Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 10 May 2023, 10:34 (Ref:4155361)   #201
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Yep. As a very 'casual' BTCC watcher, the chicane seemed to be rendered pretty pointless by what I saw.
Yes, I remember when it was pretty much straight-lined. Before that it was a spectacular sight cars clipping the kerbs through there. They've since put in better kerbs to stop people cutting though I believe

BTW, wasn't it refreshing to hear Dan Cam in an interview during the stoppage of R1 instead of moaning about the BMW/RWD start advantage, just say, quite rightly, all cars have their strengths and weaknesses. I've always felt the same
Old 10 May 2023, 14:14 (Ref:4155400)   #202
Michael Foley
Rookie

Michael Foley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
The cynic in me says they won't. Over the years we've seen the Neal vs Plato rivalry help to boost the series, and with both of those now retired they need a replacement.
Sutton is in the muller position.

He ain't a panto villain like plato was.

Sutton is one of those drivers you would just love to slap.
Old 10 May 2023, 14:25 (Ref:4155402)   #203
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Foley View Post

How grown up
Old 10 May 2023, 14:26 (Ref:4155403)   #204
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
I wasn't suggesting that Collard / Sutton would be a direct replacement for either Neal or Plato but just that TOCA like to see some rivalry and public bickering as it's good for fan engagement and press headlines
Old 10 May 2023, 14:56 (Ref:4155412)   #205
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Foley View Post

Real high quality discourse there, thanks for that.

Sutton seems to me to be far and away the best driver in the field. His ability to drive pretty much anything to the maximum and sometimes a bit beyond yet not end up in the neighbouring corn fields is something to relish, not hate.

I reckon when he gets bored with the BTCC he could pick and choose from any number of overseas series - hell, even NASCAR - and be up at the pointy end pretty quickly.
Old 10 May 2023, 15:51 (Ref:4155417)   #206
hen henths
Racer

hen henths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Roll on Snett' so we can hopefully change the subject!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
I reckon when he gets bored with the BTCC he could pick and choose from any number of overseas series - hell, even NASCAR - and be up at the pointy end pretty quickly.
Pretty sure you're right.
Old 10 May 2023, 15:55 (Ref:4155418)   #207
DaviePHD
Rookie

DaviePHD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

My Money is on Aussie V8's, and I reckon he'd kick ass.
Old 10 May 2023, 16:02 (Ref:4155419)   #208
Michael Foley
Rookie

Michael Foley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Real high quality discourse there, thanks for that.

Sutton seems to me to be far and away the best driver in the field. His ability to drive pretty much anything to the maximum and sometimes a bit beyond yet not end up in the neighbouring corn fields is something to relish, not hate.

I don't agree with you but I'm not attacking you.

Its my opinion, you might wanna kiss the guy.
Others on the other hand might not.
Old 10 May 2023, 17:39 (Ref:4155437)   #209
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaviePHD View Post
He did actually take part in an 'evaluation day' back at the start of 2018 with Walkinshaw Andretti:

https://au.motorsport.com/v8supercar...16417/1397347/
Old 10 May 2023, 18:32 (Ref:4155444)   #210
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaviePHD View Post
Oh I'd love to see Ash in Supercars! It's proven to be terribly difficult for foreigners (ie not Aussies or Kiwis) but my impression is Sutton could belong there and race those cars pretty fast!
Old 10 May 2023, 18:54 (Ref:4155447)   #211
Pickles
Veteran

Pickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Changing the subject slightly as its been a few days now... didn't Bobby T do well?
Old 10 May 2023, 19:37 (Ref:4155463)   #212
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
Changing the subject slightly as its been a few days now... didn't Bobby T do well?
Seems to be something about Brands Hatch! 6th in the championship! Hope it lasts, that side of the garage at least is going well.

Feel like the top five is going to be set in stone now - Cammish, Sutton, Ingram, Turkington and Hill in some order.

Also nice to see Pearson qualifying great again and be rewarded with a couple point scoring finishes,
Old 10 May 2023, 19:54 (Ref:4155470)   #213
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
Oh I'd love to see Ash in Supercars! It's proven to be terribly difficult for foreigners (ie not Aussies or Kiwis) but my impression is Sutton could belong there and race those cars pretty fast!
Didn’t he test there a while ago?
Old 10 May 2023, 22:24 (Ref:4155490)   #214
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Didn’t he test there a while ago?
He did, as mentioned by another poster
Old 11 May 2023, 00:11 (Ref:4155494)   #215
WestHam92
Rookie

European Union
WestHam92 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
This forum does have a search function.
Oh touché sir, touché
Old 11 May 2023, 05:41 (Ref:4155500)   #216
Pickles
Veteran

Pickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post

Feel like the top five is going to be set in stone now - Cammish, Sutton, Ingram, Turkington and Hill in some order.

Also nice to see Pearson qualifying great again and be rewarded with a couple point scoring finishes
Think you could be right, interesting to see who makes up the rest of the top 10 at the end of the season. Anyone betting against Sutton for the title?
Old 11 May 2023, 14:12 (Ref:4155544)   #217
hen henths
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
Anyone betting against Sutton for the title?
I get the feeling he will get it this year, considering he came quite close last year and how much better developed the Ford is now.

It's far from certain though as he could quite easily have a lot more weekends like Donington, the competition is as strong as ever, and I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if boost levels get tweaked at some point from where they are now.

The more interesting question is who's his biggest challenger this year? If Sutton wins, who will be 2nd?
Old 11 May 2023, 14:49 (Ref:4155553)   #218
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the thing that Sutton somehow does what others can't is to drive fast on cold tyres
Old 11 May 2023, 15:10 (Ref:4155555)   #219
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
Quote:
Originally Posted by hen henths View Post
I get the feeling he will get it this year, considering he came quite close last year and how much better developed the Ford is now.

It's far from certain though as he could quite easily have a lot more weekends like Donington, the competition is as strong as ever, and I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if boost levels get tweaked at some point from where they are now.

The more interesting question is who's his biggest challenger this year? If Sutton wins, who will be 2nd?
Why would TOCA adjust boost levels? Everybody seems to be saying the Ford chassis is on rails and that's not power
Old 11 May 2023, 15:14 (Ref:4155557)   #220
hen henths
Racer

Quote:
Why would TOCA adjust boost levels? Everybody seems to be saying the Ford chassis is on rails and that's not power
I don't think they should adjust them in this case. It's just an observation over the years that it happens a lot. I also wasn't necessarily suggesting the Ford would get the adjustment - maybe one of the others will get an increase in boost.
Old 11 May 2023, 15:27 (Ref:4155563)   #221
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
Quote:
I don't think they should adjust them in this case. It's just an observation over the years that it happens a lot. I also wasn't necessarily suggesting the Ford would get the adjustment - maybe one of the others will get an increase in boost.
So thats how hard work is rewarded? Might aswell build a rubbish car and wait for a leg up!
Old 11 May 2023, 15:29 (Ref:4155564)   #222
hen henths
Racer

Quote:
So thats how hard work is rewarded? Might aswell build a rubbish car and wait for a leg up!
Again, I quite agree with you. And I don't have any information on this, it's pure speculation.
Old 11 May 2023, 15:58 (Ref:4155570)   #223
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
people love a consipracy theory
it doesnt 'happen a lot'

it happened when they were trying to find the right boost levels of the subaru boxer engine because it was so different and i think it happened early last year when they were finding the right level for the all new toca engine. but they dont constantly play with boost levels during the year just to reduce the success of a car or driver or to make one faster

Last edited by touring fan01; 11 May 2023 at 16:05.
Old 11 May 2023, 17:25 (Ref:4155586)   #224
hen henths
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
people love a consipracy theory
it doesnt 'happen a lot'

it happened when they were trying to find the right boost levels of the subaru boxer engine because it was so different and i think it happened early last year when they were finding the right level for the all new toca engine. but they dont constantly play with boost levels during the year just to reduce the success of a car or driver or to make one faster
Once or twice every year or so seems like a lot to me, given how much it can change the results. It's been done to a few different cars over the years.
Old 11 May 2023, 17:34 (Ref:4155588)   #225
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Once or twice every year or so seems like a lot to me, given how much it can change the results. It's been done to a few different cars over the years.
over the last five years name those cars and drivers that have had the boost changed during the season once or twice every year apart from those two i mentioned