Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 17 Dec 2012, 02:53 (Ref:3179338)   #1876
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
That cockpit is gonna have to be moved back on the real car compared to the render.

Looks like a Land Speed Record car.
Old 17 Dec 2012, 06:32 (Ref:3179365)   #1877
deltawing
Racer

deltawing should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddeltawing should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hi Matt,

How much further back do you think it needs to move? I was using the initial single sitter for reference, see them here next to each other, with the red circle being the driver's helmet. Here:

Is the windshield going to be more upright? I guess we have to wait and see what the real thing is going to be, but is fun exploring.

Cheers.

Old 17 Dec 2012, 14:38 (Ref:3179471)   #1878
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltawing View Post
Hi Matt,

How much further back do you think it needs to move? I was using the initial single sitter for reference, see them here next to each other, with the red circle being the driver's helmet. Here:

Is the windshield going to be more upright? I guess we have to wait and see what the real thing is going to be, but is fun exploring.

Cheers.

A Racing for Holland entry.
Old 17 Dec 2012, 17:28 (Ref:3179507)   #1879
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
A Racing for Holland entry.
I used to route them on, the little team that could, with their Dome. One year the black and white boxes were shaped to make the car look like a soccer ball. World Cup year maybe? Last time I remember seeing Jan race was 2008 with Horag in the RS Spyder.

Sorry for the OT.
Old 17 Dec 2012, 18:04 (Ref:3179519)   #1880
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
That cockpit is gonna have to be moved back on the real car compared to the render.

Looks like a Land Speed Record car.
Why does the cockpit have to be moved back?
Old 17 Dec 2012, 18:08 (Ref:3179521)   #1881
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
I used to route them on, the little team that could, with their Dome. One year the black and white boxes were shaped to make the car look like a soccer ball. World Cup year maybe?
Off topic:
That year they were tied with the Johan Cruijff foundation, the charity organisation of Holland's greatest football player of all time (also biggest ego of all time ). They had startnumber 14, his worldfamous number at Ajax, and the money for the two biggest sponsorplaces to be auctioned of, went to the JC foundation.

Last edited by vincegail; 17 Dec 2012 at 18:14.
Old 17 Dec 2012, 22:55 (Ref:3179620)   #1882
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A pair of silly questions from someone who wishes he had more time to stay up to date on these things, but it's that time of the year (not to be confused with that time of the month, which just so happens to transpire every time HORNDAWG replies to one of my posts...sorry, LP ):

1. Does Nissan have exclusivity on the DeltaWing? Just playing with the suggestion that the coupe is for Dempsey, as it may be, would it be possible to use a Skyactiv-D engine in it? I'd find that really cool, but I don't know the feasibility of it all.

2. Did we ever find out if DeltaWing was going to be a homologated LMP2, or a separate class? I'm assuming that we did, since cars are being ordered, and I just missed it.

Cheers.
Old 17 Dec 2012, 23:28 (Ref:3179637)   #1883
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jacques, Nissan is just a sponsorship arrangement and an engine supplier for last season, which is why I speculated Dempsey may be the coupe customer. It is not homologated to any class although the tub is a Aston AMR-One, homlogated as a P1. I would bet it will be included in "P2" which can deviate from LMP2. The LMPC teams would likely cry foul it is was bunched with them.
Old 18 Dec 2012, 18:50 (Ref:3179852)   #1884
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Jacques, Nissan is just a sponsorship arrangement and an engine supplier for last season, which is why I speculated Dempsey may be the coupe customer. It is not homologated to any class although the tub is a Aston AMR-One, homlogated as a P1. I would bet it will be included in "P2" which can deviate from LMP2. The LMPC teams would likely cry foul it is was bunched with them.
Right, thanks. I liked your speculation; I think it's an interesting idea and it makes sense to me.

Rephrased: when the ALMS homologate DeltaWing as a chassis, what engines will be allowed to run in it? It would seem inequitable, or at least entirely of a different purpose, if DeltaWing could plop any P2 motor in it. That's where I was trying to go and didn't phrase clearly.

I guess it would depend on whether there's an intention for a pure-spec DeltaWing class, an intention for a wide-open DeltaWing experimental class, or an intention to run these cars as LMP2s.

A Mazda Skyactiv-D DeltaWing coupe would make me absolutely thrilled because I always root for the Mazdas, and the DeltaWing is my favorite car. I just don't know if it would be legal, but I guess we have to see the details of DeltaWing's pending homologation.
Old 18 Dec 2012, 20:49 (Ref:3179880)   #1885
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
I really hope the Deltawing is grouped with the P2 cars, not a spec class. Part of the point of it was smaller displacement, less horsepower, so not sure how they would balance the Mazda diesel as well as the Nissan 1.6L w/ the P2 cars? Sure would be neat to see it with different powerplants though. They might be smart to cater to Mazda as they are one of the manufacturers supporting both series, albeit on a small scale. More manufacturers involved the proto classes is a positive for the long term success of the new series.
Old 18 Dec 2012, 21:23 (Ref:3179893)   #1886
deltawing
Racer

deltawing should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddeltawing should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They don't even have to wait for Mazda to get involved later. Nissan make a great turbo diesel, named M9R. It is 2.0 engine, 4 cyl. and it goes into variety of cars. In one of the versions it is offered at 180 HP in stock form. I would guess if Nissan wanted to experiment with a diesel in the DW car, they could make it happen before anyone else. It would make such an interesting racing machine.
Old 18 Dec 2012, 22:06 (Ref:3179911)   #1887
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Nissan is just a sponsorship arrangement and an engine supplier for last season.
Without going through the torture of rereading this thread, I thought the engine used was a bespoke design by RML that sourced noyhing from Nissan ('sept money)?
Old 19 Dec 2012, 08:00 (Ref:3180007)   #1888
optica
Racer

United Kingdom
Bucks
optica should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridoptica should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridoptica should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The purpose of the DeltaWing was to achieve what it does using no more than 300bhp so I guess that sets the parameter for any other power unit that might be used, whatever its capacity. I hope that running the DW(s) in with P2 during 2013 will only be a stepping stone for a proper LMP Eco class with 500kg, 300bhp, 4 wheels & freedom for maximum innovation that might be in place for 2014. For those convinced that a full width fronted car can match the DW for performance will then have a chance to prove it.
Old 19 Dec 2012, 08:41 (Ref:3180018)   #1889
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by optica View Post
The purpose of the DeltaWing was to achieve what it does using no more than 300bhp so I guess that sets the parameter for any other power unit that might be used, whatever its capacity. I hope that running the DW(s) in with P2 during 2013 will only be a stepping stone for a proper LMP Eco class with 500kg, 300bhp, 4 wheels & freedom for maximum innovation that might be in place for 2014. For those convinced that a full width fronted car can match the DW for performance will then have a chance to prove it.
Yes, now you are talking!
Old 19 Dec 2012, 08:55 (Ref:3180020)   #1890
lms
Veteran

lms should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
that would certainly kill off the most popular class at le mans (because of rising costs), the aco would be stupid to do this. the lmp eco class is called lmp1. keep this bull**** car in grand am. just because they destroyed a once great championship in na doesnt mean they have to do the same with a currently very popular class. I hope the new p2 regs will stay close to the current ones.
Old 19 Dec 2012, 09:43 (Ref:3180025)   #1891
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
The new p1 rules aren't revolutionary. Slightly less narrow cars. Only 50kg less weight. Hybrid power not increased as much as possible. Aero rules still overbody biased etc. A concept like the dw is cool even if not eye pleasing. 700kg cars with even 500hp and the hybrid drives would be a huge difference. Guess we'll have to wait another 4+ years to see where it goes.
Old 19 Dec 2012, 10:27 (Ref:3180034)   #1892
Durandal7
Rookie

United States
Seattle, WA
Durandal7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I hope that running the DW(s) in with P2 during 2013 will only be a stepping stone for a proper LMP Eco class with 500kg, 300bhp, 4 wheels & freedom for maximum innovation that might be in place for 2014. For those convinced that a full width fronted car can match the DW for performance will then have a chance to prove it.
I'd say replace the 300hp limit with a maximum fuel flow per second limit(with energy equivalent limits for alternative fuels) to encourage development of more efficient powerplants, but otherwise that would be pretty much perfect.
Old 19 Dec 2012, 11:16 (Ref:3180045)   #1893
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lms View Post
that would certainly kill off the most popular class at le mans (because of rising costs), the aco would be stupid to do this. the lmp eco class is called lmp1. keep this bull**** car in grand am. just because they destroyed a once great championship in na doesnt mean they have to do the same with a currently very popular class. I hope the new p2 regs will stay close to the current ones.
the DW isn't a Grand-Am car...
Old 19 Dec 2012, 11:48 (Ref:3180050)   #1894
lms
Veteran

lms should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
the DW isn't a Grand-Am car...
it will most likely race in the "merged" series in '14. i call it grand am for now because most likely the top class will be dp.
Old 19 Dec 2012, 12:48 (Ref:3180063)   #1895
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
The new p1 rules aren't revolutionary. Slightly less narrow cars. Only 50kg less weight. Hybrid power not increased as much as possible. Aero rules still overbody biased etc.
You are forgetting completely free engine rules and the allowance of two hybrid systems, operating on both axles of the car
Old 19 Dec 2012, 13:23 (Ref:3180070)   #1896
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
Without going through the torture of rereading this thread, I thought the engine used was a bespoke design by RML that sourced noyhing from Nissan ('sept money)?
I'm not sure on the details of the deal but I thought Nissan parts may have been used. There might be some more technical info on Highcrofts website or in the articles written by Gordon Kirby.
Old 19 Dec 2012, 20:29 (Ref:3180142)   #1897
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
You are forgetting completely free engine rules and the allowance of two hybrid systems, operating on both axles of the car
No. I didnt forget that. Its great but with a fuel flow restriction we can already guess what the engines will be... small. Thats not a drastic change, bud. We all saw it coming.
Old 19 Dec 2012, 20:31 (Ref:3180143)   #1898
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Mike Fuller's suggesting a new engine is being developed for the DeltaWing.

All this DeltaWing stuff leads me to believe someone somewhere knows more about its future than I do. Maybe it's the top class for 2014.
Old 22 Dec 2012, 05:23 (Ref:3181006)   #1899
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Hear hear!
Old 22 Dec 2012, 09:01 (Ref:3181035)   #1900
deltawing
Racer

DeltaWing Barchetta - Autocrosser?

Have been thinking these past few days about how would the DeltaWing work as a more simplified concept. How is a car with that precise layout, wheel position and weight distribution work if we were to remove the ground effect and any other down force generating features?....

For example, what if we make a tubular chassis that carries similar suspension geometry, similar tires size (let's pretend we can find tires similar to the sizes in use of the original DW car) and then let's say we put some batteries at the back where the internal combustion engine usually would be, we also use an electric motor and so we get an Electric DeltaWing "Barchetta", which could do with no problem some 30 - 50 seconds Autocross stints?

At that point the DeltaWing will become just DeltaCar as let's say we are not going to use any engineered-in ground effect. So, is this DeltaCar work in the above scenario better than similarly equipped, but more ordinarily sized car?

Or to ask the question in a different way: how much of the capabilities of the DeltaWing car (in cornering power/stability/handling balance) come from the ground effect it generates in its original design and how much could we expect from a DeltaCar with no ground effect? This always in comparison to a more conventional car with more even weight distribution and more equal track width.

Here some very quick shots to illustrate better what such DeltaCar Barchetta could look like - just conceptually, so please don't judge the lack of details or the incorrect positioning/execution of the parts, etc.....

This is what the tubular chassis could look like, it is made in a way that the car has the exact same wheel base/track width:

Here is a simple fiberglass body that will perhaps simply drop over the chassis, but for simplicity it could be completely separated from the rear fenders, so the car can just go as shown here:

Here is another shot from the rear, with the fenders on (let's call them fenders for now) and the main body removed. The rear "trunk" space is this large basket for the batteries, motor, etc. I am not sure how to size the batteries for such application, so this space could grow or get smaller. Either way there is plenty space in the rear is long range is not needed:

Here is a little gallery in full screen in some vibrant colors and with all the fiberglass on (give it some time to load as the images are quite large):

http://www.aliasguy.com/DW-Barchetta/index.html

There are certain angles from which this thing looks quite interesting with just the roll cage sticking out, little bit wider central section of the rear and all the rest above the shoulders being gone...

So, what do you gentlemen think? Could this work better than a conventional (wide front track) built and be a kicker as an Autocrosser on relatively slow and tight courses?

Cheers.