Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 24 Sep 2003, 12:38 (Ref:728671)   #176
goforit500
Veteran

goforit500 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Me...But as a (hopefully not(!)) potential customer....
Old 24 Sep 2003, 17:31 (Ref:728914)   #177
Scallywag
Rookie

Scallywag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry I can't make it.

All tied up.

P.S. What did Vicky B. Henderson say to you on Sunday?
Old 25 Sep 2003, 10:50 (Ref:729586)   #178
Ian Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford
Ian Lewis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE
P.S. What did Vicky B. Henderson say to you on Sunday? [/B][/QUOTE]

I had a very quick conversation with Vicky and I can't tell you what she said cos its personal.

Ask Vicky!

Ian
Old 25 Sep 2003, 11:15 (Ref:729606)   #179
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Ian Lewis
I had a very quick conversation with Vicky and I can't tell you what she said cos its personal.

Ask Vicky!
She probably said something like "B***er off, I'm a celebrity.....go and annoy someone else"
Old 25 Sep 2003, 14:01 (Ref:729759)   #180
Ian Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford
Quote:
Originally posted by observer
She probably said something like "B***er off, I'm a celebrity.....go and annoy someone else"
Cheers Mate !

It was,nt quite like that, but I am waiting for some news before I start a thread.

Keep guessing...

Ian
Old 25 Sep 2003, 14:04 (Ref:729763)   #181
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
...."What's a guy like YOU doing at a place like THIS?".....
Old 25 Sep 2003, 14:30 (Ref:729783)   #182
Ian Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford
Wearing a Romper suit !!
Old 29 Sep 2003, 08:59 (Ref:733769)   #183
Ian Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford
So after the BTCC meeting where we had 125 marshals sign on for the Sunday.

Oulton Park was down to just 44 marshals for the same Island circuit.
From what I saw I think the racing was far better at this clubbie meet.
Ian
Old 29 Sep 2003, 09:03 (Ref:733771)   #184
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Ian, take a look at the "Marshal of the Event" thread. That might give you an idea why people might think twice about going to Oulton.

I know after reading a couple of posts there, I certainly would.

I'm not interested in going to any circuit where the attitude I'm going to encounter is "oh yeah you're here now but where were you last week", particularly in light of how far I have to travel to go to a UK circuit and how much it costs.

It's hard to see how any UK marshal who doesn't live locally to the circuit would feel any differently.

Last edited by EvilPumpkin; 29 Sep 2003 at 09:04.
Old 29 Sep 2003, 09:12 (Ref:733782)   #185
Ian Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford
Quote:
Originally posted by EvilPumpkin
Ian, take a look at the "Marshal of the Event" thread. That might give you an idea why people might think twice about going to Oulton.

I'm not interested in going to any circuit where the attitude I'm going to encounter is "oh yeah you're here now but where were you last week", particularly in light of how far I have to travel to go to a UK circuit and how much it costs.

It's hard to see how any UK marshal who doesn't live locally to the circuit would feel any differently.
Hi E.P.

I am not having a go at any travelling marshals.

With respect to the costs involved I take my hat off to you.

At Oulton we were missing the 'regulars' my gripe is with them.

25-30 no shows of this number 12 apols to the C.Marshal.

Ian
Old 29 Sep 2003, 10:32 (Ref:733875)   #186
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Ian, I don't believe the post I'm referring from was from you - take a look at the thread is the best bet.
Old 29 Sep 2003, 12:35 (Ref:734011)   #187
Ian Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford
Quote:
Ian, I don't believe the post I'm referring from was from you - take a look at the thread is the best bet.
I take your point E.P.

Please do not think that all Oulton marshals are like Woody

Normally we are a very nice bunch.

As for Marshal of the event. I think this is a brilliant idea but over the BTCC weekend, left 124 disapointed marshals because we are all No1.

Ian
Old 29 Sep 2003, 13:45 (Ref:734087)   #188
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

I'm sorry that you have gained that impression; let me reassure you that it ain't so. You won't find a more friendly, welcoming lot than the Oulton regulars. Think back to your trips to Anglesey - it's the same (albeit smaller!) bunch of folks. Heck, we're even nice to Bobs!

It is frustrating, though, when you go from feast to famine in the space of six days!

Last edited by Dave Brand; 29 Sep 2003 at 13:46.
Old 29 Sep 2003, 14:36 (Ref:734155)   #189
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
Hi Dave,

Yes I realise that, but I wanted to make a point. If marshals get the impression that they won't be welcomed at certain circuits because they can only attend the odd event, then there's no incentive for them to go at all.

No-one expects to get a red carpet welcome with hula girls handing out leis (chance would be a fine thing! ) but at the same time, no-one wants to travel to a circuit and then spend all day getting the feeling that they're not wanted, or are resented.

I do understand the frustration, but the only way to get people to visit more regularly is to make them feel welcome and that they are appreciated when they do visit. That will make them more inclined to make the journey for the smaller events as well as the larger ones.

Like so many things in life, first impressions are the most important.

I have said it before in threads related to gaining and retaining marshals and I will say it again - it is the job of every marshal at a circuit to make newcomers feel welcome and see they're looked after. If you can crack that, you're halfway there.

The second anyone starts feeling they have to justify why they can only do x events a year at a circuit, they'll start thinking it's not worth the hassle going at all.

Last edited by EvilPumpkin; 29 Sep 2003 at 14:36.
Old 29 Sep 2003, 16:19 (Ref:734278)   #190
Nadine J Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford, Northwich
Nadine J Lewis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I have said it before in threads related to gaining and retaining marshals and I will say it again - it is the job of every marshal at a circuit to make newcomers feel welcome and see they're looked after. If you can crack that, you're halfway there.

The second anyone starts feeling they have to justify why they can only do x events a year at a circuit, they'll start thinking it's not worth the hassle going at all.
I think a lot of the frustration is that many marshals volunteer for events and then don't turn up - and no apology either. I think that's what gets hard to take. If you can only come to one event a year then that's great - but don't say you can do them all and forget to tell the Chief Marshal when you can't come. I know there are exceptional circumstances and that can be accounted for - but don't believe this is the case for many.

We certainly make newcomers welcome and I do my best to ensure they get a good spot (and try to catch them at the end of the day to see if they had a good day ) and when they are next there - if they say next season - then that's great