Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Closed Thread

Old 18 Sep 2007, 18:55 (Ref:2017259)   #151
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd take a street track over any other permanent track any day! And especially over Estoril. (well if they race on the Ring I'd take that over a street track)
Old 18 Sep 2007, 19:13 (Ref:2017278)   #152
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellmau
How on earth can that be a good thing? Haven't you seen any races on that track? It's even more boring as a visit to the Brilliance museum.

i've seen MotoGP races at Estoril .. and it was super .. not sure it counts

Ciao Marco
Old 18 Sep 2007, 20:14 (Ref:2017370)   #153
Ellmau
Racer

Ellmau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by werner
I'm in favor of Estoril to. It's safer, witch can as well save al lot of damage, and make the results more likely to be a real resemblance of performance. Add to that the probably better views for spectators, and the fact that no city has to be disrupted for a week or so.
Better performance of car or driver?
Old 18 Sep 2007, 20:16 (Ref:2017372)   #154
Ellmau
Racer

Ellmau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani Filth
i've seen MotoGP races at Estoril .. and it was super .. not sure it counts
No, that doesn't count. Assen is a great track for MotoGP, but it's an awful track for car racing
Old 18 Sep 2007, 20:36 (Ref:2017394)   #155
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
WTCC only have an agreement to run at Porto every other year, so it was never on the schedule for 2008. Will be back in 2009 though.
Old 19 Sep 2007, 11:20 (Ref:2017813)   #156
Lam Pak
Veteran

Lam Pak has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i dont understand people laughing Brilliance as they race sucessfully in China National touring car series.
Old 19 Sep 2007, 19:38 (Ref:2018217)   #157
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellmau
How on earth can that be a good thing? Haven't you seen any races on that track? It's even more boring as a visit to the Brilliance museum.
To be honest it was just a spontanious feeling I got, I watched the ETC at Estoril but I didn´t catch the round at Porto. However I thought the Porto circuit was very narrow at places, and caused some accidents because of this?

For me a street circuit has to have something really special if it´s going to stand a chans against "real" circuits, either in form of heritage/tradition or in form of circuit layout(or ofcourse both).
Old 20 Sep 2007, 09:56 (Ref:2018745)   #158
Monkey Head
Veteran

Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Monkey Head should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lam Pak
i dont understand people laughing Brilliance as they race sucessfully in China National touring car series.

0 point.....
Old 23 Sep 2007, 14:10 (Ref:2020989)   #159
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Are there any rumours about the future of N.Technology in WTCC? Last year or in the first part of this year there were rumours (and even a statement of FIAT?) about a FIAT Bravo diesel WTCC project.

I really hope they increase race length to 30 minutes. Are there any signs they will do this? Of course costs will rise a bit but it gives also more TV air time.
Besides that I hope they have race 1 and race 2 on the same time (for example 13:00h and 15:30h) like in previous seasons. This season I missed a few races because of this.

Last edited by FIRE; 23 Sep 2007 at 14:14.
Old 23 Sep 2007, 18:03 (Ref:2021153)   #160
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
I really hope they increase race length to 30 minutes. Are there any signs they will do this? Of course costs will rise a bit but it gives also more TV air time.
What about going to a three race structure like the BTCC?

Quote:
Besides that I hope they have race 1 and race 2 on the same time (for example 13:00h and 15:30h) like in previous seasons. This season I missed a few races because of this.
Yes, yes yes.

And get someone other than Eurosport to have the TV rights - I.E. BBC or Channel 4. Even Channel 5 with Jar Jar would be better.
Old 24 Sep 2007, 08:20 (Ref:2021486)   #161
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
What about going to a three race structure like the BTCC?

Yes, yes yes.

And get someone other than Eurosport to have the TV rights - I.E. BBC or Channel 4. Even Channel 5 with Jar Jar would be better.

Thats not going to happen. Eurosport are not just the broadcaster, they own the whole company that manages the WTCC so there not going to give the rights to anyone else.
Old 24 Sep 2007, 15:13 (Ref:2021808)   #162
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
I prefer 2 race format.

About TV coverage. If there would be live coverage on mainstream channels like BBC or ITV the populairity of WTCC would increase. But to get live coverage on mainstream channels in each single European country is very difficult. Most channels are only interested in F1. In most European countries Eurosport 1 is free available (in contrast to Eurosport 2 or Motors TV).
Old 24 Sep 2007, 15:34 (Ref:2021822)   #163
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Any mainstream coverage would be nice, doesn't have to be live. Best we get is a half-hour highlights package on Channel 4, shown in the middle of the night and several weeks later.

For example, this week the highlights are on at 3.30am Weds, except that not for Brands, it's the Oschersleben coverage from a month ago.
Old 24 Sep 2007, 16:04 (Ref:2021845)   #164
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
In most European countries Eurosport 1 is free available
Not in the UK.
Old 24 Sep 2007, 16:17 (Ref:2021856)   #165
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
I said in most European....
Old 25 Sep 2007, 23:24 (Ref:2023060)   #166
E46
Veteran

Spain
Zaragoza, Reino de Aragón
E46 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A team from Brazil is asking to SEAT Sport to buy two Leones for 2008 season, the business will happen or not if SEAT has available cars to sell.

SEAT Sport Italia is pushing for a TDI car...for 2007. I put it here because there isn´t other room. They want to have the new car for Monza and Macau with Colciago at wheel but the big problem is SEAT Sport. Spanish team could not have spares enough.

Source: www.sportmotores.es
Old 2 Oct 2007, 16:55 (Ref:2029106)   #167
redshoes
Veteran

Press release from Chevrolet today - "Chevrolet Europe has re-signed an agreement with UK-based Ray Mallock Limited to extend the current agreement and WTCC commitment beyond the 2007 season."

As I recall the current agreement was for 3 years, 2007 being the third year. There's no indication how long this new agreement will be for, how many cars or who the drivers will be.
Old 2 Oct 2007, 17:41 (Ref:2029145)   #168
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
I hope next year there will be a few more (private) Chevy's.
Old 2 Oct 2007, 22:59 (Ref:2029445)   #169
Koulle
Racer

United Kingdom
Koulle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good to here about Chevy, although there wasn't much doubt in the first place.

I hope they can be strong contenders for the championship next year.
Old 3 Oct 2007, 21:52 (Ref:2030304)   #170
Martin Haven
Veteran

England
Royal Leamington Spa
Martin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMartin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMartin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I prefer 2 race format.

About TV coverage. If there would be live coverage on mainstream channels like BBC or ITV the populairity of WTCC would increase. But to get live coverage on mainstream channels in each single European country is very difficult. Most channels are only interested in F1. In most European countries Eurosport 1 is free available (in contrast to Eurosport 2 or Motors TV).
The BBC and ITV would only show WTCC if Sir Lewis of Hamilton was in a car...

For goodness sake, we have a DOUBLE World Champion in the form of Andy Priaulx and yet he barely merits a mention in something like Sports Personality of the Year...

He could win again this year and no-one in major terrestrial broadcasters would even notice...

Maybe BMW Team UK need to run a second car for Paula Radcliffe, or a darts player...
Old 4 Oct 2007, 08:25 (Ref:2030572)   #171
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Add that AvB mentioned in this forum that when Autosport had Andy on the cover it sold fewer copies than ever (or something). Quite depressing, isn't it?
Old 4 Oct 2007, 17:44 (Ref:2031132)   #172
David L
Racer

United Kingdom
Lancashire, UK
David L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Haven
The BBC and ITV would only show WTCC if Sir Lewis of Hamilton was in a car...
Be fair.. They'd also show it if there were a special "celebrity come-wtcc" round..

I vote that Posh and Becks get the Russian Bear racing entry... and, just for fun, Rebecca Loos gets a diesel Seat.. lot's of low down grunt..
Old 4 Oct 2007, 18:12 (Ref:2031158)   #173
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_For_Pole
Add that AvB mentioned in this forum that when Autosport had Andy on the cover it sold fewer copies than ever (or something). Quite depressing, isn't it?
Buying a magazine like Autosport because of the cover...

Off-topic, but why did BMW not put Heidfeld in an extra factory Bimmer at Oschersleben, why did Mercedes not put Alonso in a DTM car at Barcelona and Hamilton at Brands? They would get more spectators and publicity. (It's sad but true...)
Old 4 Oct 2007, 18:15 (Ref:2031163)   #174
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
It does surprise me the lack of exposure the WTCC gets on terrestrial TV, I would have thought that the BBC might have snapped up a cheap deal seeing as they are always on about "getting back sport". What usually happens is that the beeb buy it for cheap, make it popular, then when the contract is up for renewal they can no longer afford it and it goes to ITV/Channel 4/Sky etc.
Old 4 Oct 2007, 18:47 (Ref:2031195)   #175
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Buying a magazine like Autosport because of the cover...

Off-topic, but why did BMW not put Heidfeld in an extra factory Bimmer at Oschersleben, why did Mercedes not put Alonso in a DTM car at Barcelona and Hamilton at Brands? They would get more spectators and publicity. (It's sad but true...)
Not good for the current drivers morale I reckon - cept when they thrash them.

Alfa used to throw F1 drivers at the grid on occassion - very unsuccessfully (Massa, Fisichella).

Not really worth it in my opinion.
Closed Thread

Tags
wtcc