Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 12 Sep 2014, 15:17 (Ref:3452604)   #201
Christian Mogami
Racer

Austria
Christian Mogami has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
ACO/FIA talking about testing limit of 40-50 days a year for the LMP1.
Old 12 Sep 2014, 15:26 (Ref:3452606)   #202
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Mogami View Post
f1 style facepalm rule...
Old 12 Sep 2014, 15:28 (Ref:3452609)   #203
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Would anyone with more knowledge care to fill me in on how much testing the factory squads currently do?
Old 12 Sep 2014, 15:35 (Ref:3452612)   #204
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Mogami View Post
The Motorsport Total article you're referring to does not only talk about P1 but 40-50 is for all the classes.

Anyway, as I said earlier... now teams in other series can have extra luxury over these teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana
Also, if they do start limiting testing in any form then USCC & ELMS & (lolz) AsLMS & other possible guests have extra advantage for LM if they don't have to follow any limits WEC has. Unless they start limiting classes as whole... but how could you limit say what Corvette Racing does in US for their series
Old 12 Sep 2014, 15:38 (Ref:3452614)   #205
TRuss
Veteran

TRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been waiting for the FIA to FIA it up.
Old 12 Sep 2014, 15:41 (Ref:3452615)   #206
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
Would anyone with more knowledge care to fill me in on how much testing the factory squads currently do?
as far I know toyota usually starts to test on january at paul ricard, during the winter sometimes tests at algarve too. After the spa race, TMG uses to test the LD car at aragon in spain. This year tested the car on summer at magny cours...
but I guess they test much less than 50 days a year.

No doubt that audi is the one who tests more... abu dhabi in december-january, sebring in february, monza during the spring to test the LD car. Last year and this year during summer they tested at lausitzring. Surely they do some test at paul ricard too during the year.

Last edited by carbon_titanium; 12 Sep 2014 at 15:49.
Old 12 Sep 2014, 16:13 (Ref:3452625)   #207
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Yes, this would seem to be more detrimental to Audi (and Porsche?) on the surface. We know that Toyota's budget, while considerable, is far less than the VAG duo so if they weren't affected by this proposed limit it wouldn't surprise me.

I don't think this would do anything to close the gap with privateers on its own though - we have seen a lot of factory unreliability this year but I imagine that would be almost all sorted by next season. Perhaps it's meant more as a preventative measure to ensure nobody can test their way to winning*.

*Any more than is currently the case, before the inevitable budget arguments start.
Old 12 Sep 2014, 16:23 (Ref:3452627)   #208
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRuss View Post
FIA already FIAted it up when we lost merged grids and Grade 2 tracks.
Old 12 Sep 2014, 16:27 (Ref:3452628)   #209
carbon_titanium
Veteran

Agree, also because rebellion racing, who is the richest among the 2 only remaining lmp1 private teams, as far I know this year did only one test session at paul ricard before spa race (maybe they tested during summer, but I don't know). Lotus did 2 or 3 test sessions so far. Is very unlikely that rebellion and lotus will do another test session before the end of the season... to put a test cap in WEC is simply insane.
Old 12 Sep 2014, 19:12 (Ref:3452670)   #210
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRuss View Post
And lets pretend teams or ACO had no say in this and were never ever asked by FIA even once.

Seriously.

Last edited by deggis; 12 Sep 2014 at 19:19.
Old 12 Sep 2014, 19:25 (Ref:3452671)   #211
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
Should be fairly easy to estimate, because even currently "closed private testing" is limited to 10 days. Rest of the tests are "open private testing", which have to be informed to the FIA, which then informs other teams and the team that reserved the circuit can not forbid participation of other teams. So, in theory there could be 10 days done in secrecy, rest should have been more or less public. Wouldn't be surprised if they currently do not even hit that 40-50 limit.

So yes, there is already a testing restriction. If someone didn't know that, that someone can now retroactively label past seasons as total FIA-ruined crap. Oh yeah, also ALMS always had one and way stricter than the mentioned 40-50 days.
Old 12 Sep 2014, 19:27 (Ref:3452673)   #212
David Land
Veteran

United States
Franklin, Indiana
David Land has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Tweet from Dagys:

Quote:
I'm starting to lose my mind. Just learned of a 5th #TUSC team that's evaluating a potential #FIAWEC program for 2015. Crazy. @FIAWEC
TUSC is really starting to look meager. Such poor management.
Old 12 Sep 2014, 23:57 (Ref:3452740)   #213
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Actually, if each class gets 40-50 test days, especially in LMP1, I doubt that it'll change much. If anything, on the surface, it's less restrictive than the current format, where each team is allowed 10 days to do whatever they want with.

Granted, that can be circumvented by declaring tests to be open tests and even buying extra days off the ACO by paying an extra fee.

But as it stands now, if it's 50 days per class, everyone still gets the 10 days to do whatever they want with in LMP1, and I think that the ACO and FIA will still have some loopholes that Audi, Porsche, and even Toyota can exploit--and we know that even Toyota likely test for more than 10 days a season.

Of course, neither set of testing restrictions don't mean much if teams can get around them though inbred loopholes, and Audi, Porsche and Toyota have done a lot more rig-post, engine and chassis dyno, rolling road windtunnel, and bench testing than any private team can dream of. Even Audi admitted that they've done significantly less on-track testing than they've done the past couple of years because of improvements in the in-house testing proceedures.

Also, let's not forget that Audi and Porsche essentially own "race tracks" in their own backyards to test cars. That's the only thing that TMG's facility lacks, and they'd probably have one if not for money and property space issues.

Last edited by chernaudi; 13 Sep 2014 at 00:03.
Old 13 Sep 2014, 00:05 (Ref:3452743)   #214
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Land View Post
Tweet from Dagys:

TUSC is really starting to look meager. Such poor management.

Hmmm very interesting but I wonder it could be. Doubt it would from the GTLM and in that I could only think of Falken going to the worldwide series seeing as though the rest don't see the benefit of racing outside of the US.
Old 13 Sep 2014, 00:20 (Ref:3452746)   #215
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
There are many ways of interpreting what that 'tire limit' means, it doesn't necessarily mean limiting tires during race (and most certainly not Le Mans).

Reduce testing is the single biggest mistake F1 has made in the past decade.

Also, artificially trying to create unreliability for LMP1 so that few privateers can possibly have a chance? What a strange argument.
I agree that reduced testing in F1 has been a disaster. But we're not talking about F1.

F1 is the pinnacle - it's about speed, money and above all, excess. In my opinion, the moment you restrict anything, you weaken the product.

As for disagreeing with me on the unreliability point - fine, I see the pros and cons to both sides, but I would like an explanation as to why it's a "strange" argument - I see the other side, and I wouldn't call it strange. Modern motor racing is often so clinical and professional, it lacks the variables it once had. 20, 30, 40 years ago there were enough variables for a garagiste to win, let alone a privateer. I'd rather have certain limits in place than outwright budget caps in the top class, that is for sure....

I suspect the testing rules won't change much anyway. We're probably talking about limiting to what it is now - before things get silly with the addition of Nissan.
Old 13 Sep 2014, 00:38 (Ref:3452753)   #216
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Actually, if each class gets 40-50 test days, especially in LMP1, I doubt that it'll change much. If anything, on the surface, it's less restrictive than the current format, where each team is allowed 10 days to do whatever they want with.

Granted, that can be circumvented by declaring tests to be open tests and even buying extra days off the ACO by paying an extra fee.

But as it stands now, if it's 50 days per class, everyone still gets the 10 days to do whatever they want with in LMP1, and I think that the ACO and FIA will still have some loopholes that Audi, Porsche, and even Toyota can exploit--and we know that even Toyota likely test for more than 10 days a season.

Of course, neither set of testing restrictions don't mean much if teams can get around them though inbred loopholes, and Audi, Porsche and Toyota have done a lot more rig-post, engine and chassis dyno, rolling road windtunnel, and bench testing than any private team can dream of. Even Audi admitted that they've done significantly less on-track testing than they've done the past couple of years because of improvements in the in-house testing proceedures.

Also, let's not forget that Audi and Porsche essentially own "race tracks" in their own backyards to test cars. That's the only thing that TMG's facility lacks, and they'd probably have one if not for money and property space issues.
You dont need a test track when you have what tmg has. Even f1 teams go there, and not just Caterham, but McLaren and Ferrari. They use the Toyota tunnel to calibrate their own tunnel Besides, with the team up with Oreca, they have Paul Ricard.
Old 13 Sep 2014, 02:21 (Ref:3452772)   #217
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I'm just saying that if Toyota had enough room and could spare some cash, they'd have their own small test track without having to venture to Spa or the Nurburgring, which neither are especially far away from Cologne, or Paul Ricard, which is in the south of France.

Also, though I believe that the new revised test limits won't seriously impact any of the LMP1 teams, I do have a question about the track grades. PR, Nur and Spa for Toyota are Grade 1T or above (Spa and Nur are Grade 1, PR is at least Grade 1T), the Audi test track would for sure be a Grade 2 based on layout and such.

But the Porsche Weissach test track, that track looks more like a hillclimb than a "track". A hairy-chested venue for sure, but it wouldn't rank high on the FIA track grade ratings.
Old 13 Sep 2014, 12:07 (Ref:3452894)   #218
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
JoestForEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Testing limits is the stupidest cost cutting ideas. It only directs testing money to build expensive simulators which is something that the privateers can never catch up regardless of money.
Old 14 Sep 2014, 00:22 (Ref:3453050)   #219
TRuss
Veteran

TRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
And lets pretend teams or ACO had no say in this and were never ever asked by FIA even once.

Seriously.
Relax. It's just an Internet forum.
Old 14 Sep 2014, 01:52 (Ref:3453068)   #220
Gulf
Racer

Gulf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoestForEver View Post
Testing limits is the stupidest cost cutting ideas. It only directs testing money to build expensive simulators which is something that the privateers can never catch up regardless of money.
This.

There should be no testing limit at some point cost cutting has to stop.
Old 14 Sep 2014, 11:38 (Ref:3453197)   #221
Deleted
Veteran

This should rather belong to LM section but since I think it lacks appropriate thread let's just put it here:

In regards to the recent V8 Supercar calendar announcement, there will be no clash between V8SC and Le Mans (or Test Day!) next year as there so often is! So fellas with aspirations like Lowndes could come and play without worries and try something other than GT3 for a change.
Old 15 Sep 2014, 12:32 (Ref:3453548)   #222
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Bahrain confirmed through 2017

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/f...-through-2017/

Let the complaining unfold...
Old 15 Sep 2014, 12:38 (Ref:3453550)   #223
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
Bahrain confirmed through 2017

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/f...-through-2017/

Let the complaining unfold...
I don't see any profound grounds to really complain. I had issues with going to Bahrain at the height of the human rights controversy, especially as F1 hadn't gone - which meant it all smacked a little too much of the squalid side of politics than a sound racing decision.

Bahrain is clearly putting a degree of cash into the series, to say nothing of doling out dates at Le Mans, and in the interest of series continuity and building interest in the region I can't really have any issues with it. Is it the most exciting track we'll ever see? Well no, it's not that, but it has produced some decent races in the past and I can't help thinking there's a requirement for the WEC to have some sort of footprint in the Gulf area.
Old 15 Sep 2014, 12:48 (Ref:3453555)   #224
Deleted
Veteran

Dagys is unusually late with that, it was announced days ago. Also he forgot to mention the full-F1-floodlights-for-WEC-for-some-reason, because last year they were 'only' at 60%
Old 15 Sep 2014, 15:35 (Ref:3453582)   #225
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Fine with me. Given I doubt I'll ever attend the race I'm actually quite happy about the increased lighting. It'll be easier to follow on TV.