Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 3 Mar 2011, 17:52 (Ref:2839749)   #2126
Lola T70
Racer

Lola T70 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
In terms of pace let's not forget Acura, by the time Le Mans comes around I think they could have the quickest petrol car given they are developing a proven package and may even challenge for pole.

I think you could be right there.
Old 3 Mar 2011, 20:58 (Ref:2839852)   #2127
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
But the old AER four cylinders in the past have claimed well over 500 bhp and over 400 ft/lbs of torque. So the Aston solution might not be a bad package.
In 2006 the LMP2 restrictor size and boost pressure were identical to the current LMP1 rules. Back then AER claimed 550+ bhp and 620 Nm for their P07 I4 engine. That was without direct injection.
Quote:
Speaking of which, does the AMR-One use a hydraulic or pnumatic actulator for the gear shift?
See http://www.astonmartinracing.com/eng...b-bd2ac4bd0e6b
Quote:
Gearbox – Bespoke 6 speed, transverse, semi automatic pneumatic shift, Xtrac racing gearbox
Steering – Rack and Pinion with electrical power assistance

Last edited by gwyllion; 3 Mar 2011 at 21:09.
Old 3 Mar 2011, 21:49 (Ref:2839866)   #2128
Joe Taylor
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warwickshire, UK
Joe Taylor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
If so, why not mount it the sidepod, as there seems be a lot of room in there and all the venting/slats in front of the rear wheels?
They're obliged by the rules to place the areodynamic brick that is the honking great fin in the centre of the rear bodywork, so they may as well stick a cooling feed on it as well, rather than upsetting the airflow elsewhere.
Old 3 Mar 2011, 22:03 (Ref:2839875)   #2129
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
In 2006 the LMP2 restrictor size and boost pressure were identical to the current LMP1 rules. Back then AER claimed 550+ bhp and 620 Nm for their P07 I4 engine. That was without direct injection.
See http://www.astonmartinracing.com/eng...b-bd2ac4bd0e6b
Was the Aston engine announced as featuring Direct Injection?
Old 3 Mar 2011, 22:12 (Ref:2839883)   #2130
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Follow the link to the AMR website I posted. The answer is there.
Quote:
Engine – In line 6 cylinder, direct injected, turbocharged and intercooled DOHC Petrol engine, 4 valves per cylinder. Approx 540bhp
Old 4 Mar 2011, 01:12 (Ref:2839951)   #2131
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Autosport say Aston's budget is 50% the size of it's major rivals at £15m.

The cars were sold for £1.5m apiece with Aston contributing £1.5m.
Old 4 Mar 2011, 01:14 (Ref:2839952)   #2132
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

This isn't surprising, the car seems very budget.
Old 4 Mar 2011, 03:46 (Ref:2839973)   #2133
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

What is surprising is that they say its major rivals spend 30m a year, I thought it was closer to double that.
Old 4 Mar 2011, 07:01 (Ref:2839992)   #2134
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I feel kinda bad for AMR. They should have just stuck with the pretty coupe from Lola and maybe did some development work on it. I guess they found something beneficial with this open car though, don't know what. Maybe they'll have the highest top speed? I hope they're at least competitive.
Old 4 Mar 2011, 09:22 (Ref:2840023)   #2135
Javi
Veteran

Javi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Miracles happen sometimes, but in these times neither Audi nor Peugeot are going to let them happen so easily (3-4 cars each to cover most most of troubles...). Even with parity of performance between diesel and petrol, a team like Aston with a budget a half of their major rivals is going to aim for being the best of the rest, like last year, and I think they´ll be quite happy with it. If anything different than Peugeot or Audi get a podium place at Le Mans it´s going to be a very BIG suprise.
In shorter races, with 2 car teams, Aston can have more opportunities...
Old 4 Mar 2011, 12:52 (Ref:2840107)   #2136
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
That's probably the best thing that AMR have going for them right now--a serious desire to have a good customer car program. If nothing else, it increases their numbers and can make them a little money.
Old 4 Mar 2011, 13:21 (Ref:2840125)   #2137
SebringMG
Veteran

United Kingdom
SebringMG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally I think that AMR were not impressed with the Lola derived chassis and decided to build their own chassis to attempt to close the gap to the factory programmes. At the end of the day the Lola is a customer chassis and will not have had the level of development that a factory can generate as they have to sell to a price.

Consider that RML had a Lola coupe with the Acura engine and were frequently seconds slower than the Acura P2 with the same engine. My conclusion (possibly simplistic) is that the Lola chassis was holding RML back......hence this year they have gone fully to the Acura engine/chassis package.

IMO the Lola is indeed pretty but cannot hack it against top flight competion....
Old 4 Mar 2011, 14:03 (Ref:2840149)   #2138
vyselegend
Racer

France
Paris, France
vyselegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SebringMG View Post
Personally I think that AMR were not impressed with the Lola derived chassis and decided to build their own chassis to attempt to close the gap to the factory programmes. At the end of the day the Lola is a customer chassis and will not have had the level of development that a factory can generate as they have to sell to a price.

Consider that RML had a Lola coupe with the Acura engine and were frequently seconds slower than the Acura P2 with the same engine. My conclusion (possibly simplistic) is that the Lola chassis was holding RML back......hence this year they have gone fully to the Acura engine/chassis package.

IMO the Lola is indeed pretty but cannot hack it against top flight competion....
Pirro looked serious against the Pugs last year though...

Most of the time in endurance, a gap worth several seconds between two cars supposed to be close is down to the drivers, and/or the team's limited knowlege of the car comparatively to their opponents (remember Penske vs Dyson in the RS Spyder, or AMR vs Signature in the Lola-Aston last year, etc).

I'm not saying you're wrong with the RML exemple though. But IMO with the full Acura package they will still be slower than teams with more experience (and manufacturer's involvment) with top notch drivers like Brabham.
Old 4 Mar 2011, 14:22 (Ref:2840159)   #2139
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is a quick transformation of the new LMP1 from Aston Martin.

This is a coupé version with transformation on the front nose. I hope the coupe fans like my interpretation.

See the car on this link:

http://gustavobamba.deviantart.com/#/d3avm2d

pic credits: Aston Martin racing
Old 4 Mar 2011, 14:31 (Ref:2840163)   #2140
vyselegend
Racer

France
Paris, France
vyselegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavobamba View Post

This is a coupé version with transformation on the front nose. I hope the coupe fans like my interpretation.

Even with that blurry rendering it immediatly looks better!

Yet I'm happy they did it as an open car because it helps for diversity now that Audi have gone coupe...

Nice job.
Old 4 Mar 2011, 14:38 (Ref:2840168)   #2141
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by vyselegend View Post
Even with that blurry rendering it immediatly looks better!

Yet I'm happy they did it as an open car because it helps for diversity now that Audi have gone coupe...

Nice job.

I´m just an amateur
Old 4 Mar 2011, 15:10 (Ref:2840181)   #2142
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

That was pretty good. I had tried to picture this thing with a roof when it was revealed. Thanks for the work!
Old 4 Mar 2011, 15:46 (Ref:2840191)   #2143
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SebringMG View Post

You also have to remember that the ARX-01 began it's life as a customer car--the Oreca/Courage LC-75. The car's potential was only fully realized when Wirth/HPD and Oreca got their hands on it.

Of course, money and resources can't always buy speed, but Audi and Peugeot aren't Toyota or Honda in F1. They may have smaller budgets than TRD or Honda Racing did, but it was all in how Toyota and Honda ran things by commission, while in sportscars Audi and Peugeot had a top man in charge at all times to make the final call. In F1, Brawn had a small budget in '09, but Ross spent and used it properly and called the shots. Ironically, Brawn GP (now Mercedes-Benz GP) was a spin off of the old Honda Racing F1 team.

Back on the AMR subject, the issue that AMR have is that Audi and Peugeot not only have more resources, but generally use them wisely and prudently.
Old 4 Mar 2011, 16:03 (Ref:2840199)   #2144
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
It seems silly to write a car off before it has turned a wheel
Old 4 Mar 2011, 16:05 (Ref:2840201)   #2145
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Back on the AMR subject, the issue that AMR have is that Audi and Peugeot not only have more resources, but generally use them wisely and prudently.
So you're saying that AMR waste their budget?
Old 4 Mar 2011, 16:20 (Ref:2840204)   #2146
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
In F1, Brawn had a small budget in '09, but Ross spent and used it properly and called the shots. Ironically, Brawn GP (now Mercedes-Benz GP) was a spin off of the old Honda Racing F1 team.
I'm afraid that statement shows how little you know or understand about the Honda/ Brawn/ Mercedes F1 progression.

Brawn GP profitted masively from the enormous amount of work done by Honda on their proposed 09 car (the vast majority of which was carried over as the Brawn) - it was certainly not under-resourced. It seems the Honda GP team spent wisely on development but then had the carpet pulled from under them

The relative drop off of competitiveness during the season can be traced directly to the lack of 09 budget as other better resourced teams caught up.

The relative lack of competitiveness by Mercedes in '10 can be directly traced to a lack of budget for Brawn during 09 and a lack of a fully funded development programme for '10.

In brief the lower 09 budget became a major issue late in the season and into the following season - They did not have an issue at the start of the year because the important spend had already been made - By Honda.
Old 4 Mar 2011, 17:46 (Ref:2840229)   #2147
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vyselegend View Post
I'm not saying you're wrong with the RML exemple though. But IMO with the full Acura package they will still be slower than teams with more experience (and manufacturer's involvment) with top notch drivers like Brabham.
However Strakka were pretty much immediately on the pace and dominated LMP2 at Le Mans being more reliable AND on par with Highcroft if not faster.

Quote:
This is a quick transformation of the new LMP1 from Aston Martin..............

Lower nose looks a lot better, with the roof or without it.
Old 4 Mar 2011, 18:10 (Ref:2840236)   #2148
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin View Post
So you're saying that AMR waste their budget?
Uhm, sorry, that's a big N-O!

Audi and Peugeot aren't known for wasting money, and they have more money and resources. AMR probably doesn't have any money to waste, especially now.

Brawn only benefited from the Honda money the first half of the season, and Ross had to be wise with that budget, because it wasn't going to last forever. Hence, they ran for most of '09 with patchwork sponsor packages (and probably some under the table money from Mercedes-Benz, as engine supplier and sponsor) to supplement that Honda severance money.

The problem that AMR has is that Prodrive is a big company, and David Richards and his backers have a lot of money. Problem is that Audi and Peugeot have more money to spend, and, unlike often has been sterio-typed of Honda and Toyota (especially Toyota), won't waste it.

Just be glad that AMR is Prodrive's baby, and not a committie run deal like Toyota was. At least then what little money the have (realtively speaking) will go where it should.
Old 4 Mar 2011, 23:01 (Ref:2840384)   #2149
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
You still say things you don't know. Toyota weren't the 'big spenders' in F1 like it's rumored to be. They built their own facilities, built their own windtunnels and benches, their own car, their own engine. No team had started from scratch like that in recent years. Toyota did everything from the ground up which is why the costs were so high. They had the huge facilities in Cologne to thank for that. What the key was for their not winning races was the drivers and management.

This is all off-topic, but the efficiency that AMR is showing is great. With half the money spent and still as competitive as any non-diesel car speaks volumes. The only question is why not spend a little more and make a car that will be up there with the diesels? But, the season hasn't started yet so they may be challenging for Podiums, we'll just have to wait and see.
Old 5 Mar 2011, 09:27 (Ref:2840477)   #2150
Lola T70
Racer

Lola T70 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post

This is all off-topic, but the efficiency that AMR is showing is great. With half the money spent and still as competitive as any non-diesel car speaks volumes. The only question is why not spend a little more and make a car that will be up there with the diesels? But, the season hasn't started yet so they may be challenging for Podiums, we'll just have to wait and see.
You only have Dave Richards saying the spend 50% of the other factory teams so personally I am not sure we can start treating it as fact,