Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 27 Jan 2014, 12:31 (Ref:3360475)   #2001
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowsley View Post
How was MRN that bad? Never listened before but def not up to RLM spec. They called IMSA, "ISMA."
MRN said the Lola-Mazda was a DP because it had a roof.
MRN said Petit Le Mans was at Road America, not Road Atlanta.
MRN said that CORE Autosport was developing the Porsche P1 car.
MRN said that TRG won overall in 2001 and the Viper won overall in 2003.
MRN kept calling the car classes series, for some reason.
They repeatedly mis-pronounced names.
They repeatedly got engine/chassis combos wrong on the P2 cars.

It's as if they were beamed down from a spaceship at 2:09 and told to relay what they were seeing for 24 Hours.

It was awful every second of the broadcast, and slap in the face of anyone who had ever seen a sportscar race before.
Old 27 Jan 2014, 13:38 (Ref:3360500)   #2002
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
Looking at this footage over and over again I cannot stop myself thinking Gidley made a bad mistake by jinxing to the left of the 'Brazilian' Ferrari #65 and running into the back of the Risi Ferrari #62 at full speed.

Take a look at the part starting at 0:50 where IMO Gidley has a clear line of sight of 62 and when 65 is starting to come over from the left side to the middle of the track to avoid 62, Gidley touches the brakes and make his 'fatal' move to the left. He should have realised that the 65 was making room for himself since he already could have seen 62 (as described above) and should have stayed on his right as well, expecting 65 to not fully pulling over to the right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISTDv5492R4
Old 27 Jan 2014, 13:54 (Ref:3360505)   #2003
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A few people have surmised that it could have been much worse if it was a P2 car involved. But I wonder whether reduced visibility of a closed-top was a factor.

Unrelated - a very cool picture of one of the Vipers post-race: http://instagram.com/p/jpNV_eo3F5/
Old 27 Jan 2014, 14:11 (Ref:3360507)   #2004
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Looking at this footage over and over again I cannot stop myself thinking Gidley made a bad mistake by jinxing to the left of the 'Brazilian' Ferrari #65 and running into the back of the Risi Ferrari #62 at full speed.

Take a look at the part starting at 0:50 where IMO Gidley has a clear line of sight of 62 and when 65 is starting to come over from the left side to the middle of the track to avoid 62, Gidley touches the brakes and make his 'fatal' move to the left. He should have realised that the 65 was making room for himself since he already could have seen 62 (as described above) and should have stayed on his right as well, expecting 65 to not fully pulling over to the right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISTDv5492R4
Had he known the car was literally stopped on course, he wouldn't have gone back to the left. He either did not see it all or only got a glimpse of it and thought it was at speed before it disappeared from his sight behind the car directly in front. The Green Ferrari made the move to avoid the slow car, and Gidley made the move to the left to get past him on the inside of the kink.

Of course he should have gone to the right; ain't hindsight wonderful?
Old 27 Jan 2014, 14:20 (Ref:3360511)   #2005
Scooter185
Racer

United States
Connecticut
Scooter185 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At one point MRN said that PC is what was called P2 in alms. Also, very rarely did they say the car number/team name, instead just saying the driver name. That doesn't work in endurance racing when you have 4+ drivers per car.
Old 27 Jan 2014, 14:24 (Ref:3360514)   #2006
Danathar
Racer

Danathar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMan View Post

It's as if they were beamed down from a spaceship at 2:09 and told to relay what they were seeing for 24 Hours.

It was awful every second of the broadcast, and slap in the face of anyone who had ever seen a sportscar race before.
On the upside, it can only get better since it's rock bottom now, but the idea of Sebring without the voice of John Hindhaugh over the loudspeakers is going to be hard to deal with.
Old 27 Jan 2014, 14:24 (Ref:3360515)   #2007
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There was only 10 seconds between the initial slowdown of the Ferrari and Gidley's DP hitting the back of it. Not really enough time to make any calls about it, I'd have said.

The setting sun was also right in the faces of the drivers along that stretch at that time in the race. I recall a number of mentions from the commentary team about how poor visibility was, and they ran some replays of other in-car cameras to demonstrate the glare. It may be that the slowing car was almost invisible, especially at that closing speed.
Old 27 Jan 2014, 15:27 (Ref:3360537)   #2008
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I do remember a few years ago when there were some BMW radio messages at Road America telling the drivers to use the push to pass feature.
I remember this too... "use the button" I think was the phrase, prompting everybody else to ask, "what button?".
Old 27 Jan 2014, 15:52 (Ref:3360556)   #2009
pederb
Veteran

European Union
Berlin
pederb has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:

Love the names of the broadcasters, durning the race
Old 27 Jan 2014, 15:58 (Ref:3360562)   #2010
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowsley View Post
They said the course was 8 turns. Nah. The Bus Stop alone is 4 turns.

NASCAR people have serious counting problems when you realize an oval with two 180s is four turns even before the spin.
Old 27 Jan 2014, 16:11 (Ref:3360567)   #2011
wheelz22
Racer

United States
NJ
wheelz22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by canamman View Post
What a weekend. Cant wait to run through it on the DVR.
We just left the kink stands 30 minutes prior to the
Gidley accident. Kinda glad we did not see it in person from the sound
of the tv announcers on the scanners.

On the cautions, all depends who you are pulling for.
The way I see it , there are only 4 cars on the track who did not want a caution, the class leaders. That final restart was extremely entertaining
to watch from high up in the towers of Daytonas front straight.

Now looking toward Sebring to see how the P2's will do.
Should be their day.
Your DVR is in for quite a workout....especially in the last hour if you skip all the ads....http://tentenths.com/forum/images/smilies/rotate.gif
Old 27 Jan 2014, 16:23 (Ref:3360570)   #2012
wheelz22
Racer

United States
NJ
wheelz22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I briefly tuned into MRN on-line just to see what it was like....and I think they had their NASCAR guy (Eli Gold) at the controls....he wasn't even describing the on-track action for the 5 minutes I listened. They're gonna need sports car guys if they hope to continue with coverage (and remotely hope to have a listening audience).
Old 27 Jan 2014, 16:41 (Ref:3360578)   #2013
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danathar View Post
On the upside, it can only get better since it's rock bottom now, but the idea of Sebring without the voice of John Hindhaugh over the loudspeakers is going to be hard to deal with.
It won't get better. Unless they are calling and NASCAR- roundy-round race, they are going to be clueless. They don't understand the grand-scheme of endurance racing, let alone the finite details of each class, the strategy, and history.

The difference with RLM and Radio Tallahassee is that RLM knows everything to know with endurance racing. It's what they do, it's what they live...

The broadcast on MRN was disgusting, it was one of the worst things I've ever listened to. I wish that hindy had stayed home, and broadcast it off of the Motors TV feed.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 27 Jan 2014, 16:45 (Ref:3360581)   #2014
AFC-911
Racer

AFC-911 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With RLM, I can close my eyes and I know exactly what is happening on the track.

With Radio Tallahassee, they don't even describe the on track action.
Old 27 Jan 2014, 16:49 (Ref:3360584)   #2015
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
These comments were old then and are old now. Please inform the people in Daytona your displeasure as I think we all know here how much 10/10thers loath MRN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Yeah, okay MRN sucks. Anyone else want to beat this dead horse?

Old 27 Jan 2014, 16:54 (Ref:3360587)   #2016
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
I was teaching this weekend so missed most of the action and relied upon the 75-100 pages of your comments to fill me in. I did have a few minutes to tune in to the stream of the TV broadcast early Sunday morning and here is what I heard...

"Can you see anything yet?"
"I need something to stand on..."
"You mean Louis Vuitton doesn't make a high riser?"
"Are we going to talk about the highlights?"
"What are the highlights?"
"How did you do with the market downturn on Friday?"
"What are we going to talk about?"
"Oh, look there are snipers on the roof."
"Who is going to do the opening standup?"
"The seal is broken so we have to use it now."
"My wife put in my bag for me."

Mic just went dead.

They have just gone live. Scott Pruett talking and they cut him off.

"Are we talking over this?"

Someone had the wrong sound input on and they just turned all the sound off.

Now, that was entertaining!
Old 27 Jan 2014, 17:24 (Ref:3360598)   #2017
tjh8402
Rookie

United States
Orlando, Fl
tjh8402 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I tuned in at one point in the middle of the night, sometime between midnight and one I think, and the MRN guys were all over Scott Pruett and the DPs and such. They were totally ignoring (one of the few times) the cameras were actually showing GT-LM and an actual dual going on between one of the Corvettes and Porsches. It never got a mention. I was thinking to myself, are they even watching the race feed they're supposed to be commentating on?

Last edited by joeb; 28 Jan 2014 at 00:19.
Old 27 Jan 2014, 18:49 (Ref:3360640)   #2018
flyingmonkey
Rookie

flyingmonkey has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
So to move on from the MRN incompetence.....

Who at the race had a hard time reading the blue leader light displays? Blue is actually a really bad color for a display. Thinking green would be a better color. May email someone about this, as I'm supposed to know a lot about perception.
Old 27 Jan 2014, 18:51 (Ref:3360641)   #2019
EricS
Racer

United States
Austin, TX
EricS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I doubt they will change from MRN. Considering there are only 2 long races left, and who knows, there may be complete TV coverage for Sebring and Petit.

For those at the track, was MRN broadcast over the PA?
Old 27 Jan 2014, 20:51 (Ref:3360720)   #2020
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingmonkey View Post
But let me reiterate:

MRN sucked. It really sucked. It sucked the j*zz out of a dead panda. I could only hear it a fraction of the time I was at the track, and in that time they made countless mistakes. Can radio Le Mans cover part of it? I understand that us 'Mericans like to hear hick voices, but can't there be a North American contributor to RLM?
As someone has said before, these suggestions need to be made to the people that count. I doubt anyone at IMSA is checking this thread regularly.
Old 27 Jan 2014, 21:51 (Ref:3360748)   #2021
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
I doubt anyone at IMSA is checking this thread regularly.
Understatement of the year!
Old 27 Jan 2014, 21:56 (Ref:3360755)   #2022
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

Who at the race had a hard time reading the blue leader light displays? Blue is actually a really bad color for a display. Thinking green would be a better color. May email someone about this, as I'm supposed to know a lot about perception.
That's interesting, on TV it looked the other way around, I could read the blue easier than the red. Obviously, it's for the folk at the track, so your opinion is more important here.
Old 27 Jan 2014, 22:05 (Ref:3360761)   #2023
rickyg
Rookie

rickyg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I was at the track and a had hard time with the blue lights too, particularly at night. I also noted that several cars systems weren't working and on several occasions multiple cars in the same class had the some position particularly in GTLM. From the tri-oval grandstands the numbers were just too small to pick out.

I think with some tweaking and moving to the tracks where most viewing locations are closer to the track the system has great potential
Old 27 Jan 2014, 22:13 (Ref:3360766)   #2024
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
I doubt anyone at IMSA is checking this thread regularly.

God forbid they might learn what the fans think and want!!!
Old 27 Jan 2014, 22:20 (Ref:3360769)   #2025
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hello IMSA, we want 2 categories in TUSC. LMP1 and old Group C cars. Cheers.