Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Sep 2009, 19:20 (Ref:2537252)   #176
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This 'Crash-gate' may well provide Renault the best way out of the sport?
Old 9 Sep 2009, 20:06 (Ref:2537287)   #177
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
That's interesting. Briatore and Symonds have basically said it was a fix but it was Piquet's idea
To coin a phrase, "Well, they would say that, wouldn't they?"

Two against one - let's hope for Piquet's sake there is some other evidence...... and for Renaults sake that there is not......
Old 9 Sep 2009, 21:29 (Ref:2537344)   #178
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Symonds is also reported as saying: "It's true, during the Sunday meeting with Piquet the issue of deliberately causing a SC deployment came up, but it was proposed by Piquet himself. It was just a conversation."
Major respect lost for this guy.
Old 9 Sep 2009, 21:37 (Ref:2537349)   #179
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Major respect lost for this guy.
Sounds like a cover up, who knows. If its true as you say PS has lost credability. Flav will survive through this and lose whoever to keep control when Renault pulls the plug. These decisions arent made overnight, I bet this has rumbled undercover with the hierarchy since it happened. Now theyre caught out, Flav has sorted his future
Old 9 Sep 2009, 21:40 (Ref:2537352)   #180
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Surreal as it seems, it's only the tip of the iceberg.
It must be because nothing that has been said so far justifies all the fuss. It's bad, but it's bad not enough.

Without really wanting to be the first to implicate Alonso, would he not have thought it strange that he was having such an early pit-stop, because that strategy would never have worked unless there was a safety car within a short number of laps afterwards.
Old 9 Sep 2009, 21:42 (Ref:2537354)   #181
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Given that Symonds and Flav have conflicting stories, I know who I believe
Old 9 Sep 2009, 21:45 (Ref:2537357)   #182
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
I always thought the spin itself looked odd. Like why did he keep his foot on the gas even though it was obvious he had lost the back end...
Old 9 Sep 2009, 21:54 (Ref:2537360)   #183
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Mr V. Ok. Alonso has nowt to do with this. Of course he wouldnt. Lets face it; If it was all sorted before the race I find it hard that the Team No1 knew nothing...
Old 9 Sep 2009, 22:14 (Ref:2537376)   #184
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Satorian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
By now I feel oddly vindicated for my "Did Piquet crash on purpose to help Alonso?" thread and my conspiracy post from September, 28th 2008.

Nearly a year later.

I still think it was a genius move by Renault, except for that "probably getting caught" part.
Old 9 Sep 2009, 22:25 (Ref:2537382)   #185
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The thing with this scandal, if true, is that it isn't just some ambitious driver thinking "I'll try and help myself a bit here by making sure no one else can qualify". That's one man being greedy, and in Schumacher's case he got what seemed to me to be a fair punishment.

But the two most senior people in the team conspiring with a driver to cheat? That's something very different in my eyes. It's extremely hard to explain WHY it's very different, but it just is! XD
Old 9 Sep 2009, 22:26 (Ref:2537383)   #186
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Of course, Symonds might be right, in that the team might have been discussing how to make a strategy work, and Piquet said "I could always crash at the right time" and everyone laughed...
Old 9 Sep 2009, 23:30 (Ref:2537412)   #187
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14 View Post
Of course, Symonds might be right, in that the team might have been discussing how to make a strategy work, and Piquet said "I could always crash at the right time" and everyone laughed...
...and then when the laughing stopped,someone should have said: "No,we can't do that,we'll have to pit on lap twenty something like everyone else".
Old 9 Sep 2009, 23:36 (Ref:2537416)   #188
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox89 View Post

But the two most senior people in the team conspiring with a driver to cheat? That's something very different in my eyes. It's extremely hard to explain WHY it's very different, but it just is! XD
Your 'key' word there is "conspiring".
Old 9 Sep 2009, 23:41 (Ref:2537420)   #189
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post

Without really wanting to be the first to implicate Alonso, would he not have thought it strange that he was having such an early pit-stop, because that strategy would never have worked unless there was a safety car within a short number of laps afterwards.
I was under the impression that this conversation took place shortly before the race? But the teams had to let the FIA know the fuel levels for the race on the saturday, i.e - the day before, therefore, the pit stratergy would have been decided about 18 hours before the conversation took place.
Old 9 Sep 2009, 23:46 (Ref:2537427)   #190
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
I seem to remember that the event was heavily sponsored by ING (correct me if I'm wrong).Maybe greed and big bonuses got the better of some.

Also.Does Alonso have any say in his race strategy? Could he have possibly said: "I'm pitting on what lap!"
Old 9 Sep 2009, 23:53 (Ref:2537436)   #191
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
I was under the impression that this conversation took place shortly before the race? But the teams had to let the FIA know the fuel levels for the race on the saturday, i.e - the day before, therefore, the pit stratergy would have been decided about 18 hours before the conversation took place.
Good point, but I still suggest that Alonso's fuel strategy was bizarre, unless...

To be honest, only time will tell.
Old 9 Sep 2009, 23:53 (Ref:2537437)   #192
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satorian View Post
By now I feel oddly vindicated for my "Did Piquet crash on purpose to help Alonso?" thread and my conspiracy post from September, 28th 2008.

Nearly a year later.

I still think it was a genius move by Renault, except for that "probably getting caught" part.
It crossed my mind as a possibility at the time. It was very convenient. I see that thread had the predictable onslaught of how it was crazy to suggest such a thing.

Sinister conspiracies are always deemed fantasy-world stuff by most until they are shown to be true, at which point they are taken to be self-evident.
Old 9 Sep 2009, 23:58 (Ref:2537439)   #193
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yeah. At least Spygate was sort of believeable. This is just waaay beyond anything we've seen before
Old 10 Sep 2009, 00:05 (Ref:2537445)   #194
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Spy-gate had the feature of having an ordinary member of the public (photocopy guy) spilling the beans.It was then just a case of how much it would hurt when the FIA threw the book at them.

James Allen's take on it.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2009/0...crash-meeting/

It does appear that only Autosport are running the story.
Old 10 Sep 2009, 00:59 (Ref:2537452)   #195
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
It does make me wonder, if this is true, why Renault decided to get rid of Piquet midseason, surely they know that the Piquet family would cry foul, if true, wouldn't they be better to have waited till the end of the season before dropping Piquet?
Old 10 Sep 2009, 03:22 (Ref:2537478)   #196
manwell
Racer

manwell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
It does make me wonder, if this is true, why Renault decided to get rid of Piquet midseason, surely they know that the Piquet family would cry foul, if true, wouldn't they be better to have waited till the end of the season before dropping Piquet?
Maybe Renault were banking on the fact they didnt think Piquet would potentially ruin his career by admitting he crashed to help his team mate.

Personally i dont think its that bad.
A small punishment is worthwhile, but fixing results is nothing new.
Is it any worse than Barrichello letting Shumi past just before the finish line.
Or Shumi stopping on the last corner in qualifying for Monaco when he was on pole.
Old 10 Sep 2009, 09:14 (Ref:2537614)   #197
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by manwell View Post
Personally i dont think its that bad.
Me neither.

They do deserve a punishment of some sort but talk of life bans and whatnot is OTT.
Old 10 Sep 2009, 09:20 (Ref:2537616)   #198
calibrax
Rookie

United Kingdom
Rochester, Kent
calibrax should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by manwell View Post
Is it any worse than Barrichello letting Shumi past just before the finish line.
Or Shumi stopping on the last corner in qualifying for Monaco when he was on pole.
The point is that a deliberate crash endangers the lives of drivers, spectators and marshals. Imagine if he'd crashed and then another car had hit him at speed...
Old 10 Sep 2009, 09:36 (Ref:2537626)   #199
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It is unlikely anyone would've been injured, but that's not the point; someone could've been, and marshals, drivers, spectators etc. accept that motorsport is dangerous when they attend/take part, but they shouldn't have to accept people crashing deliberately crashing which endangers them.

If found guilty, they ought to throw the book at them. McLaren got some stupid fine for 'Spygate'. Renault got NOTHING for doing exactly the same thing. It's about time they got punished for something they've done.
Old 10 Sep 2009, 09:59 (Ref:2537640)   #200
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
It is unlikely anyone would've been injured, but that's not the point; someone could've been, and marshals, drivers, spectators etc. accept that motorsport is dangerous when they attend/take part, but they shouldn't have to accept people crashing deliberately crashing which endangers them.
Drivers have crashed deliberately before in much more dangerous situations and have not been punished to anywhere near the extent being suggested for Renault.