Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 11 Sep 2010, 21:23 (Ref:2757814)   #1751
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Could Henri and AMR join forces!?.
This just accrued to me. Henri has often done miracles with "low end top teams", and AMR is just that!
Old 11 Sep 2010, 21:27 (Ref:2757816)   #1752
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'll stay optimistic on seeing a coupe, then. Nice to hear there is potential.

I assume a screaming AM V8? Forgive me as I am not very familiar with the new engine regs.
Old 11 Sep 2010, 21:35 (Ref:2757817)   #1753
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
I'll stay optimistic on seeing a coupe, then. Nice to hear there is potential.

I assume a screaming AM V8? Forgive me as I am not very familiar with the new engine regs.
I believe it will be a roar instead of a scream .
The V8 Vantage could maybe be base for a LMP2 project?
Old 11 Sep 2010, 21:40 (Ref:2757819)   #1754
Ultimo
Veteran

Ultimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridUltimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I fear the AM still won't be able to challenge the big boys at Peugeot and Audi.

I will be pulling for it though - you guys have tainted me to be pro-gasoline/anti-diesel.
Old 12 Sep 2010, 00:07 (Ref:2757856)   #1755
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
I believe it will be a roar instead of a scream .
That all depends on the V8 now, doesn't it?
Old 12 Sep 2010, 02:58 (Ref:2757896)   #1756
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down F0rce View Post
It makes drivers changes during pit stops less cumbersome, meaning faster pit stops. The team that spends the least time in the pits is usually odds on to win...

Part of the appeal of this type of racing for me in the variety of cars on offer, so good on Aston going for an open top. Peugeot will probably be back with a closed car, we'll have to see what Audi do now.
BINGO!

They are going for the LMP2 route with less weight and I think building a Coupe might have been harder and/or more expensive to get down to minimum weight.

By not having top ingress and egress should become easier and time in the pits.

Audi and Peuqeot will still go enclosed because they are banking on overall pace on track. I don't think there's really a huge negative or positive going either direction, you can win either way.

But that's what makes this form of racing so good, you can attack a problem from different directions.
Old 12 Sep 2010, 06:48 (Ref:2757915)   #1757
Captain Spyro
Rookie

United States
West Virginia
Captain Spyro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
the press release mentions 6 cars will be built for next season, but didn't say anything about where the cars will be running other an Le Mans. So could we possibly see one or two running in the ALMS next season?
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...1ty1U-Mx9AjAbQ

According to Autoweek, four of the new cars have been presold to collectors with one of the remaining racing at Sebring. So...does that mean more cars will be built or am I missing something as three will be at Le Mans, I think?

But most of all, Flying Lizard Motorsports.
Old 12 Sep 2010, 10:46 (Ref:2757978)   #1758
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That has been the Aston LMP1 business plan since they came in.

Sell the car to a collector who let's the team race it in the hope of making their investment in 'just a race car' more valuable by it becoming 'a winning race car' (or the collector gets to be one of the works drivers)
Old 15 Sep 2010, 06:35 (Ref:2759586)   #1759
JayBMS
Racer

Italy
JayBMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It will be intresting to see who the works drivers are.

If AMR want to take on Pug and Audi they'll need a very stong lineup.

I'm guessing they'll have;

Mucke
Turner (unless he's in a GT car)
Enge
Hancock
Fernandez

and im sure i've heard both Andy Meyrick & Chris Buncombe talking about 2011 this season

is that enough to take on McNish etc...?
Old 15 Sep 2010, 07:50 (Ref:2759605)   #1760
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm sure I'll be lambasted for saying this, but I believe AM's driver choice this year has been poor, half of them look like thay are paying for the seat, if david richards is serious about producing a headline show for 2011 and a serious effort at LeMans I suspect he should enroll a selection of ex-F1 drivers, people like:

Hill
Brundle
Blundell
McNish
Davidson
Frentzen
Vielleneuve
Coulthard
Mansell + greg & Leo.......imagine the PR from that!
etc....

Engine wise, if they are going the gasoline route I can only see them going one particular way, turbo charged, either a V6 or a V8, probably the latter as implied elsewhere........a normally aspirated engine just wont have the torque offered by a turbo engine........yet again the 2011 gasoline regs will already be at a significant torque defecit to the diesels, so they must do all possible to minimise that gap.
Old 15 Sep 2010, 16:42 (Ref:2759911)   #1761
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Aston have apparently chosen an atmo 3.4 V8 similar to the HPD and Porsche motors.

This years petrol vs diesel comparaison goes out of the window with all new engines and restrictors.

The ACO's 'target' power output is 520bhp yet the HPD in the ALMS apparently produces 585bhp, in the LMS I'm guessing it's closer to 540bhp with smaller restrictors.

In 2011 you would think P1 petrol cars will recieve a generous restrictor like the ALMS one and a 25-50kg weight break to compensate for the diesels torque advantage.

Last edited by JAG; 15 Sep 2010 at 17:01.
Old 15 Sep 2010, 17:14 (Ref:2759930)   #1762
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post

Hill = He would need plenty time to get into shape , remember Bouchet in the Pescarolo , his neck muscles were hurting after the test , and he was currant .
Brundle = Too old in the tooth I reckon , hasnt driven for 9 years .
Blundell = Maybe too old too , and not currant either .
McNish = Couldnt afford him , and on an Audi contract .
Davidson = Probably on a Pug contract too .
Frentzen = thats a good idea .
Vielleneuve = Not quick enough , Pug dont want him either .
Coulthard
Mansell + Greg & Leo = PR wont win the race .
Watts-Enge-Kox

Kane-Turner-Smith

Mansell-Mansell-Mansell ..... for the PR .

That could work .
Old 15 Sep 2010, 19:55 (Ref:2760028)   #1763
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Aston have apparently chosen an atmo 3.4 V8 similar to the HPD and Porsche motors.

This years petrol vs diesel comparaison goes out of the window with all new engines and restrictors.

The ACO's 'target' power output is 520bhp yet the HPD in the ALMS apparently produces 585bhp, in the LMS I'm guessing it's closer to 540bhp with smaller restrictors.

In 2011 you would think P1 petrol cars will recieve a generous restrictor like the ALMS one and a 25-50kg weight break to compensate for the diesels torque advantage.
thats a very intersting set of numbers, I didnt have a clue that the HPD LMP2 was producing such a high number in the ALMS, but I guess their restrictor strategy is different...........do you mind me asking where this set of numbers came from?????.....I guess AM have done their homework, and for sure its worked for Porsche, and HPD going that 3.4 V8 atmo route, but I stand by what I said........a 2.0 Turbo will have over 600NM of torque.........a 3.4 atmo could not come close in that respect, but I guess an atmo engine has a neater aero package due to no intercoolers, so top speed will be good........ and at the end of the day LeMans is about naked speed, max power and slippery aero package will hurl a car around at quite some pace.

I notice none of you disagree with my comment that the 2010 drivers are not great or possibly pay drivers ;-)

Regarding Hill......did you ever hear about when he tested a GP2 car about 3 years ago......the press were expecting him to cruze around and do a few demo laps, wave to the crouds etc......he jumped in, slaughtered the track and was on the radio the whole time - as he always was, aparrently his laps were of qualifying effort, the press were agast at his instant raw speed.......believe me when I say he has still got it......the problem is he cant be bothered at the moment, but I'm sure that may change once his son graduates from Formula ford......Joshua is now winning races in UK formula ford, looks like he is going to make it somewhere too........perhaps Josh and daddy could end up at LeMans one day.........I would crawl over broken glass to see that!!!!!

Last edited by knighty; 15 Sep 2010 at 20:11.
Old 15 Sep 2010, 20:23 (Ref:2760049)   #1764
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I believe ALMS P2 cars use larger 2008 restrictors as all LMP's are combined into a single class.

In 2008 the RS Spyder and Acura were a match for the R10.

P2 restrictors have been reduced in Europe a couple of times to make a clear differential between P1 and P2.

Even so the HPD of Strakka has been quicker than a number of very decent P1 cars.

I would expect the ACO to return to these 2008 restrictors for petrol P1 cars. With bigger P1 tyres and running around 850-875kg they'd be very quick.

*The HPD figure was mentioned in a discussion about the AER Mazda.
Old 15 Sep 2010, 21:25 (Ref:2760081)   #1765
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
http://www.translate.google.dk/trans...2F&sl=fr&tl=en
Jota will apparently be fielding the new AMR among AMR themselves.
Old 15 Sep 2010, 21:51 (Ref:2760095)   #1766
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jota: http://www.jotasport.com/Jota_Sport/Home.html

L.P.
Old 16 Sep 2010, 00:29 (Ref:2760140)   #1767
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Watts-Enge-Kox

Kane-Turner-Smith

Mansell-Mansell-Mansell ..... for the PR .

That could work .
I'm sure some of these line-ups would be effective, but why not keep Fernandez as well? The man can flat out drive and he's a good guy to boot.

DK
Old 16 Sep 2010, 01:40 (Ref:2760145)   #1768
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Oh , dont get me wrong ..... Im planning on there being an Aston in the ALMS where he will be the lead driver .

Fernandez ranks pretty high in my book .
Old 16 Sep 2010, 16:38 (Ref:2760434)   #1769
JAG
Veteran

England
Aston wil run three cars at Le Mans with a customer car available mid-season according to todays Autosport.

That being the case my factory drivers would be-

Watts
Kane
Cocker

Long
Gavin
Turner

M.Franchitti
Mucke
Fernandez

Names to consider if available-

M.Andretti, Coulthard, Raikkonen
Old 16 Sep 2010, 16:50 (Ref:2760441)   #1770
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
DC has said he would only want to share a car if he could share with his mates, such as Brundle or Gil de Ferran. Get those two involved and then DC would be interested.
Old 16 Sep 2010, 17:45 (Ref:2760480)   #1771
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Now THERE's a team to think about. They can quietly mention who/what/why/where they won't be covering GPs, and get Joe Public watching, p'raps get the Beeb watching, and grab a tidy sum from a title sponsor...
Old 16 Sep 2010, 17:46 (Ref:2760482)   #1772
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Oh, and I would chuck Tomas Enge into one of the seats...
Old 16 Sep 2010, 19:20 (Ref:2760540)   #1773
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Not really that bother who willdrive the AM as long as it beats the deisels and looks as good as the artist impressions show.
Old 20 Sep 2010, 13:40 (Ref:2761935)   #1774
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
I'd like a 3 legged herniated TOAD if it stuffed the diesels!
Old 20 Sep 2010, 21:29 (Ref:2762166)   #1775
JayBMS
Racer

Italy
JayBMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i''ve been thinking more about this

I'm sure i read Fernandez was a multi year deal.

I rate Mucke quite highly and im sure AMR will keep him on.

Handcock will be in the JOTA GT2 car i think.

Enge and Turner should be there unless one is loaned out to to a GT team

Primat is solid and should being some $$ to the program.

so by my math that leave only 1 or 2 seats up for grabs if AMR go for 3 Driver cars