Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 23 Mar 2013, 02:26 (Ref:3223056)   #2176
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's within the rules? Since when?
Old 23 Mar 2013, 05:47 (Ref:3223074)   #2177
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Since it's been allowed? Don can do what he wants it seems.
Old 23 Mar 2013, 09:08 (Ref:3223111)   #2178
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm a fan of the DeltaWing. Supported it at Le Mans and enjoyed watching it.

But to argue and justify the thing on the basis that it fits in with the rules isn't going to fly when it simply makes up the rules as it goes along.

My only issue with it isn't the car itself, it's just the way that the latest whim of Don is getting written into the rules of the new American series which is already going to be enough of a mess without it.
Old 23 Mar 2013, 11:51 (Ref:3223157)   #2179
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
IT'S WITHIN THEIR RULES.
Incorrect. Unless you consider making up things as they go along "rules"
Old 23 Mar 2013, 11:58 (Ref:3223158)   #2180
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What they are making up as they go along are their rules. Seeing as it is a brand new series with no rules, they kind of have to make them up as tye go along, don't they.

Not saying the DWing is good or bad, just pointing out that they Have to make up rules or there won't be any. If they want DWing rules, it's their rule to make---it's their series.
Old 23 Mar 2013, 12:29 (Ref:3223169)   #2181
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
What they are making up as they go along are their rules. Seeing as it is a brand new series with no rules, they kind of have to make them up as tye go along, don't they.
Fair point but it's also happening right now in the ALMS.
Old 23 Mar 2013, 12:43 (Ref:3223173)   #2182
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Again, though, it's their series---all the rules in ALMS are rules they just made up or decided to borrow from ACO/FIA, and modify at will.

Seriously, in 2004 what were the diesel rules? In 2008 what were the hybrid rules. ACO just "made them up." What are the current fuel consumption rules? For 2014, ACO/FIA are "making up' rules whenever they want.

Still not saying the DWing is good or bad, but to me the issue with rules is "Are they fair to all?" and "Do they create a good on-track product?"

I don't think the diesel; rules were fair until Toyota announced, I don't think the hybrid rules were really fair last year, with the 120-kph front-wheel hybrid restriction.

If the Don wants the DWing ... even if it is running at PC speeds ... my main interest is that the car is not given so many rules breaks it can run faster than cars meeting the "normal car" regs.
Old 24 Mar 2013, 10:15 (Ref:3223537)   #2183
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
The WEC doesn't just make up regulations. At least they're trying for equalization. If Toyota didn't have that 300hp hybird they'd be slower than Audi. And if Audi was allowed 4wd full time (or from 0kmh) they'd be even more dominant. Every series has to have rules, but just letting something in because the guy who runs it wants to is a little bit 'out there'. But at least he's racing!
Old 24 Mar 2013, 10:54 (Ref:3223595)   #2184
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
That thing should have been let burn to the ground at Sebring , and the little urn of ash's placed upon a dustbin in the Le Mans museum of utter rubbish .

Way I see it ..... no matter what engine they have had in it , last years Nissan was as good as anybody elses , it isn't as fast as the slowest car in its class by a long way , looks awful , and just doesn't work ..... Its had plenty of time for development , plenty of decent engineers and tyres and some class drivers ..... plenty of money thrown at it . It doesn't apply to any class rules ..... where does it all end I ask myself !!!

We laugh at Taurus/Dawson effort , but at least he has in his defense a limited budget .....
Old 24 Mar 2013, 19:15 (Ref:3223894)   #2185
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
That thing should have been let burn to the ground at Sebring , and the little urn of ash's placed upon a dustbin in the Le Mans museum of utter rubbish .

Way I see it ..... no matter what engine they have had in it , last years Nissan was as good as anybody elses , it isn't as fast as the slowest car in its class by a long way , looks awful , and just doesn't work ..... Its had plenty of time for development , plenty of decent engineers and tyres and some class drivers ..... plenty of money thrown at it . It doesn't apply to any class rules ..... where does it all end I ask myself !!!

We laugh at Taurus/Dawson effort , but at least he has in his defense a limited budget .....

Petit LeMans was done on a shoestring and it was quite successful.

Sebring was the result of a new bunch taking it over and falling on their faces.

If the rules 40 years ago were like they are now, there would be no wings on cars (although I might argue that would be a good thing), no carbon brakes, no carbon fiber chassis. We would have missed out on a lot of technical development. Fortunately a little bit of experimentation is slipping back into auto racing.
Old 24 Mar 2013, 20:11 (Ref:3223958)   #2186
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Are we still going on with being childish and calling it the Wang?
No. Anyone who wants warnings/infractions and points, can go ahead. Or you can post like grown-ups instead.
Old 24 Mar 2013, 20:16 (Ref:3223964)   #2187
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by miatanut View Post
If the rules 40 years ago were like they are now, there would be no wings on cars (although I might argue that would be a good thing), no carbon brakes, no carbon fiber chassis. We would have missed out on a lot of technical development. Fortunately a little bit of experimentation is slipping back into auto racing.
I always thought experimentation and innovation were at the core of motorsport and with the D-Wing it's not dead.
Old 25 Mar 2013, 03:00 (Ref:3224137)   #2188
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
No. Anyone who wants warnings/infractions and points, can go ahead. Or you can post like grown-ups instead.
This seems very clear. Various versions of the same statement have been written in several threads on this forum. Several times!
Old 25 Mar 2013, 11:06 (Ref:3224311)   #2189
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchZ06 View Post
I don't care that it's weird looking or any of that, it's the fact that it's NOT a sportscar and does not belong in sportscar racing. It's a failed Indycar project and got laughed out their doors and as such should have fallen into the void like all other failed projects. The other thing that makes me hate this thing with a passion is the so called innovation....yeah it's a new shape for a racing car but nothing about it other than that is innovative! Venturi tunnels, err GTP, Group C and alot of other cars since aero got serious has used them. Hmmm, what next? Torque distributing differentials? FWD 'sports' cars have them. Small displacement low power engine? Been done before. Light weight? LMP675 anyone?

In all honesty if they came out and said "look, we like the look of this thing and think it's cool, here's the performance goals we're seeking and we're going to try and hit them" I wouldn't be so against it. I'd still call it the DeltaWang and all manner of other phallus names but labelling it innovative is like calling the turds I leave in my toilet innovative....
hey dude you contradicted yourself in the 1st and 2nd paragraph.
at least they are doing something, if you look at all the other cars that have been on the grid, like the posche Gt3 cup cars, they look similar to the cars that were racing 20 years ago! that to me is boring, at least they're doing something different, noones going to expect them to be at the top, maybe not yet. but nothings better then seeing something new for a change, (car, sounds, aero's, new fans etc) something some aussie's in the early 90's found hard to do.
Old 25 Mar 2013, 11:14 (Ref:3224317)   #2190
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't believe I did, care to show me exactly where I've contradicted myself?
Old 27 Mar 2013, 05:13 (Ref:3225383)   #2191
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Some people just need to STOP coming to the page just so they can appear to be smart and yet add nothing to the conversation. If you hate the project so much, IGNORE it and move on; but to constantly and incessantly try to convert everyone by bad mouthing every chance possible is beyond childish. I'd expect even a child to get bored with hearing himself yammer on by now, but now we still get people who have put up NO money to do anything within the series deciding what other people should be doing and what's allowed. Is it the race?? Then guess what, IT'S WITHIN THEIR RULES, whether you like or not. Rant over for the month and back to DSC for sportscar news as the constant whinging on here is annoying and just isn't worth my time anymore.
That's right. Love it or hate it, 20 years from now we'll be at the racetrack talking about it (and I mean that literally broad... I bet we will ). It garners quite a bit of attention at the track as well.
Old 11 Apr 2013, 02:17 (Ref:3232266)   #2192
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Well well, take a look at what I got in the mail today (not a member of IEEE, just subscribe to the magazine)
Old 11 Apr 2013, 06:39 (Ref:3232324)   #2193
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
So what does the article say, anything of interest or new?
Old 11 Apr 2013, 16:29 (Ref:3232565)   #2194
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is that smoke they show coming out of the back of the car?

DK
Old 11 Apr 2013, 18:00 (Ref:3232618)   #2195
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nothing new, just some basic info on the car. And of course: Price: Unknown
Old 12 Apr 2013, 13:03 (Ref:3232939)   #2196
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FstrthnU View Post
Nothing new, just some basic info on the car. And of course: Price: Unknown
Is that your address on the envelope? I know its upside down but its clearly readable on a public internet forum.......
Old 12 Apr 2013, 14:46 (Ref:3232989)   #2197
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
John Dagys ‏@johndagys 3m
Ran into @DeltaWingRace team manager Dave Price, confirming DeltaWing will be out testing next week and will race at @MazdaRaceway nxt month

John Dagys ‏@johndagys 3m
Look for a similar driver lineup in the DeltaWing for the @MazdaRaceway round.. DW Coupe to debut mid-year, probably July/Aug.
Old 12 Apr 2013, 15:02 (Ref:3233002)   #2198
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxk1 View Post
Is that smoke they show coming out of the back of the car?

DK
Looks like light reflecting off the plastic envelope the magazine came in.
Old 12 Apr 2013, 21:06 (Ref:3233146)   #2199
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Is that your address on the envelope? I know its upside down but its clearly readable on a public internet forum.......
Whoops, good catch. I guess im taking down the image (if another copy is kept on this server then could a mod please delete the image?)
Old 17 Apr 2013, 12:04 (Ref:3235762)   #2200
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
The May 2013 edition of Racecar Engineering has an article about the development of the Elan/Mazda engine: http://gb.zinio.com/reader.jsp?issn=0961-1096&p=59

The engine was created from scratch in just 3 months. It is a small miracle that they had a new engine at all. The engine spent only 30 minutes on the test bench before it was installed into the car

They estimate that the development of the engine was 40% complete when they debuted the car in Sebring. Even though the development was rushed, the engine produces 355 bhp and weighs only 78 kg.

The article confirms that a carbon fibre engine block is in the planning.