Then I'm afraid I'm on the fence

Sweet
Who cares what the MSA say, go to an event and decide for yourself
Old 7 Dec 2008, 13:27 (Ref:2349548)   #177
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The MSA are very ignorant of a ,ot of motorsport

I follw short oval racing and that has thrived for along time completely independent of MSA fussing and law making.

Dont worry about it, they only force things like homologation, safety and rubbish on you, then expect you to pay silly money for a licence when you only need a few corners to race on!

I dont mind drifting, it gets a bit dull after a while, but combined with time attack and tuner stuff it makes an entertaining day.

New, different and also could possibly bring ina whole new market of Asians and people such as that into motorsport who ahvent been interested at all until now.

If promoted correctly of course!
Old 9 Dec 2008, 22:37 (Ref:2351319)   #178
Captain VXR
Racer

European Union
Bath
Captain VXR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder
New, different and also could possibly bring ina whole new market of Asians and people such as that into motorsport who ahvent been interested at all until now.

If promoted correctly of course!
It should be promoted to motorsport enthusiats, the general public, people interested in Japan, those into decently modified cars eg not the Novarghs and Spaxos what frquent car parks, like you said the asians and maybe even the black community. It also appeals to extreme sports fans
The MSA would only boringalise it with stupid engine rules eg. BTCC engines - you can get 600 reliable bhp from a Supra engine for pennies but a 300 bhp BTCC engine is not very reliable and costs a bomb
Drifting is the most exciting motorsport to see live in my opinion
Old 17 Dec 2008, 16:16 (Ref:2357054)   #179
Captain VXR
Racer

European Union
Bath
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsweety
Until is appears on here

http://www.msauk.org/site/cms/conten...sp?chapter=213

Then I'm afraid I'm on the fence

Sweet
http://www.driftworks.com/forum/drif...on-2009-a.html
Old 17 Dec 2008, 21:24 (Ref:2357252)   #180
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
The good thing I like about it is no pesky front wheel drives!
Old 20 Dec 2008, 22:31 (Ref:2359038)   #181
Captain VXR
Racer

European Union
Bath
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
The good thing I like about it is no pesky front wheel drives!
And Chevy V8s have been lumped in all sorts of drift cars as well as Corvettes being used in the USA:
http://speedhunters.com/archive/2008...vette-c5r.aspx
Old 2 Jan 2009, 23:31 (Ref:2364293)   #182
cormac190
Rookie

cormac190 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
drifting is not motor racing but it is a motorsport. simple as.
At least its something different from the norm for the motorhead.
Old 3 Jan 2009, 09:13 (Ref:2364376)   #183
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Yes I would agree with that surely the definition of motorsport is you prepare a car for a disipline and enter it thats it whether its trialing, drag racing, or any of the other none racing disiplines. Its certaionly no less a sport than that one where they negotiate a series of tight bends, back into and out of spaces etc which I cannot remember the name of, I think I would rather watch some powerful RWD cars and hear some V8's than watch converted Minis etc doing that!
Old 3 Jan 2009, 13:12 (Ref:2364480)   #184
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the sport you describe Al, sounds like Autotesting. Which I would rather watch than Drifting, so each to their own!
Old 3 Jan 2009, 13:13 (Ref:2364482)   #185
nic.v814
Racer

New Zealand
Perth
nic.v814 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of course its a sport -Competing aganist other people=Sport
Old 8 Jan 2009, 19:33 (Ref:2367851)   #186
westfieldbend
Veteran

westfieldbend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The STIG
the sport you describe Al, sounds like Autotesting. Which I would rather watch than Drifting, so each to their own!
Why would you want to watch autotesting, the entry fee for most autotests is less than the admission fee to some drifting events
Old 13 Jan 2009, 23:24 (Ref:2370995)   #187
Spanky
Rookie

Spanky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In response to the comments comparing competition drift to figure skating etc, althought this may be true for the qualifying element of a competition once you reach the tandem (tsuiso) rounds things become a bit closer to a traditional form of motorsport (i.e car vs car). As long as you are still sideways, most emphasis is placed on out driving your competitor by being as close as possible to them (or even overtaking) or pulling away from them depending on your position. Clipping points etc are less important, other elements like smoke are really just by product of the speed and horsepower necessary to pull away or close up on an opponent. At least this is the way it was in the initial Japanese pro format, in the U.S they are starting to insist on certain lines even during tandem battles, and most western competitions have a large fixation on smoke production. Usually it is fairly obvious who has won and in only in close battles are elements like angle and smoke used to seperate competitors. The tsuiso judging format has its roots in illegal touge (mountain road) racing in Japan where it's too narrow to overtake, so competitors race line astern; if the front car pulls away they win and if the rear car stays in their tail it goes the other way.

In answer to the inital thread question, if it involves motors and there is a winner then it is motorsport.
Old 14 Jan 2009, 15:22 (Ref:2371373)   #188
Eircamae86
Rookie

Eircamae86 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Motorsport or not 100+ pages, I have tried it & its fun + Cheap = Will do it again, thats why it is appealing to the younger generations. I have watched the odd vid of professional drifting since the D1 started & now have no interest in it as a sport, BHP vs BHP, the ametuer element is gone.
Old 18 Feb 2009, 13:32 (Ref:2399630)   #189
kjw
Racer

United Kingdom
East Kent
kjw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Definately a motorsport as it invoves modified cars and competition. A growing sport.
Old 27 Feb 2009, 09:17 (Ref:2405207)   #190
Big Dave
Racer

England
Gillingham
Big Dave should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
of course it is!!!!!!!!!! and a good one too!!
im an autotester so appreciate the skills and the size of your balls neeeded to drift well

J J J Jemma
Old 27 Feb 2009, 19:48 (Ref:2405607)   #191
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
As a matter of interest whats the hot tyre set up for drifting? I was thinking prehaps a nice sticky tyre on the front with some worn out hard old things on the back, is that the way to go?
Old 27 Feb 2009, 19:59 (Ref:2405615)   #192
Captain VXR
Racer

European Union
Bath
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
As a matter of interest whats the hot tyre set up for drifting? I was thinking prehaps a nice sticky tyre on the front with some worn out hard old things on the back, is that the way to go?
Track tyres allround at professional, over inflated worn tyres for beginners
D1GP had to ban slicks!
Old 28 Feb 2009, 09:08 (Ref:2405942)   #193
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I would'nt mind turning up with the IROC for one of these meetings for the craic, I have stacks of old tyres mounted on rims. Do you recon 470bhp rear wheel drive V8 will cut it :-)
Old 6 Jun 2009, 21:06 (Ref:2476664)   #194
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
At Lydden last time out there was the ability with each car to "lock" the offside rear wheel coming into Paddock, making the "drift" simple; After 3 laps.....yawn...zz
Old 6 Jun 2009, 21:07 (Ref:2476666)   #195
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
I would'nt mind turning up with the IROC for one of these meetings for the craic, I have stacks of old tyres mounted on rims. Do you recon 470bhp rear wheel drive V8 will cut it :-)

AL; Youd crack em all; plus shoot a few of these "boys" off the track..
Old 10 Oct 2009, 13:22 (Ref:2558175)   #196
Teggers
Rookie

United Kingdom
Devonshire
Teggers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just have to stick my oar in

Surely the understood definition of "motorsport" involves "powered vehicles in a competitive envoronment". As long as there is a winner at the end of the event then it is classified as a sport as it is a competition. (DARTS is a sport but you don't have to be in peak physical condtion to play!)

With regard to drifting and the definition of "motorsport", then yes, it is indeed motorsport as it involves cars with engines in a competitive envronment. Is it motor-racing? No. Its not the quickest round the track that wins (although this is often the case) it is judged on other things then outright speed.

In response to some of the rather childish comments about chavs, neons and other related matter, I have some good friends who drift, one who is going for his BDC licence this year. There are no neon tubes under his car, he does not have a humungous bank balance, he does not (yet) have a sponsor and has built his car himself in his garage around his family and work life and I have never once heard him say "innit?". He has been on track with some of the pro drifters and has come very close to their standard on occasion - enough to get commented on by them that he could be one to watch. He's also the most down-to-earth guy you could hope to meet and often takes passengers out on track (both me and my other half have been out.

In conclusion, (before I turn this into even more of an essay that it already it!) Drifting is a motorsport but it is not motor racing and thus I think it should be included on here. Anyway, most of the drifters and people interested in it are already on driftworks forum!
Old 10 Oct 2009, 13:38 (Ref:2558181)   #197
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't see how anyone can argue that it is not motorsport although I dare say as this thread develops I might find out! Having said that it (along with drag racing and NASCAR) leaves me cold and excites no interest whatsoever but then my interests in motorsport revolve mainly around F1 and hillclimb which are not everyone's cup of tea either.
Old 10 Oct 2009, 14:51 (Ref:2558204)   #198
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Whats the best set up, stick on a set of tyres that dont grip too well or what?
Old 10 Oct 2009, 15:27 (Ref:2558220)   #199
rich_cooper
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottinghamshire
rich_cooper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im a drifting fan and i massive motorsport fan.

For me drifting is NOT motor racing

But

it IS motorsport.

I dont see how people can say its not!
Old 11 Oct 2009, 20:25 (Ref:2559176)   #200
brands hatch
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kent
brands hatch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having been to two or three drifting 'events' i can say that it does seem attract a different crowd. It is a matter of personal opinion, drifting and 'proper' motor-racing are completely different. IMO it is motorsport, but not motor-racing.

do i like it?.... It offers something different to your usual circuit racing . It does involve skill, balancing throttle etc etc etc....but i for one...am more of a RACING fan