Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 17 May 2011, 15:54 (Ref:2881698)   #2026
Danny_GT2
Veteran

Ireland
Lucan, Ireland
Danny_GT2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sad news, hope they return soon!
Old 17 May 2011, 17:02 (Ref:2881722)   #2027
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
If I was Nick Leventis or Mike Newton, I'd be doing some very serious thinking about my 2012 plans right now...
For all the crap HPD has taken in P2, the P1 looks a class above every other petrol car, and that will remain the view until performances prove otherwise.

Everyone can talk a good game, Highcroft and HPD delivered, first time.
Old 17 May 2011, 17:09 (Ref:2881727)   #2028
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
For all the crap HPD has taken in P2, the P1 looks a class above every other petrol car, and that will remain the view until performances prove otherwise.

I sure hope the ARX-01e doesn't get added to the list of cars that only ran one.....
Old 17 May 2011, 20:16 (Ref:2881826)   #2029
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This split has been coming for a while and I don't blame Highcroft either.There's no doubt HPD produce a top class product but they want someone else to foot the bill to take it racing.Nobody can genuinely compete with Audi or Peugeot on that basis so I guess Dayton decided enough was enough. I can't even remember the last time a genuine privateer team beat factory competition to victory at Le Mans.Even the Joest Porsche in 1985 was virtually identical to the works cars.

No, I'm afraid Honda's commitment to serious prototype racing is rather vague at best and unless they decide to match Audi & Peugeot, dollar for dollar,then I'm not sure what they're trying to achieve here.

You ain't gonna win Le Mans on the cheap and I think that's why Highcroft have bowed out.
Old 17 May 2011, 21:22 (Ref:2881852)   #2030
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman View Post
This split has been coming for a while and I don't blame Highcroft either.There's no doubt HPD produce a top class product but they want someone else to foot the bill to take it racing.Nobody can genuinely compete with Audi or Peugeot on that basis so I guess Dayton decided enough was enough. I can't even remember the last time a genuine privateer team beat factory competition to victory at Le Mans.Even the Joest Porsche in 1985 was virtually identical to the works cars.

No, I'm afraid Honda's commitment to serious prototype racing is rather vague at best and unless they decide to match Audi & Peugeot, dollar for dollar,then I'm not sure what they're trying to achieve here.

You ain't gonna win Le Mans on the cheap and I think that's why Highcroft have bowed out.
Oh come on, Japan's had the earthquake of all earthquakes. The whole project was evidently toe-in-the-water, and on the basis alone they had upset Audi and Peugeot. Honda may even have upscaled their effort but right now, they have much pressing issues and other priorities.
Old 17 May 2011, 21:24 (Ref:2881853)   #2031
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post

True- but while the car might be better than any of the other petrol LMP1 options available, what kind of support for it is going to be available from HPD? For all we know, it could already be destined for Honda's museum collection....
Old 17 May 2011, 22:50 (Ref:2881893)   #2032
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman View Post
I don't think it is vague at all. The HPD division is trying to make money by selling equipment to teams. They already had a top notch LMP2 car that was developed with monetary support from Acura, why not continue to sell it afterward if there are buyers? It's a smart business move. The Porsche and Ferrari GTs are sold in a similar fashion and I think Toyota is trying to maximize their SuperGT investment by making the engine available to LMP1 teams. Some may find this hard to believe, especially those who follow the American auto industry, but corporations do try to make money!

It may make sense for them to support a team or two so that other teams can get a sense of the kind of results that are possible, but maybe Highcroft needed too much money. Maybe HPD does not feel that there is that much sales potential for LMP1s. Maybe HPD feels that the performance of their LMP1 product is already established. Maybe HPD has another team in mind in Europe (Strakka probably) who can show what the car is made of with less or no support from HPD themselves. Or maybe none of the above.
Old 18 May 2011, 02:48 (Ref:2881934)   #2033
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder if Level 5 could be a potential HPD LMP1 customer at either the ALMS or ILMC level. They seem like a team that might not be satisfied at being an LMP2 team. Granted, Tucker is well suited to being in LMP2, but he drove the Kolles LMP1 Audi R10 at Le Mans last year so maybe he is interested in going to LMP1.
Old 18 May 2011, 08:03 (Ref:2881998)   #2034
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
http://www.mulsannescorner.com/newsmay11.html has a brief statement from Nick Wirth. Highcroft had to give back the car to HPD, who also owns the design of the ARX-01e. So there is no chance that we will see the car with a different engine (e.g., Judd or Zytek).
Old 18 May 2011, 08:17 (Ref:2882002)   #2035
ubrben
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
ubrben has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Except, they really didn't lose Patron to ESM. Patron just ceased sponsoring Highcroft, and continued sponsoring ESM/Brown's entries, as they had been for several years. I agree that this is a Highcroft budget issue though.
Not really. Sharp and Brown decided to set up ESM in the middle of the Patron/Highcroft deal. Partly this was due to certain people wanting Sharp out of the LMP having cost them Petit in 2008 and then destroying the P1 car in 2009. It was a courtesy to Highcroft to see out that deal.

Now the question is, if it was Dayton that wanted Sharp out of the LMP, HPD who wanted it, or Sharp himself who decided he couldn't cut it with Brabham, Pagenaud, etc. If it was Dayton's call he might have inadvertently created his current situation.

Ben
Old 18 May 2011, 08:21 (Ref:2882004)   #2036
AGD
Veteran

I had a feeling that the Sebring car was property of HPD. Does Highcroft have any other ARX-01s (or -02s for that matter) or have they all been returned to HPD either recently or a while back?

I wonder if RML and Strakka own their ARX-01s or if they are leased. The Autosport HPD ad scan that JAG uploaded seemed to indicate that the ARX-01e was available for purchase and the engine was available to be leased, but I'm not sure who owns what exactly. I assume that the HPD LMP2 engines are also leased and not owned outright. I'm not sure how Judd, Zytek, and others distribute their engines.
Old 18 May 2011, 08:31 (Ref:2882010)   #2037
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubrben View Post
Not really. Sharp and Brown decided to set up ESM in the middle of the Patron/Highcroft deal. Partly this was due to certain people wanting Sharp out of the LMP having cost them Petit in 2008 and then destroying the P1 car in 2009. It was a courtesy to Highcroft to see out that deal.

Now the question is, if it was Dayton that wanted Sharp out of the LMP, HPD who wanted it, or Sharp himself who decided he couldn't cut it with Brabham, Pagenaud, etc. If it was Dayton's call he might have inadvertently created his current situation.

Ben
I can't imagine a team owner would cut a driver with so much money on the line even with Sharp's propensity to screw up unless Duncan knew that Sharp and Patron were leaving after 2010 anyway. Acura was out of the picture by the time Sharp left. I'm not sure if HPD themselves had the clout to force a driver out given that the team wasn't a full factory team at that point. Perhaps Ed Brown wanted to go GT2 racing in 2010 and Sharp decided to leave on his own to form ESM?
Old 18 May 2011, 08:48 (Ref:2882016)   #2038
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post
I had a feeling that the Sebring car was property of HPD. Does Highcroft have any other ARX-01s (or -02s for that matter) or have they all been returned to HPD either recently or a while back?
Their 2010 car was moved to Japan and unfortunately destroyed in the earthquake.
Old 18 May 2011, 13:49 (Ref:2882144)   #2039
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
A little research into the effect the earthquake has had on Honda which has suspended all production in Japan and you will soon realise why they may have pulled the plug on the programme for the moment. Hopefully it will be a temporary measure.
Old 18 May 2011, 16:00 (Ref:2882192)   #2040
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't think it was ever suggested Honda would fund the race program, HPD now run a customer operation, the P1 chassis and engine are available for purchase, as seen in the Autosport ad.

A few pages back it was said Highcroft's chassis could be run by someone else, not seen that myself.
Old 18 May 2011, 16:25 (Ref:2882203)   #2041
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I sure hope the ARX-01e doesn't get added to the list of cars that only ran one.....
Joe, I'm afraid the article below pretty much seals the deal. I doubt if we will ever see that car again. It will sit in a warehouse next to the Caddys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
http://www.mulsannescorner.com/newsmay11.html has a brief statement from Nick Wirth. Highcroft had to give back the car to HPD, who also owns the design of the ARX-01e. So there is no chance that we will see the car with a different engine (e.g., Judd or Zytek).
Old 18 May 2011, 17:16 (Ref:2882223)   #2042
JAG
Veteran

England
Why would the car be seen with another engine, HPD are selling the complete car, or at least they were as of a few weeks back.

As the link says above, Wirth are parting company with Highcroft, not HPD.

Last edited by JAG; 18 May 2011 at 17:23.
Old 18 May 2011, 17:25 (Ref:2882229)   #2043
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Joe, I'm afraid the article below pretty much seals the deal. I doubt if we will ever see that car again. It will sit in a warehouse next to the Caddys.
Im pretty sure you will see it in the ILMC next year with Strakka . They already tested the car at Sebring with Kane , expressed their intention to step up to the ILMC for 2012 ..... theres my reasoning .
Old 18 May 2011, 17:30 (Ref:2882231)   #2044
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Kane tested the car with Highcroft, not Strakka. Obviously he will report back to his current employers, but I would be wary of misrepresenting the scenario.
Old 19 May 2011, 23:05 (Ref:2882872)   #2045
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I know it was Highcroft , Kane tested the car straight after Sebring .

Misrepresenting what scenario ?

I said the car was tested by Kane after Sebring and that Strakka has expressed their wish of stepping up to P1 in the ILMC for 2012 ..... factual words from the team .

Logically if Kane was testing a HPD P1 ..... they are considering a switch to said chassis . And if results keep coming with their currant chassis and experiance gained from running a simlar chassis , I can see that happening .
Old 19 May 2011, 23:17 (Ref:2882875)   #2046
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Logically if Kane was testing a HPD P1 ..... they are considering a switch to said chassis . And if results keep coming with their currant chassis and experiance gained from running a simlar chassis , I can see that happening .
Strakka may be interested in running a HPD in LMP1 next year, but that does not mean that Kane's testing duty had anything to do with Strakka's decision. It may have something to do with it, but I believe there was some sort of conflict that prevented one of Highcroft's usual drivers from testing (Pagenaud I believe was not allowed to test by Peugeot or something - I may be remembering this incorrectly).

Anyway, Strakka already ran a 3.4L V8 HPD powered ARX-01 last season so they should pretty much know what to expect from the current LMP1 ARX-01. Highcroft probably wanted a driver with experience in the car to help them test. Kane fits that description.

Marino Franchitti helped Level 5 out by shaking down their new Lola Coupe, but I'm sure that does not mean anything beyond Level 5 hiring Marino to help them out on a one-off basis.
Old 19 May 2011, 23:36 (Ref:2882880)   #2047
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Pagenaud I believe was not allowed to test by Peugeot or something - I may be remembering this incorrectly.
Pagenaud was testing in Monza for Peugeot at the moment that Highcroft was testing in Sebring
Old 19 May 2011, 23:40 (Ref:2882881)   #2048
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
New column of Brabs: End Of An Era With Highcroft, Honda
Old 20 May 2011, 00:07 (Ref:2882888)   #2049
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Strakka may be interested in running a HPD in LMP1 next year, but that does not mean that Kane's testing duty had anything to do with Strakka's decision
Well , I cant think of any other logical reason ? Its highly likly that it has something to do with Strakka's decision too .

But , we will have it your way , and see
Old 20 May 2011, 08:47 (Ref:2882995)   #2050
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Well , I cant think of any other logical reason ? Its highly likly that it has something to do with Strakka's decision too .

But , we will have it your way , and see
Even if it did, and Strakka were looking at the LMP1 car for 2012 when Kane tested at Sebring, it doesn't mean it's still the case today- right now I'm not sure we can be confident about anything in the future of that car apart from the fact that it won't be with Highcroft.
Right now, following the split with Highcroft, I'm not sure we can even be certain that HPD have any further intention to support the LMP1 project....