Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 21 Jul 2005, 15:56 (Ref:1360201)   #201
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The ALMS site has some images up from the Estoril test and other PR shots:

http://www.americanlemans.com/galler...ery.aspx?ID=25

Notice here you can see car #7 in the background.

http://www.americanlemans.com/Galler...2005984862.JPG
Old 21 Jul 2005, 18:43 (Ref:1360321)   #202
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen

great eyes there... good to know that they already have two chassis completed and ready to go.
Old 21 Jul 2005, 18:53 (Ref:1360326)   #203
awegrzyn
Racer

awegrzyn has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Somehow I'm not impressed with the new design of LMP2 cars. Even this new Porsche seems ugly in the rear part of it. The new LMP2 cars seem skinny in the back and they are raised slightly too high for my taste. The new Lola, Luccini and the Porsche share the same characteristics I do not like. Maybe I’m the only one complaining, but I preferred the LMP designed better (Lister, Dallara, Audi, Bentley, Dyson’s Lola, Dome). Not to mention DBA (Zytek), that car is drop dead gorgeous.
Old 21 Jul 2005, 18:59 (Ref:1360331)   #204
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hate the Dyson Lola myself.

Looks like an F3 car with bodywork!

Personally I like the chunckier look of the LMP2s.

On track the ride hight looks similar to the old cars.
Old 21 Jul 2005, 19:08 (Ref:1360339)   #205
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
RS Spyder? eh. I'll get used to it. A Porsche for the lighter class, apt.

I like it (for a topless one!). I'm pleased to see it on track. It seems everything went well and some Penske boys were there too. I want it to race, now!
Old 21 Jul 2005, 19:50 (Ref:1360369)   #206
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
gi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Strange but with driver in place the Porsche looks bigger that I'd expected from the promo shots, especially in this one:

http://www.americanlemans.com/Galler...0059551140.JPG

In terms of P2 design, the thing I dislike is the 'mudguard' look that spoils the rear view.
Old 21 Jul 2005, 20:24 (Ref:1360396)   #207
lj79
Veteran

Qatar
lj79 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by lj79
For footage try the Porsche AG website.

This is video footage. Looks ok, sounds fantastic
Old 21 Jul 2005, 20:30 (Ref:1360400)   #208
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen

7 is an old Joest number ..... wishfull thinking !!!
Old 21 Jul 2005, 20:37 (Ref:1360408)   #209
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I like the attention being paid to driver safety on the newer cars. Much more cockpit surround protection.

At first I thought the car looked tidy and nothing more. After watching the video during the ALMS broadcast I was much more impressed with the way the car moved and sounded. The design is definitely growing on me.

As far as size is concerned, nothing says a P2 car has to be small. Some of the 675 designed cars are quite close to the 900 cars size wise.
Old 21 Jul 2005, 20:40 (Ref:1360414)   #210
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Link to video and wallpaper size pics here:

http://www2.us.porsche.com/usa/

Just click the Porsche RS Spyder link at the bottom.
Old 21 Jul 2005, 20:51 (Ref:1360428)   #211
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That's a lovely sounding car! Can't wait to see it hit the races!
Old 21 Jul 2005, 21:39 (Ref:1360462)   #212
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The video is good. Crash.net remarks that the Estoril circuit seems bumpy in the Porsche. It does, but it also indicates the Porsche porpoises a little. A trait of many racing cars. Of course it is early days in set-up.
Old 21 Jul 2005, 21:44 (Ref:1360464)   #213
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
when it's night time I'm too tired to work out what the word "porpoises" means lol - what a word for this time of night hehe
Old 21 Jul 2005, 22:16 (Ref:1360481)   #214
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I must admit I've always thought it odd. It is better than "bouncies up and down at the front a lot" though!
Old 21 Jul 2005, 23:32 (Ref:1360498)   #215
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Nice. Very nice. Can't wait for Petit Le Mans, but I'm very disappointed that Penske has no plans to go to La Sarthe next year. Alas!
Old 21 Jul 2005, 23:33 (Ref:1360499)   #216
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
The video is good. Crash.net remarks that the Estoril circuit seems bumpy in the Porsche. It does, but it also indicates the Porsche porpoises a little. A trait of many racing cars. Of course it is early days in set-up.
It would seem to be going a bit out on the limb to say the Porsche porpoises based on a short video clip at what is admittedly a bumpy track. Typically when you use the word porpoise you are speaking of an aero. induced instability and not speaking of what is expected to be the normal up and down undulations a car will undergo on a bumpy circuit.
Old 21 Jul 2005, 23:59 (Ref:1360504)   #217
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
I want it to race, now!
Yes, the waiting is the toughest part! Glad to see the test footage of it romping around, but sure can't wait to see what it does in battle!!!

robert.
Old 22 Jul 2005, 00:06 (Ref:1360507)   #218
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
"bouncies up and down at the front a lot" though!

Wow, on the page before this in thread you are talking about liking it even if it is 'topless,' and here you go with the quote above.......just what sort of bars is it you go to.......?
Old 22 Jul 2005, 06:08 (Ref:1360572)   #219
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewBob
when it's night time I'm too tired to work out what the word "porpoises" means lol - what a word for this time of night hehe
It means the car is like a fish !!!
Old 22 Jul 2005, 06:16 (Ref:1360576)   #220
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulsanneMike
It would seem to be going a bit out on the limb to say the Porsche porpoises based on a short video clip at what is admittedly a bumpy track. Typically when you use the word porpoise you are speaking of an aero. induced instability and not speaking of what is expected to be the normal up and down undulations a car will undergo on a bumpy circuit.
Porpoising normally refers to a front splitter issue I think ?
Old 22 Jul 2005, 07:06 (Ref:1360590)   #221
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just incredible! Can't explain just how good it feels to see a new Porsche prototype hit the track.

I have to say that sadly on this side of the pond, it could be a very long time before we get to see it race. Commissioned by Porsche North America for customers to run in the ALMS. No plans to include Le Mans in the 2006 schedule nor for that matter any LMES races. And given that the car has been built specifically to sell to customers I have become increasingly doubtful about the prospect of an LMP1 effort.
Old 22 Jul 2005, 07:14 (Ref:1360596)   #222
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have too say it looks the business, but I am not sure about the name, they could have come up with something better than the "RS Spyder"
Old 22 Jul 2005, 07:33 (Ref:1360612)   #223
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by MulsanneMike
I agree it means little - it is early days too. While porpoising is generally aero isn't it normally induced by a bump on the circuit? However my comment was only a minor one due to the earlyness of test programme and single track.

Considering whether Estoril is bumpy (independent of porpoising or not). It is bumpy, but I would imagine not as much as most of the circuits in America this will race on.
Old 22 Jul 2005, 10:29 (Ref:1360694)   #224
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
Porpoising normally refers to a front splitter issue I think ?
Not necessarily. Just a general aerodynamic instability that is ride height related. In general the issue is typified by increasing downforce that brings the nose down and then a stall, popping the nose back up. This cyclical up and down movement from gaining and then loosing downforce is the "porpoise".
Old 22 Jul 2005, 10:35 (Ref:1360701)   #225
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
Quote:
I agree it means little - it is early days too. While porpoising is generally aero isn't it normally induced by a bump on the circuit?
Generally it is caused by an over sensitivity to ride height vs. downforce. The underbody does gain downforce as its ride height is reduced; that is normal. But porpoising is typified by a sudden gain (that the dampening system can't compensate for) that sucks the nose to the ground which then chokes the underfloor causing it to pop back up, which is then cyclically repeated as the car moves down the track typically at high speed.