Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 6 Feb 2013, 18:44 (Ref:3200287)   #1976
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just looking at the Autosport story and the Speed story and there appears to be some conflicting info on what the base tub will be for the coupe DW.

Speed says it will still be based on the AMR tub, while the Autosport story says it is a new tub.
Old 6 Feb 2013, 18:49 (Ref:3200289)   #1977
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Quit asking logical questions.

Maybe Elan actually wants to be an engine supplier for the 2014 LMP1 regs, but your guess is as good as mine.
I'm really confused... that article started out like we all know what is going on but we don't. Marshall didn't ask important questions like, "Hey, where's Ben, Dan, and Duncan?" or "Why?".
Old 6 Feb 2013, 18:57 (Ref:3200292)   #1978
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Just looking at the Autosport story and the Speed story and there appears to be some conflicting info on what the base tub will be for the coupe DW.

Speed says it will still be based on the AMR tub, while the Autosport story says it is a new tub.
So let them build a LMP around that tub then
Old 6 Feb 2013, 19:20 (Ref:3200302)   #1979
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Either way it's still a new tub right? Just a bit of extra context from Speed.
Old 6 Feb 2013, 19:21 (Ref:3200303)   #1980
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Probably the new tub is based on the AR One tub, because that tub is a proven, crash-tested design.

As far as I know there are no AMR-One tubs left, so the new tub might be based on the AMR-One but with minor adjustments to hang the different bits?
Old 6 Feb 2013, 19:36 (Ref:3200310)   #1981
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
As far as I know there are no AMR-One tubs left, so the new tub might be based on the AMR-One but with minor adjustments to hang the different bits?
There is one AMR-One tub left and it was at elan in September. I know that Dr. P wants to use his patented REAMS/carbon fiber process in the construction of the new tubs.
Old 6 Feb 2013, 20:51 (Ref:3200341)   #1982
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
I was thinking they copied the AMR1 tub to be able to use all existing tooling to continue on without having major design time. Wouldn't you have to pay royalty to the AMR1 design team (their design is becoming successful over time). If you were using the REAMS, I would think you would have to be tested again because of material/process change? But, if it only racing here do you need to crash test it?

Nothing about the deltawing project is ever going to fit in a box is it?
Old 6 Feb 2013, 21:29 (Ref:3200362)   #1983
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A true prototype!
Old 7 Feb 2013, 05:17 (Ref:3200497)   #1984
deltawing
Racer

deltawing should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddeltawing should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
..... Marshall didn't ask important questions like, "Hey, where's Ben, Dan, and Duncan?" or "Why?".
I am pretty sure he did, but from the other side he heard "If you want an interview, dont ask me those questions"
Old 7 Feb 2013, 09:47 (Ref:3200587)   #1985
Great Dane
Rookie

Denmark
Great Dane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I'm really confused... that article started out like we all know what is going on but we don't. Marshall didn't ask important questions like, "Hey, where's Ben, Dan, and Duncan?" or "Why?".
MONEY, I think
Old 7 Feb 2013, 09:48 (Ref:3200588)   #1986
optica
Racer

United Kingdom
Bucks
optica should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridoptica should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridoptica should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My main interest with the DeltaWing was that it achieved what it did with only 300BHP so where the car is going now seems as though it might betray the original concept. I was fascinated to see just how far its potential with the limited power output might evolve so I'm hoping they keep it pegged at 300 to maintain its efficiency advantages. I find it difficult to believe that Ben Bowlby won't be having some influence on the car's future development whoever controls the purse strings.
Old 7 Feb 2013, 18:56 (Ref:3200841)   #1987
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by optica View Post
My main interest with the DeltaWing was that it achieved what it did with only 300BHP so where the car is going now seems as though it might betray the original concept. I was fascinated to see just how far its potential with the limited power output might evolve so I'm hoping they keep it pegged at 300 to maintain its efficiency advantages. I find it difficult to believe that Ben Bowlby won't be having some influence on the car's future development whoever controls the purse strings.
I think what makes the D-Wing story so remarkable, is it started out as a potential alternative to the Dallara IR03/05, which was getting very long in the tooth and ended up competing in Le Mans last year.
Old 7 Feb 2013, 23:53 (Ref:3200963)   #1988
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
I read they'll also be building a closed version of the Deltawing. I can't wait to see how cool that's gonna look.
Old 8 Feb 2013, 12:46 (Ref:3201195)   #1989
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by optica View Post
in a way yes its impressive.......a bit like world rally cars only had "300bhp".......where in reality they actually had 360bhp and over 600NM or torque from boost-unlimited engines, but did have a 34mm restrictor!!.....the torque figure for the DW Nissan would have been substantial considering its turbocharged nature.......I'm keen to know more about the details of the replacement mazda engine, because if its 300bhp and normally aspirated engine, it will perform quite differently with half the torque value of a turbo engine........certainly will be interesting to watch though.
Old 8 Feb 2013, 13:53 (Ref:3201221)   #1990
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
in a way yes its impressive.......a bit like world rally cars only had "300bhp".......where in reality they actually had 360bhp and over 600NM or torque from boost-unlimited engines, but did have a 34mm restrictor!!.....the torque figure for the DW Nissan would have been substantial considering its turbocharged nature.......I'm keen to know more about the details of the replacement mazda engine, because if its 300bhp and normally aspirated engine, it will perform quite differently with half the torque value of a turbo engine........certainly will be interesting to watch though.
The new mazda engine is going to be turbo charged. From the Speed article:

Quote:
Based off of the 2.0-liter Mazda MZR engine found in the Van Diemen Elan USF2000 chassis, the new mill is slightly smaller at 1.9 liters, and adds both direct fuel-injection and a twin turbo system to double the 4-cylinder, twin-cam’s output.

Rated at 170hp in the USF2000 car, the DeltaWing unit, which replaces the 1.6-liter RML-designed Nissan engine that propelled the car in 2012, is currently achieving 345hp on the dyno, with 350 lf-ft. of torque at 6500rpms. That's an increase of almost 50hp over the Nissan, further improving the car's power-to-weight ratio.

“We’re about 15 pounds lighter than the Nissan engine right now and two inches shorter than the stock Mazda,” Panoz continued. “This engine is being developed for P1 and P2; we’re doing a batch of 40 engines at the moment. We liked what we saw with the bottom end of the one Mazda engine, and the top end of another Mazda engine, so we’re putting them together with the new billet block.”
Anybody want to take a guess as to why they are making 40 of these engines?
Old 8 Feb 2013, 14:04 (Ref:3201225)   #1991
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Because they pop easily...?
Old 8 Feb 2013, 14:36 (Ref:3201244)   #1992
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Maybe there is another series planning on using them in the near future. *cough* Indy Lights*cough*
Old 8 Feb 2013, 14:57 (Ref:3201253)   #1993
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
Maybe there is another series planning on using them in the near future. *cough* Indy Lights*cough*
That would be interesting.
Old 8 Feb 2013, 17:45 (Ref:3201316)   #1994
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Because they pop easily...?
I didn't want to go there......

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
Would be great to see, that way the engine will get the development it deserves, which can only benefit the DW project.
Old 8 Feb 2013, 17:57 (Ref:3201328)   #1995
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Michelin gone. Bridgestone/Firestone now the likely tire supplier. Story over at Speed.

Indy Lights indeed.
Old 9 Feb 2013, 18:26 (Ref:3201872)   #1996
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
Will it be available for sale? I'm pretty sure this is how every murder mystery begins.
Old 9 Feb 2013, 18:35 (Ref:3201884)   #1997
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
Michelin gone. Bridgestone/Firestone now the likely tire supplier. Story over at Speed.

Indy Lights indeed.
Here's the link to that Speed article.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...eltawing-exit/
Old 9 Feb 2013, 18:42 (Ref:3201889)   #1998
IndyDonut
Racer

United States
New York City
IndyDonut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On the carbon fiber engine thing, here's some links to read up on:
http://www.automobilemag.com/green/n...tty_holtzberg/
http://blog.caranddriver.com/is-this...-engine-block/
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...er-engine.html
Matti Holtzberg's been at it for decades now, if anybody can build a race-ready carbon-fibre block engine, it's him.
Old 10 Feb 2013, 11:55 (Ref:3202367)   #1999
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Very interesting. thanks. but i do detect a hint of BS about the "mazda" engine. to my knowledge its the ford duratec engine. which is not small and will not be lighter than the rml designed nissan.
Old 10 Feb 2013, 16:30 (Ref:3202439)   #2000
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
Very interesting. thanks. but i do detect a hint of BS about the "mazda" engine. to my knowledge its the ford duratec engine. which is not small and will not be lighter than the rml designed nissan.
And while it's MZR-R based, it's not a Mazda. It'll be badged Elan Power.