Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 31 Jul 2013, 08:26 (Ref:3284109)   #176
retrognome
Racer

retrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigley View Post
Sorry Peter but the language and grammar of the report feels as though it was written by a 11 year year old. It's almost as if the author just copied up some shorthand notes.

I agree. There will be a closing report which, for good or bad, will be written in my own inimitable style and appearing either tonight or tomorrow morning.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0872.jpg  
Old 31 Jul 2013, 08:36 (Ref:3284111)   #177
dikko
Veteran

United Kingdom
Herts
dikko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One Historic Formula Ford general Report here

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...13#post3239813

Written by a 60-odd yr old going on 11.......
Old 31 Jul 2013, 08:36 (Ref:3284112)   #178
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigley View Post
On a more cheerful note. Did any of you fantastic (crawl, crawl) snappers sully your lens by pointing them at the white Beemer M6 that we (S/C) were playing with during the weekend. We only broke it once.
Only managed a quick snap from afar so just one plus a copy of it in arty form which can work well for historics but not sure it does anything for the M6:
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0935.jpg   Safety Car.jpg  
Old 31 Jul 2013, 08:38 (Ref:3284113)   #179
percy
Racer

percy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just this one of the Beemer...

Old 31 Jul 2013, 08:56 (Ref:3284118)   #180
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'll not get involved with the discussion on report quality as I let rip on the Le Mans Legends thread a while back. However, I can say that I spent much of the weekend with Kev and he watched all the races and made copious notes on each of the races, as he has done since a child. For those who still buy or read Autosport, his report will be in the next issue but will have the usual constraints on space and wordcount. I imagine it will be 4 pages with pics. Although he is currently Features Editor, he is also their official BTCC reporter (yes, you need it on your CV!) but he chose to report on the Classic as he loves his historic racing.

Last edited by John Turner; 31 Jul 2013 at 09:07.
Old 31 Jul 2013, 09:06 (Ref:3284122)   #181
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Race 8 - Masters Historic Sports Cars (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFiama View Post
Quick question, in your last set of pictures you have a photo of the Dulon Dino LD10B.

Does anyone know the history of this car? I'd never seen or heard of it before Saturday but it looks very nice. Did it achieve anything racing in period? Any info on it would be much appreciated, a Google search reveals nothing but a few recent races in classic events.
I'm afraid that I don't, Johnny. Anyone?

A few more from the race, but my next lot (hopefully later today) will be some of the pit stops which I find as atmospheric as any of it!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9735wb.jpg   IMG_9749wb.jpg   IMG_9766wb.jpg  

IMG_9767wb.jpg   IMG_9788wb.jpg   IMG_9809wb.jpg  

Old 31 Jul 2013, 09:35 (Ref:3284133)   #182
mark garritt
Rookie

United Kingdom
Sunny Bucks
mark garritt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFiama View Post
Great pictures, thank you for sharing. I wish I'd been on Sunday as well to see the Group C cars.

Quick question, in your last set of pictures you have a photo of the Dulon Dino LD10B.

Does anyone know the history of this car? I'd never seen or heard of it before Saturday but it looks very nice. Did it achieve anything racing in period? Any info on it would be much appreciated, a Google search reveals nothing but a few recent races in classic events.
Hi,

You might know this, I think the car you refer to belongs to Jim Morris of Lifeline fame, or should that be flame... He bought it at the Coy's auction at NEC a couple of years ago. he's a thoroughly nice guy and if you drop him an e-mail at work, I'm sure he'd be happy to tell you about the car. He's building up a decent collection of cars and inherited his fathers passion for motorsport
Old 31 Jul 2013, 11:50 (Ref:3284185)   #183
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just thought i share my views on the weekend, this is the 3rd time ive been to the classic and every time it gets better. With such a wide range of cars on show, not just racing but also road, there is so much to look and that's before you start with the racing and the entertainment areas. Anyways here are my vids with sum of the action from the week, any comments welcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP4crqTvYSg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIJO7vHRQFM
Old 31 Jul 2013, 11:52 (Ref:3284187)   #184
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 8 - Masters Historic Sports Cars - Pit Stops!

Herewith:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9853wb.jpg   IMG_9859wb.jpg   IMG_9863dbx.jpg  

IMG_9868wb.jpg   IMG_9902wb.jpg   IMG_9915wb.jpg  

Old 31 Jul 2013, 16:55 (Ref:3284318)   #185
dan_ferguson
Rookie

dan_ferguson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We had a good weekend. Highlights have to be seeing a 917 running in the flesh, Huffy in the mini and the Lotus 79.

Unfortunate for Patrick Watts - we were stood on the inside of Copse, and he had one of the longest accidents I've ever seen.

Did anyone else encounter a gent with a bugle?
Old 31 Jul 2013, 17:25 (Ref:3284329)   #186
Cookie2000
Rookie

England
England
Cookie2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Yes I did but it's not very good, you insisted on hiding in a Stalag. And I only ave a phone not a camera.
That photo is remarkably similar to one I took! Had to compare them side-by-side to realise the gate is closed on yours, but open on mine!
Old 31 Jul 2013, 18:08 (Ref:3284339)   #187
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_ferguson View Post
We had a good weekend. Highlights have to be seeing a 917 running in the flesh

Did anyone else encounter a gent with a bugle?
Agree about the 917 and yes. No idea why the bugle, but he walked through the new wing paddock at some point!

Old 31 Jul 2013, 19:35 (Ref:3284365)   #188
jcdeleted
Rookie

jcdeleted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Great to see you, Gary, and all the other tenthers who came by for a chat, or I bumped into on travels.

That wasn't a race though! When a hugely experienced and respected racer says something on the lines that 'he has never wanted a race to stop so much' you get the idea. We may as well have got the entry fee in cash, torn it up and thrown the notes down the storm drain...... (I'll give a lengthier race report later!)

PHP Code:
I see a lot of negative posts about the racesthe eventthe cost etcI also not that virtually all are from posters that do not attend and probably never willFranklyyour lossI can and have previously criticised aspects of the eventThe bigger they getthe easier it isBut it still the biggest historic race meeting in UK for entrant numbers and still attracts full grids and thousands of spectatorsincluding an increasing proportion of families this yearwhich I was pleased to see
JDog, you do not have to justify your grid. It is primarily a race for SuperTourers and there is nothing wrong with that! And there were invitation cars in other grids as well.....

So now to unload, road test SLR to see if brake pull during race was actually that or aquaplaning, then get on with life.

I spent the whole three days there, and mainly enjoyed it. but was at times rather underwhelmed. Then again, I'm pretty well-known as a cantankerous and curmudgeonly old git.

Much more importantly, it was my sister's first ever historic meeting and she found the whole experience absolulutely wonderful apart from the monsoon and the BMW promotional commentary fillers.

I spoke to many other paying punters over the weekend, including a couple who had travelled from Kiwiland, and I heard no significant negative comments at all. They were all very impressed/amazed by the size and variety of the grids, the wonderful noise, the quality and competitiveness of the racing, the all -areas access and the friendly atmosphere.

So, the organisers don't seem to be doing too much wrong.

My high point. Sitting in the dark stand at 8pm on Saturday, overlooking the river formerly known as Club Corner on the last lap of the Piper Heidsieck Trophy, when everyone in the stand spontaneously stood up and gave every single driver a standing ovation! Such a pity that the drivers could not see or hear this.

Mike; Absolute respect to you and all the others who turned out in those conditions, and raced!
Old 31 Jul 2013, 22:17 (Ref:3284407)   #189
snapper8v
Rookie

snapper8v should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My video from this years event:- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=judPjFmfhQI

Along with photos:-

FIA Masters F1 http://www.flickr.com/photos/lawrenc...7634870174693/

Grp C
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lawrenc...7634873032725/

FIA Masters Sports http://www.flickr.com/photos/lawrenc...7634873008465/

Super Touring
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lawrenc...7634874335657/

Pre '61 GP cars http://www.flickr.com/photos/lawrenc...7634873064655/

RAC Tourist trophy
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lawrenc...7634873084893/
Old 1 Aug 2013, 05:50 (Ref:3284504)   #190
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdeleted View Post
Much more importantly, it was my sister's first ever historic meeting and she found the whole experience absolulutely wonderful apart from the monsoon and the BMW promotional commentary fillers.

everyone in the stand spontaneously stood up and gave every single driver a standing ovation! Such a pity that the drivers could not see or hear this.

Mike; Absolute respect to you and all the others who turned out in those conditions, and raced!
Glad your sister enjoyed her first historic meeting. IMO it is a good event for first timers and families- my sis, partner and friends now come very year after attending their first Classic 3 years ago!

Luckily in paddock you dont get to hear the promos, but even at the Revival they now fill the screens between races.......

Nice to hear about the ovation from stands at race end, so thanks to everyone for that. Simon, the owner of our entry was driving at the time, but interior was completely misted up by then, so probably missed it! In my case I would not say I was racing- driving round as safely as possible more like it! When a car is worth getting on for twice your house value and doesn't belong to you it concentrates the mind!

Old 1 Aug 2013, 07:30 (Ref:3284528)   #191
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I had my family with me at the Silverstone Classic, wife and two boys, 6 and 8 years old
They had a great weekend, more than they expected.
The funfair was a highlight for them.

The Classic is the only meeting apart from the Goodwood Revival that would take the lot to.

Rudolf
Old 1 Aug 2013, 07:32 (Ref:3284531)   #192
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
aaand thankfully:
I wear earplugs most of the time, as I tend to be in or near running cars
never hear the commentary
was spared the BMW molestations

Rudolf
Old 1 Aug 2013, 07:37 (Ref:3284534)   #193
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If the BMW plugs were the price (or part of the price) for the whole meeting being economically viable (and, hopefully, profitable) then it seems a very cheap price.

Jim
Old 1 Aug 2013, 08:16 (Ref:3284549)   #194
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
If the BMW plugs were the price (or part of the price) for the whole meeting being economically viable (and, hopefully, profitable) then it seems a very cheap price.

Jim

That is a sensible comment, of course
yes, event sponsors fund part of the cost and bring prices down in a roundabout way.
As such they are good thing

buuuuut, it sounds to me as if half the messages on behalf of BMW would have had twice the effect

Rudolf
Old 1 Aug 2013, 08:35 (Ref:3284555)   #195
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudernst View Post
. . .
buuuuut, it sounds to me as if half the messages on behalf of BMW would have had twice the effect

Rudolf
Wouldn't disagree but then I'm not paid ££££s to design BMW's marketing strategy!

Jim
Old 1 Aug 2013, 09:07 (Ref:3284567)   #196
retrognome
Racer

retrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrognome View Post
I agree. There will be a closing report which, for good or bad, will be written in my own inimitable style and appearing either tonight or tomorrow morning.
I have now added my own report plus a couple of other specific race reports re Silverstone to our website, plus gallery and video. We can do no more, but any obvious mistakes would be gratefully acknowledged and accepted in the spirit of things. www.retro-speed.co.uk.
Old 1 Aug 2013, 13:53 (Ref:3284677)   #197
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
After along struggle with a revised web site I have now managed to post pictures from SOME of the races, only those that interested me I'm afraid, but if you prefer the '50's to the '60's+ please take a look.
www.rbmapics.com. *

I have a number from a couple of other races and a few from the paddock, which will probably appear later.

For me the essence of the event is concentrating on what interests you the most, trying to take in everything is tiresome in the extreme, especially spread over such a wide area. With that in mind I enjoyed the weekend.

Ingratiating yourself with the marshals is also a big help.

bauble.

* Use the 'slide show' for best results.
Old 2 Aug 2013, 11:21 (Ref:3284980)   #198
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 8 again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
For me the essence of the event is concentrating on what interests you the most, trying to take in everything is tiresome in the extreme, especially spread over such a wide area. bauble.
You do very well for an ancient, Bob!

Actually, I agree!

Last lot from Race 8:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9927wb.jpg   IMG_9938wb.jpg   IMG_9943wb.jpg  

IMG_9974wb.jpg   IMG_9990wb.jpg   IMG_0058wb.jpg  

Old 2 Aug 2013, 12:04 (Ref:3284985)   #199
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Last lot from race 8:-
Top right could be next caption photo........

Old 2 Aug 2013, 13:02 (Ref:3284998)   #200
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or second from left...Does my brumbrum look big in this?