Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 18 Dec 2006, 15:24 (Ref:1793700)   #151
dedalus5150
Rookie

United States
Upstate NY
dedalus5150 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excellent news! Paul is quite a character and should spice things up a bit next year. I may shed a tear of joy if I get to see the Minardi name in victory lane...
Old 18 Dec 2006, 15:42 (Ref:1793715)   #152
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus5150
I may shed a tear of joy if I get to see the Minardi name in victory lane...
You and I both. I grew to love the Minardi team in F1 and I am tickled to see them continue in Champ Car.
Stoddart will be an excellent edition to the cast of characters whether you love him or hate him.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 18 Dec 2006, 18:14 (Ref:1793839)   #153
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy-ace
You and I both. I grew to love the Minardi team in F1 and I am tickled to see them continue in Champ Car.
Stoddart will be an excellent edition to the cast of characters whether you love him or hate him.
I think many people cheered for Minardi in F1, as everyone loves an underdog. I also agree that with the addition of Stoddart, this could be an excellent edition of CCWS.
Old 18 Dec 2006, 18:41 (Ref:1793857)   #154
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Minardi Team USA

A great addition. It will be fun to see what 'outrageous' comments that crazy but loveable Aussie makes. Crazy like a fox.
Where would motorsport be without the Aussies?
Old 18 Dec 2006, 18:44 (Ref:1793858)   #155
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We all loved the underdog in Formula 1 and him fighting with the big teams and personalities off the track.

My favourite all time Minardi moment was Melbourne 2002 when Mark Webber came 5th I believe in his first race and him and Paul made it onto the podium.

I wonder how many ex Minardi mechanics and team principles he'll bring to the CTE/HVM camp?
Old 18 Dec 2006, 19:33 (Ref:1793922)   #156
Rime
Rookie

Vatican City State
Rime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I rest my case...

Paul Stoddart has admitted that there could be major Dutch interest in Minardi Team USA in 2007, and that it may involve Jos Verstappen becoming one of their drivers.

Stoddart, together with Keith Wiggins and Champ Car President Steve Johnson, held a press conference today following the announcement that the Australian has bought a controlling interest in CTE Racing-HVM.

Stoddart confirmed that Dutch businessman Harry Muermans, who backed Jan Heylen at Dale Coyne Racing this season and Stoddart's Minardi team in Formula One, will also have an association with the team.

Stoddart declared: "Harry Muermans is not just a business partner but also a friend of mine, and he will have some involvement in the team. The exact nature of this has not yet been finalised.

"Regarding drivers, Jos [Verstappen] and I go back a long way, and I think he'd be an asset to the team and to the series. We're also talking to Robert Doornbos, who I think is a very talented driver."

To a Dutch journalist, Stoddart remarked: "Expect an exciting announcement in the New Year."
Old 18 Dec 2006, 19:36 (Ref:1793925)   #157
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
Dutch chap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Source?
Old 18 Dec 2006, 19:46 (Ref:1793933)   #158
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bit upset it's a replacement rather than an addition - especially considering how much HVM progressed last year.
Old 18 Dec 2006, 19:52 (Ref:1793939)   #159
morpun86
Rookie

England
Stoke or Bradford
morpun86 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
does anyone know if yorkshireman Dan Clark will keep his seat next year?
Old 18 Dec 2006, 20:00 (Ref:1793950)   #160
CSF
Rookie

Scotland
Near the 'Fantastic' city of Aberdeen
CSF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
dont know depends on what stoddy has planned. didnt he say ex-minardi drivers? i heard rumours of Zsolt Baumgartner... but that may have been F1 Rejects i cant remember!
Old 18 Dec 2006, 20:02 (Ref:1793952)   #161
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As long as Nelson and Dan were still in the team I think that would be good as then maybe they could be a 3 car team with one of the ex F1 Minardi drivers bringing in more structure to the team which is no doubt happening...unlike Paul just hitching up a tent on his own....

And also what Rime posted in the other related thread ::

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rime
I rest my case...

Paul Stoddart has admitted that there could be major Dutch interest in Minardi Team USA in 2007, and that it may involve Jos Verstappen becoming one of their drivers.

Stoddart, together with Keith Wiggins and Champ Car President Steve Johnson, held a press conference today following the announcement that the Australian has bought a controlling interest in CTE Racing-HVM.

Stoddart confirmed that Dutch businessman Harry Muermans, who backed Jan Heylen at Dale Coyne Racing this season and Stoddart's Minardi team in Formula One, will also have an association with the team.

Stoddart declared: "Harry Muermans is not just a business partner but also a friend of mine, and he will have some involvement in the team. The exact nature of this has not yet been finalised.

"Regarding drivers, Jos [Verstappen] and I go back a long way, and I think he'd be an asset to the team and to the series. We're also talking to Robert Doornbos, who I think is a very talented driver."

To a Dutch journalist, Stoddart remarked: "Expect an exciting announcement in the New Year."

Last edited by luke; 18 Dec 2006 at 20:05.
Old 18 Dec 2006, 20:07 (Ref:1793958)   #162
CSF
Rookie

Scotland
Near the 'Fantastic' city of Aberdeen
CSF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ahh good quality drivers phew i had myself worried for a minute
Old 18 Dec 2006, 20:10 (Ref:1793964)   #163
Rime
Rookie

Vatican City State
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch chap
Source?
Autosport.com and Pitpass
Old 18 Dec 2006, 20:29 (Ref:1793989)   #164
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
Bit upset it's a replacement rather than an addition - especially considering how much HVM progressed last year.
This is supposed to mean additional cars... one or two, don't know yet.
Old 18 Dec 2006, 20:59 (Ref:1794021)   #165
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
Ok, thanks for that.

I very much doubt that Verstappen has any sponsors left, at least not for the amount of money that is required. Don't mention Trust. It is not going to happen.

As for Doornbos, who knows.... If he can't get a drive in F1, he may be persuaded to move to Champcars.
Old 18 Dec 2006, 21:16 (Ref:1794027)   #166
Rime
Rookie

Vatican City State
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch chap
Ok, thanks for that.

I very much doubt that Verstappen has any sponsors left, at least not for the amount of money that is required. Don't mention Trust. It is not going to happen.

As for Doornbos, who knows.... If he can't get a drive in F1, he may be persuaded to move to Champcars.
Nah, Doornbos will be in F1 testing for RBR or racing for STR.

Dunno about sponsors and Verstappen, but Muermans could be one and (sorry to mention this) Perridon and Verstappen are also friends again. But latest rumours over here are that Verstappen will drive CCWS next season but not for Minardi...
Old 18 Dec 2006, 21:24 (Ref:1794036)   #167
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rime
Nah, Doornbos will be in F1 testing for RBR or racing for STR.

....Perridon and Verstappen are also friends again.....

Forget it. Last time I met the man he was litterary crying for being robbed by those b......s. "Woonwagenbewoners" was the phrase he used. Don't make the mistake to just look at press releases but know people...
Old 18 Dec 2006, 21:57 (Ref:1794069)   #168
norman-normal
Veteran

norman-normal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It certainly would not be easy to cut either of CTE's drivers loose after this years performance, next to AJ, they were the surprise of the year.
Old 18 Dec 2006, 22:10 (Ref:1794086)   #169
Rime
Rookie

Vatican City State
The info I get is that those two are buddies again, but we'll have tot wait untill next month before we know that for sure...

http://www.verstappen.nl/picture/200.../strydbyl1.jpg
Old 18 Dec 2006, 23:17 (Ref:1794145)   #170
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good addition. Hope he hires quality and becomes a solid team in the series.
Old 18 Dec 2006, 23:20 (Ref:1794146)   #171
ozrevhead
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, Australia
ozrevhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
As long as Nelson and Dan were still in the team I think that would be good as then maybe they could be a 3 car team with one of the ex F1 Minardi drivers bringing in more structure to the team which is no doubt happening...unlike Paul just hitching up a tent on his own....

And also what Rime posted in the other related thread ::
true what they say

its who you know and how much dollars you can pull out of your $$$$$$
Old 18 Dec 2006, 23:52 (Ref:1794171)   #172
mp356a
Veteran

United States
SE PA USA
mp356a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
Concur.
Old 19 Dec 2006, 00:06 (Ref:1794180)   #173
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
One interesting (Or not) peice of trivia is this team will be combining the powers of 2 ex-formula one team.

Should be called Simtek-Minardi.
Old 19 Dec 2006, 00:14 (Ref:1794190)   #174
Rime
Rookie

Vatican City State
...you mean Pacific-Minardi-Racing... or will Nick Wirth be one of the new owners?
Old 19 Dec 2006, 03:20 (Ref:1794251)   #175
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's too bad in a way, but it's better that a team was saved than lost. Wiggans will revert back to his old role of doing the day to day running of the team. Say what you will about Stoddart, but he did an excellent job of bringing in talented people behind the scenes at Minardi. As Ross Dennis once said, it was hands down the most efficient with resources of any team in F1. A few million dollars can do wonders in a typical champ car team. I would not be at all surprised to see the team consistantly challange NH, Forsythe and RuSport (assuming they retain their form).

Some of the "rejects" that Stoddart might bring to the team are not exactly untalented drivers. I cannot imagine that Philippe would be booted out of the team, but I could see Clark.