promotion going on.
Old 9 Jun 2014, 11:43 (Ref:3417470)   #170
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Couldn't really get into Sardinia, missed the day 1 highlights cos the 'series record' on my TV (which is the only way I know events are happening these days!) failed for some reason. Anyway, the roads looked so slow. Did nothing for me after the spectacle of Argentina.
Old 11 Jun 2014, 11:13 (Ref:3418503)   #171
Alex Langheck
Racer

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114383

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114389

So, the RallyGB route is out - all 212miles of it.....
Old 13 Jun 2014, 10:43 (Ref:3419855)   #172
Alex Langheck
Racer

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114425

Oh dear....
Old 13 Jun 2014, 12:34 (Ref:3419892)   #173
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Oh dear indeed. It's heading towards being the 'World Super Special Championship' isn't it?
Old 13 Jun 2014, 14:37 (Ref:3419938)   #174
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
Oh dear indeed. I'm very sceptical that this is a move in the right direction.
Old 13 Jun 2014, 16:56 (Ref:3419988)   #175
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
The general public will not understand this format.