Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 24 Sep 2002, 12:30 (Ref:387234)   #176
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think we can call this weekend quite a success really - any objections ?
Old 24 Sep 2002, 12:33 (Ref:387237)   #177
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by TimD
First things first - a huge commiseration to Kpy for catching a dose of influenza the week before the event. I think that officially comes under the heading of "force majeure" when it comes to meetings not happening. Hope you were at least able to make the Sunday.
Well, he received my messages in its bed, didn't he ?

Quote:
Originally posted by TimD
Fab, were you in the ACO tribune for those pix? Because you look as though you were so close to where we were for the first three grids. If perchance you glanced over your shoulder and saw three people and a baby just above a stairwell entrance, you will have seen us.
I were ! And FG, Ayse and Stoffer were too !!! Darn, we have to make those TT caps, don't we ? I met FG IN the grandstand because we met before and was looking for him ; in the other case... not any luck !

Next time I will take a picture BEHIND me !!! And 'll examine it at home ! Try to remember the baby, and I think I can ! Gosh... so close
Old 24 Sep 2002, 12:34 (Ref:387240)   #178
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by josvandeperre
I think we can call this weekend quite a success really - any objections ?
For me, I'll say that "success" is not strong enough !!!

Last edited by Fab; 24 Sep 2002 at 12:36.
Old 24 Sep 2002, 12:45 (Ref:387248)   #179
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by the18racer
We had a few dramas, though.
Is that one of those on the picture ?

We even hadn't the time to talk saturday morning at Solesmes ! Next time, maybe ... and wonderful E-Type anyway !
Old 24 Sep 2002, 13:09 (Ref:387273)   #180
the18racer
Rookie

the18racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't work out when you took this one Fab. At night? See you next time I hope.
Old 24 Sep 2002, 14:22 (Ref:387313)   #181
Stoffer Green
Rookie

Stoffer Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, what a great weekend!!!!!!!!!!!
Fab, thanks for the photograph which you sent me, my wife seems to like it, but I think it shows a high degree of dissipation - no doubt caused by the fun which Ayse and I had with the 18racer, Peter Neumark and the others.
Those guys did themselves proud, super cars, well prepared and very well driven.
Our other drivers were Willie and Whizzo, who did NOT have such good results. The Lister Jaguar struggled through practice with a knackered gear box, which only lasted for 2 laps in the first race. They were not impressed........
Willie also drove the Ligier which looked and sounded great, but sadly the owner-driver was punted off in the Dunlop Chicane on the first lap of the first plateau 5 race, and the front suspension was broken. Anyone want to buy a very nice Ligier Cosworth?
18racer, many thanks for putting up with us all weekend, please give my regards to all the other guys, Scott, Andrew and especially Peter. I hope you all got home OK. and HAPPY BIRTHDAY today! Are you up for it?
Old 24 Sep 2002, 14:22 (Ref:387314)   #182
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Old 24 Sep 2002, 14:23 (Ref:387315)   #183
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
So it's you indeed ! We were, with Ayse and Stoffer, above the pits in the grandstands... saturday evening, around 18h00 I guess...

Hope we'll have the time next time !

Last edited by Fab; 24 Sep 2002 at 14:24.
Old 24 Sep 2002, 14:33 (Ref:387318)   #184
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by Stoffer Green
Anyone want to buy a very nice Ligier Cosworth?
I want it !

Cheers Stoffer !
Old 24 Sep 2002, 15:25 (Ref:387352)   #185
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
looks like I missed a good time. maybe 2005.

Last edited by Nordic; 24 Sep 2002 at 15:32.
Old 24 Sep 2002, 15:38 (Ref:387358)   #186
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...

Quote:
Originally posted by Nordic
looks like I missed a good time. maybe 2005.
Nordic, if you plan 2005, you'll miss again : next one is 2004 !
Old 24 Sep 2002, 15:42 (Ref:387363)   #187
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
thanks. I will cancel the ferry!
there are some good pictures on www.cknet.org.uk taken by J Chabbert if you go to the fourm there and look for '917 sightings'.

Last edited by Nordic; 24 Sep 2002 at 15:44.
Old 24 Sep 2002, 17:26 (Ref:387415)   #188
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
OK. My turn. (Only just got home from work!). To anyone who thought, "no, perhaps I won't bother", you should be kicking yourself very long and hard. After 16 straight 24 Hours at Le Mans, I can honestly say that last weekend was better than many of those. A sensational weekend.

A lot of names have been mentioned, but I beg your indulgence, fellow members, while I thank a few.

To Peter Neumark and Mark Griffiths in particular, for giving me the opportunity of feeling part of the team effort and for being such thoroughly nice and genuine people. I will treasure that Assistance ticket that enabled me to wander freely around the pits whenever I wanted. To Willie Green and Whizzo Williams for their chauffering skills (and please can Whizzo take me around that roundabout just one more time........!). To everyone else, again, in particular to Stoffer and Fabrice for their wonderful company and to the rest of the boys (and girl!) in our "team", loads of Andrews, Scott, Ian, David, and anyne else who I've omitted to mention.

The racing was wonderful, the food and drink to die for. And as for Sunday night in Solesmes - I will remember the evening for a very long time.

Great fun to meet up with other 10/10ths members, Fab, FG1, Stefan (yes, after standing next to him for an hour in the stands, he finally twigged!), Stoffer and the18racer, of course.

No pics yet, I'm still digitally challenged (!), but I hope to post some in a couple of days and you'll know where to find the rest.

And finally, many many thanks to my bank manager, without whose unwitting but considerable assistance, I wouldn't have got there!

Even a day back at work today hasn't wiped the 5-day smile from my face. I think it will still be there for quite a while.........

Old 24 Sep 2002, 21:06 (Ref:387595)   #189
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I actualy saw one of the Hurricanes yesterday at the Aire de la Somme - Blue it was in - midafternoon - would it be unfair to liken it to a Lotus Elan stretched ?
That was us, as far as I know the car was the only one of its kind in France at the weekend! Only one of us travelled in the Hurricane at any time, the others being in TimD's Rover.
A thoroughly good time was had by all- little Ellie (11 months) loved the noise and lights at night and was lucky enough to be allowed to sit on a D-type for a photo after we told the owner about the picture of his car on Ellie's bedroom wall!

Saturday evening was spent in the Shanghai Des 24 Heures where our meal was accompanied by the sound of cars at speed on the n138/Mulsanne Straight just a few yards away. Sadly the ACO insist on errecting fences with green netting so that you can't see anything! Afterwards, we wandered down to Arnage where we found the viewing area had been opened so we watched the first two night races from there- group 5 and group 1.
We went back to the Shanghai after the raceing on Sunday and met up again with a bunch of chaps who have been regulars there for many years. We rounded off our weekend with a blast round the now reopened roads of the circuit before heading off to our stack of shoeboxes (Hotel Formule 1) at Alencon.
It was good to be at Le Mans again, can't wait for next time!
Old 25 Sep 2002, 13:45 (Ref:388048)   #190
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Sounds like I definately did miss out as I was unable to go as I broke my leg. I will put it in my diary for next year (Does anyone know the date). I am very envious of the pits tickets etc as it must really put a different angle on it to feel part of the event and a team. I think its time I bought a old car - any ideas!

Last edited by Mal; 25 Sep 2002 at 13:46.
Old 25 Sep 2002, 13:50 (Ref:388051)   #191
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, you'll have to wait a little longer I'm afraid, Mal. Next year it's Le Mans Legends as Saturday support for the main race in June, and then the Classic returns for autumn 2004.

Time enough to build a car, I reckon. The fields were heavily over-subscribed, so I would suggest choosing something with a Le Mans history that no one else has thought to race. Hmm - no one entered a Ford Capri RS this time round... how about one of those?
Old 25 Sep 2002, 14:13 (Ref:388067)   #192
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Not a bad idea, shall we put together a 10/10ths entry?
Old 25 Sep 2002, 14:36 (Ref:388079)   #193
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
How about a Rover Turbine?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 25 Sep 2002, 15:20 (Ref:388110)   #194
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
Entry fee this year was about 3500 euro including food for the first two drivers - I vote for something with lots of metal to protect the driver - a role for which I volunteer - a sixties 911 makes a lot of sense
Old 25 Sep 2002, 15:21 (Ref:388111)   #195
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins
How about a Rover Turbine?

I'd like to see one of those. Are they still about gathering dust somewhere?
Old 25 Sep 2002, 15:22 (Ref:388113)   #196
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Entry fee this year was about 3500 euro including food for the first two drivers - I vote for something with lots of metal to protect the driver - a role for which I volunteer - a sixties 911 makes a lot of sense

Sense maybe, excitement though - not a lot!
Old 25 Sep 2002, 15:52 (Ref:388140)   #197
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Rover BRM Turbine cars - I think the 1963 "00" car was used as the base to build the 1965 "31" car. Someone correct me if I'm off beam here.

After many years in the Science Museum, the 1965 car was sent to Syon Park for the BL museum, and is now a part of the BMIHT museum at Gaydon. It's a non-runner at the moment, although I have seen an edition of Top Gear from the last 10 years or so, where Tiff Needell track tests it. However, it came out to this year's Goodwood Revival where it was a static exhibit in the Graham Hill Tribute. I understand that the problem is lack of turbine spares, and that it's unlikely to be up and running any time soon.

Sorry guys - think that's ruled that one out, even if the museum could be persuaded to race one of its prime exhibits.
Old 26 Sep 2002, 05:34 (Ref:388609)   #198
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
I'd vote for another Matra on the track... remember the sound of the 650 that was here on saturday ? Imagine a fifth "plateau" (category ) with some more 917, real 512 (where were they ?) of the early 70', some more Daytonas... and the V12-Matras !!!

Well, I'm a little bit pennyless for the moment, but if there's any rich fan around, he's welcome... I'll pay the food...

For the turbine engine, I'll go for an Howmet... real nice on the pics (never saw them in real).
Old 26 Sep 2002, 07:58 (Ref:388649)   #199
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
I think I would like to run a 908, often overlooked, rarely seen in the UK but very pretty and fast. I don't think any ran at LM'C this year?
Old 26 Sep 2002, 08:10 (Ref:388658)   #200
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
Funny that - I thought I saw a 908/3 spyder with high tail running but its not on the entry list - then again as noted above there was supposed to be a 512M which I never saw