Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 16 Feb 2013, 00:38 (Ref:3205631)   #201
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post
And Ugy why do you continue to post just stupid remarks? it doesn't do any favours for you and the sport.

unsure i am reading it correctly, but i thought Ugy was commenting that with your excellent full day report, that Sommesby had some competition ??
Old 16 Feb 2013, 00:49 (Ref:3205633)   #202
adbutler
Racer

New Zealand
Waikuku Beach, Canterbury, NZ
adbutler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin'joe View Post
unsure i am reading it correctly, but i thought Ugy was commenting that with your excellent full day report, that Sommesby had some competition ??
that's how i read it as well.
Old 16 Feb 2013, 01:13 (Ref:3205639)   #203
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Southern Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

In a clear indication that van Gisbergen will be a huge factor in the seven-round Championship, the 23-year-old recorded a 1:04.082s on a set of Hankook slicks that had endured two previous race meetings
Of course Shayne could just be playing mind games with his competition.

As Ernie Sprague often said, "when the flag drops the BS stops"

Roll on Sunday and maybe someone could start a pickums competition for the season as its still not too late for that. Close of entries could be midnight tonight.
Old 16 Feb 2013, 01:29 (Ref:3205642)   #204
Ugy
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
Ugy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
That's exactly what i meant,amazing how people can turn it around. last time i try and talk someone up.
Old 16 Feb 2013, 01:50 (Ref:3205651)   #205
DX20VT
Racer

DX20VT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
i thought it was a wierd reply too
as I read it as Ugy saying that it was a good report and was just basically saying "thanks for a good informative post"

??
Old 16 Feb 2013, 02:08 (Ref:3205658)   #206
nistfan
Racer

New Zealand
nistfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Hi all just got back from P1 and P2 at HD.

The gates were not locked, TV3 were there, and so were the cars. Funny that.

Anyway, i had a good long chat with a number of drivers, team members and executives while i was there and can answer some of the above Q's. First of all though, i must say how laid back everyone was today, you could just rock into anyones garage and strike up a convo.....which i did.

First surprise of the day was to see SVG there as i thought he would be in Aus. Never met the guy before, but he was very friendly and open about the class. As i suggested on here a while back his rear window just has 97 and SVG written on it. The size of the number is much more akin to Supercars and looks way better. He confirmed that he was getting to grips with the car, and getting used to the torque and the tyes. And by P2 he's on top. I was the first person to buy up some of the SVG promo gear, and when i walked into the IMS garage Shane was talking with Ant (also a really nice guy) and he was like "hey havn't seen that gear before, looks cool" so i got him and Ant to sign me cap!

Anyway Ant and his team said they were only intending on running the one car, and a bit after that i caught up with Jonny Reid (also a nice guy - who signed me new cap!) and he said they couldn't find a backer for his car, and as we all know this sport is all about the dollar dollar bills ya'll. I am surprised that someone of Jonnys calibre cannot find a backer, hopefully this will change.

Ash Walsh has indeed stepped in to replace Kayne Scott at the last minute. The car began the day in pure red, but by P2 it had 'BOC' down one side and on the bonnet. Car looked very nice and clean i must say.

Also caught up with Simon Evans who is fizzing about this year. Andre was also very engaging and was telling me of his development series stuff for this year, and how V8SC are now seeing the ST's as a true feeder/working platform to their series. I got the impression Paul Morris has been very impressed and has been raving about the series in Aus.

Caught up with Didier too, and asked if MSNZ had turned up and sanctioned the series. Answer "Nope"....are you worred about that Didier? "not at all, we will just carry on what we do best" Nice one Didier (once again you could just bowl up to these people and have a chat)

Mark Chromie is not a very happy man as it seems their team was one of the last to get Tech bulletin #22 about engine mods. Seems weird that one of the drawcard teams were last on the list, but Mark was very vocal in what he thought should be done in the cars. He believes that simply dropping the redline to 6.3 or 6.4 would not lead to any performance issues at all. He also believes that these things will give the supercar CoTF a real run for its money. SVG on the other hand just said that they were two very different things, but he did agree that they would be damn close, and because of the Hankook, the ST would outlast a SC on that fact alone.

Paul Manuell was as freidnly as always and he appreciated my comments on the new look of his car.

Johnny Mac was very focused today but also happy to meet and great and share his views for this season - he says he will be a force to be reckoned with, and i believe him.

Paul Ceprinich was there with his new three car team (MPC) and all looked very focused.

Murph was his usualy friendly and approachable self, and more than willing to share his views with the MSNZ debacle and also the 'lame-duck' TLX (his words not mine!).

Dominic Storeys car, IMO is by far the best looking.

Andy Booth was on fire from the first lap, he's so quick in that car around HD.

But yeah biggest highlight for me was finally meeting SVG. He comes across as a real nice guy, and he is stoked to be racing here.

#1 car looks great with its new livery, and Matt Lockwood had a few goes in it, while trying to keep it straight. Must be cool tho to say that you are actually the first person to drive the #1 car

The series has clearly stepped up from last year. It will be a great season.

The talk of MSNZ and lack of support rattled around all of the garages and the punters. Everyone was on the same page about this issue, and clearly MSNZ are not even reading the same book, let alone the same page. But no one there really seems to care. They are doing a great series, the cars look even better this year (and yes happy to report there are still flames coming from the exhausts on the new gas, but just a little less than last year) the drivers are all very happy and easy to engage.

Seriously the best day of 'free' motorsport in my little life thats for sure

Sunday will be epic
Can we have another Report today please, cant make it over the Weekend
Old 16 Feb 2013, 02:14 (Ref:3205662)   #207
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Southern Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I too took it as being a compliment to the work of NZSTfan placing it alongside that which we have come to expect of Shaun's for its informative content.
Old 16 Feb 2013, 03:03 (Ref:3205675)   #208
HProject
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
HProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't give a V8STFan-style write-up (mostly because I've spent the day in isolation in the wilderness haha), but I can link a pic of the 60 minute test session timesheets.

Will put some images up here when I can. The SVG machine spent the day in the garage (it appears they chose to rest the car for the day).
Old 16 Feb 2013, 03:49 (Ref:3205690)   #209
Alpina107
Rookie

Alpina107 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HProject View Post
The SVG machine spent the day in the garage (it appears they chose to rest the car for the day).
The car being "rested" probably had something to do with the driver being in Australia completing his SC duties - eighth in the first 3-hour test session at Eastern Creek.

Last edited by Alpina107; 16 Feb 2013 at 03:49. Reason: Spelling
Old 16 Feb 2013, 03:51 (Ref:3205691)   #210
HProject
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
HProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina107 View Post
The car being "rested" probably had something to do with the driver being in Australia completing his SC duties - eighth in the first 3-hour test session at Eastern Creek.
Yes true I thought though that they might get someone to peddle the car for the day in his absence, like how Lockwood's circulating in the McLaughlin car.
Old 16 Feb 2013, 04:00 (Ref:3205696)   #211
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugy View Post
That's exactly what i meant,amazing how people can turn it around. last time i try and talk someone up.

Ok, it appears i may have got the wrong end of the stick, and if so, please accept my apologies. I thought you were having a go at Shaun Summerfield. If you like my posts, please just say so. But anyway, it does appear that i interpreted things wrong.

Todays report,

Well we went down for P3 but got held up in stupid Auckland Traffic so we were about 10 minutes late, but never mind. Obviously SVG and Scott were not there, and to be honest i thought we would see a high 1.03, but alas, we did not, i think the best was 1.04.2 or thereabouts by Ant.

Ash Walsh's car looks quite complete now and with just a nice simple livery. I was chatting with some punters there today who were thinking that some of the cars were beginning to look cluttered (more NASCA-ish) and i think when you see car #47 up close, I can see what they mean.

But anyway horses for courses i suppose. Air temps were around 25 Deg C with a small breeze from the SW with some minor cloud cover (which i am happy about because this is about only the second time my weather predictions have worked!!).

The pit garages were still open to the public and today i spent time talking with Mike Pero as i know him, and we had a good yarn about the series and his business interests. At the time we also purchased a Mike Pero racing jacket for the dad in law and had that signed by Murph and Moore (couldn't track down Manuell for the trifecta!). So had a nice chat with Moore and once again, hes a nice bloke.

This is the thing that has really got us this season, just how approachable and friendly everyone is. Today was obviously a bit more hardcore as the teams are looking for qually setups, but still, you could approach people, say g'day and have a yarn while cars wizzed past you.

Punter wise, not a huge amount to be honest but i think that is to be expected when there is not much on today. 2moro should be very large and very busy with 4 events for the ST's (qual + 3 races)

Also, Matt Lockwood was still driving the #1 car, and getting progresively better with the cars.

Interesting to see top 15 cars all covered by 1 second

And thats about it really.

Last edited by NZSTfan; 16 Feb 2013 at 04:07.
Old 16 Feb 2013, 07:23 (Ref:3205750)   #212
Sommersby
Racer

Sommersby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugy View Post
Hi Ugy, please accept my full and unreserved apology.

I genuinely thought I was coping yet another serve for my alleged bias towards ST. Funnily enough, someone at Hampton Downs asked me why I replied as if you'd had a crack. Which is why I've just logged on after walking in the door.

Shaun.
Old 16 Feb 2013, 07:28 (Ref:3205753)   #213
Sommersby
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewayz View Post
Defensive much Smosby.....? Usually a sign of guilt
Defensive yes, guilty...not one bit.
Old 16 Feb 2013, 08:58 (Ref:3205793)   #214
HProject
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
Few more snaps for me. One of the setting changes I made in the morning resulted in most of my pics coming out rather crap, but ah well. I've got Sunday to make up for it.

[img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8371/8477365901_9a1a9d7a58_c.jpg[/img

Old 16 Feb 2013, 10:13 (Ref:3205816)   #215
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by womanbelonginthekitchen View Post
SVG only set the fastest lap becuse he was the only one to run green tyres !!!!! the tell point will be tomorrow
I think you mean womEn belong in the kitchen...
Old 16 Feb 2013, 12:11 (Ref:3205844)   #216
Blackpearl
Racer

Blackpearl is a back marker
Quote:
Never noticed it before until it got bought up on here. But HProjects pics surely do show a bridgstone sticker right where the Hankook one is. As GB states above, it must be a contractual thing. Nothing more nothing less i'd say.

And Ugy why do you continue to post just stupid remarks? it doesn't do any favours for you and the sport.

Promax, pity you can't make it mate, but never mind

Hopefully you'll watch the TV3 package 2moro. 3pm CRC Motorpsort - you should series link it bro.....its good as
How can it be a contractual thing? Rules state where it must be.
Or is Murph Special? Stuff like this and the inconsitities in the rules, why have rules?
Old 16 Feb 2013, 19:37 (Ref:3205948)   #217
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommersby View Post
Defensive yes, guilty...not one bit.
interesting story last night.

is MSNZ really trying to stop the series.. or is there someone in MSNZ that just doesn't like the series?
Old 16 Feb 2013, 23:38 (Ref:3206020)   #218
adbutler
Racer

New Zealand
Waikuku Beach, Canterbury, NZ
adbutler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
any signs of last years gearbox/engine issues after the first race?
Old 17 Feb 2013, 07:45 (Ref:3206058)   #219
smokin'joe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpearl View Post
I still wonder how Murph gets away with having bridgestone where in the rules hankook should be.
am also curious that Jmac has a Willans harness, where i thought Sabelt selts and harnesses were required to be used, as purchased from Autoquip ??
Old 17 Feb 2013, 07:48 (Ref:3206059)   #220
smokin'joe
Veteran

not a bad bit of racing to day. bit of action, some dramas. good stuff.

Shaun, one bugear. while they were clowning around on the poduim, a quick scroll of round points wouldn't go astray.was hoing to see how Giz compared with Pederson etc... must have been close-ish ??
Old 17 Feb 2013, 08:03 (Ref:3206064)   #221
Vanishing Point
Racer

Vanishing Point should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It wouldbe good to get the points at the end of then Show...

Last edited by Vanishing Point; 17 Feb 2013 at 08:23. Reason: Spelling
Old 17 Feb 2013, 08:15 (Ref:3206068)   #222
smokin'joe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanishing Point View Post
Hi Smokin'Joe,

Valid point, we will work on it for Ruapuna. FYI we are working with ST to get the info as soon as possible for our viewers.

Nigel
Producer
CRC Motorsport Tv3
so, mr Vanishing Point are you in fact Nigel Carpenter ??
Old 17 Feb 2013, 08:16 (Ref:3206069)   #223
nistfan
Racer

New Zealand
nistfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by adbutler View Post
any signs of last years gearbox/engine issues after the first race?
No Issues in either department by the sounds. I of course stand to be corrected on that one.

Cunningham had a power steering Issue. Loose Cap

McLennen knocked off the Kill Switch and Scott McL went onto 7, but may have just been a sensor, not 100% on that
Old 17 Feb 2013, 09:05 (Ref:3206090)   #224
Sommersby
Racer

Quote:
not a bad bit of racing to day. bit of action, some dramas. good stuff.

Shaun, one bugear. while they were clowning around on the poduim, a quick scroll of round points wouldn't go astray.was hoing to see how Giz compared with Pederson etc... must have been close-ish ??
I agree, we struggled with that last season too. I'll do my best to sort it.
Old 17 Feb 2013, 09:07 (Ref:3206091)   #225
smokin'joe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommersby View Post
I agree, we struggled with that last season too. I'll do my best to sort it.
awesome. credit to the camera team, they managed to capture all the juicy bits.