Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 30 Mar 2012, 14:44 (Ref:3050863)   #2101
Speed Merchant 91
Rookie

United States
Gilbert, Arizona
Speed Merchant 91 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by picchiofan View Post
What an odd article.

"We don't like the GA spec R8, because they reduce the aerodynamics and detuned the engine, so we're looking at homologating an R8 for World Challenge, to do so we'll need to reduce the aerodynamics, and detune the engine".

'kay. Translation: There's 30+ car fields in GA with about 12 strong front running entries, as opposed to two cars in WCGT.

Also a little confused with the "less clutch" comment. The GA spec car ran the same clutch as the rest of the R8 race cars, Audi claims the lack of traction control caused it to shatter, multiple times, even with the detuned engine. For Barber they're getting a full on race clutch.
If you think there are only 2 cars in WCGT then you are sadley mistaken my friend. I would argue that the World Challenge GT class is every bit as competitive as the Grand-AM GT class with it's factory backed Cadillac and K-Pax Volvo teams and a grip of privateer Porsche and Corvettes that also stand a good chance of not only getting the race win, but also challenging for the championship as well. And once, (or if) Mike Skeen gets hits GTRs up to speed, I believe they could also be a factor as well. Plus, I would rather watch a "de-tuned" R8 LMS in World Challenge than watch a totally neutered R8 "Grand AM" anyday
Old 30 Mar 2012, 16:34 (Ref:3050911)   #2102
Nick6
Racer

United States
Nick6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With only 2 cars in WCGT, I wonder why Picchio hasn't built a car for WC yet?
Old 30 Mar 2012, 17:56 (Ref:3050952)   #2103
picchiofan
Racer

Iran
picchiofan User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick6 View Post
With only 2 cars in WCGT, I wonder why Picchio hasn't built a car for WC yet?
Because they were a backmarker chassis manufacturer that ceased to exist 5-6 years ago?

I know the irony thing might be new to ya..

And yes, there's the 2 car caddy effort in WCGT, the way long in the tooth Kpax volvos, and GMG's Porsches that they're replacing with the R8s. AKA, there's two other cars to worry about.
Old 30 Mar 2012, 18:29 (Ref:3050967)   #2104
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
One thing about the r8 grand-am's clutch, they were forced to use a production clutch instead of a race spec clutch on the gt3.
Old 30 Mar 2012, 19:28 (Ref:3050987)   #2105
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by picchiofan View Post
Because they were a backmarker chassis manufacturer that ceased to exist 5-6 years ago?

I know the irony thing might be new to ya..

And yes, there's the 2 car caddy effort in WCGT, the way long in the tooth Kpax volvos, and GMG's Porsches that they're replacing with the R8s. AKA, there's two other cars to worry about.
Incorrect, the KPax Volvos are based on the new model. Not much new technology outside of center-locking hubs that I can see from the outside. But the series, thanks to Cadillac and Volvo primarilly, has really seen the tune of the cars develop over the past few years despite being a down time in terms of number of entries.

Looking at the GT grid the two Volvos are always in with a shout (except when they are sorting out "dozens" of electrical issues, as they were at St. Pete), the two Cadillacs are in with a shout, the Hawk Performance Nissan and the former Crager Corvettes are both solid, well funded efforts, plus the TruSpeed Porsches are very quick. On top of that, as you mentioned, the GMG Porsches at least of Sofronas and Crescentini are quick.

Some people just don't like the way Grand-Am's GT class is built. It is very successful on the whole, but some people prefer a little more teeth in their cars or don't like some of the politics in the series. (Not saying that World Challenge lacks politics or has that SCCA Pro is even that great a sanctioning body, just saying some people would take it over Grand-Am.)

Plus in World Challenge the GT cars are the top category which may draw entries. And the races are a sprint format, another difference and potential draw.

Chris
Old 30 Mar 2012, 19:34 (Ref:3050989)   #2106
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FstrthnU View Post
One thing about the r8 grand-am's clutch, they were forced to use a production clutch instead of a race spec clutch on the gt3.
This is correct, Audi confirmed this to us at Daytona.
Old 30 Mar 2012, 19:45 (Ref:3050995)   #2107
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I wonder if any teams in WC will snatch up the Viper when it's introduced.
Old 30 Mar 2012, 23:26 (Ref:3051058)   #2108
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Man, some of you guys try to make things complicated. GMG is racing in WC, because that is where the guys with the $ to spend want to race. End of story... and it probably does have something to do with the level of competition in various series.
Old 31 Mar 2012, 03:13 (Ref:3051100)   #2109
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Man, some of you guys try to make things complicated. GMG is racing in WC, because that is where the guys with the $ to spend want to race. End of story... and it probably does have something to do with the level of competition in various series.
And the race format, and the schedule, and the types of cars competing. There are many, many factors as to why someone chooses to spend his money where he does.

Chris
Old 31 Mar 2012, 15:37 (Ref:3051302)   #2110
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Sorry for the double post, but couldn't edit this long after my last post...

John Ward (ex-AAR and Falken Tire) takes over as engineer on the Gainsco 99 car in Grand-Am, Kyle Brannan is leaving the team for a "big opportunity" in the ALMS - from John Dagys on twitter.

What's Kyle's big opportunity? Corvette Racing? Dempsey P2? What opportunity in the ALMS would be "big"? To me meaning more than a sideways step to a privateer team?

Chris
Old 1 Apr 2012, 16:24 (Ref:3051797)   #2111
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

John Ward (ex-AAR and Falken Tire) takes over as engineer on the Gainsco 99 car in Grand-Am, Kyle Brannan is leaving the team for a "big opportunity" in the ALMS - from John Dagys on twitter.

What's Kyle's big opportunity? Corvette Racing? Dempsey P2? What opportunity in the ALMS would be "big"? To me meaning more than a sideways step to a privateer team?

Chris
Viper Riley GTE project?
Old 1 Apr 2012, 18:38 (Ref:3051867)   #2112
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
good shout

on the other hand, John has hinted recently that he knows of a GA team close to entering ALMS (that isn't Starworks, I assume). Might be this one? When're we expecting the other 'new GTE' project to come about?
Old 1 Apr 2012, 22:05 (Ref:3051992)   #2113
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
good shout

on the other hand, John has hinted recently that he knows of a GA team close to entering ALMS (that isn't Starworks, I assume). Might be this one? When're we expecting the other 'new GTE' project to come about?
I thought the new GTE project was the Alex Job Lotus.
Old 2 Apr 2012, 00:49 (Ref:3052037)   #2114
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonerz View Post

Chris
There have been rumours of 1 or 2 GA teams running a prototype in the ALMS. That is my guess.
Old 2 Apr 2012, 02:01 (Ref:3052044)   #2115
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
It was the other way around... prototype teams from GA running something in ALMS
Old 2 Apr 2012, 02:55 (Ref:3052053)   #2116
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
It was the other way around... prototype teams from GA running something in ALMS
My guess is two SunTrust Saleen S7-R's in GT1 with Bill Riley on the pitbo- oh wait...

We'll see what it is. New manufacturer announcement coming April 4th? Viper GTE? Kyle Brannan? Who knows?!

Chris
Old 2 Apr 2012, 05:21 (Ref:3052068)   #2117
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Could it be the Audi R8?
Old 2 Apr 2012, 06:21 (Ref:3052083)   #2118
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
From what Dagys writes that wouldn't be quite big enough...
Old 2 Apr 2012, 06:35 (Ref:3052088)   #2119
TF110
Veteran

United States
If it's "big news" I can only think of the R8 or the Viper. If the R8 isn't big enough then a Viper program would be the only thing that I'd think would be bigger news.
Old 2 Apr 2012, 06:55 (Ref:3052096)   #2120
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bentley Conti GTE program? There is a V8 version of suitable capacity....
Old 2 Apr 2012, 08:36 (Ref:3052132)   #2121
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonerz View Post
My guess is two SunTrust Saleen S7-R's in GT1 with Bill Riley on the pitbo- oh wait...
That would be great-I would love to see Saleen back in ALMS GT1 taking on the C6R and DBR9!

Ok in all seriousness I think its the Viper that is the big announcement. The R8 would be significant but without factory backing (something I think is unlikely) then it wouldnt be as big as Dagys is making out to be.

Should be big news either way.
Old 2 Apr 2012, 10:20 (Ref:3052193)   #2122
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
I think it's the Viper too. The new model is to be unveiled this week at the NY motor show... maybe alongside its GTE version?
Old 2 Apr 2012, 10:27 (Ref:3052196)   #2123
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Would be great news if so. Wonder when is the earliest they could have it running if it does turn out to be that?
Old 2 Apr 2012, 10:40 (Ref:3052200)   #2124
ep16
Rookie

ep16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does the new viper still have the 8.3L V10? ...'cos the ALMS regs only allow 5.5L, doesn't it?
Old 2 Apr 2012, 10:46 (Ref:3052204)   #2125
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
It's rumored to be 8.7 Maybe they can saw it in half and end up with a straight 5