Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 9 Apr 2009, 08:34 (Ref:2437200)   #176
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Monsieur le Comte I do indeed mean "Machiavellian" my spelling is so bad that even Google could not help me!!
Peter it might have taken down the developer but curiously they found the money to buy it back from the banks...
Piglet I hear what you are saying - I knew Simon Wattleworth and whilst I understand the grief his widow went through I always thought it a great shame she tried to sue Goodwood and I am sure he would have been appalled by the whole case. However I think that the commenst you make are valid and if I were a track day provider I would probably cancel until there is some clarity...
Old 9 Apr 2009, 08:43 (Ref:2437203)   #177
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
Piglet I hear what you are saying - I knew Simon Wattleworth and whilst I understand the grief his widow went through I always thought it a great shame she tried to sue Goodwood and I am sure he would have been appalled by the whole case. However I think that the commenst you make are valid and if I were a track day provider I would probably cancel until there is some clarity...
Morning Simon, it's often the insurers that push through litigation of this type so the family may have had little involvement and anyway, I think people have to do what they believe is right at the time, once the insurers have paid out a fair chunk of life insurance payout they'll try to get it back if they think there is a way. IIRC Goodwood, BARC and the MSA were sued together which would be a fairly standard approach.

The concept that the MSA could be in some way liable for something that happened at a non MSA event was I imagine quite worrying for the MSA!
Old 9 Apr 2009, 09:19 (Ref:2437226)   #178
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This thread is going in all directions! Hopefully all interesting.

Yes Simon and indeed those contractors re-started under different names, but it was a major impact at the time.

However my line of business is somewhat different these days and indeed the use of pre fabricated structures is the "norm" in Anglo Saxon provinces. It does cut down on site works and it increases safety but this situation requires superior planning and innovative civil engineering techniques to pull off the necessary completion on time.

That said I suggest the methods are necessarily going to be more traditional and thus will be exposed to weather, space and resource impacts.

Does anyone know who the main contractor is?

I would expect an organisation such as Laing O'Rourke, McAlpine, Galliford or that size would be doing this.
Old 9 Apr 2009, 09:29 (Ref:2437230)   #179
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Does anyone know who the main contractor is?

I would expect an organisation such as Laing O'Rourke, McAlpine, Galliford or that size would be doing this.
According to today's Autosport, Simon Gillett at Donington says the construction work has stopped for 'ordering' and he says they own the construction company.
Old 9 Apr 2009, 09:35 (Ref:2437233)   #180
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
"ordering". A construction phrase I've never heard before.

Simon Gillett Building Contractor Ltd.

With respect it doesn't sound like your average international heavy civils company.
Old 9 Apr 2009, 09:42 (Ref:2437242)   #181
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If Simon Gillett was unable to complete the building and had to creat force majeure who woudl be left to pick up the pieces and restore the track? Is that Wheatcroft or is there another company between them? If I were teh ultimate owner Iw oudl start to get concerned as the counter party risk is enormous
Old 9 Apr 2009, 09:50 (Ref:2437250)   #182
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
The costs lie were they fall under Force Majeure. So the contractor would not get paid for his losses and the owner would have to make good anything that was damaged.

However you can't apply FM to a failure of the contractor to complete on time due to cash flow or anything like that. These things are a simple breach of contract.
Old 9 Apr 2009, 10:02 (Ref:2437256)   #183
Dave 455
Racer

Dave 455 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

That sounds like a late april fools joke, Donington doing the construction work themselves and stopped to order parts

Although I think it's probably true, there is only 2 diggers and 1 dumper truck on-site for these works and they never seem to move much

The re-build could take some time to complete!
Old 9 Apr 2009, 10:22 (Ref:2437265)   #184
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a little off topic - but doesn't Tom have a background in Construction?

Oh yeah, and whilst 6 weeks is pushing it a bit, I have just completed editing a presentation given at a project management conference where apparently they completed a 800,000 square foot warehouse and office complex in 5 Months. Anything's possible!
Old 9 Apr 2009, 10:26 (Ref:2437269)   #185
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was there on Sunday and was expecting the place to be a hive of building activity, especially as the infield is out of bounds now. It wasn't. As Dave said, a couple of diggers and a dumper truck. Rockingham for the British GP anyone ???!!

Regarding the tunnel and safety issues-I drove past it on the way to my post and it's really not THAT bad, no worse than under the bridges at Silverstone. All they really need to do is chuck up some armco and it should be perfectly ok, in my opinion.
Old 9 Apr 2009, 11:04 (Ref:2437290)   #186
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
In fact this is all very similar to the changes at Spa which took approximately 12 months from start to finish. But access for heavy equipment, to that circuit is far better than to Donington.
Old 9 Apr 2009, 11:33 (Ref:2437305)   #187
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Lets not forget that Donington had a single seater crash a few years back where the engine/gearbox went into the tunnel on the start finish straight resulting in a spectators death. I would have thought that "once bitten twice shy" !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 9 Apr 2009, 11:38 (Ref:2437310)   #188
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
F3000 and the driver's name (double barreled) escapes but he became a driver manager IIRC.
Old 9 Apr 2009, 11:43 (Ref:2437317)   #189
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
F3000 and the driver's name (double barreled) escapes but he became a driver manager IIRC.
I thought it was Allan McNish.

Are thinking of Andrew Gilbert Scott?
Old 9 Apr 2009, 11:45 (Ref:2437319)   #190
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Wasn't it AGS who had that bad one. McNish lost the title at Donington but it wasn't that accident. Time for a google methinks.

Edit: Apologies to AGS it was indeed Allan. It apparently left him unconcious for three days too.
Old 9 Apr 2009, 11:47 (Ref:2437321)   #191
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Yes it was Alan Mcnish
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 9 Apr 2009, 11:51 (Ref:2437326)   #192
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=02d_1174250272
Athough the start of the crash was on the straight the rear section went all the way to the tunnel !
Old 9 Apr 2009, 12:07 (Ref:2437337)   #193
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Lets not forget that Donington had a single seater crash a few years back where the engine/gearbox went into the tunnel on the start finish straight resulting in a spectators death. I would have thought that "once bitten twice shy" !
The chap who looks after my car told me about the McNish crash last week (he used to race with him) when I was describing the tunnel situation, so definitely him, in F3000 I think he said. Whilst the site didn't look that bad from the driver's seat, just putting up some armco probably wouldn't be enough, it's too easy for a car to flip over armco. To be sure of everyone's safety you would need some high catch fencing as well a la Rockingham, surely Donington could get that in place quickly and stop all this speculation?
Old 9 Apr 2009, 13:03 (Ref:2437380)   #194
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which is exactly what all of this is!!
Old 9 Apr 2009, 15:41 (Ref:2437493)   #195
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I notice on the Autosport web site that the FIA are going to carry out an inspection of the progress (or otherwise) at Donington. I do hope that they will invest in some expert construction advice and that if that advice is "no way can this be delivered for the British GP 2010" that they I start thinking about an alternative now.

What I suspect will happen is that everyone will wait until about Easter 2010 and then express suprise that nothing is ready whilst assuring us that none of the blame can possibly laid at their door
Old 9 Apr 2009, 15:43 (Ref:2437496)   #196
Dave 455
Racer

Dave 455 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Britcar supercar weekend complete with Dutch Supercars which was due to run at Donington on 2/3/4 May has been re-scheduled to run at Rockingham the same weekend due to no circuit licence!
Old 9 Apr 2009, 16:29 (Ref:2437525)   #197
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by compte deGraves View Post
What I suspect will happen is that everyone will wait until about Easter 2010 and then express suprise that nothing is ready whilst assuring us that none of the blame can possibly laid at their door
Ooh, er, um, well the Abu Dhabi circuit may be ready by then.
Old 9 Apr 2009, 16:34 (Ref:2437533)   #198
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spoken like a true Brit Comte!.
I think we're looking at the beginning of the end.
Old 9 Apr 2009, 16:47 (Ref:2437541)   #199
PTRACER
Racer

England
Romford, Essex, U.K.
PTRACER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hopefully they'll give up on the idea of the British GP so they can a) Stop ruining the track, and b) Get the British GP back to Silverstone where it belongs.

Incidentally, did anyone get any photos of the HSCC races?
Old 9 Apr 2009, 16:49 (Ref:2437545)   #200
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Just caught this lot

Bernie was stopped becomming a BRDC member in about 59 when he was driving.

Seems Lotus event at Donnington is off

Bernie offered to lend BRDC money when they had their trousers taken down by Walkinshaw and his offer was refused

Question mark over most things to do with Donnington.

It's all about cash