Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 31 Jan 2008, 19:34 (Ref:2118007)   #201
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just as most have wished, next weeks programme is going to be based around the average clubman more................................................................................................ .................................................................................................... ..........its from the Monterey Historic Festival
Old 31 Jan 2008, 19:38 (Ref:2118012)   #202
LC driver
Rookie

Netherlands
The Netherlands
LC driver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone knows if it's downloadable somewhere
Old 31 Jan 2008, 20:03 (Ref:2118031)   #203
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
God,whatever next? A Mk 1 Tina ?
Terry - did you say TVR?

What's your Imp knowledge like??
Old 31 Jan 2008, 20:59 (Ref:2118086)   #204
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBRM
Terry - did you say TVR?

What's your Imp knowledge like??
Why,do you want one?? It just so happens ------
As for Tina ----abreviated Cor tina. Sorry to mislead Gregor.

Last edited by terence; 31 Jan 2008 at 21:02.
Old 3 Feb 2008, 19:39 (Ref:2119954)   #205
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

Simon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSimon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now remember, its not better or worse than our racing, its different.
Old 3 Feb 2008, 20:03 (Ref:2119973)   #206
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
To be honest I would feel more comfortable racing with those guys in the States with their more respectful attitude to racing expensive cars which I think should be applauded. I was quite surprised how hard historic cars get pushed over here especially at Goodwood. I suppose they do not have BTCC over there setting the standards. (We were talking about todays episode wer'nt we?)

Last edited by Al Weyman; 3 Feb 2008 at 20:09.
Old 3 Feb 2008, 20:29 (Ref:2119992)   #207
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Eric Falce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They still have there mishaps but they dont seem to be anywhere near the sort of demolition derby that takes place at Goodwood.I know when I was at Portland a few years ago one driver was pulled across the coals and told he would'nt race if he didnt clean his act up,did the trick.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 3 Feb 2008, 20:39 (Ref:2119999)   #208
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After watching tonight (and the others), I think I'd prefer to poke my eyes out than watch again.

There are some great cars (Allegedly!!) and I'm sure some nice people but from what I've seen and the way it's come across it's crap. I've met the Goldsmith's and I thought it portrayed them very badly and summed up the rich/eccentric English driver in a horrible way.

The way it came across with Roger was bad and luckily we can all laugh about it but look at the other sites, terrible.

Fingers crossed it will become a bit more subjective and stop being "Old Boy's Club".
Old 4 Feb 2008, 05:18 (Ref:2120227)   #209
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quite right Gregor,the americans will think we're all like it!. Thier cars should last longer though,5 lap races and not racing in the rain.Still,they do have two brilliant circuits.
Old 4 Feb 2008, 09:38 (Ref:2120315)   #210
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Quite right Gregor,the americans will think we're all like it!.
We are old boy (he said in his poshest North London cockney accent) :-)

I will say one thing, I thought the music playing during the incar shot reminded me of a take from the Stig's exploits on Top Gear and once that thought entered my head I could not erase it and spoilt the incar stuff for me. I will still watch next week without poking my eyes out!

Last edited by Al Weyman; 4 Feb 2008 at 09:41.
Old 4 Feb 2008, 09:53 (Ref:2120323)   #211
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Oh Absolutely Al ! Problem with poking one's eye's out is that you would not be able to watch this marvelous program at all. Dont think the shot of the people sipping champer's did much good,perhaps a little pretentious ?

The Stig would never listen to that crap,it would have to be dubbed in afterwards.!!

Last edited by terence; 4 Feb 2008 at 09:55.
Old 4 Feb 2008, 20:18 (Ref:2120998)   #212
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Thing is what ever we say about it, its a million times better than the other one thats on featuring Historics, what ones that you may ask, exactly there aint one!
Old 5 Feb 2008, 07:47 (Ref:2121352)   #213
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It is not supposed to be a report on the races but a pastiche of historic racing - to that end I think it is lagrely there, its unfair to compare it to the Goodwood dvd's as they have a lot more variety in both spectator and competitor to draw upon. They also have the added benefit of a lot of star drivers. I think it was very watchable (the Nurburgring was the only one I have seen) and if I stumbled across it again I would definately watch it.
Old 5 Feb 2008, 08:12 (Ref:2121365)   #214
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
I agree on the "Pastiche" view Somon,but I do think that if they had looked at a broader spectrum of the participating cars instead of just the upper end of racer,cars that viewers could possibly relate to,it would be quite a bit more watchable.What if they had stuck a camera in a mid-field car rather than mostly the front end of the grid,it would give more of an idea of what it's all about.So far I think that we have all been seen as a bunch of Hooray Henrys with far too much money that we dont know what to do with.
Old 5 Feb 2008, 08:19 (Ref:2121370)   #215
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
the one episode I saw was more Wayhay Wolfgangs than Hooray Henry's!
What about the Healey - that was a mid field car....

The limitation was also in the title - it might have been better to have incorporated GT races and Saloon.
Old 5 Feb 2008, 08:26 (Ref:2121376)   #216
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Fair comment,but what I would like to see is a camera in ,say the Micheal Pearson TR4,that was making some ground in amongst it,you might say.
As for the German episode, I think that really did have a negative effect,most people will now think that we're all a bunch of Count's.
Old 5 Feb 2008, 08:31 (Ref:2121381)   #217
Alan Brown
Racer

Alan Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with the last three posts. Laguna Seca was enjoyable because the circuit and some of the drivers/cars were new to me. But what is the target audience? Who watches the programmes? A few owners and drivers and a few fans of historic cars/races? I do not see the motorsport enthusiast, let alone the average follower, bothering to watch.
Old 5 Feb 2008, 08:40 (Ref:2121391)   #218
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Exactly Alan,if the cars were more in line with "I used to have one of those" type,I think it would have a larger audience.
Old 5 Feb 2008, 08:42 (Ref:2121392)   #219
simon drabble
Veteran

the only way to get larger audiences is to put on a whole show like Goodwood.
Old 5 Feb 2008, 08:55 (Ref:2121397)   #220
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Perhaps not a bad idea,it's about time another organization competed against Goodwood.
Old 5 Feb 2008, 09:42 (Ref:2121444)   #221
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
LYNX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
the only way to get larger audiences is to put on a whole show like Goodwood.
I'm not sure that is the answer given past experience where theTV coverage concentrated on stars of motor racing, aged past stars of screen and stage watching, plus music drowning the sound of the cars and far too long and too many interviews. A production team with knowledge of historic motorsport would be a good starting point!
Old 5 Feb 2008, 09:57 (Ref:2121459)   #222
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
The Production team would be a good starting point,it strikes me that they are struggling to put anything over about the car's that is totally accurate.
Old 5 Feb 2008, 10:01 (Ref:2121463)   #223
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Alain De Cadanet as presenter
Marcus Pye as commentator
Paul Lawrence as interviewer

There's plenty of enthusiasm and knowledge in that line up, I reckon.
Old 5 Feb 2008, 10:06 (Ref:2121470)   #224
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
As long as Marcus has the time.
Old 5 Feb 2008, 11:37 (Ref:2121538)   #225
simon drabble
Veteran

I cant see de Cad etc getting too excited about covering a wet meeting at Cadwell so I guess its got to be a big ta rty one somewhere!