Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 5 Mar 2013, 10:29 (Ref:3214461)   #2026
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What I heard was that at least part of the problem was that the accident broke a water pipe and soaked some engine-management electrics which then mismanaged the engine causing harm. Not sure of the source---could just have been one of the many voices in my head.
Old 5 Mar 2013, 10:37 (Ref:3214464)   #2027
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think I remember a statement from someone at Toyota saying it was unrelated, but I can't find that either.
Old 5 Mar 2013, 10:58 (Ref:3214474)   #2028
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
And what makes you say that?

The engine has met its goals on the dyno. Feel better?
Fixed that for ya...
Old 5 Mar 2013, 13:33 (Ref:3214541)   #2029
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
That was a good question about the tub, albeit ignored. Is is still the AMR tub? Is it a 'replica' manufactured by Elan (would it have to be re-homologated then?). Actually does DW even need any ACO/FIA homologation while it's running exclusively in the US, included in random classes while being outside of their rules?
Old 5 Mar 2013, 14:05 (Ref:3214557)   #2030
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post
That was a good question about the tub, albeit ignored. Is is still the AMR tub? Is it a 'replica' manufactured by Elan (would it have to be re-homologated then?). Actually does DW even need any ACO/FIA homologation while it's running exclusively in the US, included in random classes while being outside of their rules?
It's the AMR-One tub still. The effort has two of them. EMT is balls out getting the closed car designed and built; they certainly haven't had the time, money, or personnel to even layup another version (or even the same) of the open car.
Old 5 Mar 2013, 16:04 (Ref:3214607)   #2031
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MulsanneMike View Post
It's the AMR-One tub still. The effort has two of them. EMT is balls out getting the closed car designed and built; they certainly haven't had the time, money, or personnel to even layup another version (or even the same) of the open car.
so just to confirm, the closed car is an entirely bespoke chassis that will need to be crash tested?
Old 5 Mar 2013, 16:17 (Ref:3214611)   #2032
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
so just to confirm, the closed car is an entirely bespoke chassis that will need to be crash tested?
I think only the tub needs to be crash tested. If I recall correctly they had two AMR-1 tubs, so if this is the second tub, it won't need to be tested.
Old 5 Mar 2013, 16:24 (Ref:3214615)   #2033
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
No doubt the thing looks cool, but my question is that given it's got open wheels and a blatant incapacity to take a passenger next to the driver, should this car be racing in a sportscar series?
Moreso than the Audis, Toyotas, and the 908?
Old 5 Mar 2013, 16:43 (Ref:3214623)   #2034
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
Moreso than the Audis, Toyotas, and the 908?
Good point, it's a question which could be extended to many cars around today. I don't think the regulations should allow cockpits as narrow as the Toyotas or Audis, it makes a mockery of the open cars having two headrests.
Old 5 Mar 2013, 16:59 (Ref:3214636)   #2035
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Good point, it's a question which could be extended to many cars around today. I don't think the regulations should allow cockpits as narrow as the Toyotas or Audis, it makes a mockery of the open cars having two headrests.
We could mandate Daytona Prototype cockpits instead!!
Old 5 Mar 2013, 17:04 (Ref:3214638)   #2036
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Ahh, no!! Please, no sir!

I mean, if I had to choose between an overly skinny and a fat girl to take on a date, you already know which I'd take. But there must be some middle ground.
Old 5 Mar 2013, 17:15 (Ref:3214646)   #2037
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Agreed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
No, thanks. Having seating for two doesn't mean it has to look like a tank.
Old 5 Mar 2013, 18:10 (Ref:3214667)   #2038
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Why can't people build a car with a windshield and cockpit that looks like the Porsche 962? IMO, that seemed to be perfect solution compared to the too large and too skinny cockpits of today.
Old 5 Mar 2013, 18:30 (Ref:3214673)   #2039
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberMotor View Post
Why can't people build a car with a windshield and cockpit that looks like the Porsche 962? IMO, that seemed to be perfect solution compared to the too large and too skinny cockpits of today.
Weren't cars wider back then? If so, it would look like a DPG2.
Old 5 Mar 2013, 19:00 (Ref:3214691)   #2040
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Weren't cars wider back then? If so, it would look like a DPG2.
I disagree there. The 962 had a balance in proportions, a stance and swoopiness that gave it a special beauty, IMO. Haven't seen a DP obtain those qualities yet. The 962 had a wrap around windshield that seemed to be designed for excellent vision forward and sideways.
Old 5 Mar 2013, 22:12 (Ref:3214782)   #2041
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchZ06 View Post
Do those ricers race on a bumpy concrete circuit for 12 hours straight?
No.

They cross railroad tracks, go through potholes, cross curb ramps, and maybe after 20,000 miles/500 hours get something more than an oil change for mechanical attention.
Old 6 Mar 2013, 02:18 (Ref:3214868)   #2042
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
Quote:
In theory it will need to, yes. But as DW only ever met something like 2 or 3 of the dimensional regulations (front/rear overhangs, overall length) and little else, who's to say what the ACO will hold it to.
Old 6 Mar 2013, 02:22 (Ref:3214870)   #2043
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How much of the Sebring 12 Hours do you expect the DeltaWing to last, Mike?
Old 6 Mar 2013, 04:07 (Ref:3214892)   #2044
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Methinks one of the Audis will be blinded by the LED lights reflecting off the silver paint and crash into it.
Old 6 Mar 2013, 04:16 (Ref:3214894)   #2045
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Mike is right on this point. The closed cockpit version is all new. I've heard other things. Mike and I know the same people. He's worked with them and I know them on a personal level. I will admit I have a vested interest seeing this project being a success. I don't drink kool-aid and feel I could call a spade a spade if I didn't think it could happen.

That's my position. If I offended fugelhund in an earlier post, I apologize.
Old 6 Mar 2013, 05:18 (Ref:3214902)   #2046
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
To be even more fair the Toyota's retirement was due to engine failure and not damage sustained from the DW incident.
Toyota may say it was unrelated, but most suspect differently. Toyota's engine has nothing to do with the DeltaWing's, so this talk is useless.

Speaking of the delta's engine, is it related to any other Mazda engine racing?
Old 6 Mar 2013, 11:34 (Ref:3215015)   #2047
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Toyota may say it was unrelated, but most suspect differently. Toyota's engine has nothing to do with the DeltaWing's, so this talk is useless.

Speaking of the delta's engine, is it related to any other Mazda engine racing?
If it's the MZR-R, then that's the engine that powers F2000.
Old 6 Mar 2013, 13:29 (Ref:3215057)   #2048
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
In theory it will need to, yes. But as DW only ever met something like 2 or 3 of the dimensional regulations (front/rear overhangs, overall length) and little else, who's to say what the ACO will hold it to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
Mike is right on this point. The closed cockpit version is all new. I've heard other things. Mike and I know the same people. He's worked with them and I know them on a personal level. I will admit I have a vested interest seeing this project being a success. I don't drink kool-aid and feel I could call a spade a spade if I didn't think it could happen.

That's my position. If I offended fugelhund in an earlier post, I apologize.
Thanks. I asked the question about the tub crash test because I was wondering if the test had taken place.

Also, will the closed DW use most of the same components (suspension, brakes, etc) from the current DW?
Old 6 Mar 2013, 16:50 (Ref:3215153)   #2049
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
Quote:
If it's the MZR-R, then that's the engine that powers F2000.
The top end and most of the internals are MZR-R, block is Elan Power. The MZR-R block simply didn't lend itself to alignment of the crank height to gearbox input.
Old 6 Mar 2013, 16:51 (Ref:3215156)   #2050
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Thanks. I asked the question about the tub crash test because I was wondering if the test had taken place.

Also, will the closed DW use most of the same components (suspension, brakes, etc) from the current DW?
Yes, as far as I know most of the open top car bits carry over. It's essentially just a replacement of the tub.