Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 25 Jul 2012, 19:12 (Ref:3111378)   #201
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigley View Post
Easy!!! just get everyone to pack up as soon as possible after leaving assembly/pits. Give us a tight bunch and you'll get the pace.

I still don't think the method of getting cars from collecting to start of GFL helped. Near the back it was almost as if we were doing a lap to the grid to form up then do the GFL..... More emphasis on the start procedure at Briefing and less on flag colours, perhaps?

Old 25 Jul 2012, 21:54 (Ref:3111416)   #202
percy
Racer

percy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A great weekend spectating and wandering around the paddocks - a pain not being able to get to the Wing without queuing for a bus (I gave up on Saturday afternoon as the queue was so long).
Anyway - here is a selection of the many photographs I took over the weekend. Please drop me a PM if you want any photos or if you'd like to know whether I managed to catch your car at all...
F2 and F5000

Pre 66

The Kieft Climax at speed...

A great battle in the Woodcote trophy

Another great battle in the Formula Junior on Sunday
Old 25 Jul 2012, 22:22 (Ref:3111423)   #203
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by percy View Post
The Kieft Climax at speed...
Not the fastest car in the race, but was very good looking and very well presented. It wasn't on the entry list and took me some time to find out what it was. Owned (or at least driven) by a regular here I think.
Old 26 Jul 2012, 07:06 (Ref:3111517)   #204
percy
Racer

percy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaholic View Post
Not the fastest car in the race, but was very good looking and very well presented. It wasn't on the entry list and took me some time to find out what it was. Owned (or at least driven) by a regular here I think.
Indeed - owned and driven by a certain Rudolf Ernst, although it is Mike Hibberd driving in the photo above.
Old 26 Jul 2012, 07:59 (Ref:3111526)   #205
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A few pictures from the meeting at picasaweb.google.co.uk/rbmapics

Several of the Kieft which sounded great.
Old 26 Jul 2012, 15:45 (Ref:3111692)   #206
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
You cannot reduce the number of cars per garage with the number of race cars taking place.

Obviously if there is to be a reduction it should be with the more valuable, interesting 50's and 60's cars and leave these tin top things as they are.To much time with saloons anyway rather than real historic racing cars.All cars should be at least 25 years old and drivers 40+.

Question,How many real D Types raced and those Cortinas!

The young drivers and new cars should be in moderns rather than mess about with real cars.

I'll put on my coat
Old 26 Jul 2012, 16:14 (Ref:3111699)   #207
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Are you telling me Gareth is over 40.JR
Old 26 Jul 2012, 16:30 (Ref:3111708)   #208
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
He certainly is by many moon's
Old 26 Jul 2012, 16:59 (Ref:3111716)   #209
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkenr View Post
A problem we had been plagued with in 2011 had revisited us. The load cell in the gear knob which activates the flat shift was playing up again despite the whole system being returned to Bosch for rebuild at the beginning of the year. After race 1 we hooked up the lappie, tested it, tightened it but showed all was fine for race 2 on the screens.

...then through Chapel the knob/load cell came off in my hand.

Maximum 3 cars per garage
Re: para 1- I haven't the slightest idea what you are talking about

Re: para 2- Ahh, gear knob. I'm familiar with one of those

Re: para 3- You have got to be kidding! Anything above 6 is about normal....
Old 26 Jul 2012, 17:24 (Ref:3111724)   #210
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Is he describing a U2TC car or one of these new fangled things?

Cells and stuff!All beyond me.

Must be easier to play on one of those computer game gadgets rather than on a real track with real cars.
Old 26 Jul 2012, 17:40 (Ref:3111732)   #211
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
[QUOTE=john ruston;3111692]

All cars should be at least 25 years old and drivers 40+.
...................................................................................................

I could,nt agree with you more John. So there is hope for my 1972 replica GT40, and as for me, definitely 40 + ............

****** !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! **************** ????????????????

GT.
Old 26 Jul 2012, 17:54 (Ref:3111744)   #212
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt917 View Post

I could,nt agree with you more John. So there is hope for my 1972 replica GT40, and as for me, definitely 40 + ............

****** !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! **************** ????????????????

GT.

Interesting reading Marcus Pye on the Classic in Autosprout today. Basically- Great Racing, shame about the infrastructure!

Old 26 Jul 2012, 20:58 (Ref:3111813)   #213
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post

Interesting reading Marcus Pye on the Classic in Autosprout today. Basically- Great Racing, shame about the infrastructure!

Strangely enough, I've written something similar on the Exhibitor Feedback form we were sent yesterday. The organisers mustn't forget that the Silverstone Classic is first and foremost a race meeting, not a classic lifestyle fayre.
Old 27 Jul 2012, 09:19 (Ref:3111980)   #214
dank
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
dank should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Silverstone Classic is in the fortunate position of there perhaps being too much vying for spectator's attention. Complaints about it not offering value for money - like the letter published in this week's Autosport - don't really hold true.

83,500 turned out this year, so it must being doing something right. Although I do agree with one driver I spoke to at the weekend, it would be nice to see more of them in the grandstands.
Old 27 Jul 2012, 12:32 (Ref:3112097)   #215
Balgair
Rookie

United Kingdom
Balgair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
Although I do agree with one driver I spoke to at the weekend, it would be nice to see more of them in the grandstands.
As a spectator, I'd say there'd have been more of us in the grandstands had the more reachable ones actually been open! Going through Copse tunnel in particular, you got to walk past two closed grandstands before reaching an open one (at least in one direction, can't fully recall the other but it felt like the same distance walk), so anyone looking at the car clubs or National paddock had such a long walk to a grandstand that it didn't really feel worthwhile unless you were keen on that particular race. It didn't seem any better crossing the bridge instead of using the tunnel; the only place which seemed to have a nearby open grandstand was the International paddock, which was a pain to reach via the buses anyway so I only went up there once.

By the way, to the people complaining about younger cars being present: do bear in mind that one race for more modern cars probably attracted in a fair number of younger spectators (it certainly attracted me), who may have developed a new interest in classic cars as a result: a younger generation of enthusiasts can only be a good thing for ensuring these amazing vehicles survive long into the future.
Old 27 Jul 2012, 12:36 (Ref:3112100)   #216
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghirlracer View Post
By the way, to the people complaining about younger cars being present: do bear in mind that one race for more modern cars probably attracted in a fair number of younger spectators (it certainly attracted me), who may have developed a new interest in classic cars as a result: a younger generation of enthusiasts can only be a good thing for ensuring these amazing vehicles survive long into the future.
Old 27 Jul 2012, 13:29 (Ref:3112125)   #217
retrognome
Racer

retrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Strangely enough, I've written something similar on the Exhibitor Feedback form we were sent yesterday. The organisers mustn't forget that the Silverstone Classic is first and foremost a race meeting, not a classic lifestyle fayre.
No such feed-back form sent to us. Presumably media moans, such as no coffee or even water available in Media Centre, would be considered unreasonable. Roll on Old Timer Grand Prix, hot food, soft drinks and pastries with mid afternnon tea, they know how to treat a soaking wet photgrapher grabbing a break.

Photo Caption. Sorry mate, it aint got the right parking permit.
Attached Thumbnails
We found it parked  without a permit.jpg  
Old 29 Jul 2012, 10:04 (Ref:3113127)   #218
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thanks to BT, I was off air most of last week. Believe it or not, I did go both days although my time there on each was limited by the need to get home so that the dogs could uncross their legs and also get fed. The whole meeting, as usual, completely overwhelms me, and I'm coming to the conclusion that I am not a 'big' meeting person, preferring the ambience of the laid back smaller club historic racing; no doubt accounting for my involvement with FISCAR. Only managed to see a few races all weekend, made worse by the inaccessibility to certain areas and I didn't get to see too many people either. I went primarily to catch with Kev, who was reporting for Autosport, since I hadn't seen him since March! I was briefly able to say hi to Simon H but had a longer chat with Chris Sharples and it was great to actually have a face to face conversation with JR who I hadn't actually seen since for ages, and Gareth B, and regret not catching up with so many others.

For the first time, I got around using the buses and despite the length of the queues the service was good and swallowed us up quickly. The fabulous historic buses and coaches were actually one of the highlights for me and sitting behind the driver's cab in that wonderful Guy single decker half cab (see below) was fantastic. Shame he didn't hang the tail out in the corners, though! The Royal Blue coach (also below) brought back memeories as it is one of the iconic liveries from my childhood. Picture of one Mike Bell and car taken through the glass darkly (media centre window) included.

Have to say that I'm a bit at odds with one or two here, as I actually rather liked seeing the later saloons as it was something different from the normal fare. Maybe I'm becoming blase, but throwing in the occasional new grid is a good idea - some great liveries too. Talking of liveries the Martini LC2s were fantastic and I'm particularly sorry that once again I wasn't able to catch up with Roger Wills to drool over his Lancia, but then Roger is always a moving target at this meeting jumping from one car to another! The Group C cars which I've probably been a bit ambivalent about in the past put on a great show on Sunday and whilst I know the C9 is a wonderful car and should have won really anyway, I was cheering on the Jagermeister 962 (another mega livery) and the Martini LC2s, hopeful that one of them would overcome the Silver Arrow. Good to see some 962s out this year, but instead we seemed short on Jaguars! Probably the Pre 63 GT grid was again my favourite. Anyway enough waffle, a few paddock shots. I might get around to putting some shots up of the few races I actually saw, later
Attached Thumbnails
SilvClass21July2012 029wb.jpg   SilvClass21July2012 033wb.jpg   SilvClass21July2012 034wb.jpg  

SilvClass21July2012 048wb.jpg   SilvClass21July2012 053wb.jpg   SilvClass22July2012 016wb.jpg  

Old 29 Jul 2012, 10:36 (Ref:3113165)   #219
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A few more:-
Attached Thumbnails
SilvClass21July2012 040wb.jpg   SilvClass21July2012 060wb.jpg   SilvClass21July2012 064wb.jpg  

SilvClass21July2012 081wb.jpg   SilvClass22July2012 024wb.jpg   SilvClass22July2012 052wb.jpg  

Old 29 Jul 2012, 18:19 (Ref:3113373)   #220
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
For the first time, I got around using the buses and despite the length of the queues the service was good and swallowed us up quickly. The fabulous historic buses and coaches were actually one of the highlights for me and sitting behind the driver's cab in that wonderful Guy single decker half cab (see below) was fantastic. Shame he didn't hang the tail out in the corners, though! The Royal Blue coach (also below) brought back memeories as it is one of the iconic liveries from my childhood. Picture of one Mike Bell and car taken through the glass darkly (media centre window) included.

Have to say that I'm a bit at odds with one or two here, as I actually rather liked seeing the later saloons as it was something different from the normal fare. Maybe I'm becoming blase, but throwing in the occasional new grid is a good idea - some great liveries too. Talking of liveries the Martini LC2s were fantastic and I'm particularly sorry that once again I wasn't able to catch up with Roger Wills to drool over his Lancia, but then Roger is always a moving target at this meeting jumping from one car to another! The Group C cars which I've probably been a bit ambivalent about in the past put on a great show on Sunday and whilst I know the C9 is a wonderful car and should have won really anyway, I was cheering on the Jagermeister 962 (another mega livery) and the Martini LC2s, hopeful that one of them would overcome the Silver Arrow. Good to see some 962s out this year, but instead we seemed short on Jaguars! Probably the Pre 63 GT grid was again my favourite. Anyway enough waffle, a few paddock shots. I might get around to putting some shots up of the few races I actually saw, later
Great shots John! I too love the old buses and coaches and was disappointed that competitors were moved around in very new Transits! Sorry to have missed you but as already observed many times the two paddocks are worlds apart. I presume the media centre is hermetically sealed so you couldn't hurl abuse while taking the Escort pic!

Regarding liveries, there is a Jagermeister M3 for sale in Europe

Old 29 Jul 2012, 19:06 (Ref:3113384)   #221
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Some of Alex's pictures...when he gets his @r5e into gear he'll have more on his finalpiecephotography.co.uk web site. Sorry about the blurry bit in front of your car Mike, he was trying out his new lens and the grandstand pillar got in the way!
Attached Thumbnails
Lairy Canary.jpg   roger lancia small.jpg   roger.jpg  

d type.jpg   wheelspin.jpg   956-Sauber.jpg  

Last edited by midgetman; 29 Jul 2012 at 19:14.
Old 29 Jul 2012, 20:37 (Ref:3113411)   #222
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
A few pictures from the meeting at picasaweb.google.co.uk/rbmapics

Several of the Kieft which sounded great.

thanx,
the Kieft has an oldfashioned straight through exhaust that makes a great very traditional motorracing noise
we do have a silencer for it, when its needed

Rudolf
Old 29 Jul 2012, 20:39 (Ref:3113415)   #223
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaholic View Post

thank You for the flowers...

that was only the 2nd race of the car and it is still very much unsorted allthough the actual rebuild is suberb

it will get quicker over time

Rudolf
Old 30 Jul 2012, 10:36 (Ref:3113643)   #224
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
No race reports from me, but a few pics from Race 3 which was about half way through by the time I reached the circuit on Saturday:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6376wb.jpg   IMG_6380wb.jpg   IMG_6401wb.jpg  

IMG_6423wb.jpg   IMG_6494wb.jpg   IMG_6510wb.jpg  

Old 2 Aug 2012, 07:36 (Ref:3115090)   #225
Crazy Craig
Rookie

England
Upshire, Essex
Crazy Craig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
Unbelievable save by Craig Davies, wasn't it? Disaster averted in fine style!
Here it is as I saw it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRMV2w9SEJA

Last edited by Crazy Craig; 2 Aug 2012 at 07:53.