Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 4 Feb 2015, 04:48 (Ref:3500705)   #176
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Looks tasty, I'm guessing its going to be in the $60k range.

I'd like to drive the current Focus, I owned a 2005 model and it was nice to drive, but strangely has absolutely no space inside. No storage for ANYTHING, despite being externally the same size as the Golf that I also own!
Old 4 Feb 2015, 07:39 (Ref:3500724)   #177
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Looks tasty, I'm guessing its going to be in the $60k range.

I'd like to drive the current Focus, I owned a 2005 model and it was nice to drive, but strangely has absolutely no space inside. No storage for ANYTHING, despite being externally the same size as the Golf that I also own!
Yes, I remember you saying that before.

The new AWD turbo one may be a rival for the EVO........what do you think?
Old 4 Feb 2015, 08:28 (Ref:3500740)   #178
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Evo is about to be knocked on the head, with no replacement on the horizon.
Old 7 Feb 2015, 02:09 (Ref:3502180)   #179
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was talking to a Ford salesperson the other day while looking over the new FGX XR8, and we both said in chorus that because of barrels of oil being relativity cheap and the Aussie dollar slipping, when it comes to the time both Holden and Ford shut up shop, their respective parent companies are going to scream "We're kidding, the factories are still going to be open!"

Either that or we were talking stupid.
Old 9 Feb 2015, 03:20 (Ref:3503138)   #180
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
I was talking to a Ford salesperson the other day while looking over the new FGX XR8, and we both said in chorus that because of barrels of oil being relativity cheap and the Aussie dollar slipping, when it comes to the time both Holden and Ford shut up shop, their respective parent companies are going to scream "We're kidding, the factories are still going to be open!"

Either that or we were talking stupid.
No, sadly I think the party is over and the factories will be shut.
Old 10 Feb 2015, 09:06 (Ref:3503592)   #181
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
You actually have NO idea. These companies invested hundreds of millions of dollars themselves, which the Government matched.

Do you know how many BILLIONS the Government is giving to the mining industry alone to pull out and sell the minerals that belong to all Australians?

Tens and tens of billions, and they do NOTHING of value, which all 3 car manufacturers DID.

Proof:
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nati...b9d115cdc33ba3
I do have an idea , during my apprenticeship at GMH, they wanted to shut down for two weeks because they weren't selling cars. That's ok , every industry has it's ups and downs. But when they said" oh , it comes out of your annual leave". Thankfully this didn't happen, due to the backlash.

So the car industry was told many years ago in the seventies that to survive they had to evolve, obviously , they didn't, and kept building products to a dwindling market.

Demographics have changed , and no journalist will right a true story, just a story to sell papers or subscription to the net service.
Old 12 Feb 2015, 22:07 (Ref:3504373)   #182
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Ford speed dating:

http://www.news.com.au/technology/in...-1227218051033
Old 19 Feb 2015, 10:30 (Ref:3506594)   #183
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a Fordie from many years ago, only cos my brother liked Holden, I have to admit my posts in this topic where scaving of Ford USA, and anyone who supported them,(I am still not convinced that Yanks now everything) but the realisation is, we are to be flooded with Euro noddy boxes, and a two door car from the USA, (read what ever you want) will suffice as a car for a family , good times getting the baby seat in and out, oops you should have bought a Mondeo, , now there adds in Aust have some bimbo pracing around like a , well , go to some night club and you will see.

All I have said all along is for Ford to say the truth, Aussies build better cars, strange how the USA LOVES our V8's and utes yet some , God Damm god Bless American just doesn't have that same feeling .

Probably because Ford Aust , and Holden actually built a vehicle the yanks couldn't

Well , lets us welcome Europe into our hearts

P.S. ( I did my apprenticeship at General Motors Holden, so I do know a few things)
Old 6 Mar 2015, 11:39 (Ref:3512429)   #184
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
Interesting to se the prices for the Mustang in Aus, still we pay the Australia tax, whops I mean the support tax for USA
PRICING (excludes on-road costs)

I4 2.3-litre EcoBoost
  • Fastback - manual - $44,990
  • Fastback - auto - $47,490
  • Convertible - auto - $53,990
GT 5.0-litre Ti-VCT V8
  • Fastback - manual - $54,990
  • Fastback - auto - $57,490
  • Convertible - auto - $63,990
Not to mention the options,
New Ford Mustang: 2015 Price And Features For Australia
One mouth piece of Ford, Trevor Worthington, its cheaper to build vehicles in other countries, Australians will get a better deal.

Considering we have a cough cough free trade deal with the God Damms , why do we suffer, must be the freight charges, or Auto Union ,
Must face east and pray thanks to the God Damm God Bless America
Old 7 Mar 2015, 14:47 (Ref:3512723)   #185
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco View Post
Interesting to se the prices for the Mustang in Aus, still we pay the Australia tax, whops I mean the support tax for USA
PRICING (excludes on-road costs)

I4 2.3-litre EcoBoost
  • Fastback - manual - $44,990
  • Fastback - auto - $47,490
  • Convertible - auto - $53,990
GT 5.0-litre Ti-VCT V8
  • Fastback - manual - $54,990
  • Fastback - auto - $57,490
  • Convertible - auto - $63,990
Not to mention the options,
New Ford Mustang: 2015 Price And Features For Australia
One mouth piece of Ford, Trevor Worthington, its cheaper to build vehicles in other countries, Australians will get a better deal.

Considering we have a cough cough free trade deal with the God Damms , why do we suffer, must be the freight charges, or Auto Union ,
Must face east and pray thanks to the God Damm God Bless America
Seeing that you think they are overpriced please feel free to give us your pricing for each model.
Old 9 Mar 2015, 09:32 (Ref:3513188)   #186
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Seeing that you think they are overpriced please feel free to give us your pricing for each model.
Using the USA MSRP( Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price)
Eco boost range
2dr Fastback EcoBoost USA MSRP: $25,300
Australia Eco boost Fastback - $44,990
Real price Aust $28,000

2dr Conv V6 MSRP: $29,300
are we getting the V6 ????

2dr Fastback GT Premium V-8 5.0 MSRP: $36,300,
Australia Fastback - manual - $54,990
real price $40,000

How's that, remember Ford USA( God Dam god Bless), will have negotiated the cheapest carrier to travel to Aust , they can carry above 500 cars per trip.
Do a drop in Aust, slip up to Asia, get another load , etc .

SO again, why are we paying almost double ?
So much for the free trade agreement .
Old 9 Mar 2015, 09:39 (Ref:3513196)   #187
Smokey Retirement
Racer

Australia
Pit Lane
Smokey Retirement should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Eco boost range
Real price Aust $28,000

real price $40,000

How's that, remember Ford USA( God Dam god Bless), will have negotiated the cheapest carrier to travel to Aust , they can carry above 500 cars per trip.

Not quite sure where you got that conversion from. At today's currency conversion, $36,300US is close enough to $47000AUD, plus add on shipping, etc...
Old 9 Mar 2015, 09:47 (Ref:3513202)   #188
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Eco boost range
Real price Aust $28,000

real price $40,000

You could run Ford with thinking like that....right into the ground.
Old 9 Mar 2015, 12:22 (Ref:3513256)   #189
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Eco boost range
Real price Aust $28,000

real price $40,000

Your maths are out. Plus you haven't allowed for the different specifications in each market (Mustang in the US is famous for being a are bones car with a HUGE options list so that buyers can pick and choose which suspension they want as an example). The Australian market car is gong to be highly specced to start with so will cost more than the base price US car.

Then the "on road" costs in the US are normally quite bit higher than here and include items that we include in the cost of the car.

Then sea freight is nowhere near as simple as you make it out to be, particularly as the ships stop in all the major cities around the Oz coastline.

For sure we pay more than the Seppos but you'd expect that - it ain't double though.
Old 9 Mar 2015, 12:44 (Ref:3513268)   #190
Bell_End
Racer

Jamaica
Church Tower
Bell_End should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The cars coming here are fully loaded as well with little to no options I believe (performance pack standard for example)

Ecoboost premium w/options is USD$35k
GT Premium w/options is USD$45k

Last edited by Bell_End; 9 Mar 2015 at 12:51.
Old 10 Mar 2015, 02:17 (Ref:3513529)   #191
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell_End View Post
The cars coming here are fully loaded as well with little to no options I believe (performance pack standard for example)

Ecoboost premium w/options is USD$35k
GT Premium w/options is USD$45k
Well there you go Bell_End - on current exchange rates that would mean Australian dollars for the US cost of Ecoboost with options is AUD $45,655 and the US GT with options is AUD $58,713.

Sounds like we're getting a bargain with the Oz pricing then!
Old 11 Sep 2015, 04:06 (Ref:3573081)   #192
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Last Build Date Confirmed

Old 11 Sep 2015, 04:12 (Ref:3573082)   #193
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Bathurst weekend, sacrilege
Old 11 Sep 2015, 05:56 (Ref:3573099)   #194
JAFA851
Veteran

New Zealand
JAFA851 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Bathurst weekend, sacrilege
Why? They haven't truly supported motorsport in Australia for decades, and closing down on the Friday of Bathurst weekend pretty much sums Ford Australia up. To do it then shows without doubt that they are that far out of touch with their fan base and have no idea, and really, they are better off gone. Shame about all the lost jobs, but they've been flogging a dead horse for years. People will find new jobs, and life will go on.
Old 12 Sep 2015, 04:24 (Ref:3573310)   #195
naca
Racer

naca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Although they'll no doubt try and call them Bathurst Specials and flog them off for a couple of extra grand.
Old 13 Sep 2015, 07:38 (Ref:3573551)   #196
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFA851 View Post
Why? They haven't truly supported motorsport in Australia for decades, and closing down on the Friday of Bathurst weekend pretty much sums Ford Australia up. To do it then shows without doubt that they are that far out of touch with their fan base and have no idea, and really, they are better off gone. Shame about all the lost jobs, but they've been flogging a dead horse for years. People will find new jobs, and life will go on.
I agree, as a life long Moffat fan, the original, not his kid, there is no hope left. So, I went and singed up for a new HSV Clubsport, the dealer said: "better hurry Mate they are all out the door in 2017..."

Say the mantra and repeat over and over - I Love Imports.
Old 14 Oct 2015, 08:59 (Ref:3582721)   #197
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
please explain how Ford is marketed here

Question is. Does Ford Australia actually have a marketing department?????

The pennys they give PRA would be the FG-X's entire marketing budget.

Quote:
Penske Racing global president bewildered by Blue Oval’s abandonment of V8 Supercars
Having just committed to running two Ford Falcon FG Xs in the V8 Supercar Championship in 2016, Penske Racing’s global president Tim Cindric has expressed his bewilderment at Ford Australia’s determined efforts to abandon the category.

And he has also signalled that lack of interest could result in Penske switching to another brand as soon as 2017.

Despite a massive Australian touring car racing heritage, the Blue Oval ceases all connection with V8 Supercars at the end of this year, when its now minor deal with former factory team Prodrive Racing Australia lapses.

Ironically, PRA is likely to deliver both the drivers and teams’ championship to Ford this year for the first time since its inception as Ford Performance Racing in 2003.

“I am having a real hard time understanding the logic about how the brand (Ford) is being marketed in this country,” the American told motoring.com.au.

“What is the agenda? Why discourage support of the brand in the biggest racing series in the country and one of the biggest sports in the country?”

Cindric is a key player in DJR Team Penske, the team purchased by US racing icon Roger Penske in the off-season, with local legend Dick Johnson and some other partners retaining a minority interest.

Yesterday, DJRTP confirmed it would expand from one Falcon to two for 2016, with category star Fabian Coulthard joining emerging talent Scott Pye on the driving roster at the Queensland-based team.

When Penske took over the operation from Johnson, the team had already lost its Ford backing. Despite Penske being a major partner with Ford in US motor racing, local execs showed no interest in backing the team when Cindric met with them last year.

But Penske still joined with PRA in paying for the homologation of the FG X for V8 Supercars racing in 2015, with Ford proving technical support.

“There was no subsidy and I am not aware that has ever happened and I know we won’t participate in that process again in 2017,” said Cindric.

With Falcon production ending in October 2016 and the Gen2 V8 Supercar rules being introduced for 2017, the Ford teams have been lobbying to race the new Mustang, potentially with a blown V6 engine.

But that’s drawn no support from Ford Australia, while negotiations with Ford Performance in the USA to get involved have come to nothing.

“The USA doesn’t control Supercars, Australia does, so I don’t think the US is going to do anything independent of this organisation,” Cindric said.

While no decisions have been made as yet beyond next year, Cindric is clearly signalling that unless Ford Australia shifts its position, DJRTP will be shifting to a new brand as soon as 2017.

Cindric was clearly frustrated by Ford Australia’s policy. No Blue Oval executives attended Bathurst last weekend and there has also been active discouragement of dealers becoming involved with the Ford teams, despite both of them having strong links in that area.

“If the dealers want to be involved, why not? Why is that discouraged?” asked Cindric.

“I think I could understand it a bit more if Ford was running at the back of the grid, but you can’t ask for a better on-track performance than what Prodrive has shown this year and there is enthusiasm for it. Why not benefit from it?”

Cindric said the tribal blue (Ford) versus red (Holden) battle in V8 Supercars was an integral part of the show, which would be put at risk if that was allowed to ebb away.

“It won’t only hurt the diehard Ford fans, but the Holden fans with no-one to root against, it’s hard to keep the passion.

“I have been totally amazed by the brand loyalty that exists,” he added.

“For the relatively small investment that exists in that I just don’t understand why you throw all that away, just because you are not manufacturing cars in particular country. That situation exists for other brands such as Holden.”

Cindric also made the point that in a global media world, Ford’s recalcitrant attitude toward V8s would backfire beyond Australian borders.

“It’s not the fact that DJRTP is really losing anything out of it, but I think the sport is. But more importantly I think the brand is and … the world is much smaller than it once was. The reputation of your brand isn’t in just that particular country. The logo is the same all around the world.”
I wonder if Ford's plans post V8SC will become clearer after the Mustang's formal release in December?

An Aus GT program for the new Ford GT?
Old 14 Oct 2015, 23:20 (Ref:3582931)   #198
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pffft, doubt it.

Ford Australia and their marketing are pathetic when it comes to embracing their racing both now and their own heritage. Holden leave them in their shadows when it comes to selling their brand through motorsport. Tim Cendric is scratching his head at the same level of every Ford fan for the last 20 years. Sure they've had their high points, but mostly people remember things like letting 888 slip through their fingers, poor marketing of the FG/X (especially in light of dual Bathurst successes) and their ****-poor/annoying tv ads.

Most likely Ford will exit for a few years then burn a shedload of cash re-establishing themselves in Australian motorsport in 5 years time (in whatever category is prevalent at that time) and thus repeat the current cycle.
Old 15 Oct 2015, 08:19 (Ref:3583001)   #199
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brilliant comments from Tim Cindric. Something I have believed for years, and while he does have a vested interest, it is great to see it communicated in an articulate way, by someone who matters.

Quote:
Cindric also made the point that in a global media world, Ford’s recalcitrant attitude toward V8s would backfire beyond Australian borders.

“It’s not the fact that DJRTP is really losing anything out of it, but I think the sport is. But more importantly I think the brand is and … the world is much smaller than it once was. The reputation of your brand isn’t in just that particular country. The logo is the same all around the world.”
It won't change anything for Ford, they're no longer listening, but at least it puts it all out in the open for them. They can't say they weren't told when their market share collapses and they come crawling back when it is all too late. In saying that, they do have some great cars on the way, so I imagine they are hoping to stand on their own two feet on the product alone. They just need to figure out how to get people through the doors.
Old 15 Oct 2015, 09:32 (Ref:3583013)   #200
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikuni View Post
They can't say they weren't told when their market share collapses and they come crawling back when it is all too late.
The Falcon sales are already at rock bottom.

Does racing Falcon's sell Fiesta's, Mondeo's or Ranger's? Ford obviously don't think so, and they'd know better than any of us.

It sucks big time that they're out, but its not as if they haven't done it before and motor racing continued on....