Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 25 Sep 2015, 12:45 (Ref:3576949)   #151
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I think I was getting quite good at it by the end of the weekend!

I nearly rear ended a few people, those who like to thunder past then brake 200 yards early, not the best driving abilities on display, judging by the state of a few cars they'd been caught out before!
Old 25 Sep 2015, 14:30 (Ref:3576980)   #152
Will Nuthall
Racer

Will Nuthall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
So the outside assistance ruling has been dropped? Or were you really carrying a spare wheel and jack in the car
I just did as instructed by the marshals! They said I wasn't allowed outside assistance in that nobody else could cross the fence, I had to be wearing full race kit when touching the car, but that they could bring a wheel/tyre/jack/hammer. There was a camera looking directly at the car/marshals post. I'd already commandeered a jack and a hammer.
Old 25 Sep 2015, 17:05 (Ref:3577019)   #153
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Will,Don't get to excited .Terry probably forgot Gary Pearson changed a wheel on an Australian GT 40 just before Blancimont.

Alan and Vincent had no problem with that and you did precisely the same.

Terry still looking for his 2 40 lap time in a non GT 40. a much more interesting topic!
Old 25 Sep 2015, 17:08 (Ref:3577020)   #154
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Nuthall View Post
I just did as instructed by the marshals! They said I wasn't allowed outside assistance in that nobody else could cross the fence, I had to be wearing full race kit when touching the car, but that they could bring a wheel/tyre/jack/hammer. There was a camera looking directly at the car/marshals post. I'd already commandeered a jack and a hammer.
Well done Will, I could see your tyre going down from the pit wall, but hoped you'd make it round again before it went flat. Excellent effort, and a good example of why taking phone with you is a good idea! Mine did the whole race on the drivers seat, as I forgot to take it out when Iain took over. Good job he didn't need to call me!

Going back to lights, I fit a small 'recognition' lamp on the front number plate, and it really helps. I had a plan to swap this for something a bit more amusing, but worries about the aero effect knocked the idea on the head.

Here's Dave being tried out.....
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0426.JPG   IMG_0425.JPG   IMG_0423.JPG  

Old 25 Sep 2015, 17:31 (Ref:3577030)   #155
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mike, who's the novice driver?
Old 25 Sep 2015, 17:45 (Ref:3577034)   #156
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Few stats from our race-

Fuel used 138 L in 5hrs 50 mins- Our actual race length, not including green flag and slowing down laps.

Oil used 1/2 litre. The engine was untouched from last year, except for oil and filter change.

Coolant level not moved.

Tyres half worn. Right rear tyre flat next morning. Could be tube issue- again....

Pads OK but rear brakes worn enough to cause long pedal. They were, however, last year's shoes, just swapped leading to trailing and vice versa.

Without the fuel starvation problem (which didn't really slow us down, just affected refuelling time), and lights failure near end, could have finished a few places higher. But then, another problem (like puncture out on circuit) could have intervened, so not going the 'if only' route!

Old 25 Sep 2015, 17:46 (Ref:3577035)   #157
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Mike, who's the novice driver?
We were all one once....... Just kept the X as a momento!

Old 25 Sep 2015, 18:47 (Ref:3577052)   #158
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mike, have you made the same mistake as I did once, re slow punture?
Full visual check of the outside of the tyre showed nothing.Popped tyre off to check the tube, that showed a scuffing mark next to the rim.
Wheel had got hot and the dunlop rim lables had moved to form a ridge which in turn had worn into the tube.Remove all lables/stickers from the rim inner face. (Oh, and avoid Hedgehogs)
Old 25 Sep 2015, 19:51 (Ref:3577070)   #159
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Mike, have you made the same mistake as I did once, re slow punture?
Full visual check of the outside of the tyre showed nothing.Popped tyre off to check the tube, that showed a scuffing mark next to the rim.
Wheel had got hot and the dunlop rim lables had moved to form a ridge which in turn had worn into the tube.Remove all lables/stickers from the rim inner face. (Oh, and avoid Hedgehogs)
You could be right, I haven't looked yet. ZZs are tubeless, but up to now MWS haven't made tubeless wire wheels in MGB size. Annoying because they have for other cars! Finish up with heavier combo and chance of tube being scuffed by wheel or inside of tyre. Or it could of course be a puncture!

Old 25 Sep 2015, 21:57 (Ref:3577095)   #160
SamBinfield
Rookie

United Kingdom
Ludwigsburg, DE
SamBinfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
...and a good example of why taking phone with you is a good idea!...
Good job someone gave Will their phone then I had two for most of the race as Will had chucked it back to me as I left the pits in addition to the phone I already had on me, not like it is easy to get to your pockets when you are strapped in

I can only echo what others have already said, what a fantastic event at a fantastic circuit. While the little Gilbern may not have run faultlessly (brakes, lights, and other 'minor things' ) she did finish strongly. Driving at night in the rain is by far the most fun I have ever had racing a car. Passing a Cobra and a Griffith was simply the icing on the cake. Dad drove a good first stint of twice his normal race length, and Will drove and changed tyres fantastically. I have to thank him for stepping in and doing a sterling job when our third driver was unfortunately forced to pull out a few weeks before.

I am certain we will be going back next year, and maybe giving Mike and Iain more of a run for their money...as well as packing the tyre-weld and sticking plasters just in case
Old 27 Sep 2015, 18:24 (Ref:3577521)   #161
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Does everyone run on Avons? I forgot they allowed modern-ish radials, I was looking at lap times and thing they were good for a 6 hour race if on Dunlops.
Old 27 Sep 2015, 18:35 (Ref:3577527)   #162
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
https://flic.kr/p/ySA6aK

Finally found a photo of zefarelly monstering a poor TR at Spa
Old 27 Sep 2015, 18:42 (Ref:3577532)   #163
phdm
Racer

Belgium
Liège
phdm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has anyone got photos of car #118 (GROPA CMC) in the HSCC race ?
Thank you.
Old 27 Sep 2015, 19:12 (Ref:3577550)   #164
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
Does everyone run on Avons? I forgot they allowed modern-ish radials, I was looking at lap times and thing they were good for a 6 hour race if on Dunlops.
Think virtually whole field was on ZZs, Joe. Although I hate how much they weigh, and the strain that (plus fact they are radials) puts on the suspension, they last 6hrs on the majority of cars and give you more chance of staying on the black stuff when it rains! (Not if- when...)

IMO don't think the difference in lap times is that great in the dry. Maybe Spa being a long lap makes it look more.....
Old 28 Sep 2015, 08:52 (Ref:3577710)   #165
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I was looking at Gilbert times as a reference because its similarly paced to the Cortina. Iain said you were using only 6000 RPM so there would appear to be a bit more grip, probably enabling you to maintain pace in a smoother style rather than chucking it about and drifting, which is obviously not the way forward over 6 hours.

I'll admit to doing a few emergency stops over the weekend when people decided they wanted a piece of track more desperately than me. I was just about the only car out there on Dunlops.
Old 28 Sep 2015, 08:57 (Ref:3577711)   #166
Will Nuthall
Racer

Quote:
Well done Will, I could see your tyre going down from the pit wall, but hoped you'd make it round again before it went flat.
With hindsight I should have come in the lap before! But it only felt slightly strange the last couple of corners of that lap, and being 6 hours I thought if it was a bit strange for the rest of the stint it wouldn't matter so much!!

Mike - do you think if it was all dry and no safety cars (almost never going to happen!) you'd still be able to 1 fuel stop?
Old 28 Sep 2015, 09:09 (Ref:3577713)   #167
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Nuthall View Post
With hindsight I should have come in the lap before! But it only felt slightly strange the last couple of corners of that lap, and being 6 hours I thought if it was a bit strange for the rest of the stint it wouldn't matter so much!!

Mike - do you think if it was all dry and no safety cars (almost never going to happen!) you'd still be able to 1 fuel stop?
One stop? Good question. I'd give it a go, but as you say- that scenario very unlikely to happen!

I've found a pic of me negotiating the pit lane near end of race and you can see the right rear has lost pressure, so we were lucky! Probably helped by the fact it was so wet I was creeping round in order to finish the race.....
Old 28 Sep 2015, 10:59 (Ref:3577732)   #168
Will Nuthall
Racer

Quote:
One stop? Good question. I'd give it a go, but as you say- that scenario very unlikely to happen!

I've found a pic of me negotiating the pit lane near end of race and you can see the right rear has lost pressure, so we were lucky! Probably helped by the fact it was so wet I was creeping round in order to finish the race.....
I ended up rolling it off the rim at Pouhon... like you say if it was wet this might not have happened.
Old 28 Sep 2015, 15:36 (Ref:3577782)   #169
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
The cortina GT is homologated with a bootfull of tanks, over 120 litres, specifically for the 6 hour of Brands in 63. it could conceivably/legally do it with one fuel stop.
Old 29 Sep 2015, 03:55 (Ref:3577918)   #170
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will, no tongue in cheek this time.You are , I assume, running the usual mgb engine?
My B would do it on one stop using an 120 ltr alloy tank I made.Used to run an ex works tank that gave 95 ltr capacity but was not quite enough..Consumption came out around 7 mpg on 1853cc.
Makes a huge difference doing just the one-obviously.
Old 29 Sep 2015, 06:15 (Ref:3577933)   #171
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
......You are , I assume, running the usual mgb engine?
Surely the "usual MGB engine" is 2 litres?????...
Old 29 Sep 2015, 09:08 (Ref:3577956)   #172
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I thought that was a small one?

and still smaller than the average Volvo, although they seem to have fallen out of fashion.

3:20ish lap. 80mph average speed, 240 miles in 3 hours @ 7mpg needs 155 litres.

1500cc Cortina does 13 mpg. on the same pace. about 84 litres.
Old 29 Sep 2015, 12:16 (Ref:3577995)   #173
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Maybe the more pedantic would notice the mistake.However, even at around 3:10 ish laps there was more than enough to do the one stop on the tank that was fitted, after checking the original drawings the tank was 145- so mpg was obviously better than my memory.-Bye.
Old 30 Sep 2015, 09:27 (Ref:3578239)   #174
Will Nuthall
Racer

Quote:
Will, no tongue in cheek this time.You are , I assume, running the usual mgb engine?
My B would do it on one stop using an 120 ltr alloy tank I made.Used to run an ex works tank that gave 95 ltr capacity but was not quite enough..Consumption came out around 7 mpg on 1853cc.
Makes a huge difference doing just the one-obviously.
Yes usual mgb engine, since Mike used 138ltrs he could have done on 1 fill (tecnically given a 70ltr tank). We didn't have a 95ltr tank...I think 80.

ps (side note) Nick JM if you read this I did send you a pm after I saw your note about the pub (not until Friday lunch as I didn't see it before sorry)
Old 30 Sep 2015, 17:04 (Ref:3578342)   #175
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Will, are not allowed a larger tank? I was always under the impression that I was limited to 120 ltrs.Then I was informed by someone "in the know and about at the time"that the B was allowed the 145 tank.
I know that a tank that size might be awkward to fit into the Gilbern but perhaps worth a look?