Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 16 May 2022, 12:03 (Ref:4110199)   #151
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
https://twitter.com/HurtLewis/status...30373989744640
Quote:
Excellent news for the BTCC as the switch from ITV4 to ITV Main Channel yesterday added over 250,000 viewers to the show - peaking at over half a million.
In other words, ITV1 got double the audience of ITV4
Old 16 May 2022, 12:09 (Ref:4110201)   #152
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee View Post
Yes - it will be wheel speed vs GPS speed. There is a minimum speed (120kph I think) it can be activated from too.
Yes - as I understand it, the criteria are:
Full traction determined by wheel sensor.
120kph+.
3rd gear or higher.
Full throttle.
Old 16 May 2022, 12:10 (Ref:4110202)   #153
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's more relevant is how does that figure stand up compared to ITV1's normal Sunday afternoon at that time? Is it higher/lower than what they normally broadcast?
Old 16 May 2022, 12:12 (Ref:4110203)   #154
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee View Post
Yes - it will be wheel speed vs GPS speed. There is a minimum speed (120kph I think) it can be activated from too.
Thanks for the response. If I could further add, what happens then if the car has reached its 120kph threshold and they engage hybrid mode and during the middle of a hybrid deployment that the car hits a bump in the road or a kerb (or its wet and apply too much throttle) and causes the wheels to spin up, does the hybrid deployment stop by itself?

Also does this not give the RWD cars more of an advantage since they have better traction anyway and are less likely to spin up wheels over crests etc. From what I recall, FWD touring cars have been spinning wheels up Clay Hill @Oulton Park for decades and that's an obvious deployment point (up a long hill from out of a tight chicane).
Old 16 May 2022, 12:17 (Ref:4110204)   #155
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Also does this not give the RWD cars more of an advantage since they have better traction anyway and are less likely to spin up wheels over crests etc. From what I recall, FWD touring cars have been spinning wheels up Clay Hill @Oulton Park for decades and that's an obvious deployment point (up a long hill from out of a tight chicane).
This was part of the reasoning behind the speed/gear/traction settings on the hybrid usage - the theory being that when hybrid becomes available due to speed/gear/traction being correct the rwd traction advantage has already been negated. As you say there may be situations where it's not as black/white as that but I believe that was the reasoning behind the parameters they've set.
Old 16 May 2022, 12:22 (Ref:4110205)   #156
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
“It’s to give parity between the rear-wheel drive and front-wheel drive cars,” explained Richard Woodgate, lead applications engineer at Cosworth. “If you tried to deploy it at a lower speed in a front-wheel drive car, you’d just lose it all through lack of traction – whereas a rear-wheel-drive would be able to use it and it would be a huge advantage for them so that speed has been chosen as the speed at which it’s equal for both parties.”
Old 16 May 2022, 13:55 (Ref:4110216)   #157
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think its got the parity right. The teams at the front will be the ones who work the rules the best, just as it always has been. FWD and RWD will have their own advantages and disadvantages, but it will also be down to what circuit suits the cars
Old 16 May 2022, 17:18 (Ref:4110250)   #158
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR18 View Post
Completely crap comment as Infinity were the ones who dominated the past two years
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
Infiniti

Quote:
where would we be without the loverly spelling police ?? Anything you spell incorrectly can and will be used against you

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonNeston View Post
What is really ludicrous, is your appalling spelling and grammer!!!!!!
Quote:
cry me a river
Old 16 May 2022, 17:23 (Ref:4110251)   #159
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yes , not creepy at all... do you archieve and make notes of all the discussions on the board for years ?

in other news it seems only Tukington and Shedden are the only ones from the "old guard " who can still deliver results , the likes of Chilton and Plato are past their sell by date
Old 16 May 2022, 17:48 (Ref:4110254)   #160
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
yes , not creepy at all... do you archieve and make notes of all the discussions on the board for years ?
Archive? No, the forum does that and you can find previous posts with the search function.
If the thought of having your discussions archived and searchable creeps you out - the internet might not be a good place for you.

Quote:
in other news it seems only Tukington and Shedden are the only ones from the "old guard " who can still deliver results , the likes of Chilton and Plato are past their sell by date
What do you define as the 'old guard'?
Old 16 May 2022, 18:02 (Ref:4110256)   #161
porsche962fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Archive? No, the forum does that and you can find previous posts with the search function.
If the thought of having your discussions archived and searchable creeps you out - the internet might not be a good place for you.
so you go thru hundrets , maybe even more, posts from the past ? yeah still creepy

Quote:
What do you define as the 'old guard'?
now if it would be drivers who very active and multiple seasons in the series before 2010
Old 16 May 2022, 18:11 (Ref:4110257)   #162
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
now if it would be drivers who very active and multiple seasons in the series before 2010
Right - with you (I think).

So you pretty much named all four driver left from the 'old guard' in your post, of which it is true that Shedden and Turkington are still able to put in good results at the front.

I think it is a bit early to write off Plato and Chilton just yet. Both have been regular podium visitors in recent seasons, but last season was a bit poor for both of them (by their own standards). I think a clearer picture will be seen after Knockhill.
Old 16 May 2022, 18:17 (Ref:4110259)   #163
porsche962fan
Veteran

not just 4

it can be argued that Jelley might be from the old guard and is underperforming to say the least , was great to see him get some podiums in the old team parker 125 but at WSR with top spec machine he should have regular podiums
Old 16 May 2022, 18:21 (Ref:4110263)   #164
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd to love to see you two meet each other in real life!
Old 16 May 2022, 18:31 (Ref:4110268)   #165
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Now that would be fun.

Quote:
not just 4

it can be argued that Jelley might be from the old guard and is underperforming to say the least , was great to see him get some podiums in the old team parker 125 but at WSR with top spec machine he should have regular podiums
Possibly - I can see the argument for putting him in the 'old guard'. But he only did two seasons before 2010 and has never really challenged for a title.
His performance has been fairly consistent over the years:

5 podiums in one season in a WSR 3-series.
3 podiums over two seasons in the Parker-run 1-series.
2 podiums last season back in a WSR 3-series.
Old 16 May 2022, 18:44 (Ref:4110271)   #166
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Perhaps they sit next to each other at Brands Hatch every year and have never realised.
Old 16 May 2022, 18:50 (Ref:4110278)   #167
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post
Perhaps they sit next to each other at Brands Hatch every year and have never realised.
Or, maybe we have realised?
Old 17 May 2022, 06:56 (Ref:4110314)   #168
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having a flick through some of the driver's racing CVs - its surprising to see how many of the so-called young drivers have been on the grid for around 10 years.

Ollie Jackson 2011
Tom Ingram 2014
Dan Lloyd (1 off appearance in 2010)
Jake Hill 2013
Aiden Moffat 2013
Aron Taylor-Smith 2011
Adam Morgan 2012

Then the 'old guard'
Turkington 2002
Chilton 2002
Shedden 2006
Jelley 2008
Plato 1997
Old 17 May 2022, 08:01 (Ref:4110317)   #169
DaviePHD
Rookie

DaviePHD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Enjoying 2022 so far...

I'm really liking this season so far.

Hybrid is a good addition and hasn't yet proved to just be a push to pass button.

With Tingram in the Hyundai in particular in 2021 carrying weight was a real issue for him, but in 2022 at Brands he managed a reasonable qualifying with no Hybrid and solid results with less than anyone in the 1st race.

I'd love to see a new champion this year, Tingram, Cook and Hill all looking good.

Turkington and Sutton are probably the only previous winners who could win it, and though Sutton isn't dominating like in 2021 he's doing very well in a car which is new to him. I'm of the opinion that he can drive anything well, I'd love to see him in an Aussie V8!

I've been really impressed with George Gamble so far, and the returning Bobby Thompson.

2022 is looking good.
Old 17 May 2022, 08:56 (Ref:4110326)   #170
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaviePHD View Post
Hybrid is a good addition and hasn't yet proved to just be a push to pass button.
I was trying to work out if I like hybrid or if it's just I'm glad to see the back of the option tyre and success ballast.
Old 17 May 2022, 11:14 (Ref:4110346)   #171
hen henths
Racer

hen henths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaviePHD View Post
though Sutton isn't dominating like in 2021 he's doing very well in a car which is new to him.
Yes and he might be improving (Back in the Subaru days he'd pick up as the year went on). He did well to get those results at Brands, considering where he qualified, and ended ahead of Cammish in the third race.

On the other hand, I'm sure the wet conditions favoured Ash that weekend and while we're on the subject of the wet track, doesn't it look like those BMWs have a better wet setup sorted this year? They pulled out a huge gap at the front very quickly and it's perhaps a little ominous for the other teams what they'll be like in the dry at other circuits.

Ash said he drove most of the third race with his steering about 45 degrees out of alignment due to Chilton hitting him in the rear in the first couple of laps, but Chilton was ahead of him for the early part of the race so could it have happened in race 2, with insufficient time for repair?
Old 17 May 2022, 11:26 (Ref:4110349)   #172
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by hen henths View Post
Ash said he drove most of the third race with his steering about 45 degrees out of alignment due to Chilton hitting him in the rear in the first couple of laps, but Chilton was ahead of him for the early part of the race so could it have happened in race 2, with insufficient time for repair?
Possibly race 2 - or given the opening lap mayhem in race 3 he could be mistaken and it was Butcher?
Old 17 May 2022, 11:36 (Ref:4110350)   #173
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by hen henths View Post
Yes and he might be improving (Back in the Subaru days he'd pick up as the year went on). He did well to get those results at Brands, considering where he qualified, and ended ahead of Cammish in the third race.
You got me wondering how this season compares to his previous campaigns. His record reads:

SeasonPts after 6 racesFinal Position
20165513th
2017331st
2018494th
2019708th
2020791st
2021801st
202271???

I think the early season performances of the last two seasons are too fresh in people's minds compared to his early seasons. This is his 3rd best start to a season, and his first four seasons show that it is too early to reach conclusions on how the season will pan out.

His and Cammish's results have shown that the car is capable of contending for a title - and there is a long way to go yet.
Old 17 May 2022, 12:01 (Ref:4110353)   #174
hen henths
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I think the early season performances of the last two seasons are too fresh in people's minds compared to his early seasons. This is his 3rd best start to a season, and his first four seasons show that it is too early to reach conclusions on how the season will pan out.
From what I've seen, when the guy's in a new car or a new environment he learns very fast, probably through experimentation, how to get the best from it. Back in 2020 during the lockdowns I saw him race in the Arg Esports cup, I think it was Zolder, and at the start he crashed once or twice where I think he was testing out the invisible limits to the track that the game imposed and then proceeded to totally outdo all the other competitors, eventually winning with about a 20 second gap!
Old 17 May 2022, 12:39 (Ref:4110354)   #175
hen henths
Racer

Sorry, that should be ARG eSports, not Arg (Arrgh?). Too late to edit the post.