Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 31 Jan 2021, 14:35 (Ref:4032490)   #1926
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Indeed. It's not like RWD cars haven't got disadvantages. In my view the cars that are developed best are on top, whether they are FWD or RWD
Old 31 Jan 2021, 14:52 (Ref:4032501)   #1927
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Indeed. It's not like RWD cars haven't got disadvantages. In my view the cars that are developed best are on top, whether they are FWD or RWD
The RWD has two huge advantages. Start line traction and traction out of slow corners. The latter can be offset to some degree with the benefits of FWD in other corner types assuming (unlikely) an equal spread of corner types.

The start line advantage is a different kettle of fish though. There's nothing an FWD car can do to combat losing multiple places off the line if there are no RWD equalising measures in place.
Old 31 Jan 2021, 15:09 (Ref:4032508)   #1928
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
RWD also has the advantage of better tyre management, while FWD has the advantage of getting tyres up to temperature more quickly.

Another big disadvantage of RWD cars is that they cannot save slides as easily as FWD cars, and they are more likely to spin if hit from behind.

An idea I had for a possible reason why RWD get so many handicaps is that a field of FWD cars usually has much better racing than a field of RWD cars (see Clio Cup/Mini Challenge vs Ginettas/Porsches). Therefore, Alan Gow does not want to see the BTCC become a predominantly RWD series; he would rather it remained predominantly FWD. The best way to do that is to handicap RWD so that, for most teams, FWD is the better option and the majority of the field remain in FWD cars.
Old 31 Jan 2021, 16:23 (Ref:4032552)   #1929
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
fact is the last FWD champion was Shedden in 2016 ...
Old 31 Jan 2021, 16:44 (Ref:4032568)   #1930
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
That may be true - but when was the last time a FWD was not in contention for the title?

5 different cars in 5 years suggests nothing needs to change.....
Old 31 Jan 2021, 18:12 (Ref:4032596)   #1931
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
The amount of measures that have been imposed on RWD cars in order to "balance the field" is as long as my arm. In past decades the RWD cars have been 5-7% heavier and that was seemingly enough to balance things out (both supertouring and S2000 had RWD cars between 25-50kg heavier than FWD). I *think* the current NGTC RWD penalty is 30kg, then you add on whatever success ballast, so therefore the max weight a RWD car can be over a FWD is near 100kg. If a team / car / driver can't get near a car which is 100kg heavier, then there is something wrong with the opposition, because 100kg is a lot of weight to have to lug around.
Old 31 Jan 2021, 18:14 (Ref:4032597)   #1932
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
With all this discussion about the standard of the BTCC drivers at the moment, one thing that confuses me is why drivers from the WTCR aren't more inclined to switch to the BTCC. There are plenty of really good drivers in WTCR, and the overall standard is probably a bit better than the BTCC. However, the races are just so dull compared to BTCC races (I will admit I haven't seen that many, but the ones I have seen were nowhere near as good as BTCC races). If I was a top-class touring car driver from WTCR, I would definitely want to make the switch and drive in the BTCC instead, as I'm sure it is far more enjoyable to have close races with lots of overtaking and exciting battles.
Old 31 Jan 2021, 18:23 (Ref:4032603)   #1933
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post
With all this discussion about the standard of the BTCC drivers at the moment, one thing that confuses me is why drivers from the WTCR aren't more inclined to switch to the BTCC. There are plenty of really good drivers in WTCR, and the overall standard is probably a bit better than the BTCC. However, the races are just so dull compared to BTCC races (I will admit I haven't seen that many, but the ones I have seen were nowhere near as good as BTCC races). If I was a top-class touring car driver from WTCR, I would definitely want to make the switch and drive in the BTCC instead, as I'm sure it is far more enjoyable to have close races with lots of overtaking and exciting battles.
I think the short answer is money.
Old 31 Jan 2021, 18:46 (Ref:4032613)   #1934
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
Yes, and forgive my memory here as I recollect

Sheds was also champion in 2015.

I think it was Colin RWD in 14.

FWD AJ in 13.

JP in the Chevy was 11 (or 10) and I'm sure Matt had a championship there or thereabouts.

The RWD "dominance" isn't. It's been the talented Turks in one of the best ever BTCC teams and young Ash Sutton who has a Senna like gift. Sutton won his titles despite the car I suspect, rather than because of it.
Old 31 Jan 2021, 19:03 (Ref:4032624)   #1935
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User is flirting with disqualificationpeebee2 User is flirting with disqualification
Quote:
Because one is a World Championship and they get paid.

The other one is a National Championship and they don’t.

If they have sponsors it depends which suits there needs best.

But world is always more prestigious to drive in and win.
Old 31 Jan 2021, 19:42 (Ref:4032650)   #1936
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Exactly, as was said, the reason is money. Yes, the WTCR field is definitely better than the BTCC, no doubt and yes, BTCC is more exciting and has a legendar status, contrary to WTCR. So it'd be ideal to see WTCR drivers in the BTCC but not only do the WTCR drivers are paid to drive (at least much more of them than in BTCC) but also for a potential sponsor it's way more reasonable to put money into 'World' championship because it gives prestige, a greater exposure = brand awareness etc. The sponsors don't care if the WTCR is not as exciting as BTCC.
Old 1 Feb 2021, 12:02 (Ref:4032770)   #1937
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
The simple answer: outside UK nobody really cares about BTCC. For sponsors WTCR and TCR Europe are more interesting.
Old 1 Feb 2021, 13:13 (Ref:4032781)   #1938
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
The simple answer: outside UK nobody really cares about BTCC. For sponsors WTCR and TCR Europe are more interesting.
If that were true how come the WORLDWIDE TV ratings for BTCC are higher?
Old 1 Feb 2021, 13:34 (Ref:4032786)   #1939
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
WTCR Cumulative TV audience 2020 - 506 million
BTCC Cumulative TV audience 2020 - 500 million

Why shout 'WORLDWIDE'?
Old 1 Feb 2021, 13:35 (Ref:4032787)   #1940
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Are they? Last time I saw BTCC TV figures it was for 'global reach' or some such nonsense. Roughly translated it was the number of people who had access to a TV channel that showed BTCC and therefore could watch it. That's very different from the number who actually did watch it.
Old 1 Feb 2021, 13:35 (Ref:4032788)   #1941
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
BTCC Cumulative TV audience 2020 - 500 million

Why shout 'WORLDWIDE'?
You're both fools if you believe either of those figures.
Old 1 Feb 2021, 13:35 (Ref:4032789)   #1942
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
BTCC Cumulative TV audience 2020 - 500 million:
To be fair, there's zero difference in that.
Old 1 Feb 2021, 13:38 (Ref:4032790)   #1943
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
You're both fools if you believe either of those figures.
Well - that's what promoters of each series claim is their reach!
Old 1 Feb 2021, 13:38 (Ref:4032792)   #1944
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
To be fair, there's zero difference in that.
Agreed - definitely not enough to claim BTCC is higher than WTCR for certain.....
Old 1 Feb 2021, 13:41 (Ref:4032794)   #1945
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Are they? Last time I saw BTCC TV figures it was for 'global reach' or some such nonsense. Roughly translated it was the number of people who had access to a TV channel that showed BTCC and therefore could watch it. That's very different from the number who actually did watch it.
Lately - the BTCC figure is based on the number of subscribers to a motorsport streaming service. The number who actually watch BTCC will be a lot lower - so it won't be mentioned in promotional material.
Old 1 Feb 2021, 13:44 (Ref:4032796)   #1946
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Well - that's what promoters of each series claim is their reach!
"Reach" is a completely useless metric. For example, any series, such as the Blancpain GT series, that stream on Youtube could claim their reach is 4.66 billion, i.e. the number of people with internet access (of course you'd have to minus of a small amount for territories where Youtube access is restricted).
Old 1 Feb 2021, 14:22 (Ref:4032806)   #1947
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
BTCC were claiming an ITV audience of 25 million four years ago. That's obviously not reached in the same way as mainstream viewing figures as it would be the most watched TV show in the UK. Presumably they're adding up total views which obviously counts the same people over and over.
Old 1 Feb 2021, 14:25 (Ref:4032809)   #1948
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnoyedMoose View Post
BTCC were claiming an ITV audience of 25 million four years ago. That's obviously not reached in the same way as mainstream viewing figures as it would be the most watched TV show in the UK. Presumably they're adding up total views which obviously counts the same people over and over.
the figure is for a whole season not per race
Old 1 Feb 2021, 14:25 (Ref:4032810)   #1949
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Colin Turkington has scheduled a YouTube live stream for 7.30 pm on 3rd February. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q94tZGUF1B8
Old 1 Feb 2021, 14:38 (Ref:4032814)   #1950
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnoyedMoose View Post
They've dropped that to 19 million recently.