Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 25 Jan 2021, 13:10 (Ref:4031110)   #1826
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
I seem to recall the regs were changed a few years ago to apply BOP based on engine/chassis combination so for example a TOCA engine in a Civic would be treated differently to a TOCA engine in a VW.
I would have thought that would would be the only way to do this. any oter way would be totally unfair.
Old 25 Jan 2021, 13:39 (Ref:4031113)   #1827
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If that is the case, it explains why BTC would want to switch to the TOCA engine. Dynamics were supposedly running some upgrades during 2020 which BTC didn't want, if the upgrades gave a significant improvement which then results in a slight boost reduction, BTC end up with a much slower car. By being the only team with the FK8 + TOCA engine, it is only their success which determines boost levels.
Old 25 Jan 2021, 13:54 (Ref:4031115)   #1828
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee View Post
By being the only team with the FK8 + TOCA engine, it is only their success which determines boost levels.
Maybe it's a genius move to have Crees and Edwards then! They'll be down the back of the grid, indirectly giving Josh loads of boost
Old 25 Jan 2021, 14:08 (Ref:4031119)   #1829
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
I really dislike the different boost levels that different cars are allowed. Most of the gimmicks used in the BTCC to make the racing closer and more exciting do that without being unfair, such as reverse grids and success ballast, because it mostly punishes all the title contenders equally. However, different boost levels just doesn't seem fair to me as one title contender can be given a much greater boost reduction than the other.
Old 25 Jan 2021, 14:19 (Ref:4031121)   #1830
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post
I really dislike the different boost levels that different cars are allowed. Most of the gimmicks used in the BTCC to make the racing closer and more exciting do that without being unfair, such as reverse grids and success ballast, because it mostly punishes all the title contenders equally. However, different boost levels just doesn't seem fair to me as one title contender can be given a much greater boost reduction than the other.
they dont have different boost levels for each car
all toca engines run the same boost as each other toca engine
all civic engines run the same boost as each other civic
all 3 series engines run the same boost as each other 3 series
all focus engines run the same boost as each other focus

very simple
Old 25 Jan 2021, 14:53 (Ref:4031124)   #1831
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
I seem to recall the regs were changed a few years ago to apply BOP based on engine/chassis combination so for example a TOCA engine in a Civic would be treated differently to a TOCA engine in a VW.
I don't think that is the case.
When the 3-series was subject to bop measures in 2019, Parker's 1series was also affected.
The measures were applied to the engine, regardless of chassis.
Old 25 Jan 2021, 15:09 (Ref:4031128)   #1832
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
By each car I meant the Civic was allowed a different amount of boost to the Focus which is allowed a different amount of boost to the 3 series. I remember in 2012 the Honda Civic was the best car by far, so it was given a boost reduction and all the Hondas really struggled in Silverstone, while Plato's MG was allowed more boost and won two races. I think it would have been unfair if that had given Plato the title over one of the Hondas, when Team Dynamics had built the best car/driver combination and deserved it.
Old 25 Jan 2021, 15:23 (Ref:4031133)   #1833
AmD Tuning
Rookie

AmD Tuning should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
they dont have different boost levels for each car
all toca engines run the same boost as each other toca engine
all civic engines run the same boost as each other civic
all 3 series engines run the same boost as each other 3 series
all focus engines run the same boost as each other focus

very simple
This is correct.
Old 25 Jan 2021, 15:24 (Ref:4031134)   #1834
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
By each car I meant the Civic was allowed a different amount of boost to the Focus which is allowed a different amount of boost to the 3 series. I remember in 2012 the Honda Civic was the best car by far, so it was given a boost reduction and all the Hondas really struggled in Silverstone, while Plato's MG was allowed more boost and won two races. I think it would have been unfair if that had given Plato the title over one of the Hondas, when Team Dynamics had built the best car/driver combination and deserved it.
back in those days boost was also changed on lap time calculation

now its just a boost limit for each type of engine and thats it
Old 25 Jan 2021, 17:31 (Ref:4031150)   #1835
RED55
Racer

Sweden
Banbury
RED55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Of course in the Toca bus sits a big control panel , a bit like a DJs mixing table , it controls the track limits sensors, the weather, the boost, the reverse grid and the ride height roller .................... its being upgraded for 22 to include a remote hybrid push to pass function .

But all the teams have had a go on it at some point, its just that some made the most if it and others didnt

thats entertainment
Old 25 Jan 2021, 18:09 (Ref:4031153)   #1836
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Problem is if you don't equalise performance with such a spec set of parts the logical conclusion is everyone would end up running the same car which would do far more damage to the series than the odd race where the boost calculations may look wrong to the fans.
Old 25 Jan 2021, 19:07 (Ref:4031165)   #1837
BTCC frog
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnoyedMoose View Post
Problem is if you don't equalise performance with such a spec set of parts the logical conclusion is everyone would end up running the same car which would do far more damage to the series than the odd race where the boost calculations may look wrong to the fans.
Fair enough. Consider me proved wrong. I do think the boost calculations are much better now than they’ve been in the past.
Old 26 Jan 2021, 11:49 (Ref:4031267)   #1838
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I agree that the boost levels can be a bit too random and that the regs are fine enough as they are that they don’t need that boost level reduction. For me the problem is, is that it isn’t ‘set’ like success ballast is

Another thing that got me was what they did to RWD cars start advantage last year. Of course it’s good to have cars of equal performance, but you still need cars with different sttrengths and weaknesses, because if you try to equalise all the same areas, it won’t help the racing
Old 26 Jan 2021, 19:09 (Ref:4031335)   #1839
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
I have always found racing can be very interesting in near identical cars; the Minis this year and Clips previously have been more enjoyable to watch than the main event on many occasions. Keeping the BTCC cars closely matched is good as far as I'm concerned.

At the other end of the scale, F1, it is literally just a question of how much Hamilton wins by. Unless he makes a screw up or the team screw something up that lad will win pretty much. Good for his trophy cabinet maker but does nothing for me.
Old 27 Jan 2021, 06:51 (Ref:4031410)   #1840
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Confirmed in today's M News, it is Butcher and Smelt in the Speedworks Toyotas.
Old 27 Jan 2021, 07:44 (Ref:4031413)   #1841
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Good move in getting Butcher. Smelt didn't exactly do anything of note in 2018, despite having a full season to show what he could do. Let's see if he manages to improve
Old 27 Jan 2021, 08:12 (Ref:4031420)   #1842
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sam has a loooot of work to do...
Old 27 Jan 2021, 08:32 (Ref:4031421)   #1843
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
One season with little prior experience and in a pretty meh car. Give the lad a chance
Old 27 Jan 2021, 08:38 (Ref:4031423)   #1844
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
One season with little prior experience and in a pretty meh car. Give the lad a chance
Counting two seasons of BGT too.
Old 27 Jan 2021, 08:39 (Ref:4031424)   #1845
Overboost
Racer

Overboost should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOverboost should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Hopefully Sam will put some effort and work to learn touring cars rather than just trying to rely on talent and expect to do okay this time.
Old 27 Jan 2021, 09:30 (Ref:4031431)   #1846
Jiiiiiiim
Veteran

England
Devon
Jiiiiiiim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
Hopefully Sam will put some effort and work to learn touring cars rather than just trying to rely on talent and expect to do okay this time.
I think that’s alluded too by what Christian Dick says in his interview, that he’s matured & developed. So hopefully we’ll see a better season from Sam at his 2nd attempt.
Old 27 Jan 2021, 09:48 (Ref:4031436)   #1847
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well the lineup doesn't look quite as impressive as many of us had hoped but it was easy to predict that none of these great expectations would come to fruition.
Butcher should be a genuine title contender, hopefully he'll be able to back off a little when needed.
I hope Smelt will be able to develop and move higher and higher in the order. He's not Andy Neate after all!
Old 27 Jan 2021, 10:42 (Ref:4031450)   #1848
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
TeamCarDriverNotes

Confirmed Entries   
Power MaxedVauxhall AstraPlato(Re-)Confirmed in press release
Power MaxedVauxhall Astra???(Re-)Confirmed in press release
Team DynamicsHonda Civic FK8CammishConfirmed in press release
Team DynamicsHonda Civic FK8Shedden/Neal?Confirmed in press release, Neal talked about options away from racing and trying to get a deal for Flash
Autobrite (HARD./BMR)Cupra LeonGoffConfirmed in press release
Autobrite (HARD./BMR)Cupra LeonGeddieConfirmed in press release
HARD./BMRCupra LeonTaylor-SmithConfirmed in press release
HARD./BMRCupra Leon???Confirmed in press release
Laser Tools (HARD./BMR)Infiniti Q50MoffatConfirmed in press release
Laser Tools (HARD./BMR)Infiniti Q50SuttonConfirmed in press release
Laser Tools (HARD./BMR)Infiniti Q50BoardleyConfirmed in press release
Ciceley MotorsportBMW 330iMorganConfirmed in press release
Ciceley MotorsportBMW 330iChiltonConfirmed in press release
EXCELR8 Trade Price CarsHyundai i30SmileyConfirmed in press release
EXCELR8 Trade Price CarsHyundai i30ButelConfirmed in press release
EXCELR8 Trade Price Cars (Ginsters?)Hyundai i30IngramConfirmed in press release
EXCELR8 Trade Price Cars (Ginsters?)Hyundai i30???Confirmed in press release
MB Motorsport accelerated by Blue SquareFord FocusHillConfirmed in press release
MB Motorsport accelerated by Blue SquareFord FocusO.Jackson?Rumours of car/driver connected to Motorbase/Hollamby
Motorbase (AmD)Ford FocusNeate? Confirmed in press release
Motorbase (AmD)Ford FocusOsborne? Confirmed in press release – Osborne family involved with purchase of team
WSRBMW 330iJelley?Parker no longer on grid
WSRBMW 330iOliphant?Reported in motorsport.com as a confirmed 3-car entry
WSRBMW 330i???Reported in motorsport.com as a confirmed 3-car entry
BTC RacingHonda Civic FK8CookConfirmed in press release
BTC RacingHonda Civic FK8Crees Confirmed in press release
BTC RacingHonda Civic FK8Edwards Confirmed in press release
SpeedworksToyota CorollaButcherConfirmed in press release
SpeedworksToyota CorollaSmeltConfirmed in press release

Likely Entries   
??????RowbottomIn this very thread from the driver!
??????ProctorTalk of ‘deal being done’

Possible Entries   
??????Parfitt JrPublicising an attempt to be on the grid

Entries with doubt   
Team DynamicsHonda Civic FK8???Intention for 3rd car reported in MN - depending on TBL

All entries could be marked '*' due to COVID   
Old 27 Jan 2021, 11:22 (Ref:4031458)   #1849
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
so the only title protagonist left to be confirmed is Colin Turkington ...
Old 27 Jan 2021, 11:51 (Ref:4031464)   #1850
Robshillito1990
Racer

Robshillito1990 is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
so the only title protagonist left to be confirmed is Colin Turkington ...
He will be there. Along with Oliphant who has been posting on twitter about how good the bmw m5 was in the snow. Just wondering who will drive the 3rd car. Could be anyone.