Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Jul 2007, 08:58 (Ref:1958295)   #151
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Then judging by the typical buyers of their road cars they need to employ even more experienced race drivers.....
Old 9 Jul 2007, 13:21 (Ref:1958602)   #152
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its the bigger names more specifically, at least that was John Howett's plan when they signed Ralf and Jarno.
Old 10 Jul 2007, 09:34 (Ref:1959460)   #153
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
Its the bigger names more specifically, at least that was John Howett's plan when they signed Ralf and Jarno.
Yes well one of them's got a big name alright.

Howett's taken a leaf out of Ron's book as McLaren always had to have 'name' drivers in both cars and it was only this year when that changed by putting Hamilton in the other car as a relative unknown.

However it's no good having names drivers in your team that seemingly only operate within certain parametsers when your trying to drive a team forwards!
Old 11 Jul 2007, 08:38 (Ref:1960434)   #154
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
maybe having a different driver in the team young or experienced that is probably known not as the bigest name in F1 would do Toyota the world of good, maybe maybe not.
Old 18 Jul 2007, 20:03 (Ref:1966849)   #155
notguilty
Racer

notguilty should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
just my two cents
Mclaren
Alonso
Hamilton

Ferrari
Raikkonen
Massa

BMW
Vettel
Webber

Toyota
Wurz
Heidfield

STR
Bourdais
Glock

Prodrive
Paffett
DiGrassi

Super Aguri
Sato
Nakajima

Honda
Barrichello
Davidson

Renault
Button
Rosburg

Red Bull
Coulthard
Liuzzi

Spyker
Stutil
Winkelhock
Old 18 Jul 2007, 20:07 (Ref:1966854)   #156
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
is Alonso a lock for Mclaren for 2008?
if the FIA come down on them for the scandal, will he want to stay? does he even want to be on the same team as LH. as long as BMW (which is looking better every race) dont sign up 2 drivers, im holding out hope for some really silly rumours will start up.
a swap for Nick and Alonso...that would be sweet.
Old 18 Jul 2007, 20:33 (Ref:1966874)   #157
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ralf today said that he is certain to be on the grid next year...are Toyota really that stupid?

My prediction

McLaren - Alonso & Hamilton (both under contract as far as I know)

Ferrari - Raikkonen & Massa (ditto)

BMW - Heidfeld & Kubica (Kubica is, and I think both Nick and BMW would be foolish not to renew)

Renault - Fisichella & Kovalainen (1 more year for Fisi, Kovi will be retained if he isn't under contract already)

Williams - 2 of Rosberg/Wurz/Nakajima/Piquet (can't really see Wurz getting another year, but will Rosberg stay? Nelsinho loaned out by Renault?)

Toyota - Trulli & Schumacher/Rosberg (Ralf will be out, whilst Rosberg will jump Toyota-powered teams. Trulli is contracted)

Red Bull - Webber & Coulthard (already confirmed)

Super Aguri - Sato & Davidson (can't see them letting Sato go, though I'm not sure if Ant would go or who'd replace him)

Honda - Button & Barrichello (JB's under contract, RB's likely to get another year)

Toro Rosso - Bourdais & Vettel (Seb B's all but confirmed, and there's no door at BMW for the other Seb)

Spyker - Sutil & van der Garde (unless he goes to Toyota, Sutil will stay, and vdG will probably join him due to £££)

Prodrive - de la Rosa & Paffett (would make sense, but I've heard that maybe Gary isn't going to get the drive)
Old 19 Jul 2007, 01:04 (Ref:1967032)   #158
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Fisichella is apparently off contract at the end of the season. If he's leaving Renault, this would be the year...
Old 19 Jul 2007, 02:21 (Ref:1967048)   #159
rocketracer
Veteran

Australia
Albert Park
rocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
the problem for renault is: who would you replace fisi with?

there is a shortage of credible experienced drivers around.
consider:

1. I highly doubt flavio will see it as a wise decision to have 2 inexperienced drivers side by side, being nelsinho and heikki.
2. I really dont think they will take (or want to pay for) Ralf.
3. Rubens will see out his days with honda (whether that's this year or next).
4. who else is there on the shopping list?

rosberg is the only other option that could be a suitably eligible and credible option, but is he contracted to williams for 08? i think fisi is safe for another year.
Old 19 Jul 2007, 04:00 (Ref:1967080)   #160
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
maybe Flav will do a swap with Piquet Jnr and Webber keep Kovi and get rid of Fisi who might end up at Prodrive or Spyker. .

Mclaren
Alonso
Hamilton

Ferrari
Raikkonen
Massa

BMW
Heidfeld
Kubica

Toyota
Trulli
Nakajima

STR
Liuzzi
Bourdais

Prodrive
Paffett
Fisichella

Super Aguri
Sato
Davidson

Honda
Schumacher
Button

Renault
Webber
Kovalainen

Red Bull
Coulthard
Piquet Jnr

Spyker
Stutil
Klien

Last edited by Pro Racer; 19 Jul 2007 at 04:06.
Old 19 Jul 2007, 04:50 (Ref:1967103)   #161
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
I think if Fisi's out of Renault, then Piquet's in. There is a question of having 2 drivers so inexperienced, but i think it could pay off so long as the car's good enough. Kovalainen's on Fisi's pace now and still getting better, so maybe by the end of the year he'll have done enough to lead the team with Piquet next to him.
Old 19 Jul 2007, 06:50 (Ref:1967131)   #162
Bluewolf
Racer

United States
Woodland Hills California
Bluewolf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Webber's had some excellent qualifying efforts this year -- he will stay with RBR or move up.
Fisi's probably gone. I can't see Nelshino sitting around another season, especially because and Fisi hasn't come back strong this year like Heidfeld has. And he's getting a bit long in the tooth too, so why not give the kid a chance.
If Hamilton continues to outperform Alonso, Alonso will run from Mclaren as fast as he can --perhaps 09?
If STR keeps one of its drivers its even money as to whether it will be Speed or Liuzzi -- Liuzzi has had better qualifying but Speed has had better races.
Some people are unimpressed by Davidson but I think he's a bit underated -- {I was watching his lap times on my computer at the U. S. Grand Prix toward the end of the race and he was Rocket Man} he's stays in F1 somewhere.

Last edited by Bluewolf; 19 Jul 2007 at 06:57.
Old 19 Jul 2007, 08:31 (Ref:1967227)   #163
locco
Rookie

locco has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
would you guys stop saying Hamilton outperformed Alonso, Hamilton may never win a champion if Alonso stays in Mclaren, thats how I see it imo atleast. if Alonso changes teams Hamilton will be happier than Alonso, especially when Alonso said Mclaren is his dream team, I can't see him changing really, maybe a few more years then he retires as some people here say he'll retire early. so am guessing those two are staying together for a while, Renault are the team with the biggest decision i'd say, would be interesting to see who stays and whos out hopefully we'll know by Monza or something.
Old 19 Jul 2007, 08:37 (Ref:1967230)   #164
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Renault wouldn't have a problem with Heikki and Piquet line up. HK's already got plenty of experience of the cars and the team so I wouldn't class him as inexperienced. Nelsinho would be chomping at the bit and would make a good back up guy (I don't think he's as quick as Heikki).

There's no point in keeping Fizzi on for another year now. I believe he was only retained for this year as a 'banker'.

Renault should either bring in a highly motivated current F1 driver like Nico or Kubica or a rookie like Piquet to partner Heikki.
Old 19 Jul 2007, 11:50 (Ref:1967359)   #165
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think after Heikki's poor(ish) start this year, to take Piquet on alongside him would be a risk. Look at how much testing Heikki had and he was still pretty mediocre in the first few races, especially Australia. He hasn't been that bad this year so far, but neither has he been superb

Webber has already been effectively confirmed by Red Bull when they resigned DC so he won't be leaving

Other than Fisi, they could go for Ralf...well, maybe not. But there's Rosberg, Liuzzi and Speed, though the latter 2 are pushing the boat out a bit, and it would only be for a year if Nelsinho was to come back after a year loaned out to Williams or something

I can't see the sense in getting rid of Fisi yet. He hasn't been that bad this year, considering the car isn't fantastic. He's beating Heikki, which is more than some expected, including me
Old 19 Jul 2007, 13:22 (Ref:1967445)   #166
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
He's beating Heikki,
That's debatable, except maybe in terms of points.

Also he had a bad race in Australia but I don't think he's messed up in any of the subsequent races.
Old 19 Jul 2007, 13:45 (Ref:1967467)   #167
WebberForWDC
Veteran

Australia
Australia
WebberForWDC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's a silly season for 2008?

Bugger all change is hardly a silly season!
Old 19 Jul 2007, 13:48 (Ref:1967471)   #168
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
In the races they've both finished in, it's 5-3 to Fisi, though one of those DNF's for Fisi was the DQ in Canada, and Kovi's race in France was compromised by the 1st lap crash which wasn't really his fault (although Fisi beat him in qualifying)
Old 19 Jul 2007, 22:59 (Ref:1967895)   #169
rocketracer
Veteran

Australia
Albert Park
rocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i'd say heikki is coming along well, but the season is only half way through, and i think we will still see some more rookie mistakes from him before the year's out. no slight against him, but he is still a rookie, who is likely to make racing mistakes.

i would be surprised if fisi doesnt beat him on points by year's end. heikki will start to drive well next year, he might follow a similar sort of career path to rosberg, who has really started to shine in his second season. keeping fisi there will do well to bring out the best in both of them imo.

having said that, nelsinho would certainly make a more exciting young lineup.
Old 3 Aug 2007, 07:46 (Ref:1979653)   #170
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Vodafone McLaren Mercedes - Mercedes
Fernando Alonso
Lewis Hamilton

Ferrari Marlboro - Ferrari
Felipe Massa
Kimi Raikkonen

BMW Sauber - BMW
Nick Heidfeld
Robert Kubica

ING Renault - Renault
Heikki Kovalainen
Giancarlo Fisichella

Red Bull Racing - Renault
David Coulthard
Mark Webber

At&t Williams - Toyota
Nico Rosberg
Nelson Piquet Jr

Panasonic Toyota - Toyota
Jarno Trulli
Ralf Schumacher

Honda Racing - Honda
Jenson Button
Rubens Barichello

Super Aguri - Honda
Takuma Sato
Anthony Davidson

Torro Rosso - Ferrari
Sebatian Vettel
Sebastian Bourdais

Spyker F1 - Ferrari
Adrian Sutil
Sakon Yamamoto

Prodrive - McLaren Mercedes
Pedro De La Rosa
Alex Wurz
Old 3 Aug 2007, 10:18 (Ref:1979749)   #171
Sev
Veteran

Sev has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yep, I'd say that's pretty close to the mark Pro Driver. Except I can't see Yamamoto sticking around. He's far too crap. Same goes for Ralf.
Old 3 Aug 2007, 10:49 (Ref:1979776)   #172
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Is Fisichella out of contract at the end of this season? Because if he is, it must be time for him to go. He was consistently destroyed by Alonso, is considered to be doing quite well to be scoring more points than his rookie team-mate, and he has to be told on the radio when to drive faster and overtake people! To that end, Toyota ought to give Trulli the push at the end of his contract - massively over-rated, IIRC just the one win, yet somehow manages to hold down a drive every year.

I'd like to see a few more teams taking chances on exciting young talents - this year is really the first that McLaren have had a go at that, and it's really paying off. There's something very dispiriting about looking at the driver line-up every year and seeing the same old underachieving names (Barrichello, anybody?).
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 3 Aug 2007, 12:35 (Ref:1979845)   #173
Rick
Veteran

Madagascar
Fantasyland
Rick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl
and seeing the same old underachieving names (Barrichello, anybody?).

seems to have Jenson at the moment!
Old 4 Aug 2007, 10:36 (Ref:1980361)   #174
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
probably the only old farts (interms of F1) performing are MW and DC, it has been their cars that have let them down IMO.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:25 (Ref:1980512)   #175
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
And not Heidfeld? He's got a few more years experience than Webber.