Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 16 Jun 2012, 09:11 (Ref:3091804)   #2176
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman View Post
These new rules are, to most people, are an unnecessary complicated mess which only techno nerds and window lickers can possibly understand.I don't know anyone who makes the annual pilgrimage to La Sarthe each year, who gives a toss about Hybrid systems or how far a car can travel on 4.63 litres of fuel!

They go for raw speed, power, fun and spine-tingling excitement.Sure the technology is very clever but so is quantum physics and who wants to watch that.
So in regards to GrC we could say who gives a toss about how far a car can travel on X amount of litres over the course of the race?

Please, move on from clinging to the past (there is still GrC cars racing today if you search them out...) and do what the ACO has done, embrace todays tech and run with it.

The current rules are the jumbled mess, these new rules are so idiot proof in simplicity that all you need to do is look at the very clear and simply laid out table that lists how much your car can weigh and how much fuel it is allowed per lap.
Old 16 Jun 2012, 09:14 (Ref:3091805)   #2177
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Excuse me for saying , but unless Im missing the point , fuel formula would be a very relevant formula in this day and age .....
Old 16 Jun 2012, 09:16 (Ref:3091806)   #2178
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchZ06 View Post
So in regards to GrC we could say who gives a toss about how far a car can travel on X amount of litres over the course of the race?

Please, move on from clinging to the past (there is still GrC cars racing today if you search them out...) and do what the ACO has done, embrace todays tech and run with it.

The current rules are the jumbled mess, these new rules are so idiot proof in simplicity that all you need to do is look at the very clear and simply laid out table that lists how much your car can weigh and how much fuel it is allowed per lap.
Fully agree....(and Group C racing just finished here, a 45 minute race, of which 30 were spent behind the safety car.)
Old 16 Jun 2012, 09:17 (Ref:3091807)   #2179
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Excuse me for saying , but unless Im missing the point , fuel formula would be a very relevant formula in this day and age .....
perhaps there are still those who believe in the infinite supply of fossile fuels...
Old 16 Jun 2012, 10:24 (Ref:3091838)   #2180
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
I should say however from my point of view, I like the new regs *BUT* I do still hope we get those loud racing engines, the whooshy diesels and hybrids, I do not want to see all electric or all hybrid fields...
Old 16 Jun 2012, 10:27 (Ref:3091843)   #2181
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
I should say however from my point of view, I like the new regs *BUT* I do still hope we get those loud racing engines, the whooshy diesels and hybrids, I do not want to see all electric or all hybrid fields...
Toyota Hybrids are full of noise...Audi Hybrids are whooshy, Ferraris are unpleasant to listen too...
Old 16 Jun 2012, 11:11 (Ref:3091869)   #2182
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
I for one hope atleast someone puts the Corvette engine to use in a LMP...want a loud thunderous V8 roar? Corvette all the way!
Old 16 Jun 2012, 14:02 (Ref:3091992)   #2183
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
what I have missed (overlooked?) in the discussion here sofar is that ACO wants to something about the strong lightbeams that some cars seem to have. To me this would for instance concern the Rebellion Lolas (simply can't call them Lotus)
Old 16 Jun 2012, 22:28 (Ref:3092720)   #2184
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Some of you have been complaining about a possible lack of LMP1 entries in 2014. How about Having LMP2-Pro with free lineups for teams like Pescarolo, Strakka, JRM, Signatec, etc, and a LMP2-Am for amateurs?
Old 17 Jun 2012, 04:04 (Ref:3093126)   #2185
Jake34
Rookie

Jake34 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Some of you have been complaining about a possible lack of LMP1 entries in 2014. How about Having LMP2-Pro with free lineups for teams like Pescarolo, Strakka, JRM, Signatec, etc, and a LMP2-Am for amateurs?
LMP2 is perfect, leave it be.

In 2014 privateers will be allowed to run without a hybrid and at a lower weight than factories, they'll have a greater choice of engines, for example Pescarolo believes the Judd V10 is a more suitable endurance engine than the V8, they could also look at engines produced for F1 and Indycar.

Chassis will be available if there is a market, Wirth will almost certainly build a car, Dome have shown interest, a German company in one of a number looking to purchase Lola, and you have people like Delta (ex Reynard) eyeing up LMP1.
Old 17 Jun 2012, 04:18 (Ref:3093132)   #2186
Jake34
Rookie

Jake34 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman View Post
These new rules are, to most people, are an unnecessary complicated mess which only techno nerds and window lickers can possibly understand.I don't know anyone who makes the annual pilgrimage to La Sarthe each year, who gives a toss about Hybrid systems or how far a car can travel on 4.63 litres of fuel!

They go for raw speed, power, fun and spine-tingling excitement.Sure the technology is very clever but so is quantum physics and who wants to watch that.

Give me a Chevvy V8, a V10 Viper, a V12 Aston or best of all, some sort of twin turbo Nissan "nutter *******" engine which produces 2,000 bhp before its pistons melt.

Then take out the Mulsanne chicanes and see if some loony Frenchman will attempt to hit 300mph during qualifying.

I would travel along way and pay good money to see that - and I did throughout the 80's!
The new rules are a welcome simplification.

At present you are limited with engine choice, and have restrictors to limit power. In 2014 engine choice will be almost entirely free, your only limit is your fuel allocation over a single lap, the benefit of this is the same engines and technology can be developed over a prolonged period, and the ACO can control speeds simply by reducing fuel allocation each season (which is also good for green credentials). This could literally mean engine regulations never need change again, ever, as there aren't any regs to begin with!

It will be very interesting to see how a particular engine improves over, say, a five year period, just as we saw the Porsche flat six get more powerful and better fuel economy with ever stricter Group C fuel allocations.

The new rules open up the possibilty for Corvette to use their V8 in P1, likewise Nissans 1.6 Turbo, someone else can use an F1 engine, another an Indycar engine, just ensure the engine can meet the fuel limit.
Old 17 Jun 2012, 08:45 (Ref:3093306)   #2187
cdsvg
Racer

Australia
cdsvg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anybody know when we'll see the full 2014 chassis rules?
Old 17 Jun 2012, 11:10 (Ref:3093506)   #2188
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They were supposed to be approved and published Friday, but I have been too busy to check.
Old 17 Jun 2012, 11:10 (Ref:3093508)   #2189
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
They were supposed to be approved and published Friday, but I have been too busy to check.
They were approved, but not published yet: http://tentenths.com/forum/showpost....postcount=2162
Old 17 Jun 2012, 13:13 (Ref:3093615)   #2190
davehenrie
Racer

United States
Post Falls Idaho(up in the Skinny part)
davehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddavehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
perhaps there are still those who believe in the infinite supply of fossile fuels...
Actually, there is a new theory, based partly on the latest discoveries of embedded oil, that yes, there is a much larger quantity of oil than previously thought. Hydrocarbon fuels appear to be spread in vast shale deposits in much greater density than previously suspected. This gives rise to the notion that 'fossil fuel' is a misnomer and does not fully describe the process which creates oil in what is essentially sea floor, not the most inviting playground for the hundreds of millions of extinct creatures needed to create the huge amounts of oil being discovered.
Infinite? Perhaps not, but certainly no where near the end of the modern world scenario that has been painted.
Old 17 Jun 2012, 13:16 (Ref:3093620)   #2191
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehenrie View Post
Actually, there is a new theory, based partly on the latest discoveries of embedded oil, that yes, there is a much larger quantity of oil than previously thought. Hydrocarbon fuels appear to be spread in vast shale deposits in much greater density than previously suspected. This gives rise to the notion that 'fossil fuel' is a misnomer and does not fully describe the process which creates oil in what is essentially sea floor, not the most inviting playground for the hundreds of millions of extinct creatures needed to create the huge amounts of oil being discovered.
Infinite? Perhaps not, but certainly no where near the end of the modern world scenario that has been painted.
Have a look at the shale deposits in Canada and check how and at what cost and with what environmental damage these hydrocarbons have to be produced...I am sure you will agree with that if this type of production is absolutely necessary to fulfill our basic needs, than motorsport is not one of these needs.
Old 17 Jun 2012, 13:22 (Ref:3093627)   #2192
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Deleted post.
Old 17 Jun 2012, 13:25 (Ref:3093630)   #2193
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehenrie View Post
Oops! That's not part of "the narrative". Next they will be calling you names and insulting your intelligence.
Old 17 Jun 2012, 13:27 (Ref:3093635)   #2194
davehenrie
Racer

United States
davehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddavehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I for one hope atleast someone puts the Corvette engine to use in a LMP...want a loud thunderous V8 roar? Corvette all the way!
LMPc/FLM
Old 17 Jun 2012, 13:54 (Ref:3093654)   #2195
davehenrie
Racer

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
Oops! That's not part of "the narrative". Next they will be calling you names and insulting your intelligence.
I think I have done a pretty good job insulting my own intelligence for years.
Old 17 Jun 2012, 13:58 (Ref:3093655)   #2196
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
...but they will be happy to assist.
Old 17 Jun 2012, 14:39 (Ref:3093672)   #2197
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake34 View Post
LMP2 is perfect, leave it be.

In 2014 privateers will be allowed to run without a hybrid and at a lower weight than factories, they'll have a greater choice of engines, for example Pescarolo believes the Judd V10 is a more suitable endurance engine than the V8, they could also look at engines produced for F1 and Indycar.

Chassis will be available if there is a market, Wirth will almost certainly build a car, Dome have shown interest, a German company in one of a number looking to purchase Lola, and you have people like Delta (ex Reynard) eyeing up LMP1.
You have more about Delta? Is that why they support ADR?
Old 18 Jun 2012, 05:10 (Ref:3093924)   #2198
chewymonster
Veteran

chewymonster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
They've got that wrong. Privateer cars (which are not required to use ERS) can weigh 830; Factory cars (which are required to use ERS) must weigh 850.

A nice break for privateers.

Diesel has about 10% more energy per liter but the new rules give gas engines 20-25% more fuel flow and tank size.
Old 18 Jun 2012, 05:18 (Ref:3093926)   #2199
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewymonster View Post
Diesel has about 10% more energy per liter but the new rules give gas engines 20-25% more fuel flow and tank
size.
silently admitting that with Peugeot gone the need for diesels is no longer high on the ACO agenda.
Old 18 Jun 2012, 05:43 (Ref:3093930)   #2200
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
silently admitting that with Peugeot gone the need for diesels is no longer high on the ACO agenda.
Here we agree 100%.