Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 5 May 2010, 16:02 (Ref:2684860)   #176
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We got our report ready, I'll post a few shots more of the 10-10 participants.

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/event...rand-Prix.html
Old 5 May 2010, 16:29 (Ref:2684884)   #177
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
so here we go, I am sure the suspects will be able to recognise themselves...
All shots were taken close to Rascasse, and unfortunately my 1D got problems (probably caused by my own doing), so I had to revert to the old 10D, but I still hope you like them.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9445.1.jpg   IMG_9653.1.jpg   IMG_9999.1.jpg  

IMG_0144.1.jpg   IMG_0168.1.jpg   IMG_0652.1.jpg  

Last edited by henk4; 5 May 2010 at 16:37.
Old 5 May 2010, 16:49 (Ref:2684890)   #178
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Mussa View Post
I have put my F3 race on youTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuG9eAM5eMU
unfortunately the camera lead unplugged itself on lap 3 ...
That looks absolutely fantastic - its great to see some on-board at the type of speeds most of us are more used to and with some (no offence intended) missed apexes and the like, to show how tricky it is.

I did toy with going to spectate this year, but will go next time. I don't suppose there's any rental drives available for multiple champions like myself !?
Old 5 May 2010, 17:28 (Ref:2684912)   #179
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
pity indeed about the mishap in lap 1, after those two others got in front of you and eliminated again by you and by themself respectively, Colassacco was long gone. Did you get to see anybody else during the race? (Apart from the slow cars?)
Old 5 May 2010, 17:44 (Ref:2684923)   #180
RICHARD.T
Racer

RICHARD.T should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Back at last. What a great race event.
On the point about 'the Brits did not shine', you should have seen how much more seriously the frount running Europeans took it and they said that some of them were there to make a name for themselves. It showed in the way they drove. They were really on it, in quolifying and the race.
I made a poor start but did not lose a place (I am the car infront of Marcus in his video on U Tube). After watching their driving on the first lap I considered it best to stay back, not get involved and see what happened, even though I felt I was as quick as them.
I have learnt a lot, which I hope will mean I will be quicker next time, if there is a next time. I recon I could get atleast a second off my lap times now.

Thanks Marcus for the video and all your hard work at Monaco. I hope you are able to post the rest of the video as it was exciting stuff.

Regards
Trotty
Old 5 May 2010, 17:52 (Ref:2684927)   #181
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
got you as well...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0020.1.jpg  
Old 5 May 2010, 23:07 (Ref:2685079)   #182
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm not too good on the technology of posting photos but there are a few here of my 2 cars:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...0&l=1a570fd691
Old 6 May 2010, 08:18 (Ref:2685202)   #183
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Marcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
pity indeed about the mishap in lap 1, after those two others got in front of you and eliminated again by you and by themself respectively, Colassacco was long gone. Did you get to see anybody else during the race? (Apart from the slow cars?)
I finally caught my "aggressor", a Danish driver who shall not be named, just before the big crash at the top of the hill. We then spent ages trying to catch the safety car and finally hooked up to Colasacco and the rest of the train, which included some back markers, before the SC came in. I passed the Danish driver at the Chicane (same manoeuvre as the first lap) but could not get close to the leaders. I think then Colasacco got past Trotty. They were all much faster than I over one lap so I don't think I could have kept up, first lap incident or not.

The rest of my film was black (but I have the sound!).
Old 6 May 2010, 09:47 (Ref:2685235)   #184
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Having been using the resource over the weekend and now finding it totally updated with all results in some detail it seems worth commenting that the ACM put together an excellent web site for the Historique event.
Old 6 May 2010, 12:16 (Ref:2685317)   #185
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Having been using the resource over the weekend and now finding it totally updated with all results in some detail it seems worth commenting that the ACM put together an excellent web site for the Historique event.
Which makes you wonder why press accreditation took over one and a half hour....
Old 6 May 2010, 13:23 (Ref:2685356)   #186
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
I finally caught my "aggressor", a Danish driver who shall not be named, just before the big crash at the top of the hill. We then spent ages trying to catch the safety car and finally hooked up to Colasacco and the rest of the train, which included some back markers, before the SC came in. I passed the Danish driver at the Chicane (same manoeuvre as the first lap) but could not get close to the leaders. I think then Colasacco got past Trotty. They were all much faster than I over one lap so I don't think I could have kept up, first lap incident or not.

The rest of my film was black (but I have the sound!).
I suspect that Danish driver may have carried number 18...I actually watched most of the race from the Stars in Bars place, having decided to have an early lunch before the actual break. Speed differences between the 1.6 and 2.0 liter classes were substantial, but probably also driver capabilities, judging from the way the crash before Rascasse was created.
Old 6 May 2010, 15:41 (Ref:2685432)   #187
dikko
Veteran

United Kingdom
Herts
dikko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
A lot of action there Marcus, well done for getting through it..... As much action as you would get with FFords I'm sure!!

Old 6 May 2010, 18:20 (Ref:2685523)   #188
Racesport
Rookie

Italy
Milano, Itlay
Racesport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a fantastic Event was Monaco!

Here is my start from the back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ilLjLXiVRw

Carlo
Old 6 May 2010, 18:32 (Ref:2685526)   #189
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racesport View Post
What a fantastic Event was Monaco!

Here is my start from the back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ilLjLXiVRw

Carlo
and this is how I saw you...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9993.1.jpg  
Old 7 May 2010, 15:42 (Ref:2686054)   #190
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
I suspect that Danish driver may have carried number 18...I actually watched most of the race from the Stars in Bars place, having decided to have an early lunch before the actual break. Speed differences between the 1.6 and 2.0 liter classes were substantial, but probably also driver capabilities, judging from the way the crash before Rascasse was created.
It is a great shame (but totally understandable) that people tend to want later F3 cars as they are clearly substantially more powerful - the 1.6 cars are very pretty IMHO
Old 7 May 2010, 16:07 (Ref:2686066)   #191
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
It is a great shame (but totally understandable) that people tend to want later F3 cars as they are clearly substantially more powerful - the 1.6 cars are very pretty IMHO
Nail on the head Simon!!!!!!
Old 7 May 2010, 18:18 (Ref:2686177)   #192
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1600 F3s can be made to go quickly, as Peter Dunn showed at Monaco. I was talking to Richard Ranson about it, and he reckons there are quite a few 1600 cars sitting doing nothing. With Toyota spares becoming increasingly scarce, a good old 1600 Twincam might be a sensible choice for wings and slicks racing, with the opportunity to do some nice events.

The F3 race at Monaco was one of the best of the weekend, with some histrionics after a shunt that were very much in keeping with the racing in period. I hope they get a chance to race there again soon. Maybe, rather than having two F3 races, they could have a Front-Engined Junior race and 1 Litre F3 race at one meeting, and a Rear-Engined Junior race paired with a 1.6/2-Litre F3 race at the next.
Old 7 May 2010, 18:19 (Ref:2686181)   #193
PTRACER
Racer

England
Romford, Essex, U.K.
PTRACER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Feel sorry for the poor bugger who backed it into the barrier on the first lap.
Old 7 May 2010, 18:31 (Ref:2686192)   #194
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTRACER View Post
Feel sorry for the poor bugger who backed it into the barrier on the first lap.
Paul Smith? He was quite philosophical about it afterwards. He felt he was going really well, and wanted to push on, having made a good start. The onboard footage from Marcus (and some other in-car stuff I've seen) shows that Mr Mussa was really pushing as well, getting intimate with the barriers at times...

The person I really feel sorry for was the guy in the 1 Litre F3 race, who was sitting on the grid, minding his own business, when he got hit by a car moving up to his grid slot. Result - two retirements before the race had even started. That would kind of put a damper on the weekend...
Old 7 May 2010, 18:51 (Ref:2686201)   #195
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post

The person I really feel sorry for was the guy in the 1 Litre F3 race, who was sitting on the grid, minding his own business, when he got hit by a car moving up to his grid slot. Result - two retirements before the race had even started. That would kind of put a damper on the weekend...
That was Klaus Bergs, and he was rather bitter about it. His steering got bent when an Italian drove over his front wheel.
Old 7 May 2010, 19:34 (Ref:2686228)   #196
Alan Morgan
Veteran

I can fully understand his bitterness...

However, it's hard for people who haven't been to the Monaco Historique GP to understand the pressure that builds up over the days of the meeting. We were consigned to the Pecheurs multi-storey carpark, and therefore separated from the main paddocks. However, it was noticeable that grizzled veterans of domestic F3 racing were getting togged up 90 minutes before their race. The cars were ushered out an hour before the start, only to sit in the road for 45 minutes, with drivers getting increasingly nervous.

The pressure must have been even greater for the 1 Litre guys, and these factors probably contributed to the problems on the grid. It was a silly accident, but forgiveable under the circumstances.
Old 7 May 2010, 19:46 (Ref:2686235)   #197
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
I can fully understand his bitterness...

However, it's hard for people who haven't been to the Monaco Historique GP to understand the pressure that builds up over the days of the meeting. We were consigned to the Pecheurs multi-storey carpark, and therefore separated from the main paddocks. However, it was noticeable that grizzled veterans of domestic F3 racing were getting togged up 90 minutes before their race. The cars were ushered out an hour before the start, only to sit in the road for 45 minutes, with drivers getting increasingly nervous.

The pressure must have been even greater for the 1 Litre guys, and these factors probably contributed to the problems on the grid. It was a silly accident, but forgiveable under the circumstances.
for the 1-litre guys the procedure was the same as for everybody else, and being the first race, there should have been absolutely no pressure. The parking de Pecheurs is somewhat different. Perhaps it would have been better if the assembly area would have been in the parking and that from there every car could have moved straight to the pre-grid area behind the F1 paddock. On the other hand, having all the engines running in the parking is probably also not a good idea.....
It is always a compromise, also because of the peculiarities of the Monaco track, but I do think that what happened to Klaus could have easily been avoided.
Old 7 May 2010, 20:03 (Ref:2686244)   #198
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Quote:
On the other hand, having all the engines running in the parking is probably also not a good idea.....
PARDON!!!??!!? - SAY THAT AGAIN!

...40 unsilenced MAEs in a multi-storey car park - such exquisite torture!..

Last edited by Alan Morgan; 7 May 2010 at 20:04. Reason: Further thoughts
Old 7 May 2010, 20:15 (Ref:2686253)   #199
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
PARDON!!!??!!? - SAY THAT AGAIN!

...40 unsilenced MAEs in a multi-storey car park - such exquisite torture!..
the love for race engines can be killing....
Old 7 May 2010, 20:38 (Ref:2686258)   #200
schuey57
Rookie

schuey57 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
1600 F3s can be made to go quickly, as Peter Dunn showed at Monaco. I was talking to Richard Ranson about it, and he reckons there are quite a few 1600 cars sitting doing nothing. With Toyota spares becoming increasingly scarce, a good old 1600 Twincam might be a sensible choice for wings and slicks racing, with the opportunity to do some nice events.

The F3 race at Monaco was one of the best of the weekend, with some histrionics after a shunt that were very much in keeping with the racing in period. I hope they get a chance to race there again soon. Maybe, rather than having two F3 races, they could have a Front-Engined Junior race and 1 Litre F3 race at one meeting, and a Rear-Engined Junior race paired with a 1.6/2-Litre F3 race at the next.
no-one wants a 1600f3 in the uk when a inv ff2000 goes quicker and the 2ltr f3 blow them in the weeds down the straight, give them a restrictor break, but I agree the 1600 f3 driver at monaco certainly showed some of the 2ltr boys the way round