Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 9 Feb 2008, 10:17 (Ref:2124798)   #176
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Dale Jr
I know that the Hutomo 'Tommy' Suharto, son of Indonesia's then-president Suharto, ran firstly an ex-TWR VL and later Larry Perkins-built Commodores over in Asia. It wasn't in the JTCC, and I'm pretty sure they were Group A events, so it's likely that they did run a Group A championship over there. Didn't Graham Goode run a car in a championship there in the '90s?
think there's a pic of the Graham Goode car earlier in the thread
Old 9 Feb 2008, 13:26 (Ref:2124889)   #177
racer2_uk
Rookie

United Kingdom
racer2_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi WD Jr and all, my ex-Johnson sierra was raced in Malaysia by Graham Hathaway in '90 or '91, the scrutineering stickers are still on the rollcage.

Andy
Old 9 Feb 2008, 15:56 (Ref:2124950)   #178
Jesper OH
Veteran

Jesper OH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just found a note in Autosport from April 16 1992: Graham Goode is driving his old Group A Ford Sierra RS500 sponsored by Petronas Petroleum in a programme of four events over the summer at the Johar and Shah Alam circuits in Malaysia. His first race is at Johar on April 26.

Jesper
Old 12 Feb 2008, 22:05 (Ref:2127514)   #179
Jesper OH
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer2_uk
Hi Jesper and all, please get that memory going for us regarding the "Trakstar" sierra's, I don't have much info on them between '89 and '94, especially the Smith car ( 20 ).

Great info, don't stop.

Andy
DJR1
Finally found something Ferrari and his 1992 RS500. It says it's that he "rounded off the top 10 with his ex-Rob Gravett BTCC Ford Sierra Cosworth." This could still be one of two cars though.

Jesper
Old 17 Feb 2008, 11:50 (Ref:2130799)   #180
COSSIERACER
Rookie

COSSIERACER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HI GUYS
JUST NOTICED THIS THREAD ON HERE !
I MAY HAVE THIS CAR {#25 Wolf Racing / Würth / white / Ronal rims
Armin Hahne was driver of this car. Only a week after the final meeting it was advertised in Autosport as “The most successful Ford Sierra RS500 Cosworth with six wins in the GTC in 1988 driven by Armin Hahne” to quote the full text! This could very well mean that Hahne was using a single RS500 during the 1988 DTM.}
DOES ANYBODY HAVE HISTORYOR PICS OF IT
CHEERS
Old 23 Feb 2008, 19:54 (Ref:2136044)   #181
Jesper OH
Veteran

Here's what I can dig up about the 1987 ETCC Sierra RS Cosworths/RS500 Cosworths .

R1 – 19870405 – Donington
R2 – 19870426 – Estoril
R3 – 19870524 – Anderstorp
R4 – 19870607 – Zolder
R5 – 19870614 – Österreichring
R6 – 19870628 – Imola
R7 – 19870913 – Nogaro

From the calender alone all races bar the Nogaro finale was done in RS Cosworth spec. The following is mainly based on Frank De Jong’s site, with additional notes from other sources.

Just like in the WTCC, there was an entry fee for the ’87 ETCC - $6.000 for each car. Jolly Club payed that amount twice, with Romeo Ferraris running the team – this is what Autosport wrote in their January 8 1987 edition:

Ferraris to run Sierras
The Milan-based preparation expert Romeo Ferraris, is planning to prepare two Jolly Club-supported Ford Sierra Cosworths for the FIA European Touring Car Championship. Early suggestions would indicate that the driving will be done by a group of Italian racers new to international touring car racing. Names connected with the project include Onofrio and Roberto Russo, Raimondo Pirro (brother of Emanuele) and Tiziano Serattini. The team plans to compete in selected World Touring Car events, but with the series yet to be formally finalised, it seems more likely that the emphasis will be on the European scene.

By round 2 in Portugal Jolly Club had approached the privateer BMW outfit CiBiEmme Sport to take over the running of their cars! What became of this or other negotiations I don’t know, but by the Nogaro finale the cars were entered as TRS (no clue as to what this stands for?), according to Frank De Jong.
A 5th at Anderstorp and 7th at Imola was the best results all year, and although the lone Donington car was just about ready, it still posted the fastest division 3 race lap.

Drivers:
Giuseppe Arlotti
Federico D’Amore – all rounds
Lella Lombardi – all rounds
Marco Micangeli
Onofrio Russo – most rounds
Roberto Russo
Tiziano Serattini – all rounds

To the best of my knowledge no other Ford Sierra RS Cosworth team entered the ETCC officially but two other teams usually made an impact on their arrival:

Ruedi Eggenberger used the Estoril and Zolder as much needed race testing of his cars in early 1987, eventually banking a 2-3 in Portugal and a 1-2 in Belgium. Three cars were entered for the opening round in Donington, but never appeared.

Wolf Racing only had their first mount ready for the Zolder EG Trophy in early june. One driver didn’t qualify and the that was it for the weekend. A week later at Österreichring the Joachim Winkelhock and Jörg van Ommen driven Wolf RS qualified on pole and finished second on the road, to be excluded for an adjustable boost knob in the cockpit (or valves?).
For this race a second Wolf car raced in the hands of Hans-Jörg Mayrhofer and Wolfgang Treml, that finished 9th o/a, 2nd in class.

Another entry at the Austrian race was that of countryman Karl Oppitzhauser – a semi regular entrant in previous years with a XR4Ti and before that a BMW 635CSi. With Hans Kalachek (the father of the Kalacheks I believe) this entry was a DNF.

The only other Sierra I have noted is a DNS at Nogaro for Roland Guillemet and Jean-Pierre Castel. Guillemet (or Gullemet?) was driving a Sierra in the French group A of 1987, so I believe this entry must be centered around him.

Then there is of course the Gerd Ruch entry for Donington mentioned in an earlier post, but that car probably never materialised.

Jesper
Old 23 Feb 2008, 20:51 (Ref:2136081)   #182
Jesper OH
Veteran

1987 WTCC RS/RS500 Cosworths

Three cars officially paid up the $60.000 entry fee, and thus fought for the 1987 WTCC.

Ruedi Eggenberger entered two cars, while Andy Rouse was behind the third. In Europe few other RS Cossies were seen, but the exceptions were second Rouse entries at Spa and Silverstone, while Wolf Racing entered single cars for Nürburgring, Brno and Silverstone and two for Spa. Euromotors of Luxemburg (?) had a car at Spa, and a Dutch RS500 appeared at the Silverstone TT.
For the two Australian events two Dick Johnson and two Don Smith/OXO cars were entered, while the Rouse entry shifted towards Allan Moffat. By the time of Wellington the Rouse entry had disappeared, as did one of the OXO cars. Eggenberger and Johnson were still two car strong. For the finals at Fuji Eggenberger finally started their third car in a bid to steal overall points from BMW-driver Roberto Ravaglia. Andy Rouse was present, but as a driver of the local Trampio RS500 and finished an excellent second with Naoki Nagasaka.

This might not be complete, but as with the ETCC of ’87 I don’t have complete results – Work in progress.

Jesper
Old 24 Feb 2008, 09:25 (Ref:2136431)   #183
bent65
Rookie

Australia
Central Coast
bent65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
For the two Australian events two Dick Johnson and two Don Smith/OXO cars were entered, while the Rouse entry shifted towards Allan Moffat. By the time of Wellington the Rouse entry had disappeared, as did one of the OXO cars
Don smith retired after bathurst '87, the #34 OXO car was then owned by John Giddings. Possibly didnt see Wellington because of budget constraints and was being prepared for Colin Bonds 1988 ATCC and AMSCAR campaigns. CB came third and first respectively.
Old 24 Feb 2008, 10:13 (Ref:2136462)   #184
bent65
Rookie

Australia
Central Coast
bent65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Dale Jr
Actually, due to the lack of suitable Toyos, Bond's wins were on Dunlops! I'll double check this, but I think it was something to do with using the taller rear tyres on the front that was the secret to Bond's success. He first did this at Winton where he started from the rear and charged through to 8th, before winning at Lakeside and Mallala.

posted by racer69
The funny thing about this was that the commentaters of the races Bond won kept on praising the performance of his Toyo tyres!
I actually have a couple of the tyres from Colin's car and some are Dunlops with TOYO in the customary large yellow lettering on the sidewall so I guess we can forgive the commentators.

Will we see the ANZ car that returned from UK race in hisroric group A?

I believe the Listerene car that came out from UK and ran at '07 MCMasters has changed owners and will run in different livery?

Also, Andy i am sure you mentioned it in a different thread but is your beautifully restored DJR car, DJR1 or 2?

Fantastic sierra info guys you are a wealth of knowledge!!
Old 24 Feb 2008, 15:39 (Ref:2136658)   #185
racer2_uk
Rookie

United Kingdom
racer2_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi bent65, thanks for your interest in my car, it is DJR1.

Andy
Old 6 Apr 2008, 10:45 (Ref:2171024)   #186
COSSIERACER
Rookie

COSSIERACER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HI GUYS
I MAY HAVE THIS CAR
{#25 Wolf Racing / Würth / white / Ronal rims
Armin Hahne was driver of this car. Only a week after the final meeting it was advertised in Autosport as “The most successful Ford Sierra RS500 Cosworth with six wins in the GTC in 1988 driven by Armin Hahne” to quote the full text! This could very well mean that Hahne was using a single RS500 during the 1988 DTM.}

CURRENTLY PAINTED BLACK ,RONAL RIMS,LHD,EGGENBERGER ALLOY ARMS / UPRIGHTS ETC

DOES ANYBODY HAVE HISTORY OR PICS OF IT
CHEERS
Old 6 Apr 2008, 14:48 (Ref:2171329)   #187
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Probably not the same car but you can see an '88 ETC Wolf car in some images I posted earlier and in the Nissan GTS-R thread....
Old 7 Apr 2008, 05:58 (Ref:2171914)   #188
stef74
Rookie

stef74 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi
I need some imformation for there chassis number
- EGMO 90-01 and 02

many thanks

regards
Old 7 Apr 2008, 09:13 (Ref:2172024)   #189
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Welcome stef.

I'm sure the regulars on the thread will be able to help you with some info or links to where you might find it.
Old 26 Apr 2008, 21:38 (Ref:2187685)   #190
martinlabatts
Racer

United Kingdom
southampton
martinlabatts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by COSSIERACER
HI GUYS
I MAY HAVE THIS CAR
{#25 Wolf Racing / Würth / white / Ronal rims

CURRENTLY PAINTED BLACK ,RONAL RIMS,LHD,EGGENBERGER ALLOY ARMS / UPRIGHTS ETC

DOES ANYBODY HAVE HISTORY OR PICS OF IT
CHEERS

post some pics up of the car as i may know it
Old 26 Apr 2008, 21:39 (Ref:2187687)   #191
martinlabatts
Racer

United Kingdom
southampton
martinlabatts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stef74
Hi
- EGMO 90-01 and 02

many thanks

regards
whot EGMO chassie number are you interested in?
Old 30 Apr 2008, 14:37 (Ref:2191116)   #192
stef74
Rookie

HI,
I need history for the chassis number EGMO 90-02, normally it's a Bastos car

regards

stef
Old 8 May 2008, 09:22 (Ref:2196709)   #193
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Another RS500 on the market- the Rouse customer car originally supplied to Albert Poon to race in Malaysia c1988- presumably this one also has some Macau history- Anyone got pics of it in period?

From the pic on the Oakfields site, it looks as if it's been raced in the UK more recently

http://www.classicdriver.de/uk/find/...&dealerid=1337
Old 11 May 2008, 09:47 (Ref:2198725)   #194
brown dog
Racer

brown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbrown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesper OH
Just found a note in Autosport from April 16 1992: Graham Goode is driving his old Group A Ford Sierra RS500 sponsored by Petronas Petroleum in a programme of four events over the summer at the Johar and Shah Alam circuits in Malaysia. His first race is at Johar on April 26.

Jesper
I was working for Graham Hathaway at the time, and attended the race in Johor. The car Graeme Goode was running was a black car with Listerine on the bonnet, and "Mach 5" on the sides. Graham Hathaways was the ex DJR in white, from 1988 vintage I think, also with "Mach 5" on the side.This was the ex trakstar car that Rob Gravett raced. It was still running BBS 3 piece wheels at this time. I remember that the car had suffered a huge shunt at some stage, as the floorpan was very rippled behind the drivers seat. The only other car that was even in the same ballpark was a DTM M3 raced by Leif Norberg, in a hideous turquoise with orange wheels. I believe this was the Cor Euser 1991 Marlboro DTM car now owned by Don Grice (restored back to original)
As essentially it was a race of only two cars, Graeme and Graham would decide before the race who was going to win (by coin toss i think) then put on a bit of a show for the punters by overtaking each other several times during the race, nobody could actually tell they were just messing around!
There is also an Ex Wolf RS500 in NZ, (actually parked in a workshop just down the road from me) This was bought by Mark Petch, and is still owned by him. It raced in "Whittakers Peanut Slab" livery the whole time it was here, brown with gold writing, affectionately known as "the slab car" and usually driven by Gianfranco Brancatelli.

Last edited by brown dog; 11 May 2008 at 09:51.
Old 11 May 2008, 10:46 (Ref:2198760)   #195
banger_racer
Racer

England
essex
banger_racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Gravett Trackstar car suffered a shunt at thruxton which also involved Phil Dowsett, If i remember rightly it went in to tyre wall backwards at the complex. which would be the reason for the rippled floor. The shunt was 1989 i think, if iam wrong please correct me.
Old 11 May 2008, 10:58 (Ref:2198777)   #196
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown dog
I was working for Graham Hathaway at the time, and attended the race in Johor. The car Graeme Goode was running was a black car with Listerine on the bonnet, and "Mach 5" on the sides. Graham Hathaways was the ex DJR in white, from 1988 vintage I think, also with "Mach 5" on the side.This was the ex trakstar car that Rob Gravett raced. It was still running BBS 3 piece wheels at this time. I remember that the car had suffered a huge shunt at some stage, as the floorpan was very rippled behind the drivers seat.
Sounds like the results of the shunt Gravett had while lapping Phil Dowsett's Corolla in 1988- think it was at Thruxton? As I remember there was contact when Gravett lapped the Toyota as they turned into the chicane, ending with the Sierra being being spun round, going off backwards and taking a fairly big hit in the back
Old 11 May 2008, 11:08 (Ref:2198785)   #197
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by banger_racer
The Gravett Trackstar car suffered a shunt at thruxton which also involved Phil Dowsett, If i remember rightly it went in to tyre wall backwards at the complex. which would be the reason for the rippled floor. The shunt was 1989 i think, if iam wrong please correct me.
That's the one- and yes it was 1989, not 88 as I tried to say in my last post....
Moral of the story? never try and answer the phone while you're posting
Old 11 May 2008, 20:19 (Ref:2199231)   #198
Jesper OH
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef74
Hi
- EGMO 90-01 and 02

many thanks

regards
As I understand your question, youre asking about the Eggenberger RS500s from Spa-Francorchamps 1990?. #1 driven by old time Volvo/Eggenberger driver Thomas Lindström of Sweden, DTM favorite of the time, German Roland Asch, and former Ford-youngster Frank Biela, finally finishing third, beaten by two BMW M3s.
#2 was sidelined by a broken gearbox: http://homepage.mac.com/frank_de_jon...990%20Spa.html. This car was driven by another mixed bag of drivers comprising of local star and Bastos sponsored Eddy Joosen, German Olaf Manthey, and a still youthfull, but sacked Zakspeed F1 driver Bernd Schneider.

Having seen pictures of a Bastos RS500 on the German Youngtimer Trophy site from about 2006, I'm guessing that you're asking - perhaps even owning - one of these cars.

Jesper
Old 13 May 2008, 05:10 (Ref:2200697)   #199
stef74
Rookie

Hi
Many thanks Jesper
Are you shure if the chassis EGMO 90-01 was the #1 and chassis EGMO 90-02 #2 ?
I found that : http://www.racingsportscars.com/cove...990-07-22e.jpg
stephane
Old 13 May 2008, 05:19 (Ref:2200699)   #200
stef74
Rookie

For me the #1 is joosen/manthey/schneider and #2 lindstrom/asch/biela

Tags
andrew miedecke, andy rouse, atcc, btcc, colin bond, dick johnson, dtm, eggenberger, ford sierra rs500, graham goode racing, group a, peter brock, trakstar, wtcc